Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Archer666 posted:

Wonder if this means they removed the old DLC outfits, which had Kaine's package on full display.

Considering there were reports that it was reduced in size (based on comparisons between cutscenes old and new in trailers), I would say they probably are but maybe they're downplaying the fact entirely?

It's really such a minefield of a conversation though, on every side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Lord_Magmar posted:

Considering there were reports that it was reduced in size (based on comparisons between cutscenes old and new in trailers), I would say they probably are but maybe they're downplaying the fact entirely?

It's really such a minefield of a conversation though, on every side.

I dont have the images on hand because I'm at work, but there was a comparison showing that every character in Nier 1 has the same basic skeleton, and everyone has a bulging crotch, from Nier to Popola. It's probably not supposed to be a "thing".
It was a very cheap game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PC Gamer gave it a 90 in spite of the port complaints which seems to be a pretty good sign.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

stev posted:

PC Gamer gave it a 90 in spite of the port complaints which seems to be a pretty good sign.

Yeah, that tweet only highlighted two reviews, which seemed to contradict each other (is the fps capped at 60 or is it not?) and one of which was a 9/10 so i'm not quite ready to throw up my hands and call it garbage just yet. i mean it still could be, but i can still hope

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Yoko Taro's message for reviewers on the Square-Enix site went public and I'm not sure if its an accident or intentional but it's hilarious.

https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/nier-replicant-dev-message?utm_campaign=devmessage_photo_SQEXSOCIAL

quote:

ello there everyone, YOKO TARO, Creative Director of NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139... here.

This game is a “version upgrade” of a title released 10 years ago under the name of “NIER”. That’s right, it’s not a remake or a remaster, it’s a “version upgrade”.

In the beginning I only intended for it to be a remaster you know. With some improved resolutions and that… But once I started saying that I would like to tweak the models a bit, or that I wanted to fix up the backgrounds etc., we were soon looking at a lot of fixes and improvements.

I mean, Square Enix recently did that remake of FINAL FANTASY VII right? I saw that and I thought it would be terribly inconvenient to be compared to such a massive blockbuster, so that was when I decided to call Replicant ver.1.22… a “version upgrade”.

Incidentally, the big string of numbers on the end of the title was just something I stuck on randomly, so I wouldn’t think too hard about it if I was you.
And another thing. In recent years, when I have been around Square Enix, they always give off this palpable aura of enthusiasm as if to say “Look! NieR:Automata (the previous thing I made) did well, so NieR Replicant will also sell now”. I would like to take this opportunity to tell Square Enix to take a good hard look at reality. Only the names are similar and the content of the two games is completely different, so it’s not really going to sell all that well now, is it lads?

I mean, come on, I made it! Automata selling was a fluke, and all my other stuff has hardly sold anything worthy of note. If you really do go ahead and manufacture all these discs and then store them in a big pile in a warehouse somewhere, the only thing we can do with that will be to have a good game of frisbee. Although, I mean… that does sound like fun and all…

Right now, at this very moment, some guy from the Square Enix marketing team is looming behind me and his glare is saying “YOKO you bastard, just promote the game properly for a change!”, but meh, not much that can be done about that now is there? Let’s all just give up and call it a day. I mean, you really don’t understand anything in this game until you play it through multiple times right? And the reviewers will find it pretty hard to do that in the limited time they have…

So, more importantly than that, let’s all just go home early and be nice to our parents, Mm, yes, that would have a much more positive impact on the world I think.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why would it not be intentional, it’s the guy’s brand.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/chippznuff/status/1385178080793317377?s=20

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

History Comes Inside! posted:

Especially since it just happens to be an approximation of the square root of 1.5.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That's clearly a message to fans rather than reviewers. Either way I love it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

History Comes Inside! posted:

Is he best friends with Square-Enix's CEO or something.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

Considering he had the Square-Enix CEO appear as an extra boss in one of his games (along with the president of Platinum games) he seems to be a company favorite. I mean, from what little I have heard through the rumour mill about Japanese work culture, going out drinking with your coworkers and bosses seems to be essential, and I mean, just read his spiel about how they should just play frisbee with the Nier replicant rework. He seems like a fun guy to go drinking with and that HAS to count for a lot.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

I think that when Cavia went under and he was freelancing, or during the development of that Left 4 Dead clone of his that got canned, he ended up talking to his friend Saito and pitching some stuff to him. Or some other Squeenix employee who had some pull. That eventually turned into them getting him for Automata, which nobody expected to sell as well as it did.

