Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
lmao why would you put effort into a job

oh uh looks like i helped the boss gain capital wow what a good use of my time on earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

That kind of odd behaviour of putting in extra work just puts a target on your back for when layoffs come round

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Cloks posted:

oh uh looks like i helped the boss gain capital wow what a good use of my time on earth

seriously

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

i put effort into my work and it helped me get promotions and raises :shrug:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

ben shapino posted:

what did that net you?

more work

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Slotducks posted:

what did that net you?

more work

more money, mostly.

lol if you think promotions = more work

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

ben shapino posted:

more money, mostly.

lol if you think promotions = more work

To be fair is a lot of places I have worked promotions got you way more work, and doing competent work just got you more work for the same pay. Not everywhere though, but a lot of places.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

ben shapino posted:

Only way I'm getting raises for working harder is if I jump ship to another firm.

But that's somewhat the norm in my field, for some dumbass reason.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

ben shapino posted:

This

Slotducks posted:

what did that net you?

more work

This, and a 35k raise, then another 10k raise again when company A sold us to company B. The corporate life isn't so bad. Even if it costs me 80+ hours of my life a week.

Breaking 200k before the age of 30 is alright.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Diametunim posted:

This

This, and a 35k raise, then another 10k raise again when company A sold us to company B. The corporate life isn't so bad. Even if it costs me 80+ hours of my life a week.

80 hours of your 20s per week?

You are living in hell and suckin after the devil already nutted

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Tetramin posted:

80 hours of your 20s per week?

You are living in hell and suckin after the devil already nutted

Hail Satan than. He pays for my expensive rear end hobbies.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Only reason I put in extra work is because it makes the world a better place. If I worked for a for profit company my actions would be... different.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Diametunim posted:

How do you have time for hobbies?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Diametunim posted:

This

80+ hours, are you nuts? If you play your cards right as a computer toucher you can do like 20 hours of actual work and still earn ~100k lol

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Have you considered doing less and getting promotions and raises?

Worked for me

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

become a millionaire before 30 and then get a cushy 40/week job to maintain so you can have your race cars and golf. its pretty straight forward

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

You guys are getting raises?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i work 100 hours a week and the C-levels tell me my DSLs are pretty when they're done

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Inzombiac posted:

Only when they needed to convince me to come back. Coworkers still haven't gotten any.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Inzombiac posted:

Yes, but mostly because the executives in the company don't want to lose more people than they already have after the voluntary separation packages were way more popular than they had anticipated and internal surveys indicated that employees were considering other opportunities due to the canceling of raises and the furlough days.

My wife even got a bonus and her boss admitted it was pretty much a bribe to keep her in place.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Diametunim posted:

How many 40k armies do you own?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've never heard anybody in the 60-80 hour overachiever crew say something along the lines of "work hard play hard" in any way that doesn't sound like they are trying to convince themself most of all.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

zedprime posted:

I've never heard anybody in the 60-80 hour overachiever crew say something along the lines of "work hard play hard" in any way that doesn't sound like they are trying to convince themself most of all.

Yeah this

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

zedprime posted:

I may be 50, divorced, and have kids whos childhoods I've mostly missed, but goddamn I've got good benefits

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

i mean im not going to put in 80 hours a week for what comes out to less money per hour unless i really need the extra money but stepping up a little bit here and there has helped me stand out from coworkers who only ever do the bare minimum and i have been rewarded for it

of course we know there are plenty of people who do the bare minimum and fail upwards anyway

i guess you could say work ethic is a land of contrasts

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Lazyfire posted:

My wife even got a bonus and her boss admitted it was pretty much a bribe to keep her in place.

this is the only type of promotion i've ever got - a BRIBE to stay on the crazy train and hear circus music in my head all day

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I may only make an average wage but I don't ever go beyond 40 hours unless I want and there is a real need.

Some people don't like it but not having an expectation of OT makes the tenor of the office a lot more relaxed and, as a consequence, more productive.

People who brag about doing 60+ all the time are running from something.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

goatface posted:

Stop sending big files as attachments.

I don't! But I work with 50 + year old ladies who don't know how to resize images. I'm in consumer packaged goods.

edit: I only work about 5-10 hrs a week and get paid for 40 so I shouldn't complain.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I guess I technically sometimes work after normal hours, but I usually spend about 70% of my working time not working and manage to stay ahead and look good for the bosses.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I’d rather make $50k working 40 hours a week than I would want to make $200k working 80 hours a week unless my job was not a real job but schmoozing and traveling and being a “international manager” or some bullshit

Then again I don’t have any expensive hobbies and/or drug addictions

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

AHH F/UGH posted:

I’d rather make $50k working 40 hours a week than I would want to make $200k working 80 hours a week unless my job was not a real job but schmoozing and traveling and being a “international manager” or some bullshit

Then again I don’t have any expensive hobbies and/or drug addictions

I have a friend that makes 2x what I do but works 80+ hours a week and his brain is broken at 30. Would not trade my job for his.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Got paid to do grunt work yesterday. Which is nice because I used to do the same grunt work years ago for less than half of what I'm making now.

Get to listen to music, setup some desks and make good money? Yea sure thing.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Rockman Reserve posted:

i work 100 hours a week and the C-levels tell me my DSLs are pretty when they're done

Is there a way to read this where you're not talking about your dick sucking lips? I know DSL was direct service line or something but if you're being abused at work it's ok to ask for help.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

kntfkr posted:

Is there a way to read this where you're not talking about your dick sucking lips? I know DSL was direct service line or something but if you're being abused at work it's ok to ask for help.

Look at this trust fund kid that never did a stint at the Dick Sucking Factory.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s not just the number of hours you have to look at. My last safety job I was working 60 hour weeks but I still had enough left in the tank to actually do stuff when I get home. My current job is 40 hour weeks but when I’m working my life is basically either work or sleep, I’m too beat for much else.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s not just the number of hours you have to look at. My last safety job I was working 60 hour weeks but I still had enough left in the tank to actually do stuff when I get home. My current job is 40 hour weeks but when I’m working my life is basically either work or sleep, I’m too beat for much else.

This sounds more like depression, to be honest. I had the exact same thing in my last job.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cloks posted:

My job expects me to put in effort and they'd let me go if I didn't :smith:

That said 60+ means you're either losing sleep or losing your weekend. What on earth are people working for if not the weekend, assuming it's a normal job and not some life affirming cause?

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 22, 2021

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

kntfkr posted:

it's the only way to truly get ahead, which you'd know if you had any true ambition smdh

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lazyfire posted:

This sounds more like depression, to be honest. I had the exact same thing in my last job.

While this job is a pit of misery that I can’t wait to leave (I’m literally only here for resume time towards my CSP), a lot of it is that it has zero downtime and I’m walking 10-15 miles a night and there’s a lot more physical poo poo to it than there should be because I can’t just throw people at problems despite ostensibly being management. There’s just no people to throw at stuff because of the insane amount of cost cutting (see also, them not replacing me when I transfer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm probably underpaid but I'll never leave here voluntarily. I work 20-40 / week, do what I want, either by myself or with coworkers I love.
I'm half retired now lol