Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

NumptyScrub posted:

| Chapter 01 | Squadron 42 | [31%]
| Chapter 02 | Squadron 42 | [0%]
| Chapter 03 | Squadron 42 | [0%]

Holy fukken lol this is definitely "beta release in 2020" territory

:tif:

Goon made video (from 2018!) featuring a supercut of Chris and Erin promising the game is almost done in 2015, sorry 2016, sorry 2017...
https://youtu.be/33ue0lzVnys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Goon made video (from 2018!) featuring a supercut of Chris and Erin promising the game is almost done in 2015, sorry 2016, sorry 2017...

And Chris Roberts defeated that nasty goon fud video by ABSOLVING himself.

Chris wins again!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The only part of sq92 that will be released will be the Mess Hall, reversioned into an exciting high fidelity 4k version of classic video game Tapper. Citizens will be enthralled as subsumption bartenders hurl bottles of booze down the tables, labels clearly readable.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

JugbandDude posted:

I’m pretty sure they could scrap the entire walking/mess hall simulator pieces of SQ42, string several arena commandos scenarios together with the acted cutscenes and call it a day. That could be their entire plan B if funding starts drying up.

So yeah, I believe SQ56 will come out one way or another.

I said this like 6 years ago I think :lol:

Like they already had arena commander.

Build some movies that play before and after some arena commander level and bam... you're done with Sq44.

But here we are, many years later. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jonny Shiloh posted:

I'm calling FUD on this one you old rust bucket - have you seen the latest NASA vid of Ingenuity on Mars, it moves in a totally no clip way so what I'm saying is, Chris Roberts is way ahead of science on this one.

Also, Ingenuity's chief pilot is called Håvard Fjær Grip, and if that's not the name of someone who should be wearing an eyepatch and four jackets while t-posing on a desk on Hurston, I don't know what is.

:negative:

Guess it's just realistic flight mechanics as seen from the concept of a drone type craft.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/IlliterateEachGlowworm-mobile.mp4

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
So I saw that new fancy trailer on IGN....I'm guessing these "new vehicles!" they proudly announce are only available through cold hard cash?

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

is it embarrassing that video is going to need an update, to add in another 5 years of missed deadlines?

Man its sooo well done.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

BigglesSWE posted:

So I saw that new fancy trailer on IGN....I'm guessing these "new vehicles!" they proudly announce are only available through cold hard cash?

Typically, yeah. They'll only be available for cash for 2-3 patches before they add them to the in-game shops.

What's funny is that this time the community is just not accepting the ROC-DS. It is a mind-boggling vehicle even by CIG standards.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Nalin posted:

Typically, yeah. They'll only be available for cash for 2-3 patches before they add them to the in-game shops.

What's funny is that this time the community is just not accepting the ROC-DS. It is a mind-boggling vehicle even by CIG standards.

What's the ROC-DS and why is it so bad?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Trilobite posted:

I think some day there'll be a desperate scramble to slap something playable together and call it Squadron 42, just to get it out the door before the lights go off. It'll be bad space missions strung together with bad cutscenes that go on way too long because they're jamming as much of Chris's awful script and interminable mocap in as they can manage, and a lot of jankiness.

I don't think they're at the desperate scramble stage yet, but who knows? I wouldn't be surprised if literally no one at CIG has even a vague guess about what's been done, what needs to be done, how much time they need, or how much time they have left. After all, it's the most open development ever, so when nobody outside can tell how close to 'finished' things are, it can only mean that nobody inside can tell, either.

I think there’s 0% chance they have anything working at all

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Lammasu posted:

I have not gone to the website in ages so this is just my hearsay-educated guess, but it's another lovely mining vehicle.

First they had mining small gems by hand with a laser
Then they had mining asteroids with a single-seat spaceship with a laser
Then the asteroids bugged out but they added rocks on the planets that could be mined
Then they added a four-seat mining ship but it wasn't any better than the single-seat mining ship, it just had 3 lasers and the pilot couldn't use one, making it awkward and pointless.
Then they added mining smaller rocks (but bigger than gems) using a go-cart called the ROC. It was extremely buggy and clipped through the ground or failed to mine about 90% of the time.
Then they updated the game to add refinery stations that require you to fly all your rocks to them and spend money/24+ hours to refine them or get like 20% of the normal payout.

