Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How likely is this patch to break any mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Extremely unlikely given how mods in this game tend to work.

I just reinstalled all mine after the patch and everything's fine.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mans posted:

I'm sure right now the g3 mod is being furiously updated to add a revert to some of the fixes.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I can sort of understand the rods of rez but greater restoration being party wide was a deliberate buff to the spell in ToB.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

pentyne posted:

I'm sure right now the g3 mod is being furiously updated to add a revert to some of the fixes.

There better be. I ain't updating until I see that (I have the games through GOG).

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Suspicious posted:

I can sort of understand the rods of rez but greater restoration being party wide was a deliberate buff to the spell in ToB.

yeah that hurt when they changed it. I started having my cleric cast mass cure and mass raise dead instead, which aren't as good as greater restoration was. Now it sounds like mass raise dead is nerfed as well. It just shifts the balance even more to arcane casters since they can avoid taking damage entirely with spells.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I don't fully understand why these changes were made either but apparently the beamdog forums folks that tested this patch all loved the idea

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Mans posted:

Depends on how many you got and what they do - but unless they're tiny or small in number, just assume it will gently caress everything up.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Psycho Landlord posted:

I don't fully understand why these changes were made either but apparently the beamdog forums folks that tested this patch all loved the idea

Grogs.
Grogs never change.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It boggles the mind why a nearly 20 year old single player game needs balance patches

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Mans posted:

It boggles the mind why a nearly 20 year old single player game needs balance patches

Same reason fan patches exist I reckon. Some people like that stuff.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vargatron posted:

Same reason fan patches exist I reckon. Some people like that stuff.

Shouldn't they put their energy towards making a new IE style game? Pillars was decent enough but it's not Forgotten Realms D&D.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah I guess they don't have the internal resources to make a completely new IE game. I know they did Siege of Dragonspear but I have to wonder how profitable that is vs. just supporting the existing content.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Dang, turns out this EE patch isn't coming to iOS any time soon. I was hoping it would come with a fix to make each game display properly on the latest iPad Air's oddball aspect ratio.

The nice thing is each game takes a turn going on sale for $5 for one week, so I'm slowly accumulating them while I wait.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also they can’t exactly make a new game in the Baldur’s Gate series, since the Bhaspawn saga is kind of wrapped up and Larian are already making Baldur’s Gate 3.

I mean, unless they made a direct sequel following ToB’s conclusion. Something like a game called Baldur’s Gate: Divinity...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also they can’t exactly make a new game in the Baldur’s Gate series, since the Bhaspawn saga is kind of wrapped up and Larian are already making Baldur’s Gate 3.

I mean, unless they made a direct sequel following ToB’s conclusion. Something like a game called Baldur’s Gate: Divinity...

Unfortunately, BG3 is looking to be a very Larian game so I won't buy it.

Larian, like Amplitude Studios, keeps making games that I want to like, that I feel like I should like, but completely fail to click with me at all and I give up on them in frustration.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Doesn't have to be about the Bhaalspawn. Icewind Dale was a kickin' rad tactical dungeon crawler, I'd play more of that.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I think Beamdog tried to pitch a new D&D game in various forms but it didn't work out. In fact, I'm not sure how they're doing these days, their latest project was an Axis & Allies adaptation and I wonder how large the audience is for that? In fairness, Trent Oster seemed extremely passionate about that, at least.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I absolutely did not enjoy Divinity: Original Sin and I'm very concerned about Baldur's Gate 3 as a result. However, I do want a game with 5E rules.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vargatron posted:

I absolutely did not enjoy Divinity: Original Sin and I'm very concerned about Baldur's Gate 3 as a result. However, I do want a game with 5E rules.

I felt that way a lot but it was 90% bad level/general design choices that hosed up what was a lot of fun writing, questing, and combat. Great game buried beneath a shitton of 90s era game design ideas.

edit: And some of the most amazingly bad crafting design I've ever seen. It was functional enough when you needed it but was just a massive loving pain in the rear end to work with every single time.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 22, 2021

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

There are like four balance changes in amongst like 200 bug fixes, I don't think it's a bad thing that they've released this patch. They're very easy changes to revert with mods and I'm sure a mod to that effect will be out any day now.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I know how Rods of Resurrection were 'abused'; they were basically Wands of Heal and I do understand why they changed them.

Having said that, what was 'wrong' about Greater Restoration, Mass Raise Dead and possibly Mass Cure that required changes?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
In my head, the main issue with the resurrection nerf is that when you die it dumps all your poo poo on the round and if you resurrect someone mid combat they can't re-equip armor, which, if your at the point in the game where you are capable of casting resurrection, if they are a martial class, the armor is pretty important and in a pen and paper game they would still be wearing.

Oh also using it on your MC to avoid a game over. But if we wanted to make the game closer to pen and paper, it shouldn't be an automatic game over when your MC dies if people in your party can cast Raise dead or any of the other things that do something similar. You can't even say "well he's a Bhaalspawn and the rules are different for them, because so is Imoen and raise dead etc. work perfectly fine on her.

Every single NPC romance option can eventually bring someone back to life, you think they wouldn't do it if you're romancing them?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
They handwave it for Imoen by basically saying "Oh, well, her divine spark is so miniscule that she can die without disintegrating and her essence returning to the Big Bhaal Hole." The protagonist, and other major Bhaalspawn like Sarevok, have enough inherited divinity that their souls atomise the second they die. I think there's an interjection about it in Throne of Bhaal?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Zeerust posted:

They handwave it for Imoen by basically saying "Oh, well, her divine spark is so miniscule that she can die without disintegrating and her essence returning to the Big Bhaal Hole." The protagonist, and other major Bhaalspawn like Sarevok, have enough inherited divinity that their souls atomise the second they die. I think there's an interjection about it in Throne of Bhaal?

