Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

xtal posted:

I've come to an understanding with HGB and decided to take a break from posting in GBS on my own accord. May you remember me by the avatar. Good luck!

These were the days...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Stanley Pain posted:

so who's up for destroying their SSDs with chia?

I could destroy yours with a hammer. you can call the hammer chia if you want

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My brother let me know he got burned by dogecoin. I gave him all of the warnings why it was a terrible idea to put money into it, he ignored me, lost a bit of it, and his response was, "But if I put money in at the right time, I would have made a lot!" The oldest financial scam on earth and that's why people keep falling for it...

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hammerite posted:

I could destroy yours with a hammer. you can call the hammer chia if you want

:nice:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Valasquez posted:

These were the days...

It was a tolerance break

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
headline 6 days ago: Turkey Bans Cryptocurrency Payments, Says Risks Are Too Big

headline 1 day ago: Crypto Users Bicker After Turkish Exchange Abruptly Goes Silent

risks are too big, you say? the risk of someone perhaps pulling a classic exit scam?

e: the turkish law hadnt gone into effect yet

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit

Random Stranger posted:

My brother let me know he got burned by dogecoin. I gave him all of the warnings why it was a terrible idea to put money into it, he ignored me, lost a bit of it, and his response was, "But if I put money in at the right time, I would have made a lot!" The oldest financial scam on earth and that's why people keep falling for it...

Sounds like it's time to use a second mortgage to buy the dip

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Galewolf posted:

This will probably not make in the news anywhere else in the world but today CEO one of the Shitcoin/Crypto exchanges in Turkey bailed out to Thailand by stealing wallets of everyone. There are some numbers but it's been estimated at $2 billion worth of crypto got stolen.

The reason why that random exchange had that much money is Turkey was going through a massive economic collapse for the last two years and crypto became the only investment that wasn't taxed by the government (because they couldn't, not because they wouldn't). For perspective, 1 Turkish moonbucks = 0.12 dollars, 1 Dogecoin = 0.33 dollars.

I'm not sure if the 2 bil is correct but even conservative estimates are around hundreds of millions.

I didn't know bruce wagner was in Turkey!!!!!

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Number go down

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Random Stranger posted:

The best time to buy was 3 months ago. The second best time is RIGHT NOW

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qLgo75Lfhc&t=15s

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dear Watson posted:

The best time to buy was 3 months ago. The second best time is RIGHT NOW

The best time to sell was 8 days ago. The second best time is RIGHT NOW.

(Kinda proud of myself for getting out at the very peak.)

drk
Jan 16, 2005
With their stock decreasing massively in value every day since IPO, Coinbase decides now is time to allow Tether on the platform (except in New York, cuz the AG is on to them there):

https://www.coindesk.com/newly-public-coinbase-lists-tethers-controversial-usdt-for-pro-traders

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/22/reddit-trader-im-a-dogecoin-millionaire-inspired-by-elon-musk.html

CNBC posted:

Glauber Contessoto says that on April 15 at 6:00 p.m. PDT, he became a dogecoin millionaire.

“I was up all night staring at my screen,” Contessoto, 33, tells CNBC Make It.

After learning about the meme cryptocurrency on Reddit, Contessoto says he invested over $180,000 in dogecoin on Feb. 5, when it was priced at about 4.5 cents.

Contessoto was intrigued by dogecoin for a few reasons.

For one, he loved the Reddit community surrounding the digital coin, as its base had grown substantially since dogecoin’s creation as a joke in 2013. He also appreciated that it was inspired by the Shiba Inu “Doge” meme, he says.

And like many holders of dogecoin, “a reason why I put my savings into dogecoin is Elon Musk,” who has repeatedly tweeted about the cryptocurrency. Though it’s unclear if Musk’s tweets in support of the coin have been serious, “I think the guy is a genius,” Contessoto says.

[...]

Contessoto (who works at a music company in Los Angeles) says he didn’t have disposable income to buy dogecoin, so he took a huge risk. Contessoto not only used all his savings, but he also sold all the stock he owned, including shares of Tesla and Uber, and invested on margin by borrowing money from Robinhood via the app, he says.

The Saga continues:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dogecoin/comments/mwdbvt/from_18_million_back_down_to_1_million_still/

Matryoshka SexDoll fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 23, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

People really are just completely bored of living, aren't they.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

More like they've been rendered utterly incapable of envisioning a better way to live.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

"YOLO"

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Man Almost Becomes Millionaire After Investing $999,999 In Buttcoin

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
YOLO SWAG

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
sell it you dumbass!!!

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Life will be extremely unboring very quickly once you lose everything on a virtual currency

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

hbag posted:

is anyone else shorting doge right now or just me
just margin sold 229 DOGE at around 41 cents, gonna hold onto it until this whole thing inevitably falls through the floor

lol DOGE at 24 cents, how's this going for you?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Oh, this guy likes memes?

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

That dude is going to have a mental breakdown when dogecoin drops back down to a penny after the next buttcoin crash.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Stealthgerbil posted:

That dude is going to have a mental breakdown when dogecoin drops back down to a penny after the next buttcoin crash.

hbag is probed because they have fyad fingers, so we'll know in 3 days. But if they shorted DOGE that should be good right?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

salt shakeup posted:

lol DOGE at 24 cents, how's this going for you?
He's made $34.35 shorting so far, minus fees and commissions?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

https://twitter.com/EmilyStewartM/status/1385326818690052096

Inshallah

drk
Jan 16, 2005
this kills the bitcoin

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

He needs to roll it out as part of his plan to cut US carbon emissions by 50%.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

80% capital gains doesn’t matter if I never sell!

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOODL

please kill the buttcoin.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
80% capital gains "rumour" is obviously fake lol

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

A man can dream.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

He needs to roll it out as part of his plan to cut US carbon emissions by 50%.

this would be a great honeypot to reveal all the dumb succlibs that fair weather environmentalists that care more about bank account numbers than climate temp numbers.

e: also can a coin thats the opposite of the empty drives . completely filled drives be made?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

this would be a great honeypot to reveal all the dumb succlibs that fair weather environmentalists that care more about bank account numbers than climate temp numbers.

e: also can a coin thats the opposite of the empty drives . completely filled drives be made?

Seeing the unironic use of "succlibs" makes me think that C-SPAM is like crypto for brainworms.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Seeing the unironic use of "succlibs" makes me think that C-SPAM is like crypto for brainworms.

I presume it stands for "successful libs", so im not sure why they are dumb if they're doing so well

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
e: mean post

xtal fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 23, 2021

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

CaptainSarcastic posted:

TRUPM! is the new HODL

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Hodl is the new Hodl, it is fascinating to see the new generation of hodlidiots convince each other that they'll make it all back, someday. Random reddits or comment sections are full of them all using the same "DIAMOND HANDS FELLOW HODLERS, LIST 50 PERCENT BUT I DON'T CARE, WHO'S WITH ME??" phrases.

As dumb as crypto is, chances aren't even that bad that they will do it at some point, but these people are propably mostly over leveraged rubes who don't have the means to wait until 2, 3 years from now when the next run happens. And frankly I cherish watching them.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Son of Rodney posted:

Hodl is the new Hodl, it is fascinating to see the new generation of hodlidiots convince each other that they'll make it all back, someday. Random reddits or comment sections are full of them all using the same "DIAMOND HANDS FELLOW HODLERS, LIST 50 PERCENT BUT I DON'T CARE, WHO'S WITH ME??" phrases.

As dumb as crypto is, chances aren't even that bad that they will do it at some point, but these people are propably mostly over leveraged rubes who don't have the means to wait until 2, 3 years from now when the next run happens. And frankly I cherish watching them.

I've got a friend on FB (standup comic who is super-into motivational speakers and visualizing success and all that) who is posting his Venmo address and literally begging people to send him money so he can "buy the dip".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Also, it's great to see Dogecoin really just pull back the curtain on how absurd all crypto is, and causing the true believers to freak out. One of them recently shared this tweet...

https://twitter.com/CoinDesk/status/1385604125031817220?s=20