Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

subpar anachronism posted:

this is the thread where you learn you have an auditory processing disorder

Perhaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

gleebster posted:

The average pop song (my definition is any song recognized by its performers rather than its writers) is sung by someone whose diction is so poor that the average listener gives up trying and just enjoys the tune.

Case in point:
https://vault.fbi.gov/louie-louie-the-song/louie-louie-the-song/view

tl;dr version: "The FBI Laboratory unable to determine words of lyrics and cannot determine it to be obscene".

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Any time I hear Eminence Front in a commercial. Though 16 Tons in a pro-coal ad is tough to beat.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People complaining about music being used wrong in commercials are goofy, ninety percent of people never think about the lyrics at all except the hook

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I brought my Drake posted:

Any time I hear Eminence Front in a commercial. Though 16 Tons in a pro-coal ad is tough to beat.

Sixteen Tons in pro-coal ads is always going to be the strongest one of these. At least most of the rest of these have ambiguous choruses or unclear lyrics; Sixteen Tons is VERY clear, both in diction and intention.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is why Splatoon's music works, everyone's used to pop songs you can barely tell the lyrics of, so made up squid language just takes off the burden of having to try to understand it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Katy Perry expansion of the Sims must be the tops for that

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is why Splatoon's music works, everyone's used to pop songs you can barely tell the lyrics of, so made up squid language just takes off the burden of having to try to understand it.

More commercials should draw from the burgeoning fartcore scene

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Gaius Marius posted:

The Katy Perry expansion of the Sims must be the tops for that

My coworker, after I introduced him to simlish songs, made a CD of them and put it in for the hourlong commute he and the significant other would take to work. The SO thought they were having a stroke.

The best is the Run Away With Me one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6AgO-5ebXc

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

spookykid posted:

My coworker, after I introduced him to simlish songs, made a CD of them and put it in for the hourlong commute he and the significant other would take to work. The SO thought they were having a stroke.

The best is the Run Away With Me one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6AgO-5ebXc

:eyepop: that's fantastic

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Sixteen Tons in pro-coal ads is always going to be the strongest one of these. At least most of the rest of these have ambiguous choruses or unclear lyrics; Sixteen Tons is VERY clear, both in diction and intention.

The cherry on top of it is that the ad is announcing clean coal is coming. 16 years later and clean coal is still a myth.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

To this specific point:

One of the splatfest songs chorus sounds just like a TMbG song and it's really distracting because my brain is trying to recognize the lyrics or something instead of paying attention to the drat game.

Relevant Timestamps:

Splatoon 2: Muck Warfare https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-xvUfi21Zg&t=42s

They Might Be Giants: Icky https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6xzIPhnsCE&t=38s

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

A big estate agency, aka realtor here in Ireland (country is relevant because we have an exceptionally peppery history with landlords) ran a radio ad here advertising their services to landlords.

The tagline?

"We do the dirty work so you don't have to"

It lasted for about 2 days before it disappeared forever.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Raiders/status/1384650781672939521

https://twitter.com/tashanreed/status/1384678222063833090

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That sounds like a reasonable response

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

It was a boneheaded statement but honestly that’s a well thought response and ownership of said boneheadedness. I’ve seen companies and people get defensive and double down instead of step back and realize “I hosed up, let’s turn this around”

I hate that this isn’t the norm.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

teen witch posted:

It was a boneheaded statement but honestly that’s a well thought response and ownership of said boneheadedness. I’ve seen companies and people get defensive and double down instead of step back and realize “I hosed up, let’s turn this around”

I hate that this isn’t the norm.

"I hosed up, I won't delete my fuckup though" doesn't sound great

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gort posted:

It was tweeted and the screenshots are out there. Deleting it wouldn't actually solve anything

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Len posted:

It was tweeted and the screenshots are out there. Deleting it wouldn't actually solve anything

It would mean fewer people would see it and would send a clear message that the statement has been retracted, I'd have thought.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Alternately it makes it seem like they’re trying to memory-hole a mistake instead of honestly facing up to it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I understand why you can't edit tweets. But Twitter should really let you add some sort of clarifying thing (outside of the 280 chars) to a tweet after the fact which will (almost) always appear alongside it. Instead of this thing where if you don't delete it, it can just show up anywhere without context forever, and people keep engaging with it regardless of how it might have been addressed afterward. Or maybe some sort of "tweet lock" where you can suppress engagement on a tweet; can't be liked/replied/retweeted anymore, maybe it won't even embed anymore, etc.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Byzantine posted:

Well since I kissed you, baby, that evening in the park
I lost my hair and eyebrows and my teeth shine in the dark

These lyrics or anything about atomic bombs aren't in the song Melt With You, what am I missing?

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Gort posted:

It would mean fewer people would see it and would send a clear message that the statement has been retracted, I'd have thought.

On the other hand people who dont know that specific reference can interpret it in “probably” the way it was intended.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt but my interpretation is that now that Chauvin has been convicted and justice served Floyd can now breathe/rest easy.

I thought his response of “ i learned something and need to learn more” was pretty dang perfect.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sucrose posted:

These lyrics or anything about atomic bombs aren't in the song Melt With You, what am I missing?

