Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

After putting it off for ages I finally sat down and read through c0da...I seriously have no idea what on earth I just read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

What's the deal with the tes cs dirtying everything it touches?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

kazr posted:

What's the deal with the tes cs dirtying everything it touches?

Any time you open a cell or double click a record it flags the item as being modified regardless of whether you changed anything. The data contained from that varies from item to item but results in "identical to master" or ITM records, ie, you have the base records from morrowind.esm now in your file.

The winning record goes off of load order so if a mod changes an iron sword to weigh 50 but someone has a dirty esp with that record (and loads second) the change is reverted to base morrowind.esm.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
lmao at anyone buying bound weapons when you can just glitch yourself permanent ones

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Just an observation, regarding "generic magic weapons" in Morrowind:

A mundane Steel Long Bow has a value of 50.

A Steel Long Bow that can cast Bound Long Bow for 60 seconds and a 1-10 point Lighting Shield for 10 seconds has a value of 265.

A Steel Long Bow that can only cast Bound Long Bow for 60 seconds has a value of 11000.

I have no idea if that third value is perhaps fixed in some sort of patch already (surely it's a mistake), I'm just viewing it both at uesp.net and my CS; anyway I'm changing them both to 175.

It's meant to be a fake daedric weapon, hence the costs.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
These are the ones that the khajit trader sells in Balmora, right? I actually love that guy and his scheme; maybe I'll set it to a value of 300, considerably overpriced but not so high that items are basically a joke you'll never, ever buy.

FWIW I actually think the idea of a cheap iron weapon enchanted with a bond spell is quite useful, especially at lower levels.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bound weapons are the same power as daedric why would you make them cheap

If anything the bound spells need to be nerfed or the weapons and spells made more expensive

Bound battleaxe is the second most damaging weapon in the game behind sunder

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

If anything the bound spells need to be nerfed or the weapons and spells made more expensive

That's why I made them cheap, because it's a cheap spell anyone can cast at level one. But yeah, it IS very powerful. I imagine adjusting the magicka cost, and cast chance, and duration all is easy enough. Enough for a swing of two?

Edit: I probably only beat Boss Crito in MDMD because I summoned a bound long sword. I would have liked it fine if it lasted long enough for a swing or two, it one shot his skeletons.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

I imagine adjusting the magicka cost, and cast chance, and duration all is easy enough. Enough for a swing of two?

Yes but dont fall for the trap of trying to recursively balance everything lest you end up as morrowind rebirth

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What's the go to mod list for vanilla+ max grade in 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Yes but dont fall for the trap of trying to recursively balance everything lest you end up as morrowind rebirth

I definitely don't want to do it all under one mod, and I don't want to start one until another is finished.

I'm also concerned that, if the duration was drastically decreased, it would make AI repeatedly summon now very short (and now very costly) bound weapons while they're still very far away, like Snow Granius and his bound spear.

If I follow the plan said I'd start with, which was to judge the generic magic item based on the strength of their enchantments as I saw them (not, for example, based on how much it cost to enchant them), then you're right that bound weapons should cost a lot.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Gyshall posted:

What's the go to mod list for vanilla+ max grade in 2021

https://github.com/Sigourn/morrowind-improved

This guide is pretty good.

I will note however that it recommends downloading and using a shader called "SpecialProcess" in leu of the default shaders that come with MGEXE and tbh I don't think it looks very good and it's performance heavy so you may want to pass on that one and use the regular bloom, ssao, and godray (if thats your thing) shaders. They got comparison images so you can judge for yourself, this is just my preference.

e: comparison of "SpecialProcess" vs no shaders.

https://imgsli.com/NDg3MDk
https://imgsli.com/NDg3MTA

ee: here's the default "bloom soft" shader and ssao shader i'm using:

my lighting coefficients are:
quadratic: 1.7
linear: 0.9

i spent way too much time fine tuning those lol

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 22, 2021

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

I definitely don't want to do it all under one mod, and I don't want to start one until another is finished.

I'm also concerned that, if the duration was drastically decreased, it would make AI repeatedly summon now very short (and now very costly) bound weapons while they're still very far away, like Snow Granius and his bound spear.

