Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm always amused by how they'll go to extreme violence but even mild nudity would be a big no no.

:911:

e: wow that was a terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheeee posted:

:911:

e: wow that was a terrible snipe

I wanna see some Omniman swingin dong. BTW something I did notice is they gave Eve shorts rather than a bikini bottom.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

also noticed during close-ups that her symbol isn't a crossed-out female symbol but it is actually electrons orbiting, I guess it's cheaper to make it look crossed out from further away but was cool to see it close up

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Watch the new episode y'all. Goddam, I guess these two episodes are where the animation budget went.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ep7: Boy, that escalated quickly.

So Nolan says he needed the uniform to take care of Darkblood but that still doesn't explain poo poo. He definitely hosed up by not chucking it into space.

Okay Amber sucks.

Well I guess we know what Robot's deal is. :rip: old prune body. Hello Rexplodebot. lol the reason for picking Rex.

I can't wait for the finale next week.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Episode 7 spoilers: They did a better job than I was expecting tying the threads together and putting people in the right places. This is probably the episode that was changed the most from the comic, and all the changes were good imo. The costume stuff was kinda dumb but it gave Deb a more active role in the story and having her actually in the command center instead of watching on TV was good. All the new omni-man contingency plans were also a great addition. Overall it was pretty much all I would have asked for in adapting that part of the story and I can't wait to see how they handle the next bit

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Show good

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Yeah that was pretty cool! One thing I couldn't quite make sense of, in the scene where The Immortal is being revived it shows Lincoln's assassination, it's implied that he was Lincoln and not John Wilkes Booth right?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Hirsute posted:

Yeah that was pretty cool! One thing I couldn't quite make sense of, in the scene where The Immortal is being revived it shows Lincoln's assassination, it's implied that he was Lincoln and not John Wilkes Booth right?

Yep, the Immortal was Lincoln

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Hooooooooooly poo poo that was some good television! Holy poo poo. Great episode.

Robot may be my favorite character now. I love that they went full SOMA and he had to kill off his former self. That's so awesome. Mark telling the girl but still getting dumped is a good end to that plot arc, better than if she just suddenly threw herself at him. That end encounter was super well done and had me on the edge of my seat for a whole while. The cliffhanger ending is killing me though. Need next episode NOW!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wheeee posted:

. in the first couple episodes of invincible we see omni man get beat up and injured by some scrub justice league knockoffs in the process of killing them and also genocide an entire technologically advanced planet almost instantly, there's an incongruence there but the details don't matter because either way he still fills the role of most powerful dude

Omniman let himself get beaten up by the members of Global Whatever because he needed to be injured to create the narrative that they were all attacked by someone else.

I don't doubt he could have killed them all without effort. Hell, he probably wasn't even that badly hurt.

Maybe he spent his entire time in hospital just pretending to be unconscious.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Omniman let himself get beaten up by the members of Global Whatever because he needed to be injured to create the narrative that they were all attacked by someone else.

I don't doubt he could have killed them all without effort. Hell, he probably wasn't even that badly hurt.

Maybe he spent his entire time in hospital just pretending to be unconscious.

I disagree. We see in the latest episode It took him effort just to defeat the cyborgs that fought with Mark previously.

It wasn't that he could defeat them without effort; its that he knew they couldn't kill him. They seem to have a Saiyan level ability to only get stronger when beaten and are practically invincible. That's how he's so confident Mark can be put in danger, and the same applies to himself.

I think if he could have just made them all evaporate he would have done so, getting hurt and leaving clues wasn't quite according to plan, (Debbie finding out definitely isn't according to plan) but the guardians were a reasonable challenge for him to fight all at once. One on one he'd definitely have them all, but as a group it becomes tougher.

I think he was legit hurt, but knew he couldn't die and was confident he'd beat them.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Hooooooooooly poo poo that was some good television! Holy poo poo. Great episode.

Robot may be my favorite character now. I love that they went full SOMA and he had to kill off his former self. That's so awesome. Mark telling the girl but still getting dumped is a good end to that plot arc, better than if she just suddenly threw herself at him. That end encounter was super well done and had me on the edge of my seat for a whole while. The cliffhanger ending is killing me though. Need next episode NOW!