Now they are selling another go-cart but this one is for two players, and once again the driver can't actually mine. But it has more storage! Except storage doesn't matter because players use the inventory system to just unload the go-cart into one of Star Citizen's ubiquitous boxes, and put that in their spaceship. So they're going to break that storage mechanic in an upcoming patch, to make their new lovely go-cart relevant. It's still not though because anyone with half a functioning brain would just bring two of the single-seat ROCs.

This is pretty much Star Citizen 101. Little to no forethought, just kind of cramming stuff in wherever they can, things break and never get fixed, bigger vehicles are somehow substantially less useful than small vehicles, and they intentionally patch and break the existing mechanics to force you to use the bad ones.

E: Also the guy with the mining laser doesn't get environmental protection meaning the new go-cart can't be used on half the planets in the game without your copilot dying, LOL

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 23, 2021

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

In summation:

https://v.redd.it/9a5lw9bc6su61/DASH_1080.mp4

And it costs $70

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 23, 2021

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021
For $70 you better be able to play the release version of Studio 54 on its dashboard computer while your friend employee slave incredibly lifelike subsumptioned NPC mines space rocks for you. True fidelity requires gaming crobbleception.

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

i am a moron posted:

I think there’s 0% chance they have anything working at all

Their nest of tax havens and sketchy shell companies is in full working order, thank you very much

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

FishMcCool posted:

Ben42, answer the call!

A Kickstarter to buy another Kickstarter?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Sarsapariller posted:

I have not gone to the website in ages so this is just my hearsay-educated guess, but it's another lovely mining vehicle.

First they had mining small gems by hand with a laser
Then they had mining asteroids with a single-seat spaceship with a laser
Then the asteroids bugged out but they added rocks on the planets that could be mined
Then they added a four-seat mining ship but it wasn't any better than the single-seat mining ship, it just had 3 lasers and the pilot couldn't use one, making it awkward and pointless.
Then they added mining smaller rocks (but bigger than gems) using a go-cart called the ROC. It was extremely buggy and clipped through the ground or failed to mine about 90% of the time.
Then they updated the game to add refinery stations that require you to fly all your rocks to them and spend money/24+ hours to refine them or get like 20% of the normal payout.

Now they are selling another go-cart but this one is for two players, and once again the driver can't actually mine. But it has more storage! Except storage doesn't matter because players use the inventory system to just unload the go-cart into one of Star Citizen's ubiquitous boxes, and put that in their spaceship. So they're going to break that storage mechanic in an upcoming patch, to make their new lovely go-cart relevant. It's still not though because anyone with half a functioning brain would just bring two of the single-seat ROCs.

This is pretty much Star Citizen 101. Little to no forethought, just kind of cramming stuff in wherever they can, things break and never get fixed, bigger vehicles are somehow substantially less useful than small vehicles, and they intentionally patch and break the existing mechanics to force you to use the bad ones.

E: Also the guy with the mining laser doesn't get environmental protection meaning the new go-cart can't be used on half the planets in the game without your copilot dying, LOL

Think of all the work that goes into balancing other things like fighting games and MOBAs. And then you have Star Citizen.

.random
May 7, 2007

It seems like they really spent a lot of time and effort making the explosions look interesting because they knew you were going to constantly see that from every angle conceivable. Now that’s the kind of attention to detail CIG is known for.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

.random posted:

It seems like they really spent a lot of time and effort making the explosions look interesting because they knew you were going to constantly see that from every angle conceivable. Now that’s the kind of attention to detail CIG is known for.

One of the things I love most about Star Citizen is that the explosions that every bug video ends in are themselves still completely broken and bugged. It's just a bright flash of particles and some expanding textures while they swap out the model with the "destroyed" version, but they have never been able to impart correct momentum or rig the skeleton of the destroyed versions correctly so it always turns into a random jittery mess and half the time you can see the square of the explosion textures because they aren't angled correctly. People who say the game is some kind of visual masterpiece are one of the most obvious examples of willful blindness that I've ever seen.

Note in the ROC video how the second seat with the mining laser is completely motionless and doesn't react to the explosion at all, how the body of the vehicle fails to despawn and swap properly for about 3 seconds after the explosion, how physics doesn't kick in to make the pieces drop to the ground for another few. It's an absolute failure of effects design from top to bottom and they have no idea how to fix any of it.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 23, 2021

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lammasu posted:

So, in Star Citizen there are two classes of mineable rocks. One are the space asteroids. You use space ships like the Prospector and the Mole to mine those. The other are smaller rocks you mine by hand. The non-space rocks are the ones I am going to talk about.

