Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Levantine posted:

So I put some work into Bennett and replaced Keqing with him. So my current team is Diluc (carry), Bennett, Traveler and Barbara. So, someone help me out - how do I effectively use this team? I've been reading that Bennett is super important but I can't quite figure out how. I don't really understand the mechanics of how different characters work together. Barbara heals, thats easy. Diluc smashes faces. Traveler is mostly just there because he's my lone Anemo character. I ranked up to WL4 and everything is a bit harder now so I'd like to get a better understanding of how different characters play off eachother.

In addition to what someone else said, it's probably worth mentioning that a lot of opinions about characters are assuming that you've built them with reasonable artifacts.

Having artifacts with good main stats is dramatically more important than pretty much every other form of character progression, and most characters will be pretty lovely if their artifacts are bad.

RareAcumen posted:

Xingqiu has now hit 10 friendship as well. First Bennet and now him. This throws a wrench into all of my team setups for the future now.

I just let my parties have one or two people with maxed out friendship (Bennett and Zhongli are the ones I currently let myself use despite being 10 Friendship, though for one of my teams I replaced Bennett with Diona).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Levantine posted:

So I put some work into Bennett and replaced Keqing with him. So my current team is Diluc (carry), Bennett, Traveler and Barbara. So, someone help me out - how do I effectively use this team? I've been reading that Bennett is super important but I can't quite figure out how. I don't really understand the mechanics of how different characters work together. Barbara heals, thats easy. Diluc smashes faces. Traveler is mostly just there because he's my lone Anemo character. I ranked up to WL4 and everything is a bit harder now so I'd like to get a better understanding of how different characters play off eachother.

In that team your biggest source of damage will be using Barbara's elemental skill and switching to Diluc--the little water ring will periodically wet things and allow Diluc's skill and burst to vaporize for 50% extra damage. Unfortunately the water ring has iffy uptime and doesn't really tick fast enough to keep up with Diluc's pyro swings after he uses his burst, so ideally you grab Xingqiu when you can.

The Anemo Traveller can use the Viridescent Venerer set, which allows them to shred enemies' pyro resistance and dramatically boost Diluc's damage potential. VV pieces start dropping from an artifact domain starting at AR35. People will say, correctly, that farming artifacts isn't worth it until AR45, but honestly I'd grab a set of VV when you can just to have access to the set bonus. Don't bother going for good pieces though, literally any four will do. Until then you pretty much just use the tornado burst to group enemies together so Diluc can hit them better, and that's about it.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Levantine posted:

barbara's skill makes everything wet, so if you use it and switch to diluc, his fire attacks hit for 1.5x damage on enemies affected. the downside is the on field character is wet too, so you can get frozen/vaporized if you're not careful. some numbers pretty much covered bennett, he makes you hit harder and has a nice heal

so if you were trying to do massive burst damage, you'd drop bennett's ult, switch to barbara, use her skill and AA to wet up the enemies, switch to diluc, use his ult, spam left click until the red arrows go away

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

I feel like the fact that I already have the perfect Wanderer's set for Yanfei means I'm going to pull an Enviosity and not get the on banner 4* I want after using all of my pulls :(

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Levantine posted:

So, someone help me out - how do I effectively use this team? I've been reading that Bennett is super important but I can't quite figure out how.

The lowdown on Bennett's niche specifically:

Bennett's skill has one of the shortest cooldowns in the game: 5 seconds is pretty short to begin with, but his first passive talent lowers the skill's cooldown to 4 seconds. His second passive talent (which unlocks at level 60/70) lowers the cooldown to 2 seconds while he's standing within the radius of his burst. (Said burst lasts 12 seconds, so if you've invested in his Energy Recharge, a few swings of his skill can easily get back the energy you need to cast it again.) Since his skill generates 2-3 elemental particles every time it hits, this makes him an incredible energy battery for other characters, including and especially other Pyro characters, who are typically main damage dealers. (Characters gain more energy from particles that match their elemental type, even when they're off the field.)

