Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They did a novel for the original?

I know Automata had a ton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My collectors edition comes tomorrow but it’s coming by DPD who are 0/3 at their last 3 tries to deliver a goddamn thing to me without loving it up so I doubt I’ll have it in hand until Monday.

Good thing I’m playing it digitally on PS5 anyway! It unlocks in an hour but I’m gonna get some sleep and go in fresh tomorrow instead I think.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I got the CE but steam version so while the box might come tomorrow I hope they email the game code sometime soon-ish :sun:

Edit: found the dang code it was in a link at the dead bottom of the invoice email from a few weeks ago. No way to get to it through the store website.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 23, 2021

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

They did a novel for the original?

I know Automata had a ton

there's Grimoire Nier, which is a guidebook/artbook but also has info on the whole timeline of pre-game stuff, plus some Ending stuff.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

He used to be heavily into FF11 and I don't think he realizes what a modern MMO like FF14 is like since he seems to be under the impression that it would be a huge time sink.

I mean, is he wrong or is he just off by a few hours/day? The amount of stuff you have to burn through to catch up with existing players was pretty overwhelming last time I was conned into giving it a shot and anything that asks for daily engagement feels out of bounds at this point in life which again was extremely modern MMO ethos at least as of a couple years ago.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the trick with ff14 is that 'cathcing up with existing players' isnt really the goal, teh story itself is its own thing. if you look at it as a massive burden you have to get through it sucks and takes forever, but if you just enjoy the story it varies from decent to great. that said even by that metric its still the length of at least two giant-rear end ps1 final fantasies (or like 4 lightning returnses/crisis cores) so if you arent prepared to put that much time in thats totally fair

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
I completely recommend FFXIV but always with a warning that 1-60 can be a slog since the story quests are not at the same standards as the expansions. They definitely need to work on that if they want more new players.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1-50 you mean

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
Correct, it's been so long I can hardly remember

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
It took me a year and a half to catch up to the end of 5.0, doing the raid stories as they became available to me. It's a time sink, but tbh you don't lose anything by taking your sweet time, or unsubbing for a month or two to take a break. It's aways there. ...always waiting... and now I own a house so am trapped until the heat-death of the universe.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Irony.or.Death posted:

I mean, is he wrong or is he just off by a few hours/day? The amount of stuff you have to burn through to catch up with existing players was pretty overwhelming last time I was conned into giving it a shot and anything that asks for daily engagement feels out of bounds at this point in life which again was extremely modern MMO ethos at least as of a couple years ago.

He's wrong in the sense that long individual periods of gaming and forming strong social relationships both aren't necessary to seeing most of the game's content. You could just play 30-60 minutes every couple days as long as you don't care about being "competitive" and just want to see most of the game's quests and what have you. So you don't have to stand around grinding for hours like in FF11 (he stopped playing FF11 before they apparently made the grind dramatically faster)

I don't really play regularly; I go through bursts of playing a bunch and then lay off the game for months. If you don't care about having the most up-to-date gear constantly it doesn't really matter.

I also don't think there's any equivalent to WoW dailies for reputation grinds, unless they changed those significantly since I last played (WoW that is, not FF14). There are the beast tribes, but it doesn't take that long to max those out.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ruffini posted:

I completely recommend FFXIV but always with a warning that 1-60 can be a slog since the story quests are not at the same standards as the expansions. They definitely need to work on that if they want more new players.

I feel that as long as you like the world and characters, 1-50 is still enjoyable, albeit full of pace killing segments because 2.0 was, quite frankly, a mess made by crazy desperate people that people are still taking the wrong lessons from (Anthem, Artifact, etc). At least compared to 3.0 onward, where they are in a more comfortable position.

But yeah, I would not go into it with the mindset that the story is just some slog that you need to do and that it "Gets Good" at some nebulous point that magically justifies all the time you put in.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Aw man, I have to go to work at stupid early tomorrow morning so I have to go to bed at 9 to get enough sleep. Nier unlocks at 10 my time. I am torn between playing some tonight or getting enough sleep too not be a zombie tomorrow.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Soysaucebeast posted:

Aw man, I have to go to work at stupid early tomorrow morning so I have to go to bed at 9 to get enough sleep. Nier unlocks at 10 my time. I am torn between playing some tonight or getting enough sleep too not be a zombie tomorrow.

