Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you want to go all-in for your boss rush team, you just need to run Asellus's story multiple time to absorb a bunch of Griffons. :v:

And a few Blue runs so every mystic he can recruit can get a Kylin, what could go wrong??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Is there a secret to Lute’s boss? I’ve got a moderately beefy team but 35k hps x 5 forms is rough. I’m running out of wp by form 3

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Can you give some more details about your set up? How much WP/JP do your party members have? Are you using top end equipment (e.g., Null Swords, Lethal Dragoons, etc.)?

Edit: My set up for the boss was Lute (swords/rune + shadow magic), Captain Hamilton (swords + rune magic), Rouge (light magic), T260 (Null sword + plural slash), Riki (magic heal as Dullahan and ground hit). Lute and Hamilton would use Soul Rune for stat increases whenever it was available and then Spray of Life for Hamilton, and Rosario Impale + Shadow Servant on Lute because he refused to learn Spray of Life. Rouge spammed Gale Blast or whatever they renamed Megawind Blast to, and Riki mostly did some healing every now and then. Also used Mind Heal on any of the humans when they needed healing if Riki was already going to be healing someone else. It ended fairly quickly, but my team was a bit overpowered.

Kagon fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 22, 2021

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

I legit can't tell what track this is supposed to be other than a video game version of St. Anger, is it the regular combat music?

I mean, given that you were as excited as you seemed to be about the SaGa 3 remake thing I thought you would've been familiar with the original, and the Talon Theme after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zICpWwRU6I

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Beat Asellus's story.
That's it? Just evil? No other path? That is such a letdown.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ChrisBTY posted:

Beat Asellus's story.
That's it? Just evil? No other path? That is such a letdown.

There's three endings depending on how often you use Mystic Abilities.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh god DAMMIT!
To go on to a new character or START THE WHOLE drat STORY OVER AGAIN! Decisions decisions...
Can I NG+ with a character I've already done?

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

MonsieurChoc posted:

Specifically, it's (unless things changed for the remaster):

Good ending: don't use mystic abilities and rescue Gina
Medium ending: use mystic abilities and rescue Gina
Bad ending: use mystic abilities and don't rescue Gina

I don't remember if "don't use mystic abilities" means don't ever use them at all, shove them in the trash part of the arts screen and ignore them or don't have them equipped when you beat the game or don't have them equipped when you fight Orlouge.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Asellus's story has three potential endings, and they're solely determined by two factors - if you absorb something in all three Mystic slots, and if you save Gina. If you don't develop your powers and save Gina, you get Human. If you develop your powers and don't save Gina, you get Mystic. The other two combinations get you Half-Mystic.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

CaptainRat posted:

Specifically, it's (unless things changed for the remaster):

Good ending: don't use mystic abilities and rescue Gina
Medium ending: use mystic abilities and rescue Gina
Bad ending: use mystic abilities and don't rescue Gina

I don't remember if "don't use mystic abilities" means don't ever use them at all, shove them in the trash part of the arts screen and ignore them or don't have them equipped when you beat the game or don't have them equipped when you fight Orlouge.

I thought it wasn't so much good/bad as it was human/mystic/mixed. It's been a while though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

I thought it wasn't so much good/bad as it was human/mystic/mixed. It's been a while though.

The endings are technically "Human," "Half-Mystic," and "Mystic." IMO the "good ending" is the Half-Mystic one. The full Mystic one is the "evil" ending where Asellus becomes the new Charm Lord.

ChrisBTY posted:

Oh god DAMMIT!
To go on to a new character or START THE WHOLE drat STORY OVER AGAIN! Decisions decisions...
Can I NG+ with a character I've already done?

Yes, you can. You can NG+ all over the place.

If you have a save from just before endgame on Asellus, you can still get a nicer ending. The Half-Mystic ending is a good one and has the same requirements as the evil ending you got, but you have to go rescue Gina before you fight Orlouge. The Half-Mystic ending's requirements are "use mystic abilities and recuse Gina"--it's basically embracing Asellus's mystic side without losing her compassion. The only one you'd have to play from the beginning of her scenario to get is the Human ending because that requires never using mystic abilities at all.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

So I remember looking this up earlier and someone dug through the code to figure it out. It's kind of a buggy mess.

Human:

Absorb nothing in Asellus' MysticSword.
Absorb nothing in Asellus' MysticBoots.
Complete the Gina rescue event.

Mystic:

Absorb something in Asellus' MysticBoots.
Do not complete the Gina rescue event.

Half-Mystic
Satisfy neither of the human or mystic requirements.

It was supposed to be an all or nothing thing for the mystic abilities, but they figured up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arzaac posted:

So I remember looking this up earlier and someone dug through the code to figure it out. It's kind of a buggy mess.

Human:

Absorb nothing in Asellus' MysticSword.
Absorb nothing in Asellus' MysticBoots.
Complete the Gina rescue event.

Mystic:

Absorb something in Asellus' MysticBoots.
Do not complete the Gina rescue event.

Half-Mystic
Satisfy neither of the human or mystic requirements.

It was supposed to be an all or nothing thing for the mystic abilities, but they figured up.

That makes sense. It also makes sense why the easiest way to get the Half-Mystic ending is to just go ahead and use your mystic abilities, but also rescue Gina. That satisfies the requirements for neither of the other two endings.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So how do you Rescue Gina? I thought you were supposed to beat The Giant and open the thing behind him. But the first time I fought him I didn't know there was a thing behind him. The second time I fought him I opened the thing but there was no Gina. Do I have to do it before the boss gauntlet?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

So how do you Rescue Gina? I thought you were supposed to beat The Giant and open the thing behind him. But the first time I fought him I didn't know there was a thing behind him. The second time I fought him I opened the thing but there was no Gina. Do I have to do it before the boss gauntlet?

I didn't remember so I looked it up. Fighting the giant opens the window behind him, which opens a door on the previous screen. Go back to the previous screen and a new path should be open.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is there a break-down for all the areas? Which places are important, which places have nothing going on, which places are one-time only? It's easy to overlook Nelson since it's not available from Koorong, and only has two vendors.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is there a break-down for all the areas? Which places are important, which places have nothing going on, which places are one-time only? It's easy to overlook Nelson since it's not available from Koorong, and only has two vendors.

This Reddit post has a decent breakdown of important side quest areas: https://www.reddit.com/r/SaGa/comments/mu45eu/saga_frontier_side_quests_difficulty_important/

Aside from that and places that character stories will take you to, here's a breakdown of the more "town"-type areas:
  • Koorong is the main hub for travel and has good vendors all over the place. It's also part of a bunch of side quests.
  • Manhattan has a great accessory vendor, but otherwise you'll only really come here for story.
  • Shrike has Nakajima Robotics (sell extra swords, recruit Engineer Car if you already have another mech) and multiple side quests/side dungeons, including one of the runes for the Rune Quest and the Bio Research Lab, which is the go-to place for powering up your team at endgame and has an optional boss.
  • Scrap has the Junk Shop and lots of people to recruit at the pub.
  • Devin has the Rune and Arcane magic shops and it's where you start the quests for those.
  • Luminous has Light and Shadow magic and is also where you get the gifts for each.
  • Kyo has Mind magic.
  • Magic Kingdom has Realm magic, but Rouge will leave the party if you try to go there (and Blue can't go there for the same reason).
  • Shingrow has the Ruins, an optional dungeon with some treasure and lots of mechs to fight.
  • Owmi has the Lord's Manor and is how you get to Nelson.
  • Nelson is where you make infinite money.
  • Mosperiburg is basically just how you get to Facinaturu if you want to start the Time Quest (unless you're on Riki's scenario).
This is just off the top of my head so I may have missed something. But that's a list of places you might go to without a quest or your main story telling you to go there. Other places, like IRPO or Baccarat, you're going to be told to go to if you need to.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 22, 2021

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
[quote="Harrow" post="514191346"]
The endings are technically "Human," "Half-Mystic," and "Mystic." IMO the "good ending" is the Half-Mystic one. The full Mystic one is the "evil" ending where Asellus becomes the new Charm Lord.

Emphasized for truth. If memory serves me the "Human" ending involves Asellus turning back into a human but also straight? And Gina is left to pine over her as a "friend"? I dunno about anyone else, but I'd take issue with calling that the "good" ending. Half-Mystic Asellus and Gina actually get together, even though Gina grows old and Asellus doesn't they still get to spend her entire life together. Seems happy to me.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

And I gotta admit, I do love that the "bad" ending is Asellus goes on to conquer the world with her lesbian harem.

It's way better than the human ending, imo.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Harrow posted:

And a few Blue runs so every mystic he can recruit can get a Kylin, what could go wrong??

This isn't as bad as you might think! Just NG+ into a Blue game, run Luminous real fast (I don't think you can skip those dungeons with a super Blue carried over), skip the Rune quest by collecting one and teleporting out of Tanzer (talk to the fortuneteller at the left podium in the square who usually gives you hints for the rune quest and he should cancel it), then run the space magic maze which you surely have committed to memory by now, right? Only takes, like, 10-15 minutes per attempt, for like 4-5 mystics! Definitely not crazy at all!

I've also been thinking ahead for superboss teams and want to do it "legit" but figured I'd put together what Time Lord needs to cheese if things go wrong. I'm not sure if they made the hardest versions of the final bosses immune to Time Leap, so you could potentially save yourself a lot of trouble by just giving him 99 mobility and spamming that? I don't think it would work for some scripted stuff like Carnage, and you'd still need a plan for the Master Ring adds.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

I've also been thinking ahead for superboss teams and want to do it "legit" but figured I'd put together what Time Lord needs to cheese if things go wrong. I'm not sure if they made the hardest versions of the final bosses immune to Time Leap, so you could potentially save yourself a lot of trouble by just giving him 99 mobility and spamming that? I don't think it would work for some scripted stuff like Carnage, and you'd still need a plan for the Master Ring adds.

I'm not sure about Time Leap, but they definitely aren't immune to Stasis Rune, so you can Overdrive Stasis cheese the hell out of them.

Probably the best setup you could give Time Lord is Griffin/Suzaku/Suzaku absorbs (or triple Suzaku if you don't want to give him the Griffin from Asellus's playthrough), and a spell loadout of Overdrive, Time Leap (if it works), Stasis Rune, and something else, either Victory Rune so he can buff everyone of maybe Mirrorshade so he can help people keep their Shadow Servants around longer. Overdrive Stasis on his first turn and then spam Gryphon Strike for damage (if he has the Griffin in his Faeblade).

If Time Leap works it would be a more "legit" way of doing it since it wouldn't be using a glitch, but also slower. From watching a video of someone doing the full boss rush with Overdrive Stasis, it still isn't easy.

What I'm wondering is how far you can take Time Twister with Overdrive Stasis. Could Time Lord use Time Twister to functionally donate seven turns to a DSC user? If not (like if Time Twister only works on a character once per round), then he could at least let the four other characters go one more time each every round.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I mean, given that you were as excited as you seemed to be about the SaGa 3 remake thing I thought you would've been familiar with the original, and the Talon Theme after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zICpWwRU6I

I like SaGa 3 but II don't know the music thoroughly. If I heard the original Talon theme I might've recognized it but it's been awhile since I played 3. I've always been in the 2 > 1 > 3 camp on the GB games, but 3 is real fun in its own right.

Harrow posted:

[*]Shrike has Nakajima Robotics (sell extra swords, recruit Engineer Car if you already have another mech) and multiple side quests/side dungeons, including one of the runes for the Rune Quest and the Bio Research Lab, which is the go-to place for powering up your team at endgame and has a superboss.

It really doesn't. The earth dragon is easier than most characters' final bosses.

Unless you mean Mec God in Mu's Tomb which I'm pretty sure isn't too hard either.

Shingrow is also used in several character quests and is important for everyone else because the NW ruins have a hyperscale and dueling pistol, which sell for a lot in Scrap and allow you to start Takonomics almost immediately on a new character.

e:

Ace Transmuter posted:

Half-Mystic Asellus and Gina actually get together, even though Gina grows old and Asellus doesn't they still get to spend her entire life together. Seems happy to me.

No they don't. Asellus is all about White Rose, and vice-versa.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 22, 2021

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ace Transmuter posted:

Emphasized for truth. If memory serves me the "Human" ending involves Asellus turning back into a human but also straight? And Gina is left to pine over her as a "friend"? I dunno about anyone else, but I'd take issue with calling that the "good" ending. Half-Mystic Asellus and Gina actually get together, even though Gina grows old and Asellus doesn't they still get to spend her entire life together. Seems happy to me.
Eh, Half-Mystic Asellus seems to be more of a "visits her every year" deal, and Gina has grandchildren so it would on the surface appear that she married someone else at some point, though her daughter does call Asellus "the love of her life."
Human ending doesn't seem to imply Gina DIDN'T have kids like in the Half-Mystic ending, or that she wasn't in touch with Asellus while alive, just that they didn't like, marry each other. Mystic Asellus is the only ending Gina actually gets to spend her whole life with Asellus, because, well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

It really doesn't. The earth dragon is easier than most characters' final bosses.

Nah I meant the earth dragon. He gives me a tough time just because he blocks so often :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Harrow posted:

Nah I meant the earth dragon. He gives me a tough time just because he blocks so often :v:

Lifesprinkler is unblockable. :black101:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Lifesprinkler is unblockable. :black101:

:sickos:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Bounding Shot also combos with basically anything (and combos are unblockable) and also has a chance of completely ignoring the target's defense. :getin:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is there a name for the aesthetic seen in Saga Frontier, FF7, and Arc the Lad 2 where it's Fantasy meets gritty Sci-Fi, but also 90's as gently caress? Where the heroes can commit straight up terrorism because the only poo poo that happens on September 11th is Ludacris's birthday?

I think it’s Technopunk but I could be wrong. Like Cyberpunk but more analog then digital.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I overestimate the earth dragon's difficulty because last time I tried to fight it was with a team that relied heavily on DSC and, well, you know how that goes. With any of the other teams I've finished scenarios with I could probably explode that dragon pretty easily, now that I think about it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm gonna make a separate save before the ending for Asellus and just do all three on the same playthrough.

Then after that I'll continue the NG+ chain into the other 4 characters.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I find that Time Lord is really good at making sure the Earth Dragon doesn't act ever.
Alright I got the Half Mystic ending. Love, immortality, friendship. It has it all. Also i think you're locked into an ending once you start the end boss rush (at least between mystic and half mystic). The dialogue changes depending on whether you saved Gina or not. And you don't have to fight the 3rd boss at all if you didn't.
So next playthrough. Blue or T-260?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

So next playthrough. Blue or T-260?

T260 will probably be the most different from Asellus, if you're looking for a change of pace, because Asellus can't recruit any mechs while T260 makes it easy to assemble a badass mech squad.

Blue's scenario is a personal favorite of mine though I have to acknowledge that a good portion of that is because it lets you become unimaginably overpowered and that's a lot of fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Look at this box art

https://twitter.com/playasia/status/1385082004165644294?s=20

edit: holy poo poo I just noticed Cotton off to the side :3:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys so what’s the consensus regarding saga frontier remastered? I’m very curious to try the game but I’m concerned that it might be too old fashioned and out of date story and gameplay wise to hold my interest, do you still recommend this game for someone who had no exposure to t original release back then?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys so what’s the consensus regarding saga frontier remastered? I’m very curious to try the game but I’m concerned that it might be too old fashioned and out of date story and gameplay wise to hold my interest, do you still recommend this game for someone who had no exposure to t original release back then?

It's hard to really situate SaGa Frontier in any particular period of old school vs. modern, if only because it's just so weird. It was weird in 1997 and it's still weird today. In some ways it was ahead of its time, in others it's very much of its time, and in other ways it's just... not really like much else out there.

It's very story-light for the most part. Some characters' scenarios have more plot than others but they're all pretty light on dialogue and have short, breezy cutscenes. It's very open-ended and doesn't hold your hand at all. It has very obscure mechanics and no shortage of jank, but again, its mechanics were weird (and even kinda janky) even by 1997 standards. The things about it that might make you bounce off aren't even things that are, like, out-of-date or anything. It's just a really open-ended, story-light JRPG with offbeat mechanics that aren't for everyone.

Personally I love the hell out of it. I was a little afraid that playing the remaster would make me realize it wasn't very good to begin with but nope, it turns out I'm having a blast.

I'd be curious to hear from people who didn't play the original version like I did.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 22, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

I had zero exposure and I think it's fun.

Though be warned I like a lot of old games, SaGa Frontier just wasn't released over here in my little section of the world. If it had been released in Germany, I totally would have bought it!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It is kind of a goofy janky mess but if you like other SaGa games you'll probably like this one.

Also by far the best thing it has going for it is the setting. It's just so unabashedly weird that honestly it's a lot of fun just exploring the world and seeing what's out there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Koorong versus Midgar.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I dunno if this box art is based on any existing art that was already out there or if it's new but I love it

Cotton over there on the side sipping a drink while Silence and Ren try very hard to look cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Harrow posted:

I dunno if this box art is based on any existing art that was already out there or if it's new but I love it

The Fuse character page on SaGa Fandom wiki says the full version of that was uploaded there in 2015 but doesn't mention a source: