Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Ugleb posted:

That......is alot of blue boobs. I'm kind of impressed by the dedication that must have gone into shading so much light blue.

Or, I really feel for the guy who took the commission then saw what he was painting. I dunno, feels like there is a story behind that.

In other news, someone else is showing commitment to theme....

Someone has a huge, sad crush.
I mean, the character was awsome, but Hollywood fails to remind us that the character is not the actor. I often feel for the guys who play really good viilans - Imagine being a face everyone wants to punch, but a really nice guy in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Someone has a huge, sad crush.
I mean, the character was awsome, but Hollywood fails to remind us that the character is not the actor. I often feel for the guys who play really good viilans - Imagine being a face everyone wants to punch, but a really nice guy in person.

That was supposedly a problem for the lady who played the senator's wife in the early seasons of 24; the character is a coldly calculating snake but the actor is a super nice lady.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Midjack posted:

That was supposedly a problem for the lady who played the senator's wife in the early seasons of 24; the character is a coldly calculating snake but the actor is a super nice lady.

The guy who played Joffery had to retire (to concentrate on his schooling, but who knows.)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
William Atherton (who played the prime jerk in Ghostbusters, Die Hard 1&2, and Real Genius) supposedly got some static IRL because he was such a convincing on-screen rear end in a top hat (above and beyond people constantly calling him "dickless").

Carrie Fisher had real trouble summoning up enough anger in her scenes with Peter "Grand Moff Tarkin" Cushing in Star Wars because he was such a sweet, charming old man when the cameras weren't rolling.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

FMguru posted:

Carrie Fisher had real trouble summoning up enough anger in her scenes with Peter "Grand Moff Tarkin" Cushing in Star Wars because he was such a sweet, charming old man when the cameras weren't rolling.
That's called acting, and no she wasn't good at it

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

But why are all the objective marker ladies stomped flat?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
The guy who plays the new Captain America in Falcon and The Winter Soldier has been getting tons of harassment. Apparently a lot of people not only can’t separate the actor from his character but also can’t understand that his character is supposed to be a bad guy.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Silhouette posted:

That's The Deceiver, a 3rd edition 40k Necron C'tan special character

drat, I remember how cool that was when it came out...

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Floppychop posted:

nsfw, but maybe technically not since it barely resembles a human

It's like some medieval art before they invented perspective.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

FMguru posted:

Have a video of Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee being sweet and charming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T2WrnFzepw

Two iconic movie villains being absolutely adorable :3:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Floppychop posted:

nsfw, but maybe technically not since it barely resembles a human

this guy spectacularly misunderstood the term "sideboob"

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Desfore posted:

Ok, I know she was kicked off the show for being trans-phobic/homophobic, but this American flag, Eagle flying, unbridled patriotism is going beyond the normal "Own the libs" poo poo into actual fetishism. This doesn't even seem to be for SWLegion game pieces, it's just weirdo fan idols of her.

I'm no expert on this, but I don't think the actress in question is even known for saying anything particularly patriotic/nationalistic? It's just a weird alignment in the modern culture wars. Like if you've got an issue with trans people, you are assumed to feel very strongly about loving America, and if you're chill and not really any kind of -phobe, it's assumed that overt patriotism makes you uncomfortable?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

I'm no expert on this, but I don't think the actress in question is even known for saying anything particularly patriotic/nationalistic? It's just a weird alignment in the modern culture wars. Like if you've got an issue with trans people, you are assumed to feel very strongly about loving America, and if you're chill and not really any kind of -phobe, it's assumed that overt patriotism makes you uncomfortable?

she's full on MAGA

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I haven't gone far down the rabbit hole and don't want to derail the thread too far from terrible minis, but from what I've seen she was very much:

* Full on MAGA die hard pushing the election fraud party line.

* Anti-mask and I think anti-vaxxer.

* Tweeted that "being a Republican today is as bad as being a Jew during the Holocaust".

That last one was when Disney cut ties. While I consider all three to be a load of crap, the last one is just in bad taste and Disney are quite justified for wanted no association with it.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Oh, I get all that and I'm sure she is fully on board with all sorts of nonsense. But it's still odd that the american flag and all these eagles and such are taken as symbols of that. I mean, they're also technically the symbols of all the other people in the country who don't share those views.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's just bog standard "No True Scotsman" fallacy.