So, Byzantine's quoting a song called Radioactive Mama, which is a song literally about contracting cartoonish radiation poisoning while making out with, as the name suggests, a radioactive woman. Performed by Robert Allman as part of a novelty album about sci-fi concepts. The album's had an entirely different song tapped for the radio in Fallout games, which should give you an idea of the tone and content of the whole thing. No loving idea why they brought it up, but there you go.

I Melt With You absolutely is about making love while an atomic bomb drops, though, that's confirmed by the song's writer ('I'll melt with you' is, chillingly, not a metaphor). It was right around the beginning of the eighties, the spectre of the Cold War was still there. It's not as blatant about the subject as, say, 99 Luftballoons, but it was absolutely the song's intent.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 17:11 on Apr 21, 2021

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

spookykid posted:

The Bloop posted:

To this specific point:

One of the splatfest songs chorus sounds just like a TMbG song and it's really distracting because my brain is trying to recognize the lyrics or something instead of paying attention to the drat game.

Gonna tie these two posts together 'cause I actually kind of dig this cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-2FjDLYY3E

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Sir Lemming posted:

I understand why you can't edit tweets. But Twitter should really let you add some sort of clarifying thing (outside of the 280 chars) to a tweet after the fact which will (almost) always appear alongside it. Instead of this thing where if you don't delete it, it can just show up anywhere without context forever, and people keep engaging with it regardless of how it might have been addressed afterward. Or maybe some sort of "tweet lock" where you can suppress engagement on a tweet; can't be liked/replied/retweeted anymore, maybe it won't even embed anymore, etc.

Twitter acts like it’s some unsolvable problem, but it’s just another example of how irresponsible they are as a platform.

Consider that the Something Awful forums, running on code birthed from the fires of hell twenty loving years ago, somehow manages to not only let people edit posts, but also flag that they’ve been edited, give them a grace period to edit without that flag, and block edits on a forum-level granularity.

All Twitter needs to do is put an edited flag on a tweet that, when clicked, shows the original tweet. SA might not do that, but despite Jeffrey’s riches, he’s not a multinational corporation worth billions of dollars that employs thousands of engineers.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Vandar posted:

Gonna tie these two posts together 'cause I actually kind of dig this cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-2FjDLYY3E

I'll just be incredibly :goonsay: and mention that TMBG re-recorded this for the game, and that's really Flansburgh singing in Simlish. AFAIR, I think a few other bands did this kinda thing for the Sims 2 College expansion? Stuff for dorm radios.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sir Lemming posted:

If you reply to your tweet you’ll be the first comment anyone sees so that could be used for clarification. You can indeed turn replies off too, but not sure if that can be done afterwards or only when making the post.

E: looks like it’s only when you make it originally, unless I’m just not seeing the option.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
The best solution to Twitter it people need to stop loving using Twitter.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Keystoned posted:

On the other hand people who dont know that specific reference can interpret it in “probably” the way it was intended.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt but my interpretation is that now that Chauvin has been convicted and justice served Floyd can now breathe/rest easy.

I thought his response of “ i learned something and need to learn more” was pretty dang perfect.

That's what I thought the tweet meant

I thought the uproar was because it was a sports team being woke or something to do with 4/20. Didn't know that cops had used the phrase

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Cyril Sneer posted:

The best solution to Twitter it people need to stop loving using Twitter.

Agreed. FRANK is the new hotness

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

geeko55 posted:

I'll just be incredibly :goonsay: and mention that TMBG re-recorded this for the game, and that's really Flansburgh singing in Simlish. AFAIR, I think a few other bands did this kinda thing for the Sims 2 College expansion? Stuff for dorm radios.

Yeah, a couple of bands did this for Sims games, this being my favorite :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvXQhxKodo8

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Holy poo poo I didn't know some of these had been made for the Sims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb-VRm966iM

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/fartpowder/status/1385702840644079616?s=19

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

HopperUK posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't know some of these had been made for the Sims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb-VRm966iM

The Sims got an absolute shitload of actual artists to sing in their weird made up language, and not just well known ones, some of them are really out there, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_InKiijeWrs

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Did Tom Hanks steal their pancreas or do they want to steal Tom Hanks's pancreas?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I have so many questions, but I feel like any answers would only leave me with more.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sucrose posted:

Did Tom Hanks steal their pancreas or do they want to steal Tom Hanks's pancreas?

They already stole Tom Hanks' pancreas and it's just a statement of fact

Hard to run for long without your pancreas

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

EoinCannon posted:

That's what I thought the tweet meant

I thought the uproar was because it was a sports team being woke or something to do with 4/20. Didn't know that cops had used the phrase

For me it was mostly that a rich white guy was like "oh, I guess that's all okay now, I can breathe again." Would have really prefered even the minimum "we can breathe." But his dad Al Davis did a bunch for racial equality, so I'm gonna let it flow under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gort posted:

"I, the head person of the organization, am solely responsible for this and I apologize for it" is like the most absolute progressive woke thing a billionaire businessman can do in that situation. Going even further to say "and no, I won't try to pretend like it didn't happen" is even more shocking.

I was expecting they just pull a "we regret the tweet, the social media intern in question has been fired" and try to play it off like nothing happened.