Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Devs have indicated they intend to nerf arrows at some point, probably because everyone's attempts to make stuff "too easy" revolves around bows.

I'd say don't put 'em in the game if you don't want people to use them, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Newflash: ways to damage your enemies at a range is preferable to damaging them up close where they can hit you. There's a reason why warfare evolved into putting holes in your enemies with ranged weapons instead of with a sharp stick.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Aaaah I tried to get my stuff back and the same multi-star troll chased us into the ocean, eventually caught up and destroyed our raft (apparently being out in the middle of the sea does nothing to limit their ability to do massive swings, and the fact that the swing went a good half dozen feet below us and the boat was irrelevant because it still destroyed us, and the insanely cool last ditch jump stab I did to him that would have killed him first went through his head without hitting him, and the second stab turned into a punch at the last second because my toe touched the water. And then he killed me with another swing that came nowhere close to actually killing me.

My luck really has turned for the worst the last couple days.

Anyway as a side effect I honestly don't know how well the spire strat works against trolls, it's obvious their area of attack extends much higher (and lower) than one would expect.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
As an alternative you can just, y'know, step back a little bit when they swing, they're not exactly really hard to avoid :shrug:

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Aaaah I tried to get my stuff back and the same multi-star troll chased us into the ocean, eventually caught up and destroyed our raft (apparently being out in the middle of the sea does nothing to limit their ability to do massive swings, and the fact that the swing went a good half dozen feet below us and the boat was irrelevant because it still destroyed us, and the insanely cool last ditch jump stab I did to him that would have killed him first went through his head without hitting him, and the second stab turned into a punch at the last second because my toe touched the water. And then he killed me with another swing that came nowhere close to actually killing me.

My luck really has turned for the worst the last couple days.

Anyway as a side effect I honestly don't know how well the spire strat works against trolls, it's obvious their area of attack extends much higher (and lower) than one would expect.

That sucks. This game has a way to not collaborate sometimes, it's pretty frustrating when you just want to get on and chill and it totally fucks you over.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

As an alternative you can just, y'know, step back a little bit when they swing, they're not exactly really hard to avoid :shrug:

Yeah, kiting with bows would be a lot less effective if enemies could just attack while moving.

Also if they make bows less effective it will at least make spears and swords more useful as a source of pierce damage. Hopefully instead of just nerfing bow damage they improve enemies' ability to deal with the more evasive tactics like building a firing tower and walking backwards while shooting.

Or remove bows altogether and make spears fly a bit better so they become more effective as ranged weapons.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Ravenfood posted:

Or remove bows altogether and make spears fly a bit better so they become more effective as ranged weapons.

Honestly, Spears would instantly be 100% usable for me if multiple Spears stacked, with a max stack of 5 or 10.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
It'd be awesome if they revamped melee to be like Dark Messiah, using directional arrows to perform different attacks while influencing enemy movement:
https://youtu.be/TWKRkhpFqhE?=10s

Still my gold standard for a melee game.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
As promised, pics of the sky-high stone circle.

This is my stone circle in the sky. It is entirely supported by a web of Ironwood, and entirely laterally.

There is wood below, but it is merely a scaffold to stop pieces from falling when I break things during construction. The Logs are holding the floor up by the roof, not the other way 'round.

How high is it? So high. Here you can also see a corner of the grid that supports the stone.

I tried to upload two images of just the grid, but Imgur REALLY doesn't want to upload them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Plastik posted:

As promised, pics of the sky-high stone circle.

This is my stone circle in the sky. It is entirely supported by a web of Ironwood, and entirely laterally.

There is wood below, but it is merely a scaffold to stop pieces from falling when I break things during construction. The Logs are holding the floor up by the roof, not the other way 'round.

How high is it? So high. Here you can also see a corner of the grid that supports the stone.

I tried to upload two images of just the grid, but Imgur REALLY doesn't want to upload them.

Neat, though not as ambitiously high that is basically what I was looking to do for the floor. Does having the stone slabs between the ironwood, rather than being on top, make any difference to stability or does that just come down to looks?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Kibayasu posted:

Neat, though not as ambitiously high that is basically what I was looking to do for the floor. Does having the stone slabs between the ironwood, rather than being on top, make any difference to stability or does that just come down to looks?

There is no difference. I put them between the ironwood beams, just because I don't want to see the ironwood.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Tetrabor posted:

It'd be awesome if they revamped melee to be like Dark Messiah, using directional arrows to perform different attacks while influencing enemy movement:
https://youtu.be/TWKRkhpFqhE?=10s

Still my gold standard for a melee game.