Originally, you would go into a cave and use a hand-held mining tool to explode rocks and pick up the pieces. But CIG eventually made larger rocks that couldn't be destroyed with the hand tool and placed them on the planet surface. They then created a vehicle called the Greycat ROC with a powerful laser that could mine the larger rocks.

The ROC was a buggy with a mining arm attached to it. You drive it around on the ground, find a larger rock, and shoot your laser at it until it explodes. Then you use your tractor beam to collect the pieces. It was a single seat vehicle. It was small so you could fit it on most starter ships with cargo area. It occupied a spot in the mining progression between mining by hand and mining in space and it was actually quite lucrative to use.

The Greycat ROC-DS is CIG's attempt at making a multi-crew ground mining vehicle. Here is why it is so unbelievably bad to the point where even Star Citizen loyalists can't defend it.

1) It is a two-person vehicle. One person drives and the other mines. Kinda boring for the guy who just has to drive, yes? The guy who mines operates the mining bucket with a laser. It's kinda like a bucket truck that is used to service electrical poles. So one person has fun mining while the other sits and waits to drive to the next rock.

2) The original ROC's cockpit was exposed. That means you had to wear special space suits on certain planets to survive more than a few minutes. The ROC-DS has an environmentally contained cockpit so you can stay outside indefinitely. Much better. But, alas, only the driver has a sealed cockpit. The mining bucket operator still has to use a space suit so there is absolutely no benefit at all to having the sealed cockpit as your mining laser guy will die anyway.

3) It is very large so it doesn't fit in most ships anymore.

4) In the ships that you CAN fit it inside, they have large enough cargo areas that you can just load up two classic ROCs instead and you and your buddy can BOTH drive AND mine. Much more fun for everybody involved.

The ROC-DS solves absolutely no problem that can't be solved better with just bringing two ROCs. It is a complete waste of money.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPxLCxriHl0

New episode of Inside Turbulent Citizen is out - but honestly, don't waste your time, for the summary all you really need to do is to go to

https://youtu.be/zPxLCxriHl0?t=973

TRIGGER WARNING: It's Jared!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
SC has new trailer

What is Star Citizen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Rz5PTMuaw

quote:

Discover a new universe on an unprecedented scale

Universe at the scale of one half-finished system at 1:16 scale. Unprecedented in how small this "universe" is, I guess.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Nalin posted:

So, in Star Citizen there are two classes of mineable rocks. One are the space asteroids. You use space ships like the Prospector and the Mole to mine those. The other are smaller rocks you mine by hand. The non-space rocks are the ones I am going to talk about.

Originally, you would go into a cave and use a hand-held mining tool to explode rocks and pick up the pieces. But CIG eventually made larger rocks that couldn't be destroyed with the hand tool and placed them on the planet surface. They then created a vehicle called the Greycat ROC with a powerful laser that could mine the larger rocks.

The ROC was a buggy with a mining arm attached to it. You drive it around on the ground, find a larger rock, and shoot your laser at it until it explodes. Then you use your tractor beam to collect the pieces. It was a single seat vehicle. It was small so you could fit it on most starter ships with cargo area. It occupied a spot in the mining progression between mining by hand and mining in space and it was actually quite lucrative to use.

The Greycat ROC-DS is CIG's attempt at making a multi-crew ground mining vehicle. Here is why it is so unbelievably bad to the point where even Star Citizen loyalists can't defend it.

1) It is a two-person vehicle. One person drives and the other mines. Kinda boring for the guy who just has to drive, yes? The guy who mines operates the mining bucket with a laser. It's kinda like a bucket truck that is used to service electrical poles. So one person has fun mining while the other sits and waits to drive to the next rock.

2) The original ROC's cockpit was exposed. That means you had to wear special space suits on certain planets to survive more than a few minutes. The ROC-DS has an environmentally contained cockpit so you can stay outside indefinitely. Much better. But, alas, only the driver has a sealed cockpit. The mining bucket operator still has to use a space suit so there is absolutely no benefit at all to having the sealed cockpit as your mining laser guy will die anyway.

4) In the ships that you CAN fit it inside, they have large enough cargo areas that you can just load up two classic ROCs instead and you and your buddy can BOTH drive AND mine. Much more fun for everybody involved.

The ROC-DS solves absolutely no problem that can't be solved better with just bringing two ROCs. It is a complete waste of money.