It still blows my mind that one of my favorite games ever made, which not a lot of people heard of or cared about, just got a updated re-release by Square loving Enix. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall at the first meeting post-release of Automata when it started making big numbers. I imagine everyone was really confused.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Yoko 'Madlad' Taro posted:

Incidentally, the big string of numbers on the end of the title was just something I stuck on randomly, so I wouldn’t think too hard about it if I was you.
And another thing. In recent years, when I have been around Square Enix, they always give off this palpable aura of enthusiasm as if to say “Look! NieR:Automata (the previous thing I made) did well, so NieR Replicant will also sell now”. I would like to take this opportunity to tell Square Enix to take a good hard look at reality. Only the names are similar and the content of the two games is completely different, so it’s not really going to sell all that well now, is it lads?

I mean, come on, I made it! Automata selling was a fluke, and all my other stuff has hardly sold anything worthy of note. If you really do go ahead and manufacture all these discs and then store them in a big pile in a warehouse somewhere, the only thing we can do with that will be to have a good game of frisbee. Although, I mean… that does sound like fun and all…
:allears:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Never change Yoko Taro-san

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

That was a hilarious surprise when I opened my copy. At first I thought they just put some leftover old ads in it, but nope there's a PS5 logo and the copyright 2021 lol

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I don't entirely get the gag. Is there a meme I missed?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Memnaelar posted:

It is about how FFXIV players tend to evangelize about their game.

Speaking of, did you know that FFXIV is completely free to play up to level 60 and includes all the content up to Heavensward? That is a good chunk of game if I ever saw one. Never been a better time to give it a shot! :v:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Memnaelar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8aS43vOSUU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of, did you know that FFXIV is completely free to play up to level 60 and includes all the content up to Heavensward? That is a good chunk of game if I ever saw one. Never been a better time to give it a shot! :v:
i swear, that game gives people brainworms worse than WoW ever did

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

what, is there something wrong with wanting to get other people to play award-winning MMO Final Fantasy XIV, now with a free trial up to the end of the first expa

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

secondhand accounts would have you believe he's drinking buddies with half the people in the game industry, simultaneously

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I preordered the game, thank u yoko. mr squeenix marketing man, i preordered because of that message so let yoko do what he wants.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Veotax posted:

Eh, decided to put in a refund request on GMG and get the PS4 version instead.

Is there any information on whether there are any graphical benefits to PC over PS4 (and whether the PS4, or PS4 Pro in my case, can do consistent 60fps at 4k)?

If the PS4 Pro can do 60fps/4k I might go with that version instead of PC, but I'm assuming that my PC should be plenty strong enough to run the PC version well (and I have it plugged into the receiver that goes into my TV, so that's not an issue).

Unlucky7 posted:

I've been futilely trying to get my friend to play it for a few years now, though I only bug him about it once every 6 months or so. He used to be heavily into FF11 and I don't think he realizes what a modern MMO like FF14 is like since he seems to be under the impression that it would be a huge time sink. For some reason he only plays games or franchises that existed when we were teenagers, with the closest thing to exceptions being stuff like the recent Zelda musou game or FF15.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Never played this originally so gave a quick look at the endings guide to make sure I was covered. Couple things, a question first - if subsequent playthroughs start at the halfway point, is it essential to get all the before halfway weapons on the very first playthrough?

Also a note to those wondering if anything was added or changed in the remake there is a new Ending E

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

The Walrus posted:

Never played this originally so gave a quick look at the endings guide to make sure I was covered. Couple things, a question first - if subsequent playthroughs start at the halfway point, is it essential to get all the before halfway weapons on the very first playthrough?

