Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Hey, gang!

I've been meaning to ask this question for thirty-six years but I always forget to.

When I breathe, like I take a full breath, my lungs fill up to, say, 100%. But... every like... fifth breath, I can fill it to suddenly 120%. But only once every... thirty seconds or something. It's like my lungs occasionally allow more air in, and I can definitely feel when it will work and when it won't.

1) Does this... is this familiar to anyone else? Surely others experience this.

2) wtf is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Trapick posted:

Blood has two big components - red blood cells and plasma (and other stuff, but that's most of it). The types A and B refer to particular antigens (proteins) that could be attacked by antibodies. If you're type A, your red blood cells have type A antigens on them, and if any B antigens show up your antibodies would freak out (because they think they're like, an allergen or pathogen or whatever). Vice versa for B. O doesn't have any antigens on the red blood cells, and has antibodies against both A and B. AB has both types of antigens but no antibodies.

So, O is the universal red blood cell donor - stick some in anybody and their body will just be like "ok cool, come on in", because there are no antigens. Type AB is the universal plasma donor, because it doesn't have any antibodies, so if you get AB plasma, it won't suddenly freak out and try to fuckup your red blood cells because of what antigens they have.

Edit: I think AB is also good for platelet transfusion, for similar reasons.

I think there are also less important sub-classes, which can became important for some specific patients. I was once asked to come to the blood donation RIGHT NOW, as my blood was some specific subtype needed for in-womb blood transfusion of some kind. They explained that the normal AB+Rh model is really a simple abstraction useful for 99.9% of time. This there might also be cases you need exact matches, and not just O-.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also if you use O- blood for everything there won't be any left for the O- patients who can't have any other type.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carillon posted:

If O- is the universal donor, why is it so important for AB+ to donate more? I came across something that said because AB is so rare they encourage people with that blood type to donate as much as they can, but I'm not exactly clear on why it's needed given my VERY basic understanding of these things.

O negative is the fallback option. It’s better to give a patient their own type if it is known and available.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah, the universal donor types are for emergency medicine, basically - you get hit by a bus and need blood now. For planned surgeries they'll know your blood type and can give you specifically A or whatever.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Silicon wafers for microchips are circular, but the microchip layouts seem to be rectangular, when they lay the microchips out on the wafer they go all the way to the edge and seem to get cut off, why do they make the chips that get cut in half, why don't they make rectangular wafers?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Crankit posted:

Silicon wafers for microchips are circular, but the microchip layouts seem to be rectangular, when they lay the microchips out on the wafer they go all the way to the edge and seem to get cut off, why do they make the chips that get cut in half, why don't they make rectangular wafers?

When they cut the wafers, they do it from a big ol' crystal, which grows as a cylinder.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Crankit posted:

The wafer is circular because of the process used to grow single crystal Si - you dip a piece of sand or something into a pool of ultra pure molten silicon, then you pull it out slowly and the silicon crystallizes as you pull, creating a cylinder

then you slice that up to make wafers

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Don't show those to the goatman.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Is there a single word or short phrase for the feeling of superiority that you are in on what's really going on while many others are fooled by what has been presented to them?

dirby posted:

Depending on context, you are "in the know" or you "get to see behind the curtain", maybe?

Those'll work, thank you very much.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 22, 2021

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Depending on context, you are "in the know" or you "get to see behind the curtain", maybe?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

This popped up in a politics thread about DC statehood, but may get a better response here. Back in the day like the late 1810s when a state was being added every year or two, how did people deal with US flags? Did everyone replace their flags every other year, or just shrug their shoulders and say "good enough" if there's a missing star or two?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This popped up in a politics thread about DC statehood, but may get a better response here. Back in the day like the late 1810s when a state was being added every year or two, how did people deal with US flags? Did everyone replace their flags every other year, or just shrug their shoulders and say "good enough" if there's a missing star or two?

This was a time where every household had someone who could sew, so my guess is these types of things could be easily modified.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Was "every house has a flag" as prevalent back then? It may have just not affected people that werent working at a goverment building/military base

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Here's what all the different flags looked like if you're curious:

https://www.ushistory.org/betSy/flagfact.html

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

alnilam posted:

The wafer is circular because of the process used to grow single crystal Si - you dip a piece of sand or something into a pool of ultra pure molten silicon, then you pull it out slowly and the silicon crystallizes as you pull, creating a cylinder

then you slice that up to make wafers

Huh. So it's like candle making, only with molten silicon instead of molten wax! That's pretty cool

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I've been dyeing my own hair at home (to mixed success) for the past decade or so and I'm hardly a professional but hopefully that answer was helpful
Extremely. Thank you.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Whats the deal with Soap?

