Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So.. I went to start installing Nier and it errored out and isnt in my Steam library any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Shoehead posted:

So.. I went to start installing Nier and it errored out and isnt in my Steam library any more

uhhhhh same. entered my steam version CE key last night.

refreshed around noon, hit install, got an invalid platform error, restarted steam and now its gone.

Rupert of Hentzau
Nov 23, 2005
Victim of gross furniture discourtesy.
It looks like they've managed to bollocks up the config somehow and set it as a non-Windows game. If you go to the store page it'll still show as in your library, you just can't install it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cavia'd before you can even play, nice

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Shoehead posted:

Rupert of Hentzau posted:

It looks like they've managed to bollocks up the config somehow and set it as a non-Windows game. If you go to the store page it'll still show as in your library, you just can't install it.

Also that sucks.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Rupert of Hentzau posted:

Starting the install from the store page is working now.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Boogalo posted:

uhhhhh same. entered my steam version CE key last night.

refreshed around noon, hit install, got an invalid platform error, restarted steam and now its gone.

Find appcache/appinfo.vdf in your steam folders and delete it

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dongicus posted:

epic sad dads are boring give me raiden

Jokes on you Raiden turns into a sad dad.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Dongicus posted:

epic sad dads are boring give me raiden
Nier is more of a Mad Dad than a Sad Dad, IMO

that and he's probably the best example of the trope, given that he was a thing before it was a trope

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sad Dads and Bummer Brothers

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Papa Nier is the original Madsad Dad.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Sad Dads and Bummer Brothers

Please don’t spoil the next TAZ campaign.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Anyone know if the alt costumes are available from the start?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Surprising no one, this PC port is... kinda sloppy. I have to turn on my controller after I launch the game or it doesn't detect it (even if Steam says otherwise). There's also no Sony controller prompts.

Performance-wise it seems fine, though? I have an i5-7600, a GTX1070 and 16GB of RAM, and I maxed the graphical settings out and am getting above 60fps at 1080p.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
So... English or Japanese voices?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
English has Liam O’Brien hamming it up so there wasn’t much of a choice for me.

hatty fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 23, 2021

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

ymgve posted:

English Kaine gets to swear like a sailor, this shouldn't even be a question

hatty posted:

English has Liam O’Brian hamming it up so there wasn’t much of a choice for me.
also this

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mindblast posted:

Anyone know if the alt costumes are available from the start?

The yorha DLC ones are at least, in the settings on the title screen.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

pc port runs fine for me, it's rather light on the gpu where running at 4k60 with everything maxed gets the gpu to 43C

the controller scheme only being xbox is kinda weird these days, but i haven't had controller issues with a ds4 and steam handling it so far

there's free dlc for the yorha costumes as ya, you can choose them on the title screen

Veotax
May 16, 2006

ymgve posted:

The original version had some of the best English voice acting in gaming IMO, and so far this version is just as good (it helps that they got all the main cast back, except the protagonist).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i kinda like old man frankenstein nier a bit more even if they story works way better as a brother nier. like papa nier shouting about how "we are friends" with the excitement and body language of a teenager always makes me laugh.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I always wanted to play the game with Brother Nier, and even though I'm sad they toned down his crazy gravity-defying Kingdom Hearts hairgel I'm glad I don't have to suffer through PS3 emulators anymore.

Is the PC game broken beyond the 60 FPS thing? Because that's easily solvable in Nvidia drivers.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i kinda like old man frankenstein nier a bit more even if they story works way better as a brother nier. like papa nier shouting about how "we are friends" with the excitement and body language of a teenager always makes me laugh.

It ruled. :colbert:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I just restarted steam and now its downloading another 700 megs. Maybe it was the free costume.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it honestly works way better than it has any right to

Like, plucky teen boy Nier doing odd jobs for cash* and talking about friendship? Standard JRPG protag stuff. Grizzled Bear Dad Nier doing the same thing makes him come across as just a little bit goofy.

*ie: as a kid, of course he does odd jobs for cash, thats what teens do. Middle-age guy who's still doing the same (instead of working with the town guard or whatever) makes him seem like a little bit of an fuckup, but in an endearing way

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All sorts of people have to rely on the gig economy nowadays

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The infamous startup screen rant isn't there :smith:

I hope there's a mod that restores it as prior to Nier Automata it was the only thing I knew about the franchise and is a truly :psyduck: first thing to see when you start the game.