Characters standing in the radius of Bennett's burst are healed any time they're below 70% health, and get an attack boost any time they're above 70% health. Every second, he heals for a percentage of his max health as well as a flat amount of HP. If you have decently-leveled HP% artifacts on him, your characters generally will be able to shrug off hits from anything around their level as long as they're in his burst.

The amazing thing about Bennett's attack boost is that it's based off of his base attack—artifacts don't affect it, only Bennett's level and what weapon he has equipped. This means you have one less stat to worry about and therefore can go all-in on outfitting him with Energy Recharge and HP% artifacts. The attack boost gets even better if you have Bennett at C1—then, his burst gives its attack boost regardless of health amounts, and boosts by another +20% of Bennett's base attack.

tl;dr: Bennett is an amazing healer/damage-booster/energy battery, and synergizes with Pyro characters to boot. Give him a weapon with good base attack, get enough Energy Recharge on him to ensure you can put his ult up as soon as it comes off cooldown, focus the rest of his artifacts on getting HP%, keep him about ten levels below your highest character. In battle, charge up his burst with his skill, drop it, stand in it, swing his skill a few times to get however much energy you need, swap to your now-tanky-and-damage-boosted DPS characters, destroy your opponents, repeat from the beginning once his burst's cooldown ends.

Levantine posted:

I ranked up to WL4 and everything is a bit harder now so I'd like to get a better understanding of how different characters play off eachother.

Diluc: Big sword man smashes faces, as you said. Plays well with characters who can apply Hydro and Cryo on enemies, since Pyro does big damage elemental reactions when combined with those elements. Barbara isn't the best Hydro character for enabling these reactions, for reasons related to the mechanics of elemental applications and reactions. (Xingqiu is the best, by a long shot, which is part of why everyone's recommending him ITT.)
Bennett: Healer, DPS enabler and energy battery. Bust him out when you need to fill up someone's burst; hit with his skill and swap to the character who needs the energy before the particles reach you. (On-field characters get more energy than off-field ones.) I covered all of his good points up above.
Anemo Traveler: Can be a serviceable damage-dealer or set up elemental reactions for a heavy hitter like Diluc. Most people use Anemo characters in conjunction with the Viridescent Venerer artifact set because it lowers enemies' resistance to one variety of elemental damage when an elementally-infused Swirl reaction hits them. If you have a 4-piece set of Viridescent Venerer artifacts on Anemo Traveler: 1) hit an enemy with Bennett or Diluc to apply Pyro, 2) Swirl them to lower their Pyro resistance, 3) apply Hydro with Barbara twice: once to clear the Pyro element off the enemies and once to apply a fresh coat of Hydro, 4) switch to Diluc and hit the Hydro'd enemies with Pyro damage to trigger Vaporize. Otherwise, use Swirl to spread Barbara's Hydro element around in a group of enemies, then whack them with Diluc for Vaporize damage.
Barbara: Burst healing, and a little Hydro application. Where possible, try to hit enemies that have been Hydro'd by her with Diluc's Pyro skill/burst and not Bennett's, since reaction damage takes the stats of the character who triggered the reaction into account. Since her skill self-applies Wet, try to rely on Bennett for healing when Cryo-applying enemies are around so that you don't get Frozen.

Bloody Emissary fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 23, 2021

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Thank you for the tips. I've seen some of what was suggested in action but it's good to see how things actually lay out without guessing. It's a lot to take in but understanding it will help me build a better team. For Xingqui is that a "wait for the banner" character or just pull wishes and hope for the best?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Levantine posted:

Thank you for the tips. I've seen some of what was suggested in action but it's good to see how things actually lay out without guessing. It's a lot to take in but understanding it will help me build a better team. For Xingqui is that a "wait for the banner" character or just pull wishes and hope for the best?

