Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

zoux posted:

Oh it for sure is and in fact is and has been a huge priority of rural Republicans, just the lib-owning crowd instantly seized on it because I guess only effete latte sipping libs need to surf the web and not burly grain-tossing conservative men.

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1385266173617577987

I think the missing part of this is "A billion dollars is a lot of money for one person..."

e: gator tax

https://twitter.com/GatorsDaily/status/1384930153168523268?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FizFashizzle posted:

Which Senators intern is tasked with putting those lovely charts together?

Like do they draw straws, or does one senator have a reputation for always having a kid who's good with MSPaint?

As I understand it there is a permanent Congressional graphic design department that makes all these charts for everyone

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Halloween Jack posted:

He filed a police report against Zoey Tur. I assume anyone who tries to Richard Spencer him is going to get criminally charged and sued into oblivion.

The Right doesn't believe in the rule of law. They want the law to benefit them and punish everyone they don't like, and what passes for conservative theory is about obfuscating that.

"Conservatism requires an ingroup that the law protects but does not bind, and an outgroup that the law binds but does not protect."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

syntaxrigger posted:

I think the missing part of this is "A billion dollars is a lot of money for one person..."

e: gator tax

https://twitter.com/GatorsDaily/status/1384930153168523268?s=20

The conflation of personal and sovereign wealth is central to conservative austerity politics.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1385263393074991104

Not surprising, but still historic.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I really don’t get republicans resistance to infrastructure spending. If they were smarter they would aim to treat it exactly like defense spending and tailor their proposals for maximum grift and wealth transfer from tax payers to construction conglomerates. They did it in Iraq. Why not in America?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

funkymonks posted:

I really don’t get republicans resistance to infrastructure spending. If they were smarter they would aim to treat it exactly like defense spending and tailor their proposals for maximum grift and wealth transfer from tax payers to construction conglomerates. They did it in Iraq. Why not in America?

they have to pretend to care about the deficit now that a democrat is president

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kraftwerk posted:

I know a guy who was a serial entrepreneur. Ran a shady print shop out of some industrial unit in a non-name neighborhood. He opened up businesses like exotic car rental services, some weird scheme with uber where he bought lovely used cars (before uber had standards for vehicles) and he paid you an hourly wage while the actual earnings from uber went into an account somewhere. It was always some kind of scheme or scam. Now he's making it rich and living out of a penthouse apartment because he found a way to modularize crypto mining by selling modified ocean freight cargo containers set up to take mining rigs and vent heat into atmosphere. Basically he found a way to make crypto mining scalable while using real estate efficiently.

I swear I used to work with this exact same guy. Did your guy also at one point try to get into both the cracklins/pork rinds business and start a Vietnamese crawfish restaurant?

That guy had like ten bitcoins back in 2015 and constantly checked their value, I can’t imagine how loaded he is now.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

zoux posted:

The conflation of personal and sovereign wealth is central to conservative austerity politics.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1385263393074991104

Not surprising, but still historic.

Surprised at how unified the House dems are here, would've thought at least one random blue dog would oppose.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

funkymonks posted:

The vision of contemporary conservatism is for the federal government to recede as states become neo-feudal baronies where the infrastructure is privately owned. Public infrastructure gets in the way of some CEO turning Downtown into a corporate enclave.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Is it possible for the republicans to sabotage DC statehood by delaying until the midterms or undoing it?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

they have to pretend to care about the deficit now that a democrat is president

They don't have to do anything to get Republican voters apart from being suitably racist and kissing the feet of Trump.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ryde posted:

Is it possible for the republicans to sabotage DC statehood by delaying until the midterms or undoing it?

Delaying with the filibuster maybe. Undoing it I think is impossible. You need the consent of a state to subdivide it, but I don't think it was ever conceived that a state would be nullified.

Undoing it might also fall under "no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate."

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

ryde posted:

Republicans don't need to sabotage D.C. statehood.

Democratic Senators will do it themselves.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Youth Decay posted:

They don't have to do anything to get Republican voters apart from being suitably racist and kissing the feet of Trump.

I read this as “subtly” racist and was gonna say there is nothing subtle about it anymore

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ryde posted:

The Senate resolution will be filibusterable, so unless the filibuster is modified it's dead. If it passes there is no procedure for eliminating a state without the consent of that state so it's effectively permanent.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The same people who are against taxes being used for infrastructure are the ones who bitch and moan everytime toll roads go up in price.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wait, I thought Serious Conservative Intellectuals were complaining about broadband not being real infrastructure, but the conservative plan includes it? Lmao

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Inferior Third Season posted:

Republicans don't need to sabotage D.C. statehood.

Democratic Senators will do it themselves.

Can we not; after the past few months since Biden got the (with qualifiders) trifecta there's been no evidence of this.

The main issue is can the GOP filibuster, and if they do is there a way to modify or rules lawyer around it; and if not does the political will exist to do what needs to be done or do they need to use it as a campaign issue for 2022.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

haveblue posted:

The Senate resolution will be filibusterable, so unless the filibuster is modified it's dead. If it passes there is no procedure for eliminating a state without the consent of that state so it's effectively permanent.

If the Dem senators can't change the filibuster to literally give themselves like 4% more votes....

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

If the Dem senators can't change the filibuster to literally give themselves like 4% more votes....

Manchin and Simena, not "Dems".

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Arist posted:

Wait, I thought Serious Conservative Intellectuals were complaining about broadband not being real infrastructure, but the conservative plan includes it? Lmao

Obviously they’re making compromises in the interest of bipartisanship. Look how generous they’re being!

