Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Lol $9k for a stock ‘99 Miata. I paid literally half that for an ‘04 with fewer miles

E: snipologies

Steely Dad fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Darchangel posted:

They’re just terrible aftermarket wheel covers. The proper GM wire covers would look a lot better.

Isn’t that sticker technically defacing the US flag, and therefore unlawful (though unpunishable .)

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1228031674413268997?s=20

and for the record, you're supposed to describe that flag as "bootlicker lives matter"

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Advent Horizon posted:

Same with any clothing made out of the flag.

I think most people get away with it by never actually assembling it into a flag first.

"Most people" don't get away with it, they simply have no idea about the actual true and real rules from both a legal sense and their supposed moral sense.
Ever see some old boomer flying a tattered American flag? Same deal, they are desecrating the flag.
I don't care personally because it's a flag so whatever, but much like Christianity or Catholicism you'd think the people screaming about how important it is would at least understand the basic principles surrounding what they are apparently die-hards about. They don't, they are actually posers.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I think flags on clothes aren’t against the flag code unless the clothes are made out of actual flags.

The clothes still suck but you’re not breaching any code of conduct, just of taste.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Steely Dad posted:

Lol $9k for a stock ‘99 Miata. I paid literally half that for an ‘04 with fewer miles

E: snipologies

The seller didn't know what he had

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
On the topic of loving bootlickers defacing flags. This has been listed for a few months now. bootlicking flag so big the chud can be identified from the moon.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/d/fontana-freightliner-4x4-auto/7304601988.html

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Snowy posted:

I think flags on clothes aren’t against the flag code unless the clothes are made out of actual flags.

The clothes still suck but you’re not breaching any code of conduct, just of taste.

Yeah this. My wife has a bunch of flag clothes and other poo poo but she was born on the 4th of July so she has an excuse I guess :v:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Snowy posted:

Supreme Court rulings on this stuff basically say desecrating the flag is allowed by the 1st Amendment.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
everyone should desecrate that stupid loving flag

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So gentlemen, here's a challenge: what's the dumbest "ran/ran well when parked" U got?

Here's mine:

1973 Dodge D-150 [Facebok bork price]

1973 dodge custom 300! Beautiful project for someone. Pretty sure it has a 318, it's a 4 speed dually. It had a wooden deck back in her day, as u can see the chassie is in great shape no holes just surface rust. The cab in in great shape but will need a floor. Don't seem to be seized at all. Was parked in a shed 25 years ago and left. Paper work come with it. Worked perfectly when parked. Open to all and any offers, but NOT giving it away. Also comes with another bumper.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Was parked in a shed. Remains of shed visible.

Also, 318 and a four speed means that thing has a slant six and a three on the tree.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Nebakenezzer posted:

So gentlemen, here's a challenge: what's the dumbest "ran/ran well when parked" U got?

Here's mine:

1973 Dodge D-150 [Facebok bork price]

1973 dodge custom 300! Beautiful project for someone. Pretty sure it has a 318, it's a 4 speed dually. It had a wooden deck back in her day, as u can see the chassie is in great shape no holes just surface rust. The cab in in great shape but will need a floor. Don't seem to be seized at all. Was parked in a shed 25 years ago and left. Paper work come with it. Worked perfectly when parked. Open to all and any offers, but NOT giving it away. Also comes with another bumper.

Search "will it start old cars" on Youtube.

I mean, it's not horrible for a 1973 Dodge truck.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

This is how bad Miata's have gotten:

This is kinda tempting. Too bad the bed isn't functional.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 22, 2021

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrYenko posted:

Was parked in a shed. Remains of shed visible.

Also, 318 and a four speed means that thing has a slant six and a three on the tree.

Maybe, two more images:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Odometer Rolled Over

$10,000

:v:

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

everyone should desecrate that stupid loving flag

Buddy, they won't even let me desecrate it

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Odometer Rolled Over

$10,000

:v:

I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10....times it rolled over.
It'll probably move for 10k because truck prices have gone absolutely crazy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah if it runs well, that's not far off, out here. A Bronco of that vintage would be 12k and probably run like dogshit.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Bud posted:

It's that time of year when I look at local miatas despite having a well running miata in my garage:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/purcellville-miata-roadster/7310161129.html

Lots to check off here, but loving the timing of the B(lue)LM sticker. Going for a very specific type of buyer or just oblivious?

lol he took that part off

also why the gently caress would a Miata need like every drivetrain component replaced by 125k miles?