Also a note to those wondering if anything was added or changed in the remake there is a new Ending E
I think there's an opportunity to get weapons you missed from the first half, but not quests?

also what :stare:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

iirc the former CEO of square enix just kept funding games despite literally none of them selling or being good because he thought they were interesting and weird, including making drakengard 3 and nier not phone games

so yeah pretty much

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Blaziken386 posted:

I think there's an opportunity to get weapons you missed from the first half, but not quests?

also what :stare:

I'm putting a lot of dummy text/periods in the following spoiler to make it unclear if there is added stuff or not, as many might want to be surprised one way or the other I assume.

jk no periods just crazy poo poo, "After Ending D deletes your save file, start a new game with a different name. You’ll play normally until the fight against the huge shade in The Aerie where you recruit Kaine. The remainder of the Nier Replicant remake will play out differently with a new story and cutscenes." I haven't played the original game but that sounds like a pretty significant chunk of new content, definitely more than ending D/E in nier A at least? cool stuff.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 22, 2021

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Walrus posted:

I'm putting a lot of dummy text/periods in the following spoiler to make it unclear if there is added stuff or not, as many might want to be surprised I assume.

jk no periods just crazy poo poo, "After Ending D deletes your save file, start a new game with a different name. You’ll play normally until the fight against the huge shade in The Aerie where you recruit Kaine. The remainder of the Nier Replicant remake will play out differently with a new story and cutscenes." I haven't played the game but that sounds like a pretty significant chunk of new content, definitely more than ending D/E in nier A at least? cool stuff.

If that is true then I am even more excited about the game then I originally was.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Hunt11 posted:

If that is true then I am even more excited about the game then I originally was.

It jives with what I saw in the WaPo review.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Nier is such a cool game, my memories of playing it are so strongly tied to a rainy summer in college when I would listen to the soundtrack all the time. I'm so excited for this upgraded version. It was one of those games that expanded what I thought a video game could be.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Hunt11 posted:

I wonder if this gives us more in game context for All the wild poo poo that happens between Drakengard ending E and the beginning of Nier. In game they brush by some of the stuff that happens but the text of the game itself never actually spells out just how badly you hosed up humanity by the end of the game unless you seek the knowledge out outside of the game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah, I'm pumped too. I've been meaning to replay it ever since automata come out, but unfortunately my xbox360's disc drive broke and this game apparently never made it to the digital store. Really happy it's getting a remake, and I hope that after the success of automata, this game gets the audience it deserves. After a few years to think about it, I think I like the original nier better in terms of everything except the combat. Automata was fantastic, but there was something kind of sublime about the original that it never quite reached, so I'm excited to get to see it again.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The Walrus posted:

I'm putting a lot of dummy text/periods in the following spoiler to make it unclear if there is added stuff or not, as many might want to be surprised one way or the other I assume.

jk no periods just crazy poo poo, "After Ending D deletes your save file, start a new game with a different name. You’ll play normally until the fight against the huge shade in The Aerie where you recruit Kaine. The remainder of the Nier Replicant remake will play out differently with a new story and cutscenes." I haven't played the original game but that sounds like a pretty significant chunk of new content, definitely more than ending D/E in nier A at least? cool stuff.

Lol so long thread, be back in a few days. Thank you blessed yoko taro

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fereydun posted:

iirc the former CEO of square enix just kept funding games despite literally none of them selling or being good because he thought they were interesting and weird, including making drakengard 3 and nier not phone games

so yeah pretty much

Platinum also came to Square Enix about making a Nier game.

I think it's one of those things where people inside the industry saw something even when it wasn't connecting with consumers. It's kind of like early One Punch Man. The drawings didn't look conventionally good, but a lot of artists looked at it and went "Oh, wow, there's something here."

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

I wonder if this gives us more in game context for All the wild poo poo that happens between Drakengard ending E and the beginning of Nier. In game they brush by some of the stuff that happens but the text of the game itself never actually spells out just how badly you hosed up humanity by the end of the game unless you seek the knowledge out outside of the game.
To be fair, Caim was entirely innocent in that, for once. He didn't choose to get shot down by the JSDF. It's not his fault that his and Angelus' pact-particles got spread into the atmosphere.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

GET
HYPE

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
my White Snow edition might be delayed :(

Apparently some rough weather between NV and MI

That spoiler above makes me feel so much worse that I don't have this poo poo RIGHT NOW.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

The Walrus posted:

Is it different from the novel ending E, which is already the canon one?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

goblin week posted:

Is it different from the novel ending E, which is already the canon one?

I haven't seen footage yet, but walkthrough descriptions make me think that it is or based on that "Ending E".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
Completely regretting the fact that I didn't get the collectors edition and now they're out of stock. :negative: