Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

khttpd is back baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So am I wrong or is this Linux on Windows thing just a built-in hypervisor running I stripped down Linux distro? It’s not anything like wine or a compatibility layer that let’s applications run near natively correct?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

So am I wrong or is this Linux on Windows thing just a built-in hypervisor running I stripped down Linux distro? It’s not anything like wine or a compatibility layer that let’s applications run near natively correct?
Wsl1 was a kernel translation layer that implemented linux system calls on top of the nt kernel. Wsl2 scrapped that approach and is just a lightweight vm.

It doesn't run a stripped down distro, it runs normal ubuntu (or whatever).

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

leaning back in my chair, double-clicking the "httpd" icon, ready to serve up some webpages.

it would appear kde is configured to use single clicks in that screenshot, so you would just be serving double webpages

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

my first linux was redhat 6.2 back in 1998 or so, back in the days when nerds bragged about their uptime and you had to actually consult compatibility charts and take a printout to Fry's to make sure you get the right ethernet card

I used slackware on an old 486 in 2000 because it only needed 4 mb of ram and we used it to share an internet connection. Actually gave it to another nerd so they could learn linux and routing as well. Kinda wish I still had it.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

mycophobia posted:

my first linux was mandrake back in 2003 i think when i was 13 and i had a winmodem and i didnt know what winmodems were and i nuked the windows xp install to install it and i didnt have a recovery cd so i just had a useless, internetless linux computer for a while until i got my dad to buy a retail copy of win xp

Lmao literally my experience was more or less this. Fuckin Mandrake and Winmodems. Luckily I dual booted. I would just log in and poke around and have no idea what I was doing, but it was just so loving cool looking that I was in love with it anyways.

Ubuntu really did change things, for me at least. It still seems to be the distro that the average user can sorta-kinda pick up if they're interested, but there's never been the kind of watershed moment of adoption to hit critical mass. I think plenty of big orgs are rooting for it though. Weird that MS is all about it these days.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Last Chance posted:

check out my sick gentoo stage 1 install

:vince:

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Sapozhnik posted:

XFS had some sort of journalling except it would zero out every file that was open at the time of a system crash

it's the only way to be sure

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Last Chance posted:

augh yueah folks

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
KDE 2 looked nice because it was ripping off people who had actual taste (BeOS) as opposed to trying to do their own godawful fisher-price shiny plastic thing (Krystal)

Here we can see the earlier stages of the infection where the icons had already been ruined but the widgets still used the old styling.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Last Chance posted:

Is gentoo sponsored by charmin?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

mystes posted:

Is gentoo sponsored by charmin?

This is such a sick burn on PA

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epH4QvLUXlY

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

carry on then posted:

are there any super grognards who view ubuntu as some sort of eternal september moment for linux?

the eternal September for Linux was when people started creating “distros”

if only BSD had gone completely AT&T-free a couple years earlier

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

if shits me that ms bought github. please don’t gently caress it up satya

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gentle Autist posted:

if shits me that ms bought github. please don’t gently caress it up satya

it's been almost three years, things have mostly improved (free tier being great now), and if anything it sounds like it would have been better had microsoft had hosed more with github as a workplace.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it's been almost three years, things have mostly improved (free tier being great now), and if anything it sounds like it would have been better had microsoft had hosed more with github as a workplace.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/03/critics-fume-after-github-removes-exploit-code-for-exchange-vulnerabilities/

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, possibly not the best look, but i'd hardly put that under *ruining*. the fact that github pulls poo poo like this under microsoft ownership is far more damning:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/jan/18/github-apologizes-firing-jewish-employee-capitol-attack-nazi-link

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

sobbing rn

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

installed fedora 34 from software update. no problems

the new gnome is nice, but it's going to take a little while to get used to horizontal vs vertical workspaces

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
upgraded to Fedora 34 today on a >10yr old T420 MemePad - runs like a charm.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i wish they would have changed the keys that send windows between workspaces. something like alt+shift+left/right makes more sense now than the old meta+shift+pgup/pgdown shortcuts

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i like bobs and vagner

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The_Franz posted:

i wish they would have changed the keys that send windows between workspaces. something like alt+shift+left/right makes more sense now than the old meta+shift+pgup/pgdown shortcuts

can't you do that yourself

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yeah you can reconfigure system keyboard shortcuts like that, or at least you could in previous versions.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Is it still impossible to disable the ctrl+shift+u Unicode input shortcut (there's a setting but it does nothing lol), breaking convert to uppercase in jetbrains

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hifi posted:

can't you do that yourself

yeah, and I did, it just seems like one of those little things they should have done by default

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The_Franz posted:

yeah, and I did, it just seems like one of those little things they should have done by default

On fresh installs it’s set to ctrl + alt + left/right

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

The_Franz posted:

the new gnome is nice, but it's going to take a little while to get used to horizontal vs vertical workspaces

i installed it to a spare drive and aside from dash to dock everything seems to be working fine, even with nvidia drivers once i disabled wayland. surprising

thankfully as well the changes they've made have made a couple of extensions i was previously using obsolete so you win some you lose some i suppose

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

On fresh installs it’s set to ctrl + alt + left/right

that switches workspaces. I mean moving applications between workspaces

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

sb hermit posted:

my first linux was redhat 6.2 back in 1998 or so, back in the days when nerds bragged about their uptime and you had to actually consult compatibility charts and take a printout to Fry's to make sure you get the right ethernet card

I used slackware on an old 486 in 2000 because it only needed 4 mb of ram and we used it to share an internet connection. Actually gave it to another nerd so they could learn linux and routing as well. Kinda wish I still had it.

At work I'm like "hey we should transition these rhel 7 systems to 8 lickety split there are so many great new features" meanwhile the Fat Boomer Division down the hall insists that nobody upgrade the system that hosts their git repositories, which runs rhel 5

Even the expensive extended support package for that poo poo officially shut off 6 months ago lol

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

QuarkJets posted:

At work I'm like "hey we should transition these rhel 7 systems to 8 lickety split there are so many great new features" meanwhile the Fat Boomer Division down the hall insists that nobody upgrade the system that hosts their git repositories, which runs rhel 5

Even the expensive extended support package for that poo poo officially shut off 6 months ago lol

Why do they care if all it does is host Git repos over (I guess?) SSH?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Athas posted:

Why do they care if all it does is host Git repos over (I guess?) SSH?

because someone will invariably gently caress something up and inconvenience them.

still got to get done to get onto a supported version, but many lols for suggesting anyone should spend time migrating from rhel 7 to 8 for supposedly "many great new features".

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The_Franz posted:

that switches workspaces. I mean moving applications between workspaces

Ah yeah, it's ctrl + alt + shift + left/right

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The_Franz posted:

i mostly likely horizontal workspaces but a gnome 40 port of dash to dock cannot come soon enough for me. having a variety of other issues that seem mostly nvidia driver related with 34 right now. pipewire is also not quite as reliable as pulse audio was in 33...

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I’ve not had great luck getting wine to recognize sound devices with pipewire in Fedora 34.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sounds like linux to me

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

infernal machines posted:

sounds like linux to me

i wouldn't know, my audios not working. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
:rimshot: