Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I just started playing this game a week or so ago and I’m really surprised at how different the order of exploration can go by looking at this play through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Those big elite guards are the only enemies I consistently skip. Takes too much effort for not enough reward.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Longnail and Mark of Pride do indeed stack :eng101: There are a bunch of charms that interact with each other in special ways, though it's not obvious when you've come up with a functional pairing until you see it in action.

Also I'm almost certain that the big gold bug dropped 420 Geo :420:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's not really a blind LP until the player has found something their more experienced co-commentator didn't know about.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Commander Keene posted:

It's not really a blind LP until the player has found something their more experienced co-commentator didn't know about.

Hell, I found that treasure, I needed more upgrades to reach it, and I had this "He's never gonna find that treasure- wait- :aaaaa:" reaction.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
A speedrun I recently watched gets that treasure, not for 100% but for convenient money. I also hadn't known it was there. Wild that Nat just does it.

C-Euro posted:

Longnail and Mark of Pride do indeed stack :eng101: There are a bunch of charms that interact with each other in special ways, though it's not obvious when you've come up with a functional pairing until you see it in action.

Also I'm almost certain that the big gold bug dropped 420 Geo :420:
He did. Timely!

This is about where the actual story begins to happen. It's crazy how much more sense what the Dreamers say makes after you've finished the game. Right now, it might as well be gibberish.

quiznossubs92
Nov 8, 2010
Yorkshire Tea has far more restraint than I do. I now count at least 2 times Nat20 has been literal inches away from a hidden path, not found it, and walked away.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I know it's optional, but I hope Nat finds the Crystal Guardian. I can see that fight being tough for him since, like me, he's prone to jump into easily avoidable attacks like Mantis Lords' thrown spears. Plus the beams do 2 damage. If he beats him on the first try I'll be amazed.

Also hope he finds the Hive. Considering how much he uses his hadouken he has a better chance of finding the Hive earlier than I did.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Shyfted One posted:

Also hope he finds the Hive. Considering how much he uses his hadouken he has a better chance of finding the Hive earlier than I did.

It's funny you mention this, just 20 minutes ago I found that hidden path by shooting the bee because i fell down and hit the spikes at the bottom and got pissed, opening up the (what i assume to be) hive.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

It's funny you mention this, just 20 minutes ago I found that hidden path by shooting the bee because i fell down and hit the spikes at the bottom and got pissed, opening up the (what i assume to be) hive.

Yeah, that's how I found it too. I think that is partially intentional placement.

I also love that there are a bunch of dumb skips in this game built off it's basic movement mechanics that the devs intentionally kept in or even added.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tylana posted:

Yeah, that's how I found it too. I think that is partially intentional placement.

I also love that there are a bunch of dumb skips in this game built off it's basic movement mechanics that the devs intentionally kept in or even added.

I know when I first saw hornet looking down at me from that ledge in Greenpath I was determined to get up there and spent 15 minutes luring the mosquito enemy into juuust the right place so I could pogo off it to reach.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

quiznossubs92 posted:

Yorkshire Tea has far more restraint than I do. I now count at least 2 times Nat20 has been literal inches away from a hidden path, not found it, and walked away.

Yeah, I counted two too, and laughed when Nat20 missed those and just stumbled into the golden husk. The one at the dashmaster, and king's station, I assume?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Simply Simon posted:

This is about where the actual story begins to happen. It's crazy how much more sense what the Dreamers say makes after you've finished the game. Right now, it might as well be gibberish.

I've seen everything in the game, watched a lot of lore videos and such, and I'm still not entirely sure what happens when they first appear in Greenpath.

Reveilled posted:

I know when I first saw hornet looking down at me from that ledge in Greenpath I was determined to get up there and spent 15 minutes luring the mosquito enemy into juuust the right place so I could pogo off it to reach.

The speedrun trick there is that the Vengeful Spirit pushes you backwards a bit, so if you jump, turn to face away from the ledge, and cast three times, it'll push you backwards onto it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Would that make the knight X? :v:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh wow, I had no idea you could get thoughts out of the dreamshield shrine.

I guess the purpose of having you already have missed Cornifer is to push you to go back to the shop and discover there are new pins for you to buy for the new collectables.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Crystal Peak! I always forget how exactly one gets here for whatever reason. I believe you can't interact with that tollgate without the lantern. It's one of my favorite areas in the game, mostly for its aesthetic. Can't wait to see more of it next time.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Tenebrais posted:

You can get thoughts out of a fair few shrines that have charms in them! NPCs and corpses, too, though that's more well-known, I guess. They have pretty interesting things to say sometimes.