Any word on if the guy who made the Nier Automata mod that fixes up the PC version is going to do the same for Replicant?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Blaziken386 posted:

Middle-age guy who's still doing the same (instead of working with the town guard or whatever) makes him seem like a little bit of an fuckup, but in an endearing way

I always kind of liked that honestly. It was kind of like, everyone in the town feels bad for the guy but he's too proud to accept charity, so they just make up little jobs for him to do so they can help him out while saving face.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

axeil posted:

Replicant never had it to begin with. (edit: To clarify, the PS3 Gestalt and Replicant always had different opening cutscenes.)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

axeil posted:

I hope there's a mod that restores it as prior to Nier Automata it was the only thing I knew about the franchise and is a truly :psyduck: first thing to see when you start the game.

Any word on if the guy who made the Nier Automata mod that fixes up the PC version is going to do the same for Replicant?
Sit on the title screen for a while, it's there.
e:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHpQSfCZN-s

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Dad Nier may have been a marketing decision, but it still led to an interesting narrative experience and I'm a little bit sad to see him decanonized by the Official Version Upgrade. Gotta make the most of seeing him in 15 Nightmares :unsmith:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

i went over to talk to devola and the song's vocals stopped while we were chatting. that's when i knew Nier Automata 2 was going to be just as good as the first one

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Blaziken386 posted:

Nier is more of a Mad Dad than a Sad Dad, IMO

that and he's probably the best example of the trope, given that he was a thing before it was a trope

ur right

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Craptacular! posted:

I always wanted to play the game with Brother Nier, and even though I'm sad they toned down his crazy gravity-defying Kingdom Hearts hairgel I'm glad I don't have to suffer through PS3 emulators anymore.

Is the PC game broken beyond the 60 FPS thing? Because that's easily solvable in Nvidia drivers.

I haven't run into anything with it in my very short run so far. I already had SpecialK installed, and its frame limiter seems to be working fine fwiw. It def runs way too fast if you let it crank itself up to like 120fps otherwise.

Edit:
Digging around, it sounds like you can also use special k to turn off one of the input sources to combat perf issues and maybe also that controller disconnecting bug they talked about. Current issues and some suggested fixes documented here:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/nier-replicant-%E2%88%9A1-5-pc-performance-thread.414648/#post-63501585

Edit 2: the people in that thread are extremely stupid, so reference the op and maybe a few posts on the first page and ignore the rest, jesus.

jkyuusai fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 23, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nier Automata plot question (I finished the game and all endings a couple years ago but forget some things) - So I understand that people like Pascal's village were cut off from the machine network, allowing them to become individuals, but what exactly was up with the "regular" machines acting bizarrely? Is that just effectively behavior of the machine hive mind or what (though from what I understand the machine hive mind is the Red Girl/N2)? Also why exactly were Adam/Eve produced? Was that just intended as a hint as to YorHa being fundamentally the same as the machines? It's not clear to me why the "machine side" of the fake conflict engineered between the machines and YorHa (which is basically just machine vs machine) would suddenly produce its own advanced humanoid machines.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Nier Automata plot question (I finished the game and all endings a couple years ago but forget some things) - So I understand that people like Pascal's village were cut off from the machine network, allowing them to become individuals, but what exactly was up with the "regular" machines acting bizarrely? Is that just effectively behavior of the machine hive mind or what (though from what I understand the machine hive mind is the Red Girl/N2)? Also why exactly were Adam/Eve produced? Was that just intended as a hint as to YorHa being fundamentally the same as the machines? It's not clear to me why the "machine side" of the fake conflict engineered between the machines and YorHa (which is basically just machine vs machine) would suddenly produce its own advanced humanoid machines.

Nier Replicant spoilers:

A robot from Nier Replicant taught them how to love in a book that is canon, integral to the plot, and only available in Japan.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
https://twitter.com/NieRGame/status/1385641802955378689

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

English has Liam O’Brien hamming it up so there wasn’t much of a choice for me.

I was wondering why the book sounded so familiar, he's Illidan

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How safely can I completely skip all the fishing stuff in Replicant? I know you need all the weapons for all the endings, are any of them tied to side quests that involve fishing or require you to have fish? They don’t in the first half at least thank god

Like I can handle the fetch quest stuff and wandering all over the map a billion times but this is a bit too much for me especially when my most epic tangle yet was actually against a bucket

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So did anyone else not get their pre-order bonuses?

I want my mini-soundtrack...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

When people say you need to do certain things to unlock endings, is that basically just for secret content and bonus bosses or is it actual endings for the game? Like with Automata you could see the actual story just by playing linearly until ending E and only missed out on alternate endings or wacky secrets if you didn't go out of your way to unlock everything. Is it the same with Replicant?