If I follow the plan said I'd start with, which was to judge the generic magic item based on the strength of their enchantments as I saw them (not, for example, based on how much it cost to enchant them), then you're right that bound weapons should cost a lot.

Mwse mod that changes duration and strength to scale off of conjuration. Doesnt exist but could

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Mwse mod that changes duration and strength to scale off of conjuration. Doesnt exist but could

There's totally a mod that makes your bound weapons' strength track to your Conjuration skill, if not duration. I stopped using it because I was having weird crash issues at the time, I think, but it's morrowind, when do you NOT have weird crash issues

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48563

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is there a mod that makes smacking something with a bound weapon level up conjuration instead of whatever weapon it is?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Morrowind is broken as hell six ways til Sunday and the combat is lame on a good day. Just embrace it, its what Morrowind is, and Morrwind is Good.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Morrowind is broken as hell six ways til Sunday and the combat is lame on a good day. Just embrace it, its what Morrowind is, and Morrwind is Good.

melee combat is lame, i agree. magic combat can be some baldurs gate levels of preparation with the right mods. and some day with my stealth pack playing a thief character won't be such a joke either

beta release
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/833164314181238824/833164335031255090/stealth_0_1.zip

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

melee combat is lame, i agree. magic combat can be some baldurs gate levels of preparation with the right mods. and some day with my stealth pack playing a thief character won't be such a joke either

beta release
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/833164314181238824/833164335031255090/stealth_0_1.zip

Stealth characters loving rock in base game as long as you get that 80% chameleon amulet asap.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Stealth characters loving rock in base game as long as you get that 80% chameleon amulet asap.

yeah but thats dumb as hell and still doesnt work a lot

base morrowind stealth is real dumb because it only checks every 5 seconds and rolls a random number 1-100 and subtracts the modifiers. so even if you have great/terrible sneak you can get into stealth for a few seconds or break stealth for a few seconds randomly. even with that amulet

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This time playing through I realized how much better mages are at being thieves. Who needs to jump high when you can just fly? Who needs stealth when you can just cast telekinesis and steal poo poo right from under their noses? Who needs lockpicks when you can just unlock a door? My acrobatics is still my highest skill because I've never broken my habit of just jumping everywhere though

Something that does seem broken to me though is how it's clear that they expect you to use fatigue restoring items to help with fatigue but unless your alchemy is decent you wont' get any effect from eating 10 pieces of bread unless you're lucky. So alchemy is basically a mandatory skill in the game vanilla

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
You can buy potions / get them for free from Fighter's Guild chests / enchant restore fatigue effects on equipment. I rarely play with alchemy.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Never even played with Alchemy in my first game, as a melee heavy character. Shops and the fighter's guild kept me going.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Never even played with Alchemy in my first game, as a melee heavy character. Shops and the fighter's guild kept me going.

It is funny how often we talk about alchemy or magic breaking the game in half but you can always just stab poo poo to death and beat the game pretty easily.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Sometimes I play Morrowind.

But mostly, I just enjoy staring at the morrowind skills and writing up different classes. https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Skills
and then i'll meander around the uesp reading obscure places in morrowind and minor, weird quests.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Skwirl posted:

It is funny how often we talk about alchemy or magic breaking the game in half but you can always just stab poo poo to death and beat the game pretty easily.

Yeah. I just went with their standard Barbarian class it gave me from the personality test. Seemed reasonable.

Didn't mess around with Alchemy or Enchanting. Used only a handful of utility spells that my idiot character could handle. I still loved every minute of it. I'd carry a collection of magic items I found in my travels for things like water walk or levitation, as well as a variety of combat buffs. I'd deliberately hunt for high value contraband just so I could sell it to keep potions and scrolls flowing. It was actually a nice change, because I don't bother with consumables or mercantile efforts in other games, because it's generally not worth the hassle.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Has anyone really gone hard core on Enchantment and not just used merchants for it?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Yeah the character backgrounds mod makes it cool. 50 bonus to enchanting but cant cast spells, so you get real good at making a swiss army knife of enchanted items

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah the character backgrounds mod makes it cool. 50 bonus to enchanting but cant cast spells, so you get real good at making a swiss army knife of enchanted items

What's your total enchanting skill when you can start doing that poo poo, not like completely broken poo poo, but able to make sure you have mark, recall, divine and almsivi intervention at use items? I'm doing a kinda paladin run, heavy armor, sword, block and restoration skills but that and water breathing and water walking are the stumbling blocks.