Dark Messiah was amazing and I always love seeing people bring it up.

Of course, what really made it amazing was the kick button that obviated all the stuff in that video.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, kiting with bows would be a lot less effective if enemies could just attack while moving.

Also if they make bows less effective it will at least make spears and swords more useful as a source of pierce damage. Hopefully instead of just nerfing bow damage they improve enemies' ability to deal with the more evasive tactics like building a firing tower and walking backwards while shooting.

There's a mod called Improved Archery that addresses some of that. Specifically, it slows walking speed when drawing, which should probably be the default in the game. Vanilla bow shooting is definitely too good.

If the devs improved the mob AI to be able to handle cases where there's no path to the player, or added better navmeshing to cut down on the instances where that happens, I'd call that balanced enough.

Just nerfing bow damage itself wouldn't address the core issue, just make exploiting the AI more tedious, imo

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
It takes some fine tuning, but you can make a lighthouse by putting a bonfire up high, and if you make the smoke exit just tight enough, the fire will smoke itself out for a few seconds, and then turn back on for a while.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Mooktastical posted:

There's a mod called Improved Archery that addresses some of that. Specifically, it slows walking speed when drawing, which should probably be the default in the game. Vanilla bow shooting is definitely too good.

If the devs improved the mob AI to be able to handle cases where there's no path to the player, or added better navmeshing to cut down on the instances where that happens, I'd call that balanced enough.

Just nerfing bow damage itself wouldn't address the core issue, just make exploiting the AI more tedious, imo

Yeah nerfing the bow at distance would be a mistake. It's already not huge damage and It feels pretty good as is. Just make kiting harder so you need to revert to melee weapons if enemies close the distance. Or have a teammate tank for you.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

lol playing the mountains with nerfed bow damage, what am i gonna do throw swords at them?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The real problem is the second I tap a filing lightly he goes flying back and I can't hit with follow-up attacks

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

rarbatrol posted:

It takes some fine tuning, but you can make a lighthouse by putting a bonfire up high, and if you make the smoke exit just tight enough, the fire will smoke itself out for a few seconds, and then turn back on for a while.

If you're using the full size bonfires, they don't need a roof. They aren't affected by the rain, so you can just have a roof over the walkway if you want to stay dry.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

lol playing the mountains with nerfed bow damage, what am i gonna do throw swords at them?

Yup, drakes and trolls both make this an incredibly bad proposition. E: not to mention Moder

There would be essentially no way to usefully kill trolls without bows, and whilst troll armour is presumably intended to be substantially later in the game than most people get it based on the bench levels it needs, it's not useful enough to be substantially later in the game, and trolls being essentially unbeatable would make the early game next to impossible. Good luck finding anything in the black forest if you have to turn and flee whenever you see a troll. Good luck defending your base if one gets anywhere near it if you have to get in spear poking distance to do it.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 23, 2021

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Must be annoying to the devs when they hear a boss is "disappointing" and people fight them in the most bitch ways possible. Like sorry you turn the game into gears of war anytime you fight something bigger than a greydwarf. It's not a valheim exclusive problem, in every game where you have a lot of freedom people will always pick the most boring option then say that they're bored.

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 23, 2021

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Trolls you can kill in melee with rolling but the stamina system makes it a pain in the rear end and the death penalty system makes you not want to try it before you've stopped giving a poo poo. You can also parry the unarmed ones with a bronze shield but you kinda want to be able to kill trolls before you get bronze.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

The real problem is the second I tap a filing lightly he goes flying back and I can't hit with follow-up attacks

Try a weapon with less knockback, it's fun.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Instead of nerfing bows, they could adjust mobs’ piercing resistance to make bows still useful against trolls, drakes, etc., but still need some alt weapons for others. IIRC there’s nothing weak to slashing rn so why not give us a reason to make a sword.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
For having created such a free-form open world with relatively easy-going survival mechanics, they sure seem to want us to play a certain way. I've barely raised a single square even in my bases and only use bows to initiate fights, but jeez let people play.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

valuum posted:

For having created such a free-form open world with relatively easy-going survival mechanics, they sure seem to want us to play a certain way. I've barely raised a single square even in my bases and only use bows to initiate fights, but jeez let people play.

You have people in this thread doing things like raising a platform so they can safely fire at a boss, and then complaining that the boss was boring. "Let people play" only works when people don't write reviews and talk about how boring the game is because you let players make it unfun.

