Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
i got promoted to an engineering manager role 6 months ago, managing 4 teams with 25 people, 2nd promotion in 3 years at this company. boss is a good mentor. full remote after COVID, short commute if i feel like going in

just hitting 6 figgies total comp (on call pay, bonus, etc) for EU which aint so bad, and will get a ~20% of annual salary (cash, pretax) in Q4 from stocks (megacorp, so fairly stable in value).

on the other hand, im trying to unravel many years of lovely/nonexistent management, everything is on fire pretty much constantly, and it aint gonna get better until at least end of this year when i've hired shitloads more people and we start fixing all our fires. the rest of the company is a burnout factory too

do i
a) hold out until end of this year, 1 year of manager experience, cash out my stocks, and hope things are better by then, but potentially probably burn out
b) run for the hills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

are you also burning out and/or on fire? If not why not stick around and cash out all them figgies at end of year?

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

i am rapidly burning out as a result of the constant fires that i have to mop up, yes

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
does that mean you have 25 direct reports, or is there another layer in there? and you need to hire more and stuff is on fire all the time?

I don't know the EU comp situation so can't really answer your question but that is a Not Great situation to be in. Having a good mentor is nice.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

how common is it for a company to make the target of stock comp a dollar value instead of a number of shares? new company does this and it seems to work against the nominal reason for stock comp, tying overall company performance to part of comp, but I also kind of like that they're honestly treating it as the free bonus money it is to the company

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

does that mean you have 25 direct reports, or is there another layer in there?
there’s another layer in between (would be completely unmanageable if not, ha)

quote:

and you need to hire more and stuff is on fire all the time?
yes and yes. need to hire another ~50% so 12 people this year. fires and hiring is basically all I do these days

quote:

I don't know the EU comp situation so can't really answer your question but that is a Not Great situation to be in. Having a good mentor is nice.
interesting article on comp actually: https://blog.pragmaticengineer.com/software-engineering-salaries-in-the-netherlands-and-europe/

my company is in the middle bucket. so getting more figgies is definitely doable, only question is if the bigcos have bad work life balance too

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Munkeymon posted:

how common is it for a company to make the target of stock comp a dollar value instead of a number of shares? new company does this and it seems to work against the nominal reason for stock comp, tying overall company performance to part of comp, but I also kind of like that they're honestly treating it as the free bonus money it is to the company

i have never heard of it being done any other way. the “company performance incentive” kicks in between the award and vesting - you’re granted and $x award and want it to increase as much as possible before it vests.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Not a Children posted:

you don’t just take credit for the work, you also cite the dollar value of the project and claim to the furthest reaches of rationale that you were responsible for procurement of the work as well as execution

"Took the initiative to invent the concept of profit."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jesus WEP posted:

resume standard practice is taking 100% of the credit for a project you did like 15% of the work on, right

yep

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

was asking because my boss from my old job has moved on to be director of e*****ering at a new place and asked me to come work with him as a solution architect or staff e*****er, both of which sound more fun than team lead. also i really like and respect him so would be p stoked to work with him again

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

jesus WEP posted:

resume standard practice is taking 100% of the credit for a project you did like 15% of the work on, right
absolutely, if you're not a superhero then you're a parasite

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

just did my first ever coding test for an interview (after 12 years dev experience), managed to read the task wrong and spent far too long trying to produce the opposite thing... (think parse vs produce) whoops

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

raminasi posted:

i have never heard of it being done any other way. the “company performance incentive” kicks in between the award and vesting - you’re granted and $x award and want it to increase as much as possible before it vests.

oh maybe I misunderstood the explanation I got from HR

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

oh maybe I misunderstood the explanation I got from HR

at time-of-grant, it isn't really meaningful to say that you're granted an $x award vs. an N stocks award, because they're the same thing. your vesting schedule is then in stocks because that's what is static after the time of grant - it wouldn't make sense to have a time-bound vesting schedule that tracks dollars rather than stocks.

it sounds like maybe you're talking something else, though - like maybe a yearly grant of eg $5000 worth of stock (as opposed to a vesting schedule) which is a pretty different thing from "normal" RSU compensation (and you're right - that would remove the ability for you to help the number go up). assuming im not way off base wrt what your situation is, it sounds much more like a bonus than normal stock comp.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I'm pretty sure it's normal RSUs and the explanation wasn't using the jargon I was expecting, so it threw me off, if that makes sense

asur
Dec 28, 2012
It's very common now for the offer to state a dollar value for RSUs that converts to units of stock shortly after you start. I don't know why they didn't always do this since recent grads got to free ride on 9 -12 months of appreciation.

This may be less common, but at my company refreshes are the same as well.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

clear eyes full farts posted:

just did my first ever coding test for an interview (after 12 years dev experience), managed to read the task wrong and spent far too long trying to produce the opposite thing... (think parse vs produce) whoops

Hey pal my friend did this and failed and still managed to pull off getting into salesforce in a senior role. Don't lose hope yet.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

asur posted:

It's very common now for the offer to state a dollar value for RSUs that converts to units of stock shortly after you start. I don't know why they didn't always do this since recent grads got to free ride on 9 -12 months of appreciation.

