Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
At the rehab I work at, there's one staff member who will happily work 80+ hours, and it sets a really bad precedent for the owner, who tien thinks everyone is up for that bullshit. They asked me to work the day shift, night shift, and then the next day shift and night shift. Literally working for 48 hours straight. It's how casually my boss asked me to do it.

Here's another thing for the thread. As a care coordinator, I make 14 dollars an hour. It's miserable. The work we do is insane - transport, leading groups for 50+ clients, dispensing medications (I did get QMAP certified through this, which was nice). But it's beyond that - it's having a client have a seizure and help him, it's talking to crying men who are struggling in early recovery, of which that place is a special hell (I'm an alcoholic in recovery). It's tremendous emotional labor some days.

The bottom 25% of people doing the same job make $17.69 / hour, according to the internet. The care coordinator staff size has remained the same whole the client base has almost tripled. Time for a raise, right?

Here's my conversation with my boss about a raise. I've known him personally before this job due to the recovery community, so it's why I can talk to him this way:

Me: hello I believe for the reasons that I nave stated that I deserve a raise. I have been doing the job of multiple people here.

Him: Bubba if you just do, say, transport on a day off, that's all OT, that's good money

Me: Bob, I know how overtime works. I know what it is. I'm talking about some dignity.

Him: *shakes head sadly* yeah...

And the whole thing just sort of disappeared. The main problem is the owner is just awful and is trying to get blood from a stone at any given point. It's just hard.

Anyway I have an interview tomorrow with a tech education company. Time to get back into the tech world and make a poo poo load more money and have a lot of the problems that this thread is talking about. Thanks for reading my long bitchy post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Diametunim posted:

Breaking 200k before the age of 30 is alright.

Dang we postin W-2s ITT now?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Only thing Im posting is from my Yacht the SS F.I.R.E.

Oh god I'm ruined

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Diametunim posted:

This

This, and a 35k raise, then another 10k raise again when company A sold us to company B. The corporate life isn't so bad. Even if it costs me 80+ hours of my life a week.

Breaking 200k before the age of 30 is alright.

Post the w2

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ugly In The Morning posted:

While this job is a pit of misery that I can’t wait to leave (I’m literally only here for resume time towards my CSP), a lot of it is that it has zero downtime and I’m walking 10-15 miles a night and there’s a lot more physical poo poo to it than there should be because I can’t just throw people at problems despite ostensibly being management. There’s just no people to throw at stuff because of the insane amount of cost cutting (see also, them not replacing me when I transfer)

Being the single point of focus for an entire area of a business is a recipe for disaster for both the business and yourself. Having to physically travel between locations just makes it a chore on top of the stress. No wonder you are tired as gently caress.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Here's a fun one. I work in a machine shop making widgets. That means we use a ton of consumable tooling. Drills, endmills, stuff like that. All this tooling comes from one guy who orders everything.

Every single piece gets an internal serial number that's recorded in a paper notebook and laser engraved on the piece itself. Getting this number engraved adds a decent amount of delay. Also nothing gets entered into a computer.

Once I've worn the tooling out it gets thrown into the appropriate recycling bin. The serial is not referenced ever again.

No one can look up how much tooling I used this year. I guess someone could go through every entry in the many notebooks but lol.

Like every single loving drill bit in the entire shop has +2 minutes so we can ????

I offered to make him an access database or excel spreadsheet so he could look stuff up and analyze the data. He opened a file cabinet and patted hundreds of notebooks. "I've got it"

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

zedprime posted:

I've never heard anybody in the 60-80 hour overachiever crew say something along the lines of "work hard play hard" in any way that doesn't sound like they are trying to convince themself most of all.

Trade-esque skills with minimums play into this. I can’t imagine burning myself out like that for a salaried job but in my field there’s essentially kpi’s that determine the billing (this task should take x hours, we charge the client a flat amount proportional to that time). Thing thing is, when we do our time cards we cross reference the same numbers to get paid ourselves, so for a task that takes ~4 hrs I say I’m billing 4 hours to the client for that project for that sample that needed this kinda of processing and pay myself 4 hours. It might only take me 3, or if I stack my workload efficiently, only 2, but I still get to bill the full time because it’s already been paid for.

