Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

Was that Phil's Wallets?

It was the dude who advertised for SA Mart for years. I actually tried to grab it from my back pocket about 30 minutes ago to take a picture and realized I wasn't actually sitting on it. *Flanders nothing at all GIF*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Guess who has a medical emergency?

Like 30 minutes ago I suddenly double over in pain intense chest pain up my throat. After 5-10 minutes of it not changing get a ride to the er. Two streets away it completely goes away. Turned around and am now sitting in an urgent care. 😎

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

Sorry for spamming projects.

This looks neat, I wish I had the patience for longer projects.

also :justpost:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kalli posted:

Guess who has a medical emergency?

Like 30 minutes ago I suddenly double over in pain intense chest pain up my throat. After 5-10 minutes of it not changing get a ride to the er. Two streets away it completely goes away. Turned around and am now sitting in an urgent care. 😎

probably gird or reflux, that's the hope anyway. Good luck Kalli!

Worst losers on all of Trek are Ensign Kim, and Malcolm Reed. Geordi got really lame with his holodeck fake girlfriend, but at least he was friends with Data and didn't strike out when given the opportunity with Seven of Nine, or just be a constant military-wanker useless guy whose only friend barely tolerates him and otherwise everyone hates (that's Reed).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh yeah also Skwirl I'm sorry I wasn't here for you re: semantics of the word "objective", you fought the good fight but it was always going to be a bitter defeat. Language evolves and the adjectives "objective" and "literally" no longer mean anything more than "...and you're not allowed to disagree."

"Objectively bad" just means, I'm saying it's bad, and basing this opinion on criteria that I am unwilling to reconsider or even discuss.

Of course, philosophically, arguably there is no such thing as objectivity: perhaps that problem is the origin of the erosion of the word's meaning and usage.

I'll suggest an alternative: "flawed." That movie that I enjoy, is flawed, but those flaws do not spoil the enjoyment for me, but might for others. I made this painting, anyone who understands paintings will likely notice several flaws of technique and execution, but I nevertheless am happy with it.

Manas enjoyed his ruined steak; we all agree it was severely hosed up, but if he enjoyed it, that was still his prerogative to do, and nobody can actually take that from him, however much we might desire to. His steak was profoundly flawed.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
should i watch voyager after I'm done with BSG

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh god not Kalli

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Any of you that listen to podcasts, this may sound weird but listen to or watch the Dale Jr Download this week. It's him and Brandon Marshall, and it's a great talk about mental health with some good football stories thrown in, plus an amazing Ricky Williams impression.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Package update #2: Ordered some limited edition Knockaround sunglasses because I have a problem with amassing stupid sunglasses. Checked back in my emails for a shipping confirmation because normally they take like 3 days and it’s been over a week. All I found were “we’ve saved your shopping cart, complete your order soon!” emails, apparently I never hit complete purchase. And now they’re sold out forever.

:negative:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

a neat cape posted:

Its got the lowest lows of any of the Treks, but plenty of fun episodes and one of the more interesting overall stories to base a Trek show on. I think its worth it, you get a huge deep dive into the Borg as villains too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

a neat cape posted:

Yes.

It's stronger than ST:Enterprise, especially in its later seasons. It's weaker than both DS9 and TNG: but it still has some standout episodes. You may or may not detest Neelix, which will affect your overall opinion of the show; I will also warn you in advance that the supposed native american expert they consulted when writing Chakotay episodes was a fraud and the native american stuff is incredibly cringey and stupid. But they pull back on that in later seasons more or less.

But on my second full watching of it a year ago I enjoyed the series overall.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leperflesh posted:

Oh yeah also Skwirl I'm sorry I wasn't here for you re: semantics of the word "objective", you fought the good fight but it was always going to be a bitter defeat. Language evolves and the adjectives "objective" and "literally" no longer mean anything more than "...and you're not allowed to disagree."

"Objectively bad" just means, I'm saying it's bad, and basing this opinion on criteria that I am unwilling to reconsider or even discuss.

Of course, philosophically, arguably there is no such thing as objectivity: perhaps that problem is the origin of the erosion of the word's meaning and usage.

I'll suggest an alternative: "flawed." That movie that I enjoy, is flawed, but those flaws do not spoil the enjoyment for me, but might for others. I made this painting, anyone who understands paintings will likely notice several flaws of technique and execution, but I nevertheless am happy with it.

Manas enjoyed his ruined steak; we all agree it was severely hosed up, but if he enjoyed it, that was still his prerogative to do, and nobody can actually take that from him, however much we might desire to. His steak was profoundly flawed.

