Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

in korea they have a fake DMZ too for things like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Has any goon here tried the Tomakomai -> Oarai 18 hour MOL ferry ride? https://www.sunflower.co.jp/en/

I am considering taking the Shinkansen up to Hokkaido, checking out Sapporo and Hakodate and then spending a chill time on a ferry ride back down south (or the other way around), just so I can experience something different from the standard Tokyo+Kyoto+Osaka foreigner's first visit. Assuming it's running whenever I can actually get over to Japan, of course.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bofast posted:

Has any goon here tried the Tomakomai -> Oarai 18 hour MOL ferry ride? https://www.sunflower.co.jp/en/

I am considering taking the Shinkansen up to Hokkaido, checking out Sapporo and Hakodate and then spending a chill time on a ferry ride back down south (or the other way around), just so I can experience something different from the standard Tokyo+Kyoto+Osaka foreigner's first visit. Assuming it's running whenever I can actually get over to Japan, of course.

calling that "Hokkaido to Tokyo" is a bit disingenuous when it returns back to Ibaraki, not gonna lie.

don't feel like you have to do something or not do something because it's popular -- judge it on your own basis. Keep in mind that Tokyo Haneda <-> Sapporo Shin Chitose is the most served air route in the country, with literally tens of flights per day. Getting a flight for $200 round trip or less is very doable, possibly even for ANA/JAL, but even if you get a cheaper flight it's just about 90 minutes. 18 hours might not be the longest ferry, but getting back to where it departs and then getting from Ibaraki back to civilization is going to add time on each end as well.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Depends on your opinion of cruises since it's basically a mini-cruise. It's a cool weekend thing to do if you're in Japan for a long period of time but as someone visiting with limited time it might not be the best use of time in Japan. On the other hand if you're the type that enjoys cruises and are just using it to recharge from your Hokkaido trip then I'm sure it'll be fine.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bofast posted:

I've taken the ferry to Hokkaido, not that route but it was Maizuru to Otaru and a bit longer, close to 24 hours. It was fun, would do again. It's up to you whether it's a good use of your travel time. It's definitely very chill.

I just would suggest springing for something that's not that huge room with everyone lying next to each other (listed as the "Tourist" cabin). I did that, and then I found when I got there that almost all of the people who use those rooms are men, and I spent the night sandwiched between 2 elderly gentlemen just inches away so I could smell their breathe all night (no curtains on the one I took). It would have been worth paying more to avoid that.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Bofast posted:

hakodate is p boring imo. there's a mountain and not a lot else. the big draw for japanese people is all the western architecture I guess?

imo get to Sapporo asap cuz theres infinitely more cool poo poo around there than Hakodate.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

calling that "Hokkaido to Tokyo" is a bit disingenuous when it returns back to Ibaraki, not gonna lie.

don't feel like you have to do something or not do something because it's popular -- judge it on your own basis. Keep in mind that Tokyo Haneda <-> Sapporo Shin Chitose is the most served air route in the country, with literally tens of flights per day. Getting a flight for $200 round trip or less is very doable, possibly even for ANA/JAL, but even if you get a cheaper flight it's just about 90 minutes. 18 hours might not be the longest ferry, but getting back to where it departs and then getting from Ibaraki back to civilization is going to add time on each end as well.

True, it's not exactly straight to the Tokyo area. I would probably stay the night in Mito, see Kairakuen garden or something and then hop on a train down to Tokyo.
I don't know if I can be bothered to fly more than I have to after the flight into Japan is going to take me 11 or so hours and half the travel time of the ferry I would probably be asleep anyway, but it's good to keep in mind as an option.

LyonsLions posted:

I've taken the ferry to Hokkaido, not that route but it was Maizuru to Otaru and a bit longer, close to 24 hours. It was fun, would do again. It's up to you whether it's a good use of your travel time. It's definitely very chill.

I just would suggest springing for something that's not that huge room with everyone lying next to each other (listed as the "Tourist" cabin). I did that, and then I found when I got there that almost all of the people who use those rooms are men, and I spent the night sandwiched between 2 elderly gentlemen just inches away so I could smell their breathe all night (no curtains on the one I took). It would have been worth paying more to avoid that.