In addition to this, our OT is all calculated based on an 8 hr day rather than a 40 hr week, so if I worked 4 tens I’m effectively getting 32 hrs standard pay and 8 hrs 1.5x. Mentally I just convert it to standard hrs and think “I’m getting paid 44 hrs for this week”.

All this boils down to me stacking my days so during normal times I work 30 hrs, get paid in the 40s, and have a 3 day weekend. During busy times I work 40-50 hrs and get paid 70+ hrs. During slow times I can use pto or just take an unpaid week off, which isn’t hard to afford because of all the OT banked up. Work is work though it’s not getting paid to sit in an office and email people. In this way I basically work hard when there’s lots of work, and use that as a cushion to take breaks when I can. It feels very rewarding and the work is a good mixture of physically and mentally engaging.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

honda whisperer posted:

I offered to make him an access database or excel spreadsheet so he could look stuff up and analyze the data. He opened a file cabinet and patted hundreds of notebooks. "I've got it"

Steal the notebooks and throw them away including the current one.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Outrail posted:

Make small edits throughout so that he begins to doubt his sanity as he follows the thread

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Floodixor posted:

At the rehab I work at, there's one staff member who will happily work 80+ hours, and it sets a really bad precedent for the owner, who tien thinks everyone is up for that bullshit. They asked me to work the day shift, night shift, and then the next day shift and night shift. Literally working for 48 hours straight. It's how casually my boss asked me to do it.

Here's another thing for the thread. As a care coordinator, I make 14 dollars an hour. It's miserable. The work we do is insane - transport, leading groups for 50+ clients, dispensing medications (I did get QMAP certified through this, which was nice). But it's beyond that - it's having a client have a seizure and help him, it's talking to crying men who are struggling in early recovery, of which that place is a special hell (I'm an alcoholic in recovery). It's tremendous emotional labor some days.

The bottom 25% of people doing the same job make $17.69 / hour, according to the internet. The care coordinator staff size has remained the same whole the client base has almost tripled. Time for a raise, right?

Here's my conversation with my boss about a raise. I've known him personally before this job due to the recovery community, so it's why I can talk to him this way:

Me: hello I believe for the reasons that I nave stated that I deserve a raise. I have been doing the job of multiple people here.

Him: Bubba if you just do, say, transport on a day off, that's all OT, that's good money

Me: Bob, I know how overtime works. I know what it is. I'm talking about some dignity.

Him: *shakes head sadly* yeah...

And the whole thing just sort of disappeared. The main problem is the owner is just awful and is trying to get blood from a stone at any given point. It's just hard.

Anyway I have an interview tomorrow with a tech education company. Time to get back into the tech world and make a poo poo load more money and have a lot of the problems that this thread is talking about. Thanks for reading my long bitchy post.

Do never work for anyone you aren't willing to burn your friendship with.

Atopian posted:

Make small edits throughout so that he begins to doubt his sanity as he follows the thread

Lol if you think he ever reads these. This guy has given himself job security by requiring totally useless serial numbers that you need to go through him to do anything with, why would you possibly expect him to want to change his sweet gig and risk getting made redundant by a simple data entry form?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

honda whisperer posted:

Here's a fun one. I work in a machine shop making widgets. That means we use a ton of consumable tooling. Drills, endmills, stuff like that. All this tooling comes from one guy who orders everything.

Every single piece gets an internal serial number that's recorded in a paper notebook and laser engraved on the piece itself. Getting this number engraved adds a decent amount of delay. Also nothing gets entered into a computer.

Once I've worn the tooling out it gets thrown into the appropriate recycling bin. The serial is not referenced ever again.

No one can look up how much tooling I used this year. I guess someone could go through every entry in the many notebooks but lol.

Like every single loving drill bit in the entire shop has +2 minutes so we can ????

Find a way to set off the sprinkler system "by accident"

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

honda whisperer posted:

Atopian posted:

Sheik Yerbouti
Apr 14, 2009

You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.
I'm a structural analyst at a company offering FEA as a service, which means I usually work on multiple projects in one day.