First time going house Redoran, I'm being prepared to be underwhelmed.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

People who have used Beware the Sixth House: Is this mod supposed to make Dagoth Ur summon a huge number of Daedra? Like twenty or thirty total Daedra. The mod description makes no mention of it, but I don't think I have another mod that could be doing it. I beat the fight, but it was buggy and I to reload several times at the Heart because the number of summons was causing freezes.

Edit: Specifically a bunch of Flame and Storm Atronachs

Edit 2: The description does mention it, it looks like it's Dagoth Endus' power, which Dagoth Ur also has. "Wrath of Endus - Summon Flame Atronach for 90s on Self, Summon Storm Atronach for 90s on Self, Disintegrate Armor 10-20 pts for 3s on Target, Disintegrate Weapon 20-30 pts for 3s on Target." I'm guessing the fact that it summons about ten of each simultaneously is a bug.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 23, 2021

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Skwirl posted:

First time going house Redoran, I'm being prepared to be underwhelmed.

redoran is lame as h*ck, i've done hlaalu like 4 or 5 times and telvanni prolly a dozen, but redoran i never revisited after my one playthrough. they're the great house equivalent of the imperial legion except without the extremely good artifacts at the end.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I've completed just about all the quests there are in Morrowind but I've never gone through House Redoran

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
They have by far the most stylish bonemold design. Redoran 4 life.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Necronormiecon posted:

They have by far the most stylish bonemold design. Redoran 4 life.

this is a really messed up way to spell telvanni but ok

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I did house Redoran on my first full playthrough since I was a Orc Barbarian and they seemed the most fitting. I don't really remember anything about it other than going to see Neminda a bunch and that one mission protecting the manor from assassins.

I think the stronghold quest bugged out but I don't quite remember. At least I don't remember having it since I eventually made my home in a barrow in Solstheim.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 23, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm a straightforward player without any deep knowledge of game breaking strategies; my only two completed playthroughs were unmodded and involved questionnaire classes, both melee focused.

I made what feels like a powerful character for this rebalance play through, a Breton born under the sign of the Mage with Long Blade, Block, Heavy Armor, and most schools of magic. It's going well so far, I'm level 5, have done the first two Blades quests, and just bought an "Icicle" frost sword using my rebalance prices. I did end up changing Bound duration to 5 for weapons and 20 for armor and shields.

My normal combat strategy is to shield and heal myself through difficult fights, and I carry Fighters Guild potions and have a summon skeleton spell and Dragonskin if I think it's going to be particularly tough. Also, I'm filling the Mages guild armoire with high end potions and scrolls in anticipation of the end game.

I'll be heading off to the Mainland and Solstheim for the first time ever this weekend, since the Rebalance suggests you can start them at 5 and Cauis just said I should take a break before the next mission.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Necronormiecon posted:

Redoran 4 life.

:hai:

I've never done Hlaalu, mostly because I always look for any excuse to get out of Balmora. I mean I love that place for sure but it's so easy to default to it that I always feel like I need to actively fight to get out.

Conversely, I cannot resist the Call of the Crab. Big respect to Telvanni mushrooms, but Ald'ruhn is where it's at.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I did Hlaalu first play through because they're ostensibly pro-imperial and wtf did I know. Now I'm doing Redoran because, hey, I like being a courageous warrior that helps people :shrug:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Hlaalu is the be gay, do crimes house

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I always find it amusing that Hlaalu is a front for the Camonna Tong and their whole pro-imperial thing is basically just PR. and you don't really find out until you're already in too deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

FreudianSlippers posted:

I always find it amusing that Hlaalu is a front for the Camonna Tong and their whole pro-imperial thing is basically just PR. and you don't really find out until you're already in too deep.

Other way around, the Camonna Tong being anti-Imperial is the front. They have extremely strong business ties to the Empire and hide them through the intermediary of House Hlaalu.