He's going to be on the second character banner in the next patch, so about 3.5 weeks.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Bennet is a monster and is essential on one abyss team if you want to reliably 3 star the later floors

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Benny's kit is strong enough for him to be considered the game's only 6*

He just puts in so much work for 1 party slot

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Also, re: XQ, his Constellations are all incredible, so if you have the gems, going deep on that banner is very reasonable.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
A lot of stuff about party composition won't make sense until you do the abyss a lot. I'm mostly too lazy to use ults much outside of the abyss but in abyss having 100% uptime on important ults is more or less how the game is played. So Q-dependent characters like Bennett, Xingqiu, Beidou, Xiangling won't have their appeal clear outside of that context.

To make overworld generally easier just level your characters/their artifacts.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Levantine posted:

For Xingqui is that a "wait for the banner" character or just pull wishes and hope for the best?

You should save for the upcoming banner, IMO. Just keep in mind that Xingqiu is a 4* character, which are not guaranteed on rate-up banners the way 5* characters are. It's possible to pull a particular one of the three 4* rate-up characters on a banner multiple times in a row, or never hit the particular one you're after, speaking from personal experience. (I got Chongyun seven times over the course of a single banner.)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Bloody Emissary posted:

You should save for the upcoming banner, IMO. Just keep in mind that Xingqiu is a 4* character, which are not guaranteed on rate-up banners the way 5* characters are. It's possible to pull a particular one of the three 4* rate-up characters on a banner multiple times in a row, or never hit the particular one you're after, speaking from personal experience. (I got Chongyun seven times over the course of a single banner.)

I got seven Nings on the Keqing banner. I hadn't pulled one prior.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Speaking of Abyss teams, I'm starting to look at my bench characters to see if I need to work on any of them for potential Abyss teams:

I'm guessing something like
Razor/Diona/Kaeya?/Noelle?
Diluc/Xingqiu/Jean/Bennett?
is the path of least resistance but I need artifacts for Diluc and I need to not immediately grind up the next claymore prototype I get.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

You could also raise Fischl or Sucrose as both are great supports.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Sucrose is definitely better anemo support than Jean on your Diluc team if you've got even a single constellation or sac fragments.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Gyoru posted:

Benny's kit is strong enough for him to be considered the game's only 6*

He just puts in so much work for 1 party slot

It really makes sense if you think of Bennett as the protagonist.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

dioxazine posted:

It really makes sense if you think of Bennett as the protagonist.

He's the protagonist of a story, just not this story.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

padijun posted:

barbara's skill makes everything wet, so if you use it and switch to diluc, his fire attacks hit for 1.5x damage on enemies affected. the downside is the on field character is wet too, so you can get frozen/vaporized if you're not careful. some numbers pretty much covered bennett, he makes you hit harder and has a nice heal

so if you were trying to do massive burst damage, you'd drop bennett's ult, switch to barbara, use her skill and AA to wet up the enemies, switch to diluc, use his ult, spam left click until the red arrows go away

Not really sure myself, but between having Bennett for healing and Barbara not actually being all that great at applying hydro, would Kaeya maybe be better than Barbara? Won't quite get as many elemental reactions, but definitely a small drop on that than swapping away from Xinqui, plus melt being stronger than vaporize per interaction, plus Kaeya having good energy generation and decent damage himself.

Plus lore, which is why my Diluc team outside of Abyss (I ain't loving around in Abyss) is Diluc, Kaeya, Venti, Diona. Turns out Diona has voice lines for all three of her party members, and she is not a fan of any of them.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kaeya's burst ends up becoming the melt trigger due to Diluc's pyro application, so it's not an ideal setup for consistent Diluc melts. in a team that already has Bennett i'd probably just go for it because you can still set up some melts and Barbara is complete dead weight in a team that already has a healer.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Some Numbers posted:

He's the protagonist of a story, just not this story.

Vision users in general are this honestly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I just let my parties have one or two people with maxed out friendship (Bennett and Zhongli are the ones I currently let myself use despite being 10 Friendship, though for one of my teams I replaced Bennett with Diona).

I fumbled around throughout the game so I ended up with a lot of characters at like, level 6 or 7 friendship so I'm just going down the list of them first before I have no other option than to start doing that myself and grind up from 1 and 2 for people I never use like Lisa or Xinyan. I've been coasting along using Fischl's skills and having Sucrose shred everyone's electro defense with her basic attack so I'm gonna have to say goodbye to that soon.

Because just got enough Geo mats to bring Zhongli up from 1st to 5th ascension and I'm gonna springboard his skill to level 8 when I get there too! Artifacts have been conspiring against me so badly that Fischl's a glass cannon with pretzel ankles.

1134 atk and
16 def from artifacts.

Looking forward to being able to ignore taking damage in the future!

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
To me the friendship thing is to force me to use other characters. Otherwise Jean would never leave the party

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't care about friendships unless they start giving out draw currency like FGO, which is oddly of the few things they didn't copy.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Tae posted:

I don't care about friendships unless they start giving out draw currency like FGO, which is oddly of the few things they didn't copy.
It's bizarre that the only cosmetics this game offers is your name card background which is something most people never pay attention to. Next patch we'll get houses to decorate but it looks like you'll get everything through normal grinding and daily play too.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
kaeya vs barbara is really up to you. test drive them, see who you can get reactions with easier. fwiw another reason barbara is solid is the dragon slayers +48% atk bonus. technically you can do that with any catalyst user, but she benefits from the HP bonus on the weapon

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Tae posted:

I know this isn't what you meant, but there /is/ that one set of 3 achievements for achieving friendship 10 with X number of characters.

Like I'm pretty sure that only adds up to a measly 35 primos, but not having 100% on that section sticks in my craw

booksnake fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 23, 2021

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Would be cool if friendship 10 gave a constellation or something

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm sure prepared if they ever give you a bonus!

They did it for leveling characters so it's not like I'll miss out on anything.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The ascension rewards were pretty nice. I ended up getting a Skyward Atlas out of it.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Bloody Emissary posted:

Diluc: Big sword man smashes faces, as you said. Plays well with characters who can apply Hydro and Cryo on enemies, since Pyro does big damage elemental reactions when combined with those elements. Barbara isn't the best Hydro character for enabling these reactions, for reasons related to the mechanics of elemental applications and reactions. (Xingqiu is the best, by a long shot, which is part of why everyone's recommending him ITT.)
Bennett: Healer, DPS enabler and energy battery. Bust him out when you need to fill up someone's burst; hit with his skill and swap to the character who needs the energy before the particles reach you. (On-field characters get more energy than off-field ones.) I covered all of his good points up above.
Anemo Traveler: Can be a serviceable damage-dealer or set up elemental reactions for a heavy hitter like Diluc. Most people use Anemo characters in conjunction with the Viridescent Venerer artifact set because it lowers enemies' resistance to one variety of elemental damage when an elementally-infused Swirl reaction hits them. If you have a 4-piece set of Viridescent Venerer artifacts on Anemo Traveler: 1) hit an enemy with Bennett or Diluc to apply Pyro, 2) Swirl them to lower their Pyro resistance, 3) apply Hydro with Barbara twice: once to clear the Pyro element off the enemies and once to apply a fresh coat of Hydro, 4) switch to Diluc and hit the Hydro'd enemies with Pyro damage to trigger Vaporize. Otherwise, use Swirl to spread Barbara's Hydro element around in a group of enemies, then whack them with Diluc for Vaporize damage.
Barbara: Burst healing, and a little Hydro application. Where possible, try to hit enemies that have been Hydro'd by her with Diluc's Pyro skill/burst and not Bennett's, since reaction damage takes the stats of the character who triggered the reaction into account. Since her skill self-applies Wet, try to rely on Bennett for healing when Cryo-applying enemies are around so that you don't get Frozen.

