Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Dren posted:

unsure, as i don’t have a scale underneath. how much should i be pulling?

taking a look around online it seems like 2.5-3 is fairly popular with pretty long pre-infusion times, I'd search around online to see what recipes people are using w/ their robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Sweeper posted:

taking a look around online it seems like 2.5-3 is fairly popular with pretty long pre-infusion times, I'd search around online to see what recipes people are using w/ their robot

cool, thanks. I tried about six different techniques just now and so far the best was 15g at 6 bars. Still too sour but moving in the right direction. The first recipe I found says to do 10-12 seconds pre-infusion at 2 bars then move to 6 bars. Makes sense. I’ll pick up a scale that fits under the robot so I can dial in the ratio.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

If you don't have a grinder, I imagine this process will be 10x more difficult.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Dren posted:

unsure, as i don’t have a scale that will fit underneath. my guess is around 30g. how much should i be pulling?

Since you can't easily change grind, and I'm not sure the minimum dose on the robot, change yield (more output = more extraction). https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/the-espresso-compass/ For a scale that fits in the robot I believe this works, has fast response, a timer (but don't pay attention to time): https://www.amazon.com/Weightman-Espresso-Stainless-Weighting-Batteries/dp/B08CDRBJD6. As mentioned, use boiling water, all the time. You can also preheat various parts of the system if needed. As seen in these tests, preheating helps a lot with temp loss, and you'll want temps high for lighter roasted coffee: https://www.home-barista.com/levers/cafelat-robot-temperature-tests-t65550.html

dedian fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 22, 2021

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Minimum dose is 10g and the manual recommends starting at a 14g dose and adjusting, so it's still in the range.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

:siren: Hoffmann's Aeropress technique video is up :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6VlT_jUVPc

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

I finally got the extraction figured out for my mix of Kenya and Sumatra Blue Batak, it straight up tastes like chocolate

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009

404notfound posted:

Just did two attempts at this recipe. The two resulting cups (I adjusted the grind slight courser on the second cup) were in my coffee drinking experience very over extracted. I then realized I mistakenly skipped the additional 30 seconds of pre-infusion he recommends.

For my next go around I'll shoot for an even courser grind, and see what happens. I was also very surprised that he found no observable difference between using the inverted method and the standard. I haven't used the standard method in months, and forgot how much water you lose to gravity (especially over a 2.5 minute pre infusion period) while waiting to extract. I feel like the difference in volume of water steeping to coffee would adjust the extraction you would get between the two methods.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

404notfound posted:

I love how simple this ended up, especially if you're inclined to use lighter roasts. He really cuts through a lot of myths inherited from other coffee production techniques and/or total nonsense (stopping your press at the hiss makes no sense at all if you think about it).

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

Skooms posted:

I haven't used the standard method in months, and forgot how much water you lose to gravity (especially over a 2.5 minute pre infusion period) while waiting to extract. I feel like the difference in volume of water steeping to coffee would adjust the extraction you would get between the two methods.

If you get a good seal with the plunger while doing the standard method the amount of drip is pretty negligible. He does end up choosing the standard method simply so he can do more volume if needed - if you like inverted the results should be pretty much the same either way.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

If you get a good seal with the plunger while doing the standard method the amount of drip is pretty negligible. He does end up choosing the standard method simply so he can do more volume if needed - if you like inverted the results should be pretty much the same either way.

Ahhhh, yeah that makes sense, thanks! I'm not used to the standard method and was brewing without the plunger.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah i like the simplicity of the recipe but 1:18 feels very long to me

but it's very easy to do at 1:15 and have a stronger cup so w/e

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skooms posted:

Ahhhh, yeah that makes sense, thanks! I'm not used to the standard method and was brewing without the plunger.

Speaking of Aeropress plunger seal, I also love that he reminds folks to pull up on the plunger to create some negative pressure after brewing to prevent drips. Genius!

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I definitely understand why he decided to release thirty minutes of discussion about what does and doesn't factor in to a good cup of coffee from the Aeropress, but also make it its own distinct video. Five minutes of tutorial if you just want the method, and thirty minutes of everything you'd want to know if you were a nerd and wanted to argue with the video.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i feel like the big lesson from this for me (and from trying some really long 5+m steep times), is that it's extremely hard to over-extract light roast coffee so don't worry about it

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I think he mentioned in a previous video that immersion brew methods (like the Aeropress) are pretty hard to over-extract compared to a percolation method, eg pour-over. I don't really understand the chemistry behind this, but it's definitely been mentioned before.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gunder posted:

I think he mentioned in a previous video that immersion brew methods (like the Aeropress) are pretty hard to over-extract compared to a percolation method, eg pour-over. I don't really understand the chemistry behind this, but it's definitely been mentioned before.

yes, it's not a revelation i just had or something, but it's been interesting to see firsthand that the difference between 3:00 immersion and 6:00 isn't that the latter is bitter and unpleasant, they both taste good. it's just that the diminishing returns mean the latter is a bit of a waste of your time for only marginal benefit if any

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Gunder posted:

I could be wrong but I think with perc you hit a point where the brew water has extracted all that it's going to extract and won't do any more. With pour over you're adding fresh water over time so it's constantly extracting more and more. Hoffmann's french press method banks on the same idea-- once the water is saturated it won't keep extracting (to a certain degree, I'm sure if you left it in there for 20 minutes it'd be nasty).

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

RichterIX posted:

I could be wrong but I think with perc you hit a point where the brew water has extracted all that it's going to extract and won't do any more. With pour over you're adding fresh water over time so it's constantly extracting more and more. Hoffmann's french press method banks on the same idea-- once the water is saturated it won't keep extracting (to a certain degree, I'm sure if you left it in there for 20 minutes it'd be nasty).

Did you mean immersion here? If so, this makes sense.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Forgetting your properly brewed French press for 20 minutes is not as bad as you might think. Not great, but not the worst either.

No, I don’t forget that I’m making coffee sometimes, why do you ask?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

TheDarkFlame posted:

I definitely understand why he decided to release thirty minutes of discussion about what does and doesn't factor in to a good cup of coffee from the Aeropress, but also make it its own distinct video. Five minutes of tutorial if you just want the method, and thirty minutes of everything you'd want to know if you were a nerd and wanted to argue with the video.

I thought this was a great approach too. I think for the V60 video he also did a bunch of testing to develop the technique since he talked a bit about what he found during said testing, but didn’t actually make a video about that part of it.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Jhet posted:

Forgetting your properly brewed French press for 20 minutes is not as bad as you might think. Not great, but not the worst either.

No, I don’t forget that I’m making coffee sometimes, why do you ask?

You haven't had you coffee yet; it's excusable.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

HappyHippo posted:

Did you mean immersion here? If so, this makes sense.

Yup, I am a dumbass!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

It's always been a bit of an annoyance to me that Hoffmann's V60 method seems to produce underwhelming cups. I think someone mentioned once that it works much better for larger brews.

It certainly pales in comparison to the 4:6 method or Scott Rao's method for single servings.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Gunder posted:

single servings.

Found the problem

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't understand what "single serving" means in the context of coffee. Do you mean "one xx-large thermos full"?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

Speaking of Aeropress plunger seal, I also love that he reminds folks to pull up on the plunger to create some negative pressure after brewing to prevent drips. Genius!

*blinks*

well now that I think about it its kinda obvious

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

404notfound posted:

OK gonna watch this if only to see if he explains why the numbers are on the side when the entire thing won't fill an 8 oz cup as it is.

I still think its by far the tastiest coffee that I can make, even when my espresso maker is working.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

KillHour posted:

I don't understand what "single serving" means in the context of coffee. Do you mean "one xx-large thermos full"?

Generally, I've found that most specialty coffee people tend to assume a single serving is around 250ml of coffee. That's more or less what I get out of a 300g total brew weight V60 with 20g of ground coffee.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

How is the Delonghi dedica pump manual ec685?

Is it possible to grind for espresso using a manual grinder?

Which would you choose, a Rancilio Silvia v6 or a Gaggio classic pro?