Zettace posted:

Depends on your opinion of cruises since it's basically a mini-cruise. It's a cool weekend thing to do if you're in Japan for a long period of time but as someone visiting with limited time it might not be the best use of time in Japan. On the other hand if you're the type that enjoys cruises and are just using it to recharge from your Hokkaido trip then I'm sure it'll be fine.

I did a 40 hour cruise Sweden -> Finland -> Sweden a few years back to test if I would get seasick or not and that was pretty enjoyable apart from the rather tiny bathroom (which looks to be better in some of these ferry rooms).
I would pay to have my own cabin, yeah. No interest in sleeping among a dozen random strangers.
I would probably go for 2-3 weeks, so time isn't that big of an issue.

Magna Kaser posted:

hakodate is p boring imo. there's a mountain and not a lot else. the big draw for japanese people is all the western architecture I guess?

imo get to Sapporo asap cuz theres infinitely more cool poo poo around there than Hakodate.

Good advice, thanks :)

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
This might be an odd one, but I'm very interested in one of the geisha/maiko makeover experiences that I've seen a few videos of. Any recommended places to go to?
I know Gion Aya will not do males or male presenting people.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Never done it myself but google yields some places. Sounds like it's not super uncommon. Hopefully someone can make a specific recommendation though.
https://yumekoubou.info/plan/mensmaiko/
https://www.jidaiisho-okamura.com/faq
https://www.jalan.net/kankou/spt_guide000000188142/activity/l000012635/
https://oiran.kyoto/info/580/

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Just got a job offer and will be moving to Saitama-ken in September. I haven't even been to Japan in six years and my Japanese is rusty as hell but let's go!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

paperwind posted:

Just got a job offer and will be moving to Saitama-ken in September. I haven't even been to Japan in six years and my Japanese is rusty as hell but let's go!

Congratulations! Which side of the “Trying to claim ほぼ東京 / gently caress you we’re proud to be farmers” Saitama line is it in?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

harperdc posted:

Congratulations! Which side of the “Trying to claim ほぼ東京 / gently caress you we’re proud to be farmers” Saitama line is it in?

I don't know exactly where the line is but probably more of the former than the latter. There are rice fields visible on the satellite view, so I guess that makes it inaka regardless lol.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Rice is nice, learn to love it!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ya love to eat it, folks!!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

harperdc posted:

Urawa is better than anywhere in Tokyo, change my mind.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
it's crowded enough as it is. more ppl need to move to urawa imo.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

Urawa is better than anywhere in Tokyo, change my mind.

Define by what metrics it's "better," certainly not in J-League terms this year.

also god I can't imagine going from Saitama to either Narita or Haneda.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

As cool as it is to gently caress around in the city, for actual day-to-day living, I’d vastly prefer the inaka as long as I could still hit up doctors, grocery stores, and drive to see friends.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Suburban inaka is really good if you have a variety of restaurants

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

As cool as it is to gently caress around in the city, for actual day-to-day living, I’d vastly prefer the inaka as long as I could still hit up doctors, grocery stores, and drive to see friends.

I lived in a tiny town (roughly 10,000 people) on JET and there was a doctor, dentist, grocery store, town hall, and a couple convenience stores in walking distance. but yeah, the train came twice an hour. your rent goes a whole lot farther once you're into the inaka, too.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

peanut posted:

Suburban inaka is really good if you have a variety of restaurants

oh yeah we got both kinds, we got udon and soba

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sunaba in your hood was normal good, I hope they're still open.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Tokyo is alright but sleeper towns loving rule

Living in Fujisawa Honmachi was extremely my poo poo

Not sure about Saitama though :catstare:

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
For what it's worth, I got so sick of the inaka after years of it that I ended up getting a better job just to get myself out.

You have to be the right kind of person for it, I guess.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
7 years in the inaka for me. In my 20s I wanted to escape but now I have as kid and 401k so I'm good staying out here as long as possible.
Honestly the only thing I really miss is live music. Otherwise there is good food, good coffee, and takkyubin service.
E: I should say my inaka has been tony sleeper towns outside Kyushu cities. When I hear people call Saitama inaka I'm like lol.
I like where I'm at now but as long as I had good Internet and utilities I think I'd enjoy living somewhere super rural.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 24, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don’t know how to be discrete about asking this so I’ll just ask it.

I know some onsen have rules against tattoos. Is there any kind of taboo about intimate body piercings? I don’t mind getting stares but I’d hate to get kicked out of somewhere for it. Yes I can remove all the metal but I’d rather not have to worry about it if it’s not necessary.

I’ve been holding off on tattoos until I’ve done a few more trips specifically because I don’t want to have to search for something that will accommodate me; I’d rather just have my pick of anything that’s open.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There are sites directed towards tourists for tattoo friendly onsen. Could also go the private/family route.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Ahaha, the logistics of moving to Japan during a pandemic are is starting to dawn on me. I also wanna bring my cat. Should be easier since I'm coming from Hawaii, but I don't even know yet if I'll have pet-friendly housing yet.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

paperwind posted:

Ahaha, the logistics of moving to Japan during a pandemic are is starting to dawn on me. I also wanna bring my cat. Should be easier since I'm coming from Hawaii, but I don't even know yet if I'll have pet-friendly housing yet.

I know people who did this and I think they said it took many months, maybe up to a year? for the process of bringing a cat into Japan.
(or it could have been 1 month, I dunno, it was 10 years ago)

I guess Hawaii is special, yay.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 25, 2021

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i brought cats over from the us and there's a long quarantine for rabies, but that might not apply for hawaii

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I don’t know how to be discrete about asking this so I’ll just ask it.

I know some onsen have rules against tattoos. Is there any kind of taboo about intimate body piercings? I don’t mind getting stares but I’d hate to get kicked out of somewhere for it. Yes I can remove all the metal but I’d rather not have to worry about it if it’s not necessary.

I’ve been holding off on tattoos until I’ve done a few more trips specifically because I don’t want to have to search for something that will accommodate me; I’d rather just have my pick of anything that’s open.

I'm not sure you'd get explicitly kicked out, or get more stares than normal (gaijin in the onsen tends to be the big reason moreso than "gaijin with tattoos" or "gaijin with piercings") but I would probably recommend looking for places that are tattoo-friendly. Some lists are cropping up of locations that are tattoo-friendly, and this site (Tattoo-friendly dot jp) looks pretty good. support businesses that are trying to get that business, so to speak.

I mean, this is still the place where some people think "don't eat with foreigners" is a way to stop the spread of COVID :v:

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Martytoof posted:

I've never seen rules about body piercings at onsens.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LyonsLions posted:

I've never seen rules about body piercings at onsens.

Maybe he gets to be the guy who inspires Japan's next wacky sign! :v:

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

paperwind posted:

Hi, I did this at the end of last year during the narrow window where Japan was still letting new residents in, minus bringing any pets. I think you have plenty of time to look into the cat situation because at the moment you'll probably be lucky if you can get in this fall. Ever since variants started popping up everywhere Japan has been very reluctant to let anyone in that isn't already a resident.

Getting in is the biggest battle but after that it's doable, the first month or so getting your new life setup is just a slightly bigger pain than it would've been during a normal year, basically. Banks and offices have reduced hours. I didn't particularly enjoy trying to find an apartment during a pandemic but once you get a place you can get lots of stuff shipped to your door easily.

Midjack posted:

Maybe he gets to be the guy who inspires Japan's next wacky sign! :v:

This, I doubt most places have encountered it or thought about it.

skull wall fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 25, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All good points. Never considered supporting places just because they are trying to buck the tattoo tend but it makes sense. I’ll plan accordingly, thanks!

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

paperwind posted:

For the cat, you're fortunate that Hawaii is indeed one of the easy regions. Also this is one place where there's actually pretty thorough online documentation, and in English too.

https://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/dog/index.html

Japanese too; probably good to know what the Japanese copies of the forms etc look like.
https://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/animal/dog/import-free.html

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Can't wait for Prince Albert-kun posters at the onsen.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Just put everything in your Balldo and you'll be fine

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I think you'd be able to get away with it at pretty much any onsen since you'll have the little modesty hand towel to cover up with when walking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
hey goons,

my partner and I (two vaccinated Americans) want to start planning a trip to Japan (we were thinking a three week, mid December into January kind of thing), but I don't have a sense if this is/will be possible considering COVID stuff; does anyone have an insight into if this is a good/responsible idea? not tryna make anyone uncomfortable, and I know that rates have been up recently