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

If there weren't Manchin and Simena, the left wing of capital would invent another Manchin and Simena.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/ESCochrane/status/1385260526943547393

Oooh bad news for the guy who said it would be $600 billion because that's what it always is. You had the closest guess but under Price Is Right Rules you went over and will not be advancing to our Showcase Showdown.

There's 0% chance this is real. Republicans would never propose spending money on public transit systems.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lol don't you love the republicants just want to buy roads.

Because roads benefit existing capital and trains benefit workers

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ruzihm posted:

If there weren't Manchin and Simena, the left wing of capital would invent another Manchin and Simena.

This isn't true, and it's pointless nothing matters nihilism.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

zoux posted:

Oh it for sure is and in fact is and has been a huge priority of rural Republicans, just the lib-owning crowd instantly seized on it because I guess only effete latte sipping libs need to surf the web and not burly grain-tossing conservative men.

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1385266173617577987

So this is what it feels like to be low balled by an insurance company by an insulting amount on a claim.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 22, 2021

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Manchin and Simena, not "Dems".

Piggy backing on this, they're smart enough to know that DC statehood gives them, personally, less power. You can hold poo poo hostage for money if you're not longer a deciding vote.

So the real uphill battle is going to be seeing if they can convince Sinema she will lose re-election by not abolishing the filibuster to vote DC into statehood. I think Manchin will feel enough pressure and has already been vaguely setting himself up to do so, so he'll do his usually bullshit and go along with the party line anyway, but I don't really trust Sinema after her curtsy vote to gently caress over the US worker with lower wages and followup gently caress Off ring in the face of criticisms.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My opinion is: they will not end the filibuster for DC statehood. Not happy about it, but that's just the way it looks to me.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

zoux posted:

My opinion is: they will not end the filibuster for DC statehood. Not happy about it, but that's just the way it looks to me.

This is where I'm at, but it's pretty drat popular, so I'm looking forward to the blowback from this combined with blowback from the next thing (probably HR1) might make them finally do it, which means DC statehood could very well be revisited.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

i think they will end it/modify it over voting rights.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I actually don't think they'll do it at all for any reason. They used up all their courage on ARP.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/ESCochrane/status/1385260526943547393

Oooh bad news for the guy who said it would be $600 billion because that's what it always is. You had the closest guess but under Price Is Right Rules you went over and will not be advancing to our Showcase Showdown.

Lol who was the dork that was saying Republicans might negotiate in good faith yesterday?

I am now certain in my belief that what everyone assumed was cutthroat Republican political acumen was just coasting on democratic incompetence. They seem completely unprepared for democrats doing anything at all.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 22, 2021

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Saxophone posted:

Piggy backing on this, they're smart enough to know that DC statehood gives them, personally, less power. You can hold poo poo hostage for money if you're not longer a deciding vote.

So the real uphill battle is going to be seeing if they can convince Sinema she will lose re-election by not abolishing the filibuster to vote DC into statehood. I think Manchin will feel enough pressure and has already been vaguely setting himself up to do so, so he'll do his usually bullshit and go along with the party line anyway, but I don't really trust Sinema after her curtsy vote to gently caress over the US worker with lower wages and followup gently caress Off ring in the face of criticisms.

I think there's wiggle room because seating DC's senators wouldn't happen right away, would it even be possible before the 2022 election? They're the deciding vote now but if dems lose a hypothetical seat they'd still be the tiebreakers.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Blorange posted:

I think there's wiggle room because seating DC's senators wouldn't happen right away, would it even be possible before the 2022 election? They're the deciding vote now but if dems lose a hypothetical seat they'd still be the tiebreakers.

DC has shadow senators for expressly this purpose, they are elected like senators and can fill the seats immediately. There's also an unofficial (not sanctioned by Congress) shadow rep though I think the official plan is for Delegate Norton to become Representative Norton.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

zoux posted:

I thought there was an open question on whether granting statehood is even subject to the filibuster. Is it filibusterable?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Saxophone posted:

That's a really good point and it might be more than those two assholes. Why would any of those people want the percentage of their power to be lowered?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

ryde posted:

I was looking around for a frame of reference, such as typical yearly spending on roads or broadband infrastructure, and came up short. The numbers seem low to me but I have no way to evaluate them -- they could just seem that way because of anchoring against multi-trillion infrastructure plans put out by Democrats.

Edit: I guess rail is a good example that I managed to find. Seattle's light rail extensions are costing $12.1 billion, apparently, which is 60% of the allocated amount for one city. So either the number is ridiculously low, its only for repair and not for building new infrastructure, or they only expect to subsidize a tiny portion of the budget for that line item.

It's for building new. It's going from the Seatac airport to Seattle all the way up to the deep north suburbs. We'll probably all be dead before it's completed but progress is being made! But it's already been quite a lot of building.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Youth Decay posted:

DC has shadow senators for expressly this purpose, they are elected like senators and can fill the seats immediately. There's also an unofficial (not sanctioned by Congress) shadow rep though I think the official plan is for Delegate Norton to become Representative Norton.

Oh that looks interesting, let’s see if there’s a Wikipedia page on this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Donald_Brown

quote:

Brown is known colloquially as "white Mike" to distinguish him from Michael A. Brown, another Washington D.C. politician who shares the same name.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Oh that looks interesting, let’s see if there’s a Wikipedia page on this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Donald_Brown

Well this is the year 2021 after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdilb_yErAk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

https://twitter.com/allyversprille/status/1385280291082838020?s=20

Pretty good. The rich got massively richer in the past year and maybe even more so in 2021 with the current housing bubble. I'm sure they won't mind splitting a piece of their big fat pie.