KinkyJohn fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 23, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

KinkyJohn posted:

How is the Delonghi dedica pump manual ec685?

i can’t quite parse your post. but if you’re asking, generally, how good it is at espresso, the answer is mixed. btw it’s not a manual espresso machine, it’s a semi-automatic because it’s supplying the pressure and performing the extraction for you. a true manual would involve some levers or something.

it gets a lot of scorn from aficionados for a couple of reasons: it has a pressurized portafilter as well as a hamfisted steam wand jacket.

both of these...innovations...were designed to make making espresso-based drinks easier for people who don’t know what they’re doing. which is theoretically fine. but they also serve to muddle things up and as a result will limit how good of a drink you can make.

the good news is that they’re both surmountable. the portafilter on the dedica is iirc 51mm (standard is 58mm i believe, someone correct me if i’m wrong) and you can buy a third-party unpressurized basket for the portafilter. just unscrew it, pop it out, pop the new one in, and you’re done.

similarly the sleeve on the steam wand can be removed or you can even just replace it entirely with the steam wand from rancilio. both of these mods are easy (especially the portafilter) and cheap to do. together they make the dedica pretty capable especially for its price range.

there is a competing product, the bambino, from breville. it is basically the dedica but built by breville, down to the 51mm portafilter and pressurized basket.

is this a machine you have, or one you want? keep in mind that either way you’ll be wanting to invest in a grinder since these are the sorts of machines that will (edit: left out the not) not grind your beans for you.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 23, 2021

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

mediaphage posted:

is this a machine you have, or one you want? keep in mind that either way you’ll be wanting to invest in a grinder since these are the sorts of machines that will grind your beans for you.

Thanks for the in-depth reply. Yes, I'm looking into getting a machine and I'm considering my options as local availability is limited. Right now I'm trying to get a bigger picture of what is possible within a budget of say $600. I'm willing to learn and really do a deep dive into perfecting a cup of espresso.

I have a local supplier with a great selection of beans who will do a fresh roast to spec and on demand for me personally, and I feel like I should make the most of this opportunity to get some really good coffee brewin at home

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

KinkyJohn posted:

Thanks for the in-depth reply. Yes, I'm looking into getting a machine and I'm considering my options as local availability is limited. Right now I'm trying to get a bigger picture of what is possible within a budget of say $600. I'm willing to learn and really do a deep dive into perfecting a cup of espresso.

I have a local supplier with a great selection of beans who will do a fresh roast to spec and on demand for me personally, and I feel like I should make the most of this opportunity to get some really good coffee brewin at home

Is this $600 all in (grinder, machine, accessories)?

There are manual grinders for espresso, but it seems like a lot of work to me lol

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Sweeper posted:

Is this $600 all in (grinder, machine, accessories)?

There are manual grinders for espresso, but it seems like a lot of work to me lol

When I was using a 1zpresso jx-pro for espresso (18g dose) it was like 30-40s of grinding. Other hand grinders with less aggressive burrs will take a lot longer.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Once work from home is over nobody is going to use manual espresso grinders anymore

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Once work from home is over nobody is going to use manual espresso grinders anymore

Work from home is the alpha and the omega - it always has been and always will be. You are all just catching a small glimpse of my eternal reality. :smithicide:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

KinkyJohn posted:

i'd take a good look at the gaggia classic pro: https://amzn.to/2QPBR3t

it's something that will make good shots and not hold you back as you learn more about coffee.

you'll often hear that the grinder is as important if not more so than the espresso machine and that's in some ways true. with that said, the gaggia should last for basically ever with some maintenance or parts, and that gives you a chance to upgrade the grinder later on. you can also do this the other way around if you really want.

if you're looking for an electric grinder i'd take a look at the breville smart grinder pro: https://amzn.to/3vjDrcN

if you want a hand grinder i'd check out the 1Zpresso JX-PRO: https://amzn.to/2QrqVZR

Gunder
May 22, 2003

KinkyJohn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HIGdYy5of4

Give this a watch.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

The EC685 is pretty solid for a entry-level machine if you don't plan on turning your addiction into a hobby; I have several space-limited friends very happy with theirs. With $600 and a desire for perfection, some flavor of Gaggia Classic and a Baratza grinder is a very solid launching-off point with room to grow though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

KinkyJohn posted:

really do a deep dive into perfecting a cup of espresso.

Get a flair and spend the rest of your budget on the grinder. Baratza vario, eureka mignon, niche if you can stretch (and wait)