The software we use to track our time on any task uses drop-down menus to enter the hours, which would already be stupid, but they maximized the inconvenience by having us enter the exact times via drop-down menus, one for hours, one for minutes.

So if I want to say that, for example, I worked on a simulation for customer X, I need to select the task "simulation", then find the hour I started in one menu, the minute (in 6-minute intervals) in another and repeat this for the time I stopped doing that task. Add to that the fact that each task takes like 10 seconds to process because the server is located somewhere remote and you have a recipe for a great time at the end of a day (god forbid you do this at the end of the week if you forgot to do this a few days in a row).

Edit: Of course, you need to document the time you spent doing that poo poo using the same tool as well. :hfive:

Sheik Yerbouti fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 23, 2021

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Sheik Yerbouti posted:

Edit: Of course, you need to document the time you spent doing that poo poo using the same tool as well. :hfive:

Honestly, bullshit time systems that account for the time required for their bullshit are better than bullshit time systems that don't.

At least then the wasted hours are being correctly attributed to it, not you.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Atopian posted:

Honestly, bullshit time systems that account for the time required for their bullshit are better than bullshit time systems that don't.

At least then the wasted hours are being correctly attributed to it, not you.

Yeah I worked for a place that demanded detailed timesheets but also got mad if you accurately recorded the time it took to actually enter your timesheets into the system.
The managers also never forgave someone for entering "eating cake" when there was a staff birthday thing. The implication was either we were supposed to have billed that to a client or counted it as part of our lunch break.

This sort of thinking resulted in a death spiral for encouraging inefficiency and dishonesty in all things to inflate billable hours, and I'm glad I don't work there anymore.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Sheik Yerbouti posted:

Zeno's Paradoxical Timesheet Systems Incorporated

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

my work just has us do up an excel sheet for time tracking and it's not important for it to be super accurate so i usually just slam the numbers in off the top of my head in the last 5 minutes of the day lol. they just use it for costing out future jobs

although the lady that handles payroll will apparently withhold your pay if you don't submit it on time (end of the week) which is obvious super illegal (we use an actual punch clock for labour payroll) but i haven't had it come up yet so i haven't said anything

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

my work just has us do up an excel sheet for time tracking and it's not important for it to be super accurate so i usually just slam the numbers in off the top of my head in the last 5 minutes of the day lol. they just use it for costing out future jobs

Same way I do it, it doesn't even matter if it's remotely accurate as long as I bullshit the numbers well enough it doesn't trip any flags. I'd still get more done without those flags to worry about.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

This is why I quit nursing and now work in IT basically just writing the occasional script and spending most of my time s digging through tutorials on stuff I like learning anyway/playing with my homelab

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Outrail posted:

ben shapino posted:

Find a way to set off the sprinkler system "by accident"

It would do nothing. Nobody looks at any of it. At all, for any reason.

Just record keeping into the void. Nobody even asked him to do this. It's self inflicted.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
My place just implemented accurate timekeeping by letting salaried employees log more than 8 hrs a day.

Planning for next year just started and the shocked pikachu face emoji is getting a workout in the leadership teams channel.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Most of the employees here have to break down all their billable hours in to 15 minute increments, which is a real hassle.
However, all the admins, IT and other support staff don't charge to the projects because they support the employees that are charging to the projects. So each project contracts has ~10% of its dollar-value set aside to pay for overhead.

So nearly every employee charges to the 3-4 projects they are working on but then everyone else gets a bi-monthly spreadsheet with 20-30 projects with a seemingly random assortment of times selected for each overhead employee.

I get the why of it all but the execution is a headache.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
As a team lead I get to hit all the projects my team works plus overhead. My timesheet usually has like 15+ rows, tacked in 6 minute increments.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

honda whisperer posted:

It would do nothing. Nobody looks at any of it. At all, for any reason.

Just record keeping into the void. Nobody even asked him to do this. It's self inflicted.

