Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Proteus Jones posted:

I thought there was nothing more offensive to me than the toilet in the shag cave.

Then I saw this

This is what they were looking for at the end of True Detective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Proteus Jones posted:

I thought there was nothing more offensive to me than the toilet in the shag cave.

Then I saw this

This is a crime.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's like they say, when you approach the throne, you better not miss.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I want to see a toilet mounted ontop of a washingmachine for maximum space efficiency.

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

Computer viking posted:

An anleggsbrakke, plus the usual Danish/Norwegian mangling? Yeah, I genuinely have no idea what that'd be in English either. I think the technical term is something like "modular workplace housing".

Basically, I get what he means, and it's not a festival toilet, it's a shipping container sized building with plumbing you hoist into place and live in for the duration.

I think we'd call that in the UK a 'static caravan'. Like a portable house that arrive on the back of a lorry and is dropped/craned into place.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Baconroll posted:

I want to see a toilet mounted ontop of a washingmachine for maximum space efficiency.

Why bother with the toilet, so long as the washer is a top-loader

RUM hack posted:

I think we'd call that in the UK a 'static caravan'. Like a portable house that arrive on the back of a lorry and is dropped/craned into place.

In the US/Philadelphia area, we call those 'portable buildings.' I had a class in high school that was in "the portable building," a temporary structure that had not moved in 25-years.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 23, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That sounds exactly right, yeah - my father taught primary school classes in them for several years while they were rebuilding.
This sort of thing: https://reblock.no/produkter/byggmoduler/anlegg/anleggsbrakker/ .

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

PainterofCrap posted:

In the US/Philadelphia area, we call those 'portable buildings.' I had a class in high school that was in "the portable building," a temporary structure that had not moved in 25-years.

Exactly the same experience in several places in Australia

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

PainterofCrap posted:

Yeah, we call it the same thing out here in California, or just "portables". I had classes in the portables all throughout my school years. Even the library at one of my schools was just a really big portable.

I guess the "correct" term would be prefabricated building or just prefab. Learned that when we were looking at mobile homes and the dealer was very insistent on calling them "prefabricated homes" as if he took personal offense to the term "mobile home". :shrug:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
The crux of that being that what we call a trailer here in the deep south (and apparently in wherever Canadian Province Trailer Park Boys was in) is technically capabable of having the axles removed once its in place, very rarely happens.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

:captainpop:

https://twitter.com/jkac/status/1385417305048469508?s=21

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I thought it was just going to focus on the door, but it somehow kept getting worse and worse.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Bees on Wheat posted:

Yeah, we call it the same thing out here in California, or just "portables". I had classes in the portables all throughout my school years. Even the library at one of my schools was just a really big portable.

I guess the "correct" term would be prefabricated building or just prefab. Learned that when we were looking at mobile homes and the dealer was very insistent on calling them "prefabricated homes" as if he took personal offense to the term "mobile home". :shrug:

Had a year of classes in one of those in the UK too. Was "the portacabin", which google tells me is some trademark thing.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Doing a job where we were removing 4 dormers from an old home. Was the first time I encountered "structural bat poo poo".

Our helper noted that dirt was falling out of the ceiling and my partner and I looked at each other and told him to get out of there. As luck would have it we all had our full face respirators and the big shop vac.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

PainterofCrap posted:

My middle school probably had more of these than actual classrooms, at the time it was one of the biggest middle schools in the country. We just called them trailers though.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Portables were also massive mould magnets. Here in Canada there were stats showing that kids in portables were scoring lower than ones in regular classrooms and teachers were noting that they were feeling off. It wasn't until about 20 years after their widespread use that someone ripped open a wall and called the media.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I legitimately love that flooring though.

Related: I am in the process of buying a house that has a very amateurishly tiled black and white shower surround and I can't wait to show you guys the gout work on it. It got inspected today and I didn't get to go because I had to work but I told my husband to make sure the inspector checked the bathroom closely because I didn't trust whoever redid it. Apparently it's just sloppy, though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/4LFcU9c.mp4

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

What hath Jasmine Roth?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

and that is why we leave our I-beams the hell alone.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Blistex posted:

Portables were also massive mould magnets. Here in Canada there were stats showing that kids in portables were scoring lower than ones in regular classrooms and teachers were noting that they were feeling off. It wasn't until about 20 years after their widespread use that someone ripped open a wall and called the media.