Also, all that Geo falling off the conveyor belt hurt me spiritually. I know it's not much, but it's something, dammit! Gathering Swarm is really good! And only one notch, not two!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

...and the Seer said to the little ghost "hey buddy, you ever tried DMT?"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

"Remnant Psyches"? Tea has Nat analyze the plot of Hollow Knight, little does Nat know its just a warm-up for Killer 7.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

"Remnant Psyches"? Tea has Nat analyze the plot of Hollow Knight, little does Nat know its just a warm-up for Killer 7.

Would.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Unironically Killer 7 is one of Tea's favourite games ever and he's been trying to make me play it for years.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Speaking of Mega Man, all these shield enemies are reminding me of the shield enemies from the Mega Man games. And for such a hard game, Xero's attack patterns are surprisingly basic. He's reminding me of the first boss from Dawn of Sorrow, and that was a pretty easy Igavania.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

I guess the purpose of having you already have missed Cornifer is to push you to go back to the shop and discover there are new pins for you to buy for the new collectables.

I just checked the map and there really is no way to get there without crossing over the dreamer's trap, huh?

Alxprit posted:

Crystal Peak! I always forget how exactly one gets here for whatever reason. I believe you can't interact with that tollgate without the lantern. It's one of my favorite areas in the game, mostly for its aesthetic. Can't wait to see more of it next time.
Was that the tollgate they added in a patch because they didn't want people to get through there without the lantern? It would be super easy, considering it's only one dark room...

I too love the Crystal Peak, for exactly the "gamey" feel, I enjoy the platforming there a lot.

And you're probably forgetting how to get there because there's an alternate way requiring a future powerup.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Having been 'forced' to replay this by the LP I am reminded how much your options fork after the Mantis Claw (especially as you don't have to beat the Lords to get it.)

Also I did the mosquito hop at the start of Greenpath but then had to go all the way back to find Cornifer anyway, lol.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Alxprit posted:

Correct, and the only other entrance is a one-way route. So if you enter by that way and don't have the Lantern, you're trapped until you "clear" this area. Guess what happened to me on my first playthrough!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 24, 2021

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I love how you're also "trapped" in the City of Tears with the door closing behind you, but there's like three ways out if you explore enough.

There's one route that's like I initially assumed it would be designed like: you have to get an ability that allows you to leave the way you came it. However, that's entirely optional as we saw.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Natural 20 posted:

Unironically Killer 7 is one of Tea's favourite games ever and he's been trying to make me play it for years.

Its much more a piece of art than it is a game, but whoo-ey what a piece of art it is. I could probably ramble about it for hours.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Killer 7 is a game I am glad there is a good LP of.

quiznossubs92
Nov 8, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Was that the tollgate they added in a patch because they didn't want people to get through there without the lantern? It would be super easy, considering it's only one dark room...

Specifically, the toll gate in the dark room has always been there, but it got patched at some point to be un-interactable if you don't have the lantern. A while back you could quite easily go directly to Crystal Peak, although I don't think you could get very far in the area without Mantis Claw.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
This thread convinced me to buy the game. I just finished Greenpath. Dunno if I'll catch up with Nat before he beats the game, but I'll try.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Solitair posted:

This thread convinced me to buy the game. I just finished Greenpath. Dunno if I'll catch up with Nat before he beats the game, but I'll try.

Go a different route. Just because you can.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Cactus posted:

Go a different route. Just because you can.

:yeah:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Continually impressed. Crystal Guardian isn't that bad once you understand their pattern, but you get thrown into it with such little warning that it's hard to adapt at it on the fly. It certainly took me a few tries to get that under control. I enjoyed wincing at that fight.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Ah, the net zero heal. I know it well.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Yes, Tea, I think there's potential here.

Also oof at that fall. Hollow Knight is largely good at being easy to get around, but, or perhaps because, its very annoying when you have to deal with a situation where it isn't.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
That was amazing. I can't believe you beat him on the 1st try. Even when I just replayed through most of the game I didn't die at all until I got to Crystal Guardian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Really impressed you managed to sight-read that, that looked tricky.