I do like that I can say "I will literally hunt down and murder the next person who uses the word 'objectively' wrong" and without further context there's no way to tell if I'm being hyperbolic or not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leperflesh posted:

I will also warn you in advance that the supposed native american expert they consulted when writing Chakotay episodes was a fraud

How the gently caress did that happen? Was it a Rachel Dolezal type situation?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh god not Kalli

I'm good, just got home, calling to setup an appointment with my PCP

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like the idea of being pedantic about the word "objectively," because words are not objective. I would argue that skill is more of an objective thing than any individual word's definition. Steph Curry is measurably better at shooting three-pointers than I am. A plate of food that contains dangerous bacteria is measurably worse than a plate of food that doesn't. A game that's littered with critical bugs is measurably better than one that isn't.

Living language, tovarich.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/postinmonkey/status/1385320170365722626?s=21

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Pfizer Pfriends represent

Just leaving my 2nd jab appointment. Scrolling the chat thread during my mandatory 15. Feels good, man

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Kalli posted:

Whew, good

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Kalli posted:

I was about to tell you not to be surprised when medics show up. Our urgent cares locally are midway through dialing 911 when before you can finish the phrase “chest pain”.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
ladies and gentleman, this is mambomoderna number fivetwo

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

D-LINK posted:

Just leaving my 2nd jab appointment. Scrolling the chat thread during my mandatory 15. Feels good, man

Congrats!

Had my performance review. Got the highest rating, but not after the bulk of time being spent on new feedback of what could've been done better. Happy for the rating, not thrilled to spend the time getting surprise feedback with no examples and the whole, "only critical because you've mastered these other things and this would round you out and I want to challenge you"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

I was about to tell you not to be surprised when medics show up. Our urgent cares locally are midway through dialing 911 when before you can finish the phrase “chest pain”.

Yeah, I was completely fine by the time I got into the UC. Got a EKG some other tests, all good. I probably had GERD or something, who knows, doesn't really match the symptoms I just read, will find out when I talk to my doc tomorrow. I did eat some spicy takeout last night, so maybe that caused it? or the slice of pizza I had for lunch? WHO CAN SAY? doesn't make any sense, do know it sucks, so I don't want that happening again.

Literally had my buddy pull over as we're driving to the ER and was like... huh I'm fine. Got out, walked around a bit, did some deep breathing, all clear.

Walked to a supermarket after I got out of the Urgent Care to grab some prilosec just in case that takes care of it, immediately wished I was not wearing sweatpants for a guy who weighs a lot more then I do and destroyed slippers. For once I was the people of Walmart.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

Neil Armbong posted:

Congrats!

Had my performance review. Got the highest rating, but not after the bulk of time being spent on new feedback of what could've been done better. Happy for the rating, not thrilled to spend the time getting surprise feedback with no examples and the whole, "only critical because you've mastered these other things and this would round you out and I want to challenge you"

I hate that and honestly it is so dumb how that works. I had a performance review a while back and was told out the gate, oh I intentionally score everyone low so that there is room for improvement in the next review.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Neil Armbong posted:

Congrats!

Had my performance review. Got the highest rating, but not after the bulk of time being spent on new feedback of what could've been done better.

I've never experienced a rating scale where the top rating can actually be achieved by mortals.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SundayMoney posted:

I hate that and honestly it is so dumb how that works. I had a performance review a while back and was told out the gate, oh I intentionally score everyone low so that there is room for improvement in the next review.

That seems like actual fraud to me. Your reviews obviously have some sort of financial incentive, so for them to say they made it lower than you deserve intentionally is super problematic.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Skwirl posted:

Probably in the same way that Iron Eyes Cody managed to make a living as an “Indian” even though he was just some Italian dude - no one bothered to check because they didn’t really care.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Hey, remember when this was the most important thing in the US for like months

https://twitter.com/RetroNewsNow/status/1385329954708205573?s=19

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember if I posted this before in cspam or in here, probably both, but probably a couple of times a month I remember that story and it blows my mind that that used to be national news for a solid few weeks. Our tolerance level for state bullshit has grown incredibly since the late 90's and early 2000s.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

That seems like actual fraud to me. Your reviews obviously have some sort of financial incentive, so for them to say they made it lower than you deserve intentionally is super problematic.

I've been in the situation where managers with excellent teams are told they're overrating all their employees and have to lower some ratings. As if there's no such thing as a team with six very senior employees who have been doing extremely well at their jobs for 10+ years.

The response org-wide these days seems to be that it's extremely hard to get a 5. A 4 already means you're doing very well and exceeding expectations. You can have one or two 5s out of like 8 criteria but if you have all 5s the manager is gonna get told "bullshit, no such thing as a perfect employee who overperforms in every aspect."