Conservatives claim to love this country, ergo "patriotism" (Jingoism) is a conservative virtue and all symbols of patriotism are conservative symbols.

If you're not a conservative and claim to love your country you're lying because you're not a conservative. If you're a conservative and you don't go all in on the jingoism then you're also not a conservative, because All True Conservatives Love the Flag.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

FMguru posted:

He also painted toy soldiers (looks like Napoleonics)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Bucnasti posted:

The guy who plays the new Captain America in Falcon and The Winter Soldier has been getting tons of harassment. Apparently a lot of people not only can’t separate the actor from his character but also can’t understand that his character is supposed to be a bad guy.

Wtf people are god drat idiots

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

At the time, when you said "hobby wargames," you meant Napoleonics and nothing else.

Moola posted:

Wtf people are god drat idiots

I think you already know the answer to this.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Genghis Cohen posted:

Oh, I get all that and I'm sure she is fully on board with all sorts of nonsense. But it's still odd that the american flag and all these eagles and such are taken as symbols of that. I mean, they're also technically the symbols of all the other people in the country who don't share those views.

I think it's more a case of adopting Gina Carano as as a symbol of far right freedom of speech and incorporating her into the rest of it.

Here in the UK our right wing government is very, very enthusiastic about flags these days.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Madurai posted:

At the time, when you said "hobby wargames," you meant Napoleonics and nothing else.

Could also have been one of the teenage girls who were so good at naval wargames they embarrassed Admirals and kept the Atlantic safe.

Edit: oh, only some were teens. https://paxsims.wordpress.com/2016/12/08/the-wargaming-wrens-of-the-western-approaches-tactical-unit/amp/

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 23, 2021

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I'm starting to think that 40k players secretly wish that they were Legion players.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

"Hello there!"

"Primarch Guilliman."

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Winklebottom posted:

"Hello there!"

"Primarch Guilliman."

*Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

this owns

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

More here.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Owns so much. That is some dedication to the craft and an amazing talent.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
https://twitter.com/Sughammer/status/1386717668754010115?s=19

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Holy poo poo that's rad.
I saw thumbnails of these on facebook and thought they looked kinda cool, but seeing the cross hatching in the full size images takes it to a new level.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

lol that's gaga in a good way.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/muddybrushpainting/?hl=en

I don't know where this falls under the bad taste category.

The dude is white as hell from his picture but like, who knows what his background is.

So while I'm not entirely sure it's cultural appropriation, it sure feels like cultural appropriation.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

AndyElusive posted:

https://www.instagram.com/muddybrushpainting/?hl=en

I don't know where this falls under the bad taste category.

The dude is white as hell from his picture but like, who knows what his background is.

So while I'm not entirely sure it's cultural appropriation, it sure feels like cultural appropriation.

honestly I like the aesthetic he's going for, it definitely looks cool as hell, but the red skin is in bad taste. I can see that it's supposed to be paint, but it still is a bit sus.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
what's the feeling of not liking the idea of a white guy treating my culture as a ~cool aesthetic~ but the execution is so good I feel like giving it a pass.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

what's the feeling of not liking the idea of a white guy treating my culture as a ~cool aesthetic~ but the execution is so good I feel like giving it a pass.

There's a thin line between appropriation and doing something with respect because you enjoy the history of the culture. It usually depends on the people viewing and the delivery of the thing.

poo poo like the "Washington Redskins" is certainly not respect. And those models I can't quite decide, but the redface is tipping it heavily against the artist.

edit: this is spoken as an American with Scandinavian ancestry. If I did anything regarding the aesthetics of my heritage it would probably be taken as neo-nazi bullshit. So I'm not touching that with a 10ft pole.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 26, 2021

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Northeast Philly is canonically part of the Tau empire

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

I don't understand why you'd throw a Dom head together with the streetwear look, but now I really want to see a Gundam themed Tau army.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I can only assume injections of sunflower oil were involved.