That's why you steal them. They'll melt down and nobody else will care, at some point they'll have to shut up about the constantly missing notebook or explain why they're important.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

honda whisperer posted:

Tooling is one of those things that can be a business killer if you don't quote for it in manufacturing. I worked at a place that was basically an oilfield shop but they wanted to mass produce a certain type of pup joint. This involved deep hole drilling, turning and milling all in one operation on a 1.5 million dollar Mazak. They bought the machine new and bought a shitload of tooling for it. So after a few months of making these things I found out what they were charging for them, $200 each. Since they didn't track tooling they bought and charge it to the job they didn't know that the guys were basically cratering a $5000 drill every 2 weeks (instead of farming the drilling out as I had recommended), using inserts and tools like nobodies business.

Factoring in the cost of the machine, the tooling and the time, they were going to basically do those pup joints for free for 5-6 years.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Time tracking systems are great. Yesterday we had company-wide mandatory OT with no notice, so I billed updating my resume and applying to new jobs to the client.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tarkus posted:

Tooling is one of those things that can be a business killer if you don't quote for it in manufacturing. I worked at a place that was basically an oilfield shop but they wanted to mass produce a certain type of pup joint. This involved deep hole drilling, turning and milling all in one operation on a 1.5 million dollar Mazak. They bought the machine new and bought a shitload of tooling for it. So after a few months of making these things I found out what they were charging for them, $200 each. Since they didn't track tooling they bought and charge it to the job they didn't know that the guys were basically cratering a $5000 drill every 2 weeks (instead of farming the drilling out as I had recommended), using inserts and tools like nobodies business.

Factoring in the cost of the machine, the tooling and the time, they were going to basically do those pup joints for free for 5-6 years.
If only there was some way to join these serial numbers to work orders. Oh well guess I'll keep cramming these notebooks in a filing cabinet.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

zedprime posted:

If only there was some way to join these serial numbers to work orders. Oh well guess I'll keep cramming these notebooks in a filing cabinet.

Funny thing was that they had a big fancy ERP system that they used every day but for some reason they felt that tracking time on jobs and charging tooling to jobs was just a bridge too far. Keep in mind this was a facility with 30+ machines and 60+ employees. They always wondered why the company was hemorrhaging money despite being busy.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I teach in a school, and they will not commit to going online. We do a week here, two weeks there. Half our students and teachers are isolating and we're supposed to juggle in class students with those connecting from home. Online teaching isn't great, but it's a lot better than trying to do both at once. Also every time we do teach online, they make us all drive in and do it from the school. So I get up each morning, drive to school, log in to my computer and do the exact same thing I would do from home.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/LEBassett/status/1385047925986836492

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Splode posted:

The managers also never forgave someone for entering "eating cake" when there was a staff birthday thing. The implication was either we were supposed to have billed that to a client or counted it as part of our lunch break.

job-2 started getting upset that billable+nonbillable !== clockout-clockin, so I literally started logging basically everything, down to the minute, to the “Internal - Other” category.

Eating cake? “Internal - Other”
Bathroom? “Internal - Other”
Refilling a water bottle? “Internal - Other”
Helping a coworker work through a merge conflict because of our insane version control scheme? “Internal - Other”
Listening to the person in charge of timekeeping complain about the useless logs to “Internal - Other”? “Internal - Other”

They also got really pissy about time off, and I was salaried, so I meticulously kept a log to ensure I worked exactly the 45 hours a week they expected, when I had usually been working 50 previously.

That time logging also went under “Internal - Other.”

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I started reading that as 'infernal+other' and that made more sense.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

We were originally slated to end WFH July first, but the CEO sent out an e-mail on Tuesday telling us about the "Work Appropriate" initiative (or some poo poo) and how we might or might not end the current WFH arrangement. It sounds like we'll get some sort of default instructions for IT as a whole, and then each team/organization will get to tweak it to their needs. I'll take hybrid over full office, even though I prefer to just WFH all the time, but what's irksome is that the CIO insist that IT is a "team sport" so face to face interaction is just critical.

I really don't need to be in the office in order to attend a loving weekly standup meeting, and my manager is in another state, so it really doesn't make a difference whether we do the weekly staff meeting in an office or not. I don't think the DBA team ever meets face to face with anybody else, so I don't see the need for any of us to go back to the office, unless we want to get out of the house. They're asking every employee to weigh in and some of these people.just sound either brainwashed or desperate to be somewhere other than home.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Outrail posted:

That's why you steal them. They'll melt down and nobody else will care, at some point they'll have to shut up about the constantly missing notebook or explain why they're important.