Also like we said, the raising ground thing was seemingly never intentional, so preserving it probably wasn't a priority when they tried to fix a frame rate issue. It also likely wasn't removed deliberately, so using it as evidence there is some massive "want us to force us to play a certain way" conspiracy is pretty out there.

Also at least here most of the suggestions a out bows are explicitly about ways to change them that would both make them less good and more fun.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 23, 2021

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
If you're the type of person to find finicky ways to sit somewhere safe and fire 300 arrows, what's stopping you from doing it with 500? And why would we care? Negative reviews complaining about boredom isnt a thing this game has a problem with. It's one of the highest rated games on steam with 96% positive reviews, maybe they should focus on the 96 instead of the 4.

Removing untintended ground raising bugs is fine by me, whatever, but do they gain anything from doing it? Not sure what massive conspiracy you're hyperboling about, but it's not the first time they're discussing lowering player options.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't really get the mindset that causes people to use a certain obviously exploitive mechanic to completely trivialize content like construction without using materials - fine, whatever makes you happy, ok - but then utterly balks at using dev tools to just do what they're doing anyway. Just make your goofy giant artificial mountain in creative mode who gives a poo poo

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

So my regular gaming group finally started a server for this last night and I bought and installed the game for the first time as well, been avoiding all spoilers and knowledge other than what's in the marketing materials. Wow is this a really well designed and beautiful game. My buddy and I built a hovel, got smoked out of it, hid under a rock while it rained to dry off, wandered into the black forest at night and got chased by the shadowy outline of a troll, and figured out how to upgrade our workbench.

The sense of exploration is real and this game is something special, can't wait to figure out more of it.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

The Bramble posted:

So my regular gaming group finally started a server for this last night and I bought and installed the game for the first time as well, been avoiding all spoilers and knowledge other than what's in the marketing materials. Wow is this a really well designed and beautiful game. My buddy and I built a hovel, got smoked out of it, hid under a rock while it rained to dry off, wandered into the black forest at night and got chased by the shadowy outline of a troll, and figured out how to upgrade our workbench.

The sense of exploration is real and this game is something special, can't wait to figure out more of it.

First 4 or 5 days this game was crack straight in my veins. And I don't care that's not where crack goes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't really get the mindset that causes people to use a certain obviously exploitive mechanic to completely trivialize content like construction without using materials - fine, whatever makes you happy, ok - but then utterly balks at using dev tools to just do what they're doing anyway. Just make your goofy giant artificial mountain in creative mode who gives a poo poo

For one the cheats don't work in multiplayer. And maybe some people find it fun to break the system from within?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

break it from within by modding poo poo to have zero cost, what's the difference, who gives a poo poo :shrug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You have fun your way, I'll have fun my way. :shrug:

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
My way is to build an arrow tower then feel let down by the devs. Bonus points if its skipping a biome to get ice arrows for Bone Mass which I'd only know to do if I specifically read a guide.

I have an idea for the next content patch, every boss gets Odin's murder crows divebombing you if you rise above a certain altitude.

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 23, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

xzzy posted:

You have fun your way, I'll have fun my way. :shrug:

Nobody is saying you can't, unless your fun is getting mad when something like that is patched out, I'm saying you should 100% continue to have your fun if it's patched out, who gives a poo poo

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Flesh Forge posted:

Nobody is saying you can't, unless your fun is getting mad when something like that is patched out, I'm saying you should 100% continue to have your fun if it's patched out, who gives a poo poo

Nah there's definitely a difference between an in-game exploit and modding. It's similar to the line between playing a game "properly" and exploiting it so think of it like that if you understand that line.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The Bramble posted:

Hell yeah

When starting out mark everything you can think of on your map - raspberry bushes, thistles, copper veins, runestones in meadows.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I just really hope this isn't the beginning of this game getting balls hard like so many other Early Access games. I don't need another Darkest Dungeon in my Steam inventory.

I think that's why I'm dumping so many hours into building poo poo in this game now, I don't know how possible it will be in a year if the vocal minority get their way.

E: Also, since I'm the one who posted how to cheese Bonemass I think I should weigh in. Building something to trivialize a boss is fun for me, not as much when I'm fighting the boss but when I'm building the thing. It's way more fun than shooting arrows then running away, which is the second-most effective strat, or risking losing hours of stat progress by going toe to toe using melee weapons, which is a great way to run out of stamina in a poison cloud and little else.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 23, 2021

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Look I'm just saying you should need 8 pickaxes to get through a swamp crypt instead of 4 and 1 arrow should cost 2000 fine wood.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I don't think they've done enough updates for us to see what direction they're going to go yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Atlantis better be a biome. All this ocean just going to waste.