Like, chemically, what's going on there? How does it make things clean? It's not just physically abrading the 'dirt' away, it's doing some like, ionic bond thing, right? So, what is soap good for? It kills Coronavirus, does it kill virii in general? Bacteria?

And then, what's bleach? Why would you need both? Why do we use bleach in toilets and not soap? What is bleach doing chemically, compared to soap? What is disinfectant spray, and why is there that as well?

I've Googled this somewhat, but not found like a good ELI5 answer, or anything really explaining why we have different things.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

!Klams posted:

Like, chemically, what's going on there? How does it make things clean? It's not just physically abrading the 'dirt' away, it's doing some like, ionic bond thing, right? So, what is soap good for? It kills Coronavirus, does it kill virii in general? Bacteria?

And then, what's bleach? Why would you need both? Why do we use bleach in toilets and not soap? What is bleach doing chemically, compared to soap? What is disinfectant spray, and why is there that as well?

I've Googled this somewhat, but not found like a good ELI5 answer, or anything really explaining why we have different things.

Plain old soap doesn't kill anything: one end of a soap molecule sticks to fatty things (like grease or virus capsules), and the other end likes to stick to water, washing the other thing away with it.

edit: bleach and disinfectants chemically attack the stuff you're cleaning, actually breaking them up and thus, in the case of bacteria and viruses, killing them

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 23, 2021

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

!Klams posted:

Much of that "dirt" that you need to use soap for is at least in part made up of fats or oils. These are called "hydrophobic", which means they do not mix with, bond with, or dissolve in water. In the kitchen you can often see how oil in water tends to just do its own thing without dissolving. Or if you've ever ended up with greasy hands and tried to wash them without soap, you'll notice how the water seems to just wash over the grease without doing anything about it. The fats repel the water, letting it slide past without interacting. Many substances in nature can be categorized as either liphophile (bonds with fats) or hydrophile (bonds with water), and they are usually phobic to the opposite.

Enter soap. Soap is what's called an amphiphile, which means it can bond with both fats and water. So if you wash your greasy hands with soap, that soap will first bond with the grease on your hands. That soap/grease bond can then also bond with the water, which allows it to be washed away. It's basically sort of a bridge between the two substances, and allows them to bond when they otherwise wouldn't.

Now, as for the question about coronavirus, that's connected with it. Soap by itself doesn't really do much of anything to viruses or bacteria (unless it's been specifically mixed with another antibacterial substance). However, when you've got a virus load on your hands, it'll be within the thin layer of oil on top of your skin. Water by itself won't get that, but soap (and a good deal of scrubbing) will wash those oils away. So soap doesn't actually kill the virus, it just helps you flush it down the drain.

Bleach and hand sanitizers are yet another deal. These outright damage or destroy the bacteria and viruses they come into contact with. The specific how of that tends to vary somewhat, but in general bacteria tends to consist of certain proteins, and the bleach chemically reacts with those in a way that pretty much completely fucks them up and stops them from functioning. This is also why you can just use hand sanitizer in place without having to wash it off after. You just apply it, it chemically destroys any viruses or bacteria on your skin, and then just evaporates away.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 23, 2021

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I halfway typed up an effortpost but am beaten. But this is a little misleading

dupersaurus posted:

Plain old soap doesn't kill anything

A ton of germs hide under some sort of oil or grime, otherwise they would dry out and die. A lot of other ones have their own lipid shell, which is also destroyed by soap. Plain old soap really does like 99.9% of the job when it comes to keeping germs out of your body and is fine for everyday people.

The reason they use sanitization in medical contexts is because 99.9% isn't good enough in that context, both because of the much higher incidence of germs in that environment (taking care of sick people), and because some of those tools are entering your body. A couple germs getting from your hand to your mouth or nose is less of a big deal, your body can often handle that, it's used to it. But depositing a couple germs directly into your body's interior is a different story. That's why a surgeon washes their hands and arms for like 5 minutes with super antiseptic soap, and THEN puts gloves on.

e: this is also why hand sanitizer, while very useful, can't be used as an outright replacement for soap. If your hands might have touched some germs then yes it will do an excellent job of killing them. If your hands are truly dirty, it will not be very effective. Again looking to the medical world for some semblance of best practices, what do they do? Wash their hands for real when they come into the clinic because their hands are dirty from the outside world; sanitize every time they enter or leave a room because all they've done since coming inside the clinic is touch people's germs, not really touching any dirt or grime.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 23, 2021

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

How can Chauvin be guilty of murder AND manslaughter at the same time? Are the charges applied to different actions that he did to Floyd George?

Edit: I always thought that manslaughter vs murder was a difference in intent, but I'm neither a lawyer nor American.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Drimble Wedge posted:

How can Chauvin be guilty of murder AND manslaughter at the same time? Are the charges applied to different actions that he did to Floyd George?

Edit: I always thought that manslaughter vs murder was a difference in intent, but I'm neither a lawyer nor American.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_murder_rule

Short version is that if you're committing another felony and someone dies, you can get charged with murder in a lot of states. This is often abused (like a getaway driver getting life in prison because a bank robbery went awry), but makes sense in certain circumstances (especially if the death is a direct result of the felony).

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

A lot of states also have the actions of the cops transfer to people being charged regardlrss of wether their actions were warranted or not. Situation is hosed

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Drimble Wedge posted:

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1385233361602555906

Edit: Then there's the follow-up of why did they charge him with three flavors of unlawful killing, and the answer is tactics. If they had just charged him with second degree and the jury decided not all of the checkboxes for second degree murder were checked, then oh well. But with charging all three, it gives the jury the option of convicting on a lesser charge if they had decided the higher charges weren't met.

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 23, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

!Klams posted:

So, what is soap good for? It kills Coronavirus, does it kill virii in general? Bacteria?

Soap can destroy coronaviruses, but viruses aren’t alive so technically it’s not killing them. Coronaviruses are destroyed because they are enveloped viruses and have fatty shells that are ripped apart by the chemical action of the soap, same as it attacks grease. Soap does not destroy all germs, but it does destroy coronavirus if given sufficient opportunity.

Bleach destroys many more germs than soap. It’s an oxidiser. It essentially burns things in slow motion.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Platystemon posted:

Soap can destroy coronaviruses, but viruses aren’t alive so technically it’s not killing them. Coronaviruses are destroyed because they are enveloped viruses and have fatty shells that are ripped apart by the chemical action of the soap, same as it attacks grease. Soap does not destroy all germs, but it does destroy coronavirus if given sufficient opportunity.

Bleach destroys many more germs than soap. It’s an oxidiser. It essentially burns things in slow motion.

If only soap could free me from my fatty shell :(

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Can anyone tell me what my avatar is from?

Got it from a Halloween avatar giveaway thread so I have no idea.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Drimble Wedge posted:

This article explains the specifics of this case, but the simple answer is that American murder/manslaughter laws are weird.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I need to drain the oil out of my vacuum pump. Can I dump it into the same used oil container I use for my lawn equipment? I usually take that to autozone to dispose of

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I need to drain the oil out of my vacuum pump. Can I dump it into the same used oil container I use for my lawn equipment? I usually take that to autozone to dispose of

Yep, that's all the same stuff unless you have something very special. My AC vac pump just uses (whatever grade I can't remember) of dino oil.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I found the full version pretty quickly by searching Google for "pixel art skeleton blood", but I couldn't find the original source.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Whizzing Wizard posted:

This Tumblr thinks it's Gashadokuro.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Did... you read the wiki article you linked? The article says that's what it is, not what media that image is from.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Hyperlynx posted:

The article says that's what it is, not what media that image is from.
I don't think Resident Idiot was claiming to have a source media in that post, just adding another piece of info that might help someone find the source.

However, whether or not Resident Idiot was aware of this, we now have the source! This post on that tumblr shows an earlier version and explains it was being worked on for a boss for a shmup video game "WITCH". (Going to the witch tag reveals it's a game to go along with a pixel art webcomic Constellation.)

Both the game and the original webcomic seem to have died shortly afterwards, so the artist is "nightmare bruce"/"Ribbon Black"/"Just Awful" (and/or possibly their brother(s)) and was basically a concept for a boss for an indie shmup that didn't make it very far.

dirby fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 24, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm a standard-issue goon with bad, very head-forward posture. Aside from 'quit phone posting' and 'remind yourself to stand/sit up straight all the time' are there any fix your posture lifehacks physical therapists hate I should know about?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Don't skip neck day, essentially. You can make those muscles stronger and they'll withstand more abuse.

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010

dirby posted:

I don't think Resident Idiot was claiming to have a source media in that post, just adding another piece of info that might help someone find the source.

However, whether or not Resident Idiot was aware of this, we now have the source! This post on that tumblr shows an earlier version and explains it was being worked on for a boss for a shmup video game "WITCH". (Going to the witch tag reveals it's a game to go along with a pixel art webcomic Constellation.)

Both the game and the original webcomic seem to have died shortly afterwards, so the artist is "nightmare bruce"/"Ribbon Black"/"Just Awful" (and/or possibly their brother(s)) and was basically a concept for a boss for an indie shmup that didn't make it very far.

THANK YOU! I've been wondering this as well.

:3:

FreshPrince
May 14, 2005
A while back, we use to have megathreads about making websites and how to make money using adrevenue etc

What happen to these megathreads? I've spent a good hour searching and I came up with nothing including the archives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshPrince
May 14, 2005
How do I find my old posts?

I clicked on my profile
https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=78786

Did the old stuff get deleted?

(I have Archives btw)