We don’t have like, people who care about the health of children here, so no one has ever ripped any walls open. But for a moment I want you to imagine portables in south Florida, in the early nineties. Fields of the things. My elementary school covered an entire pair of baseball fields with portables. They were the WAY OF THE FUTURE (for school districts with poo poo for brains planners.)

I remember being able to see the air in the mornings when the sunlight would stream in through the blinds and highlight all the poo poo floating in the air currents from the hilariously overworked window unit air conditioner. It occurs to me now that we were in the midst of a fungal orgy.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Maybe it’s just the perspective of the garage camera, but it looks like that pool had a base of only a couple inches of concrete. I wonder how long it lasted. Like did they fill it that morning, or had it been a few weeks/months.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Fortunately no one went for a swim that day. Except the car.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Orvin posted:

Maybe it’s just the perspective of the garage camera, but it looks like that pool had a base of only a couple inches of concrete. I wonder how long it lasted. Like did they fill it that morning, or had it been a few weeks/months.

The first shot shows, I would guess, about a foot worth of floor between the bottom of the pool and the top of the ceiling of the lower floor. Clearly inadequate, whatever it was.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
We regret to inform our guests that effective immediately, the garage is for carpool use only.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

:getout:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
portables: the district here always built schools to exact student capacity, despite the fact that the population was growing rapidly, so almost every school had a few. at my high school, they sort of cherry-picked a few undesirables (in-school suspension, special ed, FFA, trigonometry) and put those teachers in portables.

I think they're not allowed to do that anymore (partly bc it would involve students going outside unsupervised)

also,

kastein posted:

We regret to inform our guests that effective immediately, the garage is for carpool use only.

lol

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Baby Boomers kids formed a Baby bump, a temporary increase in kids growing up in the 70s and 80s. Rather than build new schools for this "temporary" increase, schools built portables. Later there was over capacity in some areas when those kids grew up. Time to tear down the temporary portables? No, keep the portables and sell the excess schools.
:cripes:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Orvin posted:

I wonder how long it lasted. Like did they fill it that morning, or had it been a few weeks/months.

Finished 2018, collapsed March 2021

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

kastein posted:

i appreciate this a lot

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
From Reddit. "This pillar was straight last week. This is the first floor of a seven-floor building":

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Shortly to be every floor of the building

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Weird flex.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Yeaaaaah, even the few seconds to take that picture is too long, get the gently caress out immediately, go in person to county, and refuse to step foot in that building again until cleared by independent engineers

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

Yeaaaaah, even the few seconds to take that picture is too long, get the gently caress out immediately, go in person to county, and refuse to step foot in that building again until cleared by independent engineers

"No they fixed it!"

(Column has been removed.)

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

kid sinister posted:

From Reddit. "This pillar was straight last week. This is the first floor of a seven-floor building":

I remember learning about something like this in college. I wouldn’t go back in that building.

IIRC, They used round tube columns instead a rectangular tube columns.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.upi.com/amp/Archives/1981/10/23/Everybody-is-probably-shocked-and-thankful/7875372657600/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ruh roh

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

mds2 posted:

IIRC, They used round tube columns instead a rectangular tube columns.

That wouldn’t matter, any kind of column can buckle if the load on it is too big for its unbraced length (span in which it can move sideways freely) and its radius of gyration (the measure of how well the cross-sectional shape resists buckling based on how much area it has and how far away that area is from the center of the column). If they had the same unbraced length and the same radius of gyration, a square tube column and a round tube column will buckle under the same load

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

The Chairman posted:

That wouldn’t matter, any kind of column can buckle if the load on it is too big for its unbraced length (span in which it can move sideways freely) and its radius of gyration (the measure of how well the cross-sectional shape resists buckling based on how much area it has and how far away that area is from the center of the column). If they had the same unbraced length and the same radius of gyration, a square tube column and a round tube column will buckle under the same load

A square HSS has more steel area and strength for a given maximum dimension, so for example a 10x10x1/2 has a 17.2 square inch area, whereas the 10x1/2 circular is 13.9.

The square HSS also has a higher moment of inertia because more of its area is at the maximum distance from the center in each direction (since bending is across an axis perpendicular to the axial load), so it has much higher buckling strength. A circular column is worse at buckling because across any given bending axis only a small portion of its area is the full distance from the bending axis.

In this case, the 10x10x1/2 has 256 in^4 moment of inertia, and the round has 159 in^4. So the hypothetical column that's square HSS can be expected to be 50% stronger and 50% more resistive to elastic buckling.