To add to this, there is a pretty simple rotation you can use that doesn't require you have any bursts charged other than Benny's which is stupid easy to keep up. Diluc's E, Bennet's E+Q, Anemo E, Barbara E, Diluc buck wild on everybody until Bennet's burst is back up.

This gives you pyro resonance + Witch's buff + 40% pyro debuff from VV + Benny buff + 48% atk from barbara + wet status for vaporize. I ran this with Sucrose (EM buff) for a long time until I got XQ loaded up. It's kind of flavor to taste what you do with Diluc once you get him swole but just about anything you do is gonna mess stuff up. Barbara's skill has an awful long cooldown that can be hard to work with, other than that it's easy mainly because Diluc is easy.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Araganzar posted:

To add to this, there is a pretty simple rotation you can use that doesn't require you have any bursts charged other than Benny's which is stupid easy to keep up. Diluc's E, Bennet's E+Q, Anemo E, Barbara E, Diluc buck wild on everybody until Bennet's burst is back up.

This gives you pyro resonance + Witch's buff + 40% pyro debuff from VV + Benny buff + 48% atk from barbara + wet status for vaporize. I ran this with Sucrose (EM buff) for a long time until I got XQ loaded up. It's kind of flavor to taste what you do with Diluc once you get him swole but just about anything you do is gonna mess stuff up. Barbara's skill has an awful long cooldown that can be hard to work with, other than that it's easy mainly because Diluc is easy.

What do you mean by "E" and "Q"? I'm playing on console, so is E the special attack and Q is elemental burst or something?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Levantine posted:

What do you mean by "E" and "Q"? I'm playing on console, so is E the special attack and Q is elemental burst or something?

That is correct. I also play on gamepad so trying to parse out shorthand was kind of hard for me for a while. :v:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Well I need to farm some Windwheel Asters and some Flame Regisvine fights to rank up Bennett to Phase 4. Farming mats for both him and Diluc takes some work, but I am noticing a big boost in damage. WL4 definitely feels like a step up from 3. Things feel a lot more aggressive than they were before. I'm up to like 8k gems so I guess I'll just save them for the upcoming banners. So Xinqui is better for overall damage, but should I be pulling for a Zhongli too? He does shields, right?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Levantine posted:

Yeah I play on console too, the letters just reduce the wall of text a little bit. Diluc's skill is really E E E, optionally with normal attacks between.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Xingqiu is probably the best support character out there. As for Zhongli, he's there to ignore game mechanics and help you conquer the Spiral Abyss.

Also he can mine ore by flexing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I would still say Zhongli is the best support when you build him for max shield+Meteor spam.

With 1.5's artifacts, he easily outdoes XQ as a support IMO since he takes advantage of the 4 piece.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Tae posted:

I would still say Zhongli is the best support when you build him for max shield+Meteor spam.

With 1.5's artifacts, he easily outdoes XQ as a support IMO since he takes advantage of the 4 piece.

I'd also say his constellations are also all pretty good, which isn't always the case, even with five stars. Every one except the first improves an aspect of his abilities that actually matters in a support role, like more shields, bigger meteors, or if you get him to c6 (ha ha ha) light healing when shielded. Most five stars I'd only pull for dupes if they were a personal favorite, and maybe not even then, but with Zhongli I'm planning to blow most of my saved gems.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Zhongli's also the single best Crescent Pike user in the game on top of all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I haven't really pulled much since I started so I guess I'll just take a bite at that banner and see what I can pull out.

I did manage to get my first 5* artifact today from the Golden Palace or whatever domain. Immediately got it to level 20 and stuck it on Diluc (gladiator's finale). I'm starting to see the damage come up a bit, even in Co-op. The game is a bit of a slow burn and never gets too frustrating as long as I don't try to do everything *now*. I'm setting little goals for myself and exploring in between. There's still so much to do!

Levantine fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 23, 2021