Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Vince MechMahon posted:

I always looked at it as if Danny hit Shang with the fist, it's over. But Shang is good enough he wouldn't get hit with it.

In general, how high up the flag pole do you have to be for this to not be true? I feel like he'd sleep Luke or Thing with the fist too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

In general, how high up the flag pole do you have to be for this to not be true? I feel like he'd sleep Luke or Thing with the fist too.

He's punched out Hercules, Skaar and Ragnarok.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Apparently the trailer for Shang-Chi is getting a negative response in China and among other things like it looking too "westernized" a big part of it is also a lot of people over there think Simu Liu is ugly for some reason. I don't see it but that's gotta be tough on him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

X-O posted:

Apparently the trailer for Shang-Chi is getting a negative response in China and among other things like it looking too "westernized" a big part of it is also a lot of people over there think Simu Liu is ugly for some reason. I don't see it but that's gotta be tough on him.
Not enough mention of the Glorious PRC for them?

I mean I think it’s mostly shot in SF, right?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

An entire country thinks he's ugly? Huh, we have more in common than I thought.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
By "a negative response in China", we mean "there's a few guys mouthing off about it on Weibo", right?

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Fangz posted:

By "a negative response in China", we mean "there's a few guys mouthing off about it on Weibo", right?

not taking youtube likes/dislikes as gospel, especially since people love to brigade poo poo, but the trailers on what look to be marvel’s taiwan and hong kong
channels are definitely getting a mixed reaction

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I thought the shang-chi trailer looked OK. I was hoping for less cgi and more practical effects for the martial arts movie. Something like John woo, man of tai chi, or Donnie years work.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not enough mention of the Glorious PRC for them?

Nice casual sinophobia

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 21, 2021

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

X-O posted:

...... a lot of people over there think Simu Liu is ugly for some reason.

Yeah, like Jackie Chan.
It's probably just their version of perpetually online melenials/zennials who think he should be a beautiful pop star pretty boy instead of a hunky slab. I guess if you go back, guys like Bruce Lee, Gordon Liu, and Jet Li were pretty so maybe it's always been a thing. He's definitely got a butch look for an Asian actor, I'm kinda surprised that matters in China more than it does here.

Edit:VVVVV Absolutely, it's an American character written for an underrepresented demographic of Americans.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 21, 2021

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's unfortunate for Disney's long term marketing but I don't give a flip. I care way more about what Asian-Americans think about it, since that's where representation will have an effect.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Idk if I’m super hype for Shang Chi (I’m just a lil burnt on Marvel atm) but this seems like ridiculous criticism; Simu Liu is clearly very handsome?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Idk if I’m super hype for Shang Chi (I’m just a lil burnt on Marvel atm) but this seems like ridiculous criticism; Simu Liu is clearly very handsome?

Different cultures have different standards for beauty. This is fine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's set in SF but apparently was mostly filmed in Sydney, Australia.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Mr Hootington posted:

Different cultures have different standards for beauty. This is fine.

I mean, if Chinese Twitter is going in on him for being ugly in a really mean-spirited way, idk if that is “fine.” Seems lovely, actually!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I mean, if Chinese Twitter is going in on him for being ugly in a really mean-spirited way, idk if that is “fine.” Seems lovely, actually!

If people are expressing an opinion about a public figure this is fine. If they are invading his private life to say so this is not.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

That's unfortunate for Disney's long term marketing but I don't give a flip. I care way more about what Asian-Americans think about it, since that's where representation will have an effect.

They're not going to be happy either, he's Canadian!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Canada is part of the Americas!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Leading men in live action stuff from China, Japan, and S. Korea seems to have moved closer to the youthful prettyboy type and away from the more rugged dad-ish type since... maybe the mid 00s? Idk why or if/when it will move a different direction, but the US has had similar swings in the past.

You look at American action movies from before the 80s and your leads mostly look like Burt Reynolds, Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson; modestly in shape, mostly regular style dudes with faces like your alcoholic uncle. Then the 80s come and you have your absurdly yoked, larger than life types: Arnie, Stallone, Dolph, with Bruce Willis being the odd man out for his everyman look. Then the 90s wash that macho style out and bring in what is probably closest to Asia's current prettyboy trend with mostly guys that look like they were pulled from 90210.