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 23, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

It'll probably move for 10k because truck prices have gone absolutely crazy.

All used car prices have gone crazy and I don't get why people are paying these prices for projects or seconds cars like a Miata. I mean I get it if you need a car you don't really have a choice but gently caress the rest. I was thinking about getting a Miata but I'm gonna wait until it all comes down because there's no way this can continue forever, the bubble is gonna burst eventually and I'l be able to get a decent Miata for $3-4k again.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

I'l be able to get a decent Miata for $3-4k again.

This will never happen.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Now I get *why* that engine was used, but kinda unfortunate...

1986 Pontiac Fiero fresh out of storage Built by Fiero Addictions,California car 4.9 L V8 Northstar Engine
Lowered suspension, 17HR SS Wheels, power windows and sunroof... needs rear brake caliber and alternator. Price $9.000.00 ono

1977 Mini Cooper
$20,000 listed 20 weeks ago

1977 custom mini cooper
car has a 2003 Honda 2.0L type S motor
6 speed trans
hondata standalone computer
full rally roll cage
afco coilover shocks all around
fiberglass flip front
race pac digital dash
custom blue paint with black roof
carbon fiber fender flares
a one of a kind car
way to much more
message for any more info
$$20000 ono

1986 Toyota Landcruiser · Suv · Driven 339,000 kilometers, Manual transmission

1986 Toyota Land Cruiser in line 6 diesel body and chassis are shot but driveline and motor is good 2500 obo or would also trade for something of interest located in

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

All used car prices have gone crazy and I don't get why people are paying these prices for projects or seconds cars like a Miata. I mean I get it if you need a car you don't really have a choice but gently caress the rest. I was thinking about getting a Miata but I'm gonna wait until it all comes down because there's no way this can continue forever, the bubble is gonna burst eventually and I'l be able to get a decent Miata for $3-4k again.

Need? Cryco finances to anybody or anything.
This is purely survivor syndrome being driven by people flush with cash and nowhere to stick it. What's better than holing money into a project car since a vacation in Europe is off the table?
Prices may cool some though desirable cars like the NA on the cheap are out the window. Its happening to a fair bit of the 80s-90s era of cars, not just the MIata alone. They're classics now. Same thing happened to the late 50s and 60s cars that riveted the outgoing generation in their youth. Prices may fluctuate here and there like that particular era has in years past during recessions, but lol there is no $3-4k 67' camaro, cudas, chargers, mustangs, 58' vettes, or 57' bel-airs.

In short:

KakerMix posted:

This will never happen.

This.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

This means I missed the boat on early Lexus GXs for reasonable prices, didn't I?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Krakkles posted:

This means I missed the boat on early Lexus GXs for reasonable prices, didn't I?

Yes, because everyone figured out they are actually Land Cruiser Prados. I have bad news about Prados coming from behind your newer GXs and their prices....

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

That Mini seems like an extremely cool way to die

like that’s probably 200ish hp after the ECU tune and other upgrades? In a tiny 1300lb city car?

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 23, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

Need? Cryco finances to anybody or anything.
This is purely survivor syndrome being driven by people flush with cash and nowhere to stick it. What's better than holing money into a project car since a vacation in Europe is off the table?
Prices may cool some though desirable cars like the NA on the cheap are out the window. Its happening to a fair bit of the 80s-90s era of cars, not just the MIata alone. They're classics now. Same thing happened to the late 50s and 60s cars that riveted the outgoing generation in their youth. Prices may fluctuate here and there like that particular era has in years past during recessions, but lol there is no $3-4k 67' camaro, cudas, chargers, mustangs, 58' vettes, or 57' bel-airs.

In short:

This.

Lol might as well buy a ND then. I’ve had multiple NAs and while they are great little cars I’d rather pay more and not have to deal with deferred maintenance bullshit

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Lol might as well buy a ND then. I’ve had multiple NAs and while they are great little cars I’d rather pay more and not have to deal with deferred maintenance bullshit

For me the dream is NC with hardtop and then turn it into club spec appearance wise.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Coredump posted:

For me the dream is NC with hardtop and then turn it into club spec appearance wise.