The review process is undoubtedly still useful for employees who are genuinely struggling in some area, but the impact of this sort of thing is that most of the numbers are meaningless. Probably 90% of employees have a bunch of 3s and 4s and exactly 2 5s every year and now you can't really use performance reviews to differentiate, other than maybe finding the bottom 5% of employees who are loving up badly enough that they're gonna get fired.

Skwirl posted:

https://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2021/02/26/voyagers-native-american-consultant-was-a-fraud/

e. this is a better article
https://heavy.com/entertainment/star-trek/jamake-highwater-voyager-fake-native-american/

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 22, 2021

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Neil Armbong posted:

Congrats!

Well done. About quarterly my manager (on me third after 1.5 years now, lol) will give a really broad statement about "[director] really wants senior and above engineers to be leading improvement projects with the E1 and E2's, so we need to make sure we're getting you those opportunities and documenting it." Today that speech was given after I listed everything I'm doing and said I'm pretty full up on work for the foreseeable future!

Honestly at this point I'm perfectly happy landing in the 60% of people lumped into "meets expectations", because, like Rectal Placenta, I'm pretty sure I would have to divorce my wife and marry my job to be in that top bucket.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

loving lol, he had already been outed as a fake before he got hired as a consultant for Voyager.

Also, why didn't they just hire an actual Native American for the role?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Leperflesh posted:

The review process is undoubtedly still useful for employees who are genuinely struggling in some area, but the impact of this sort of thing is that most of the numbers are meaningless. Probably 90% of employees have a bunch of 3s and 4s and exactly 2 5s every year and now you can't really use performance reviews to differentiate, other than maybe finding the bottom 5% of employees who are loving up badly enough that they're gonna get fired.

Ours is basically all of the managers in our part of the org get together and compare people who have the same job title. They break it out so it's like 15% are killing it, 60% are status quo, 25% need to step it up.

The annoying arbitrary part is how much of it is how well I personally track and document everything I do so my manager can have a bigger list of accomplishments to point to. I am trying to get better about doing that, but I'm also not going to sweat it when the guy who has Director of QA as his 10 year plan and works (literally) at least 12 hours a day is rated above me.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

a neat cape posted:

Only episode you need to watch is Threshold.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hiring people of Hispanic descent to play native americans was (and still is) the most common approach throughout the last century. At least when it wasn't just a random white american in "redface." And yes, if they'd cared to look into his background at all, they'd have discovered he was a fraud, but remember this is a time before most people used the Internet and you had to actually do real research. The man was a widely published author and still passing himself off as an expert at the time Voyager was made, and nobody had the foresight or instinct I guess to look into it further.

You'd have thought that his input into the character might have rung some loving alarm bells, though? Like I'm pretty sure that even 19-year-old me in 1994 would have been raising some eyebrows about the authenticity of Chakotay's spirit journey stuff. It's hokey and stupid.

One thing these articles don't make clear is how much of his consultation was actually used, vs. the episode writers' own invention, though. I don't think 100% of the fuckup can be blamed on the consultant. This is the same production that hired Jeri Ryan to be the T&A character for ratings... although it just randomly turned out that she was an excellent actress, something Kate Mulgrew never got over.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Anyway, so after that brush with death I now realize that any post I make could be my last

So

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Anyway, so after that brush with death I now realize that any post I make could be my last

So

He accidentally made a great one, again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Hiring people of Hispanic descent to play native americans was (and still is) the most common approach throughout the last century. At least when it wasn't just a random white american in "redface." And yes, if they'd cared to look into his background at all, they'd have discovered he was a fraud, but remember this is a time before most people used the Internet and you had to actually do real research. The man was a widely published author and still passing himself off as an expert at the time Voyager was made, and nobody had the foresight or instinct I guess to look into it further.

You'd have thought that his input into the character might have rung some loving alarm bells, though? Like I'm pretty sure that even 19-year-old me in 1994 would have been raising some eyebrows about the authenticity of Chakotay's spirit journey stuff. It's hokey and stupid.

One thing these articles don't make clear is how much of his consultation was actually used, vs. the episode writers' own invention, though. I don't think 100% of the fuckup can be blamed on the consultant. This is the same production that hired Jeri Ryan to be the T&A character for ratings... although it just randomly turned out that she was an excellent actress, something Kate Mulgrew never got over.

Jeri Ryan getting the Star Trek job directly leading to Barack Obama becoming president is one of my favorite bizarre historical facts.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I like Lebron's abs poking through his jersey.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

I'm also reminded of the hokey guy Snyder hired to do some interviews where he declared Redskins wasn't racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Kalli posted:

So

I wish the police state could be destroyed with some literal and metaphorical Lebron dunks.