There's probably some politics and social science to be mined from figuring out why these decades produced these heroes (or didn't, in other places), but I'm lazy and I'm not gonna do it

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spider-Man films finally coming to Disney+ as Sony now has a bigger deal in place with Disney. Sony movies will temporarily hit Netflix after release before ending up on Disney+ and Hulu for good after that. This bodes well for Spider-Man continuing to be a part of the MCU for a long time.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1384968196294418446

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

SlimGoodbody posted:

Then the 90s wash that macho style out and bring in what is probably closest to Asia's current prettyboy trend with mostly guys that look like they were pulled from 90210.

I dunno, if you say 90's action movie star the first name that comes to my mind is Nic Cage.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
90s action was all Keanu. Maybe JCVD

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Leading men in live action stuff from China, Japan, and S. Korea seems to have moved closer to the youthful prettyboy type and away from the more rugged dad-ish type since... maybe the mid 00s? Idk why or if/when it will move a different direction, but the US has had similar swings in the past.

There could also be a racial thing we're missing too. There's multiple different ethnicities within what we would call Chinese and I know they haven't always been treated equally.
I hope it's not that.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Sgt. Politeness posted:

There could also be a racial thing we're missing too. There's multiple different ethnicities within what we would call Chinese and I know they haven't always been treated equally.
I hope it's not that.

Oh jeez I hadn't even thought of that, but totally. Like how it was really hard to have a non-white action lead in US action movies for quite a while unless you couched it in a genre like "kung fu" or "blaxploitation"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cythereal posted:

It's set in SF but apparently was mostly filmed in Sydney, Australia.

Yeah they did some location work in San Fran too though.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

X-O posted:

Spider-Man films finally coming to Disney+ as Sony now has a bigger deal in place with Disney. Sony movies will temporarily hit Netflix after release before ending up on Disney+ and Hulu for good after that. This bodes well for Spider-Man continuing to be a part of the MCU for a long time.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1384968196294418446

Huh, honestly surprised. I thought that after Sony and Disney's very public spat over Spider-Man a few years back was pretty much the end of MCU Spider-Man after the new deal was up.

Like I was convinced that with No Way Home doing multiverse stuff was going to end with Spidy and his cast leaving the MCU and ending up in their own universe.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Veotax posted:

Huh, honestly surprised. I thought that after Sony and Disney's very public spat over Spider-Man a few years back was pretty much the end of MCU Spider-Man after the new deal was up.

Like I was convinced that with No Way Home doing multiverse stuff was going to end with Spidy and his cast leaving the MCU and ending up in their own universe.

They very publicly reconciled after a new deal got signed. That's why No Way Home is in the MCU still, it originally wasn't going to be.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone on both sides adores Tom Holland in the role. His passion over being Peter certainly helped spur them along to making a deal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That whole thing was just about money anyway.

Sony's negotiating position was terrible after TAS2 and after the successes they wanted a better split.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Huh.

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1385298973213265923?s=21

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
That is . . . wow.

They're bringing in the Olympians to the MCU. Crowe is going to get killed in about 5 seconds in that movie though, right?

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 22, 2021

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Hercules, Hercules, Hercules!!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Huh! Sure, I'll take it. Hopefully it's not just Zeus but the rest of the fam as well; I wanna see them decked out MCU style.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Time for Jon Gabrus to start cutting weight

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hope they get kevin sorbo as a fakeout who gets killed within the first 10 minutes

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

Hope they get kevin sorbo as a fakeout who gets killed within the first 10 minutes

No, because they'd still have to pay him. How about they just don't have him at all and not pay him anything and let him rot in lovely right-wing DTVs with Dean Cain and Gina Carano.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lager posted:

Hercules, Hercules, Hercules!!

I want full on pansexual Hercules.

And the best line I ever saw from him, that sums up how the character should be written is "I was in the library looking up stories about myself!"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

site posted:

Hope - kevin sorbo - gets killed

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

mikeraskol posted:

That is . . . wow.

They're bringing in the Olympians to the MCU. Crowe is going to get killed in about 5 seconds in that movie though, right?

Almost definitely. I can see them opening with Gor wiping out a pantheon, and the Greeks are a well known enough one to general audiences and they are easily resurrected if they want to use them again

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I hope they digitally remove Kevin Sorbo from Hercules: The Legendary Adventures and replace him with Tig Notaro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m hoping the next Thor movie is going to be like that Superwoman issue of All Star Superman, where Jane gets powers, and has mythologies greatest hunks competing for her affections.