Yeah maybe I have to drive a NC because they are the least wanted Miata that's for sure.

I just can't un see the toilet lid hood :v:

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Are the 50s / 60s cars going to retain their value or are they going to go the way of pre-war cars?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PeterCat posted:

Are the 50s / 60s cars going to retain their value or are they going to go the way of pre-war cars?

What big enough market will want them once the boomers are dead? I'd say prepare for the collapse in demand which will lead to only the very best of the best remaining, which, as with all collectors things will remain expensive.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm glad I bought mine cheap, and to drive.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

PeterCat posted:

Pre-war cars were never valuable, were they? I thought it was only specific models that actually went for any real cash, the Dusenbergs, Bentleys, etc. Those have pretty consistently held their value.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ishikabibble posted:

Pre-war cars were never valuable, were they? I thought it was only specific models that actually went for any real cash, the Dusenbergs, Bentleys, etc. Those have pretty consistently held their value.

Pre-war rolls and packards and such were cheaper than a new chevy in the late 60s, apart from the one-offs. The idea of a "classic car" wasn't quite a widespread thing yet.

The first 5 years of the Pebble Beach Concourse d'Elegance were 1-2 years old at the time. in 1968, a 1964 Maserati won best in show.

American Graffiti is set in 1962, and the star car is a 32 ford, something a teenager could afford. These days that would go for $50k - $100k

On the subject of Maseratis. This guy is down from like $60k a week or two ago.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1973-maserati-indy-stalled-restoration/1562581755

Already got the doors off, so the resto is half done.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Powershift posted:

The first 5 years of the Pebble Beach Concourse d'Elegance were 1-2 years old at the time. in 1968, a 1964 Maserati won best in show.

The idea of a super serious car show for new cars is hilarious to me. Like all I gotta do is go down the street to the dealer and boom, I win the "cleanest car" award or whatever.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Powershift posted:

Pre-war rolls and packards and such were cheaper than a new chevy in the late 60s, apart from the one-offs. The idea of a "classic car" wasn't quite a widespread thing yet.

American Graffiti is set in 1962, and the star car is a 32 ford, something a teenager could afford. These days that would go for $50k - $100k

It absolutely was. Even back in the 60s Dusenbergs and other stuff like the Mercer Raceabout were hitting five figures. Jay Leno mentions in his video on the Mercer that one of those even set the highest auction price ever for a car at $45000, in the mid-60s. $45,000 is roughly $378,395 in today's money.

Between the first five years of Pebble Beach and the 1968 date you point out, none of the cars that won best in show were newer than 1940, with the oldest being a 1913 Rolls Royce :v:

And the only reason '32 Fords have gotten expensive is because so many of them were chopped up and made into hot rods and even now there still is such a cultural cachet around 'traditional hot rods' that people still want to make them. If that hot rod craze had never happened and they were just some old pre-war car, then they'd still be cheap.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Motronic posted:

What big enough market will want them once the boomers are dead? I'd say prepare for the collapse in demand which will lead to only the very best of the best remaining, which, as with all collectors things will remain expensive.

I think this is generally true; while I wouldn't expect prices to necessarily crater, I think that demand will be drastically reduced and there will be a vanishingly small group of buyers left willing to pay top dollar for them.

Alternatively, collecting mid-century American muscle could become a craze among the well-off in China and prices could go even higher :shrug:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
gently caress, I really want an old rear end luxury car from the 20s or 30s.
V16 Caddy? gently caress yeah, Straight 8 Dusey Oh hells to the muthafuckin yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ishikabibble posted:

And the only reason '32 Fords have gotten expensive is because so many of them were chopped up and made into hot rods and even now there still is such a cultural cachet around 'traditional hot rods' that people still want to make them. If that hot rod craze had never happened and they were just some old pre-war car, then they'd still be cheap.

It seems to me that prices on pre-war hit rod stuff has started to plateau a bit. It can still be (very) expensive, but most of the people who had strong emotional connections to that era are dead now, or not driving.

Also taking a brief look on the internet, tri-five Chevrolets seem to have cratered as well. Still expensive, but not the $15k for a rolling chassis and bare body that they were ten years ago.