This may be less common, but at my company refreshes are the same as well.

my company switched to doing this after first committing to a bucket of shares

it allows the company to save (potentially a lot of) money if the share price appreciates greatly between the initial specified grant share amount and what the share price is at each vest, but it also lets you and the company clearly understand what your total comp is in dollars, which is valuable when they decide on refreshes etc

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

sneakyfrog posted:

Hey pal my friend did this and failed and still managed to pull off getting into salesforce in a senior role. Don't lose hope yet.

Thank you kindly, I've found out they want to proceed to the next stage so I guess I fixed it on time hurrah!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:hmmyes:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hey how do i interview for a director position at a startup

i have no doubts about my own skills but i need to ask them stuff like how much funding they have available right? if I take this job am I probably going to be destitute in 6 months

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
vc backed startup almost surely not. and if the title is director you may actually get enough equity to matter even in like a 100 mill exit

do ask about runway ofc.

not vc backed run awaaaaaay. also if they have as lead vc one of like 20 firms/peeps i would recognize if i looked at the name run awaaaaaaay

if they say they are lookin for vc thats a tougher dealio and you would be better off as last founder than as director yadda yadda

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 22, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

QuarkJets posted:

hey how do i interview for a director position at a startup

i have no doubts about my own skills but i need to ask them stuff like how much funding they have available right? if I take this job am I probably going to be destitute in 6 months

mostly agree with above poster. what stage/round is the startup? assuming they’re >200 employees if they’re hiring directors.

i only have ~11FTE employees but here’s what I’d ask if I was joining one:
-How much runway
-what’s the exit strategy? being post series A means you’re trying to go public. imo a company hoping to get bought is a big red flag for risk unless the offer is already in the works
-is there a timeline to going public?
-what’s the turnover rate at the company? (might try to phrase this nicer)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

do i
a) hold out until end of this year, 1 year of manager experience, cash out my stocks, and hope things are better by then, but potentially probably burn out
b) run for the hills

be applying for jobs all the time and if something amazing comes along obviously run for the hills. otherwise continue putting out fires and fix the team and then use the "i fixed the team" story to run for the hills and virtually guarantee the much better job. both of these situations results in you leaving your job.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Almost done with this one company and they seem really cool. My only real red flag is they do the "Unlimited PTO" thing. I have heard some people say this works great and others say it is a scam. Not sure how to feel about it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its rollin the dice

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

syntaxrigger posted:

Almost done with this one company and they seem really cool. My only real red flag is they do the "Unlimited PTO" thing. I have heard some people say this works great and others say it is a scam. Not sure how to feel about it.

I've only ever seen it as a way for American companies to get out of paying out unused PTO

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Boiled Water posted:

I've only ever seen it as a way for American companies to get out of paying out unused PTO

bingo. my last job had unlimited pto and would yell at you if you didn’t take off at least a week every quarter. it’s not the time off they care about, it’s having to keep the pto balance on their books

at least from accounting’s point of view. it’s also up to your manager not being a power tripping dickhead who can’t help but commit their team to impossible deadlines

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

syntaxrigger posted:

imo the expected value of unlimited pto is zero. don’t let it dissuade you on its own but don’t consider it a selling point either

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Boiled Water posted:

Same actually.

raminasi posted:

imo the expected value of unlimited pto is zero. don’t let it dissuade you on its own but don’t consider it a selling point either

I feel like this is a good way of looking at it. Thanks.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
as my friend found out when quitting his design consultancy job paying out pto is in fact only mandated on a state level and some states that may surprise you have no such mandate lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Phobeste posted:

as my friend found out when quitting his design consultancy job paying out pto is in fact only mandated on a state level and some states that may surprise you have no such mandate lol

:owned:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

our parent company switched us to unlimited pto but instead of paying out what we had accrued california employees still have to use the old reporting system until we run out the balance :owned:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

our parent company switched us to unlimited pto but instead of paying out what we had accrued california employees still have to use the old reporting system until we run out the balance :owned:

lol wtf

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

also this was announced two days before being implemented so we didn't have a chance to take any extra days in response

upon getting a lot of angry feedback we were assured that this is entirely legal

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Unlimited PTO is a loving travesty, designed to make your company's balance-sheet better by removing all accrued PTO from the liabilities

It basically just means you don't get a pile of PTO money when you leave.

gently caress whoever came up with it, and gently caress whoever realized they could pretend it's good for the employees

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Sometimes yes, my current company approved three months of time off for someone and he was still employed two years later when he left on his own accord so you never know

I haven’t talked to a hiring manager who won’t tell you what the organizational norm is though so just ask

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

a buddy of mine has unlimited pto and they gave him like 2 months off for his wedding so that seemed pretty cool. I have it now too and I've never gotten a request turned down but I've never tried to take off a mega chunk of time. Seems like a mixed bag

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
unlimited pto sucks (for all the reasons mentioned here, and more) but i do appreciate not having to fill out timesheets every two weeks and being able to just duck out for appointments and whatnot without having to track time or worry about it hitting my pto balance

on the net its still a huge scam ofc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

My previous employer, a terrible Danish startup, "forgot" to pay out my remaining PTO and refused to pick up the phone. So I contacted my engineers unions who sicked a lawyer on them and hey presto money appeared in my account.

That's my PTO story thanks for reading.