Eh I don't hate the guy or anything, and overall the jobs great so don't poo poo where you eat in this case. It's 90% he makes more work for himself.. if the guy who runs the laser wants to I won't talk him out of it.

Tarkus posted:

I uh, 5k for a drill? How loving big was that thing?

I bet if we tracked tooling consumed by employee I could guess the top 5 easy. We're a job shop so most of the stuff I use spreads across multiple parts and customers before it's worn out. Super expensive one offs so I get not tracking tooling by job but on a production run what the hell.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

honda whisperer posted:

Eh I don't hate the guy or anything, and overall the jobs great so don't poo poo where you eat in this case. It's 90% he makes more work for himself.. if the guy who runs the laser wants to I won't talk him out of it.

I uh, 5k for a drill? How loving big was that thing?

I bet if we tracked tooling consumed by employee I could guess the top 5 easy. We're a job shop so most of the stuff I use spreads across multiple parts and customers before it's worn out. Super expensive one offs so I get not tracking tooling by job but on a production run what the hell.

Well, it was a long Sandvik only about 2 1/2" diameter but it had extensions that would neck it down and let it drill 24-36" deep. The head was like 3600 and the extensions were 800/pc (typical sandvik) of which they would ruin 1-2. It was a wonky setup really more appropriate for an ejector drill.

And yeah, in our shop right now we just buy tools and guess what we used for tooling since a single tool could span multiple jobs.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I’m pretty sure the company CEO is melting down. Just arbitrarily demanding people be in office and then walking it back over and over, directly calling clients and pisding them off, and rotating through a ton of SVPs this year. Still, profits are up somehow

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Lol my recently fired coworker hasn’t returned his equipment(computer, home desk phone, router thing used for VPN) yet. He’s ghosted our VP 3 times this week saying he’d bring it in and now they’re talking about looking into the theft route. They had me change all of our passwords and everyone’s been trying to security proof everything.

As much as I hate the guy, I am guessing he is just depressed and binge drinking or something don’t further gently caress him over.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Keeping track of the various entities we have dealings with was getting difficult so I made a simple sheets document so people could jot down a few notes on each company/person. The intent is to have somewhere that has concise notes on the current status of people so we know where we are with various negotiations. This will save me a lot of time.

Guy immediately starts copy-pasting whole emails into random cells, in the wrong columns, not matched up to the right rows. Just pages of email chains all over the place. The document is completely unreadable and totally defeats the purpose of the sheet. I'm expected to 'clean it up'. This will take me hours to read each cell and edit it down to something manageable. I'm already getting Fwd: emails with 'can you update the tracker'. Why do I even loving bother? In a month I'm going to delete it as a failed experiemnt the internet is going to mysteriously scrub it from existence.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Outrail posted:

Keeping track of the various entities we have dealings with was getting difficult so I made a simple sheets document so people could jot down a few notes on each company/person. The intent is to have somewhere that has concise notes on the current status of people so we know where we are with various negotiations. This will save me a lot of time.

Guy immediately starts copy-pasting whole emails into random cells, in the wrong columns, not matched up to the right rows. Just pages of email chains all over the place. The document is completely unreadable and totally defeats the purpose of the sheet. I'm expected to 'clean it up'. This will take me hours to read each cell and edit it down to something manageable. I'm already getting Fwd: emails with 'can you update the tracker'. Why do I even loving bother? In a month I'm going to delete it as a failed experiemnt the internet is going to mysteriously scrub it from existence.
Lol thats what u get for taking the initiative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

titty_baby_ posted:

Lol thats what u get for taking the initiative

Yeah. In hindsight, it was obvious that would happen. This is a guy who has at minimum three different fonts in four different sizes on every document he sends me. It's baffling.

Questions that are apparently stupid:
Will this make sense to other people?
Is this helpful?
Does it solve a problem or make a problem?

I'm going to keep a mirror next to my desk to hold up every time someone asks why something won't work.