That's kind of hosed up lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zeerust posted:

Sarevok, the guy you killed in Game 1 and can recruit in Throne of Bhaal.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

bike tory posted:

There are like four balance changes in amongst like 200 bug fixes, I don't think it's a bad thing that they've released this patch. They're very easy changes to revert with mods and I'm sure a mod to that effect will be out any day now.

The pathfinding needed work badly, patch good. Mass raise dead as a heal spell was kinda bonkers anyway, even I don't think it really needed to be changed either. The rod nerf I kinda laughed at because in all my years of playing this game I never once thought to use the rod as a heal.

Skwirl posted:

Sarevok, the guy you killed in Game 1 and can recruit in Throne of Bhaal.

He goes to hell and his divinity is taken from him, which he directly states. It's why he doesn't actually come back unless you or Imoen give a bit of themselves so he can get just a tiny bit of the bhaal essence needed to return to life, and it's specifically just a bit.

Not gonna argue it's a great excuse but it is addressed.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

pentyne posted:

I felt that way a lot but it was 90% bad level/general design choices that hosed up what was a lot of fun writing, questing, and combat. Great game buried beneath a shitton of 90s era game design ideas.

edit: And some of the most amazingly bad crafting design I've ever seen. It was functional enough when you needed it but was just a massive loving pain in the rear end to work with every single time.

Yeah I guess I bounced off of the combat really hard. Which was really odd because I generally enjoy tactical RPG combat. I guess the encounter design coupled with the environmental effects system just turned me off on the whole experience.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Vargatron posted:

Yeah I guess I bounced off of the combat really hard. Which was really odd because I generally enjoy tactical RPG combat. I guess the encounter design coupled with the environmental effects system just turned me off on the whole experience.

Same, and I'm not enjoying BG3 as much as I have other recent games, but I definitely like it more than D:OS.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Psycho Landlord posted:

The pathfinding needed work badly, patch good. Mass raise dead as a heal spell was kinda bonkers anyway, even I don't think it really needed to be changed either. The rod nerf I kinda laughed at because in all my years of playing this game I never once thought to use the rod as a heal.

I used to use the rod of resurrection for fighters in ToB, like Korgan can carry a rod and use it as a full heal for himself. But lately I havent used it too much, I use hardiness more and dont use pure fighters too much. Also I actually cast Regeneration spell on people, it's not a huge bang for the buck, but I don't use my high level cleric spots that much so regeneration actually works well.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hey is the person who voiced Imoen in the Imoen romance mod still around? Because I just saw some of the actual funniest poo poo ever about it.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/36101/imoen-romance-v3-0-release/p26

quote:

by that logic you also must think a bowdlerised version of Shakespeare is an improvement, lol. the Imoen romance mod literally changed my life (I'm not kidding), and what happened to it is a disgrace even worse than anything George Lucas ever did to SW (for example), as a great thing was downgraded to a mediocre thing. like I give the slighest gently caress what some bigots might or might not think about the content of the original. my favourite books are American Psycho and Illuminatus! ffs

and it's not even about anything that was removed (I really don't even know what you are talking about there exactly, it's like at least a third of the original dialogues aren't there anymore, and it's not like there wasn't even anything explicit in the first place) but about the retcons and disgusting additions like Jaheira's truly revolting bitching at the begin of the romance, and plainly, about the downgrade of writing style. can't believe Kulyok had a hand in it (if I remember correctly, the Xan BG1 romance was great and so insightful.

For the record: I'm pretty sure most of what the rewrite did was remove all the weird rape and poo poo you could do to Imoen so the mod could be shown on the Beamdog forums.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 26, 2021

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Big fan of the reply "don't use the term bigot, this isn't twitter" too. :allears:

I'm curious as to how exactly they managed to get an incest mod on the Beamdog forums, though.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
The original imoen romance mod had a scene in which you could brain Imoen with a rock.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

goblin week posted:

The original imoen romance mod had a scene in which you could brain Imoen with a rock.

:allbuttons:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yep sounds like a BG romance mod

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

goblin week posted:

And not Eldoth????

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Christ, Neera's BG2 content is insufferable. :cripes:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Vichan posted:

Christ, Neera's BG2 content is insufferable. :cripes:

I've come to the conclusion that Neera is supposed to be infuriating, and the voice actor really sells it. She's up there with Anomen as well-written, extremely dislikeable characters. Not sure what it says about me that I'd rather have Dorn or Edwin in the party.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What exactly carries over from BG1 to BG2 in terms of save game import?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, it's terrible, but at least you get some decent gear out of it. I carry the reward from the cat quest all the way through ToB.

E:

Vargatron posted:

What exactly carries over from BG1 to BG2 in terms of save game import?

Very little. No plot decisions carry over, which is why every time you meet a BG1 character you get a choice of "remember me?" "who are you?" "didn't you die?" All that obviously carries over is the PC's stats/level/etc., which is why you should use every stat boosting tome you find on the PC. It also checks your inventory before it's deleted, and a select few items can be seeded into the BG2 world. A couple items can be recovered in the intro dungeon, and I think a couple can be added to the Adventure Mart shop. That's it.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 26, 2021