Skip work, gently caress capitalism

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
Working from home, jiggling the mouse every 15 mins squad :slick:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
FFXIV is fun and they just wrapped up a Nier themed raid last week so I suppose that might be part of why there's some cross-promotion going on. I honestly kind of forgot Replicant was coming out until a few of my friends were rhapsodizing about the soundtrack after doing the raid and now I'm really stoked to jump in.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ruffini posted:

Working from home, jiggling the mouse every 15 mins squad :slick:

I listen to podcasts and watch youtube videos and sometimes play gacha games on my phone. While working.

You know when everyone is vaccinated I'll be glad to see my friends and family in person but I'll kinda miss this leisurely work pace.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

Speaking of the PC version, its sounding kind of dire.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1385207601726644225

I loving knew this would happen. Picking it up on ps4 instead

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://twitter.com/ninomaeinanis/status/1383996672531779585

lovely piece of artwork

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
Usually I don't stay up for midnight releases but I might play the intro at least tonight.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Aw gently caress, I guess I'm playing Nier.

Ina Ina Iiiinaaaa :swoon:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Unlucky7 posted:

It is about how FFXIV players tend to evangelize about their game.

Speaking of, did you know that FFXIV is completely free to play up to level 60 and includes all the content up to Heavensward? That is a good chunk of game if I ever saw one. Never been a better time to give it a shot! :v:

"It's the most innovative shooterMMO I've played in years."

ymgve fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 23, 2021

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I watched the countdown timer reach 0, then when I went to start the game, a new timer popped up that's an hour long, wtf

edit: I assumed it would come out at midnight eastern time, and was surprised when someone posted that it was, but it makes sense that it's coming out at midnight.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 23, 2021

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Imhotep posted:

I watched the countdown timer reach 0, then when I went to start the game, a new timer popped up that's an hour long, wtf

Same thing happened to me. I am pretty sure that was the system accidently sending the all clear message when we still had an hour to wait.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm mad!!!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Me too.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
cavia's finest troll yet :discourse:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can turn the rock on Xbox to new zealand and play this.

I played about a hour and a half. Never played no er 1, played about five hours of nier 2. My thoughts so far:

Man this game is boring and poo poo. Fetch quest and running back and forth to the same area over and over. Why do people like it? Seems like just any other fantasy game.

Oh here's that book!

the book talks! this rules now

I am starting to enjoy it more, I just hope the game is more than fetch quests, and I'm hoping some real weird stuff happens like how people talk about nier 2.

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

Empress Brosephine posted:

You can turn the rock on Xbox to new zealand and play this.

I played about a hour and a half. Never played no er 1, played about five hours of nier 2. My thoughts so far:

Man this game is boring and poo poo. Fetch quest and running back and forth to the same area over and over. Why do people like it? Seems like just any other fantasy game.

Oh here's that book!

the book talks! this rules now

I am starting to enjoy it more, I just hope the game is more than fetch quests, and I'm hoping some real weird stuff happens like how people talk about nier 2.

Absolutely not, please leave the Nier thread immediately

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It definitely feels like ocarina of time though which I guess is the joke

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
A reminder for people with 100% Completion brainworms: the first half of the game has 51% of the sidequests in it, not 50%. NG+ does not include the first half.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Also there's a sidequest that takes around 2 actual weeks to complete if you don't constantly gently caress with the system clock.

is a loving art form.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Also: forget 100%ing anything. Do not interact with your lovely garden
E:fb

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That sounds miserable

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
could you always parry with L2 in the original??

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
in other news, i was replaying Automata while waiting for this and did Ending E on my most recent save

I then sent that data off, not realizing it sends all of your data, including the other save files :suicide:

no its fine it's not like I'd kept one file specifically for 100%-ing

hahhaaaa god dammit, i can't even get mad. it's not like i won't inevitably play it again :shepface:

DrakePegasus posted:

Also: forget 100%ing anything. Do not interact with your lovely garden
E:fb
your lovely garden is solely for planting crops while you sleep, so that when you play it the next day you have enough money to break the economy

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Decided to call it a night after picking up Weiss. Enjoying how everything feels so far and looking forward to playing it some more.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

Also there's a sidequest that takes around 2 actual weeks to complete if you don't constantly gently caress with the system clock.

is a loving art form.

Gonna need a guide for that cause I might actually try to 100% the game.

I’m ready to give up easy though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

If they haven't changed the farming formulas in the re-release just to gently caress with people I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Played the intro, new combat feels pretty good. You can do this wacky shadow-step behind enemies by dodging towards them now which is cool.