Warning: Attempting to drive on or near a ramp can lead to injury or death.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Jonny Shiloh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPxLCxriHl0

New episode of Inside Turbulent Citizen is out

So their CTO Beausejour (the happy holder of many CIG shares since the swap) sees this as:

"kickstarting a new studio from scratch"

Loving that down-to-earth, early days, vibe

No mention of the crack server meshing team weirdly

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 23, 2021

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Dwesa posted:

SC has new trailer

What is Star Citizen?

Universe at the scale of one half-finished system at 1:16 scale. Unprecedented in how small this "universe" is, I guess.

Love the blend of actual game videos, i.e. carrying boxes, and made-up trailers showing stuff that actually looks like fun but that you can't do.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Pixelate posted:

So their CTO Beausejour (the happy holder of many CIG shares since the swap) sees this as:

"kickstarting a new studio from scratch"

Loving that down-to-earth, early days, vibe

No mention of the crack server meshing team weirdly

In fairness, he'll have seen at first hand the development shambles at CIG's studios, he'll know there are no lessons to be drawn from the way CIG has done it except one - "do it in entirely the opposite way".

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

After Sandi and Erin talk in the beginning of that video, when Chris starts speaking, the contrast really highlights how much he sounds like Kermit the Frog.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

BigglesSWE posted:

I think they actually prefer room temperature soft cash, just in case they need to roll it up for use with some unspecified white powder.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/18084-Q-A-Greycat-ROC-DS

I feel bad for the guy whose job it was to write this, though the mental gymnastics being done to justify this thing are impressive.

Comments are fun, too.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Don't worry, there's a couply small, quirky bugs, but at least

quote:

ROC Black Cherry Livery
Black paint with red highlights make the Black Cherry paint scheme a subtle yet stylish look for the ROC and ROC-DS.

ROC Harvester Livery
The Harvester paint scheme for the ROC and ROC-DS brings a bold look to any jobsite.

ROC Hazard Livery
Live bold with this high visibility ROC and ROC-DS Hazard paint scheme.

ROC Quicksilver Livery
Turn heads with this slick Quicksilver paint scheme for your ROC and ROC-DS.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Sarsapariller posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI2NesSK4hU

(((music swells triumphantly as every part of the game fails in some way)))

Wow, and someone thought that putting this video out there would make Star Citizen look good, and not like a complete shambles.

You've got 20 seconds of a camera pan over a static ship, and then at 26 seconds we see a lovely expanding texture square from the explosion.
Follow up is the white ship showing off how terrible the flight model is by rotating around like it's in a model viewer and then another really horrible explosion effect.

Then some more pan shots of the caterpillar shooting at nothing.

Bravo.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Nalin posted:

I love how CIG’s idea of multicrew is just splitting up a task that one person could do just fine, and then making it worse somehow.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Dwesa posted:

SC has new trailer

What is Star Citizen?

Dam the comments section would be considered salty even to a salt miner.

quote:

Better question would be "where is Star Citizen?"

quote:

Wrong title. You misspelled "What could Star Citizen be in 5 years or so.."

quote:

This video 30k'd my YouTube app.

quote:

I get the feeling videos like these will be used one day as evidence in a class action lawsuit

quote:

Fly what (You can afford) to fly. There fixed it, haha. ^^

quote:

The true video of accomplishment would be them showing rovers on the Connie elevator going up and down flawlessly...

how much did they pay for the likes on their video....

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I love how CIG’s idea of multicrew is just splitting up a task that one person could do just fine, and then making it worse somehow.

I mean, that's more or less been CI¿G?'s MO since, what? 2015?

"If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is."

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Bastards! They've but the bug reports behind a login.

Not that it matters really, reddit will be full of bugs for a week, then everyone will stop playing again. Issue Council has been pretty dead for the last year or more. (It's mainly just these dedicated guys finding every single place a wine glass can clip into a vestibule)

I liked being able to search for 'wHY DEATH?!' though. And to see which bugs were charting.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

SC has new trailer

What is Star Citizen?

The title of this video is actually an earnest question from CIG.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

What's the backstory behind the girl cheering at 1:11 in the trailer?!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hizawk posted:

What's the backstory behind the girl cheering at 1:11 in the trailer?!

Her reaction upon learning the results of the last Imperator election. It was a big deal.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Popete posted:

The title of this video is actually an earnest question from CIG.

Someone overheard Chris talking to Ben one day on zoom and assumed it was the newest video title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dwesa posted:

SC has new trailer

What is Star Citizen?

lol not a single thing in this trailer is actually in the game itself.