I hate the Amber storyline honestly I know it's a high school relationship, but even in the flow of the show it feels like filler. Her [i[reaction[/i] is fine, but it should be over being duped; her knowing and getting mad he went to cape when a cyborg was destroying the campus is literally insane considering how soon he comes clean right after that. What in the gently caress did she expect? Him to just call the cops while his friend was killed? Why even tentatively get back with him in the first place when he hasn't come clean, if you're that angry and think he doesn't want to come forward. Seems like they wanted to fully subvert a trope and didn't think it through.

Way more interesting is the Debbie/Omni-Man/Mark poo poo. Just perfectly done; hope Immortal Abe Lincoln comes back

twistedmentat posted:

I wanna see some Omniman swingin dong. BTW something I did notice is they gave Eve shorts rather than a bikini bottom.

It actually ruins the Dr Seismic joke about Eve's outfit

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 23, 2021

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

NutritiousSnack posted:

Why more interesting is the Debbie/Omni-Man/Mark poo poo. Just perfectly done; hope Immortal Abe Lincoln comes back [/spoiler]

That one second shot of Abe Lincoln and John Wilkes Booth was incredible, and one of the reasons I really like this show so far. They often make hints at these deep and rich superhero backstories that you know could have a great story behind them, but instead they just let you fill in the blanks. A world where Abraham Lincoln is some sort of immortal Gaelic Highlander who goes on to be a modern day superhero is so delightful, and even better that that’s all they give you.

No way we don’t see more of Immortal, for eponymous reasons I’m sure.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

I hate the Amber storyline honestly I know it's a high school relationship, but even in the flow of the show it feels like filler. Her [i[reaction[/i] is fine, but it should be over being duped; her knowing and getting made he went to cape when a cyborg was destroying the campus is literally insane considering how soon he comes clean right after that. What in the gently caress did she suspect? Him to just call the cops while his friend was killed? Why even tenatively get back with him in the first place when he hasn't come clean if you're that angry. Seems like they wanted to fully subvert a trope and didn't think it through.

So the thread has tried to make a point out of it before, but this episode made it clear they've been dating for 5 months. There are significant weeks of time going on between episodes going on that we don't see. So that makes the relationship pacing make a ton more sense. He didn't tell her right after, he still waited like a month to finally come clean.

She didn't get back with him, she just hadn't dumped him yet. That's how real life relationships work; usually one person moves on but hasn't broke it to the other immediately. You have to find the right words and make sure you're right.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Has it? It felt like it had been only a couple days after they came back from college.

timp posted:

That one second shot of Abe Lincoln and John Wilkes Booth was incredible, and one of the reasons I really like this show so far. They often make hints at these deep and rich superhero backstories that you know could have a great story behind them, but instead they just let you fill in the blanks. A world where Abraham Lincoln is some sort of immortal Gaelic Highlander who goes on to be a modern day superhero is so delightful, and even better that that’s all they give you.

No way we don’t see more of Immortal, for eponymous reasons I’m sure.

Yeah, it's also why I like it's dark and semi-realistic superhero take. It isn't embrassed or cheating us out of the goofy or high concept nature of superheroes. I'm sure in the universe of Super-Powered Super Men/Women there is going to be that one guy who is a cave man who was also Oda Nobunaga or Saint Germain really was an immortal vampire, and but how the gently caress are you going to know unless they tell you and it's not like Superheroes are forthcoming with that poo poo and why should be? Seems he did a lot of poo poo in his life, might not even be all that important.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I absolutely lost my poo poo at the brief flashback to Immortal being Lincoln, I had to pause it and go back to make sure I understood what was actually happening there. In short:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I loved how single minded Immortal was when he woke.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

This episode was actually insane, the layers of contingency plans was a huge step up from the books and let them finally flex some animation chops. The Amber plot felt real to me, it's definitely got some logic gaps but that's how messy lie related relationship issues go. I really love how the show is consistent with how the Viltrumite flying works, they just move arbitrarily in space so Omni-man can be really creative with his hovering movements. Mark is still new and mostly does classic arms forward flying.

my boy Donald went out a hero at least :(

Banger episode:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

NutritiousSnack posted:

Has it? It felt like it had been only a couple days after they came back from college.

This just happened right after the College trip. Everything this episode is a few hours after they were originally supposed to be back from their trip.

William's assertion that he was already dumped is because Mark has been making the exact same mistakes in the relationship and Amber has already ended and then unended the relationship several times. The blow up on this particular thing seems weird, but I'm guessing we'll get something more about her reasons given she still had reaction shots and the look she gave when Mark left.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
William acted super believable when Nolan was talking to him. Super-Powered demi-god asks you a question, you don't get dodgy. You answer clearly follow literally every command given. I loved how they didn't make William some tough-guy "I'll never tell you" cliche.

"Yes Mr. Omni-Man sir here is everything you want to know"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Also its your friends' dad, so you tend to be super respectful when talking to a older family member type. Even if acting a bit strange he didn't have enough reason to withhold information from him.

I felt bad that Omni man punched his car, high school kid can't afford that kind of damage!

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
That was real good, and all the changes they made to the comic in this episode were for the better.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I actually thought William was lying about Mark's phone. It's the kind of dumb lie Mark would tell Amber for why he didn't text her that he was running late.

Only I just remembered that Mark's phone actually did break. The at the time odd focus on his phone breaking in the sewer actually did pay off.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
I was about a 6 out of 10 in terms of my level of excitement for this show at Episode 6. Episode 2 and 5 were huge standouts and the others didn't do a whole lot for me, even though they were keeping me engaged with a decent story and colourful cast.

Anyway after Episode 7 I'd like to say

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
All the comic readers like me were going "Alright finally here we gooooooo!!" :munch: when this episode started :v:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, that was pretty cool, and they nailed the “you should’ve stayed dead” and the “we have to talk” lines perfectly.

Walton Goggins loving killed it this episode too.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 23, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved how even after everything the clones still thought Robot would have given them the proper schematic :3:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I poured it all down the drain :v:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Crazy that they followed up their worst episode with probably their best episode?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The Amber relationship shenanigans is a bit dodgy, but hey, they are teenagers and it's Mark's first relationship, it was to be expected. Also that's a very nice way to end this episode and I'm looking forward for the next one.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Feel really difficult to revert to the status quo after this episode, is it wild ride-mode until the end of the season? :munch:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Feel really difficult to revert to the status quo after this episode, is it wild ride-mode until the end of the season? :munch:

There's one episode left.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Open Source Idiom posted:

There's one episode left.

lmao

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

I think the season so far has demonstrated that the status quo in invincible never lasts very long. It’s a wild ride until the end of the series, not just the season

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

I don't think there is going to be a firm status quo would exist in a superhero universe, and Invincible is all about that

Good Citizen posted:

I think the season so far has demonstrated that the status quo in invincible never lasts very long. It’s a wild ride until the end of the series, not just the season

This basically

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

I don't think there is going to be a firm status quo would exist in a superhero universe

Someone has never suffered through a CW show.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

All the comic readers like me were going "Alright finally here we gooooooo!!" :munch: when this episode started :v:

I only half remember things from the comic but not going to ask questions now. Probably will hold off until next episode but I swear I don't remember stuff that happened in this episode from the comic. Really, really good episode with a great buildup to a climax that leads to next episodes craziness. Can't wait.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

DogsInSpace! posted:

I only half remember things from the comic but not going to ask questions now. Probably will hold off until next episode but I swear I don't remember stuff that happened in this episode from the comic. Really, really good episode with a great buildup to a climax that leads to next episodes craziness. Can't wait.

You're not wrong. Pretty much everything omni-man adjacent in this episode did not happen in the comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MiddleOne posted:

Someone has never suffered through a CW show.

Also mainstream superhero comics back in the day used to constantly suffer from "sitcom syndrome" where they had to return to the status quo at the end of adventures because they wanted them to always be in a state where readers who dropped out could jump back into reading the latest issue again years later without needing to track down all the back issues they'd missed in order to figure out what was happening. Editors used to issue "story bibles" to new writers which were basically lists of what they weren't allowed to change in each comic, and a superhero continuity which didn't return to the status quo was a rarity. Back in the 70s the writers on Superman comics used to really have fun with the idea by giving Superman crazy new powers or putting him in crazy situations where his identity was revealed or he got married but then changing everything back to normal by the end of the issue.
CORRECTION: it was often the cover illustrators or editors who came up with that crazy poo poo and then they left it to the writers to write a story around the idea and figure out how to reverse everything by the end of the issue

Also the mainstream superhero TV shows and movies of the time usually followed the same or a very very similar status quo because that's just how the audience expected the characters to be depicted.

Kids these days with their story arcs and their character development and their evolving continuities don't know how good they've got it!

E: :corsair:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 23, 2021