Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
In the game of human chess, Larry Zybysko is the king. Rey mysterio is a bishop because that looks closest to a dart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/djexile27/status/1382724554083201029

posting my own tweet

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Flair, Backlund, and Lawler are all roughly the same age so when they were in the WWF in 1992, they were ~42.

Backlund was presented as an old guy, though. And Lawler was a part-timer.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

Backlund was presented as an old guy, though. And Lawler was a part-timer.

While true, when Backlund won the title in 1994 he was 45, beating Bret Hart who was 37 and dropping it to Kevin Nash who was 35. World Champions being in their 20s wasn't really a thing until the attitude era it feels like (even Shawn Michaels was 31 when he won the title in 1996). Also today most of the wrestlers aren't hard-partying, heavy drug-using types so their bodies hold up a lot better. 40 years old in the 90s looks a lot different from 40 years old in the 2020s.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

While true, when Backlund won the title in 1994 he was 45, beating Bret Hart who was 37 and dropping it to Kevin Nash who was 35. World Champions being in their 20s wasn't really a thing until the attitude era it feels like (even Shawn Michaels was 31 when he won the title in 1996). Also today most of the wrestlers aren't hard-partying, heavy drug-using types so their bodies hold up a lot better. 40 years old in the 90s looks a lot different from 40 years old in the 2020s.

I guess it's not as bad now as it was back then, but a lot of guys have died surprisingly early:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_premature_professional_wrestling_deaths

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Had not come across this before, Sting vs Vader from a 93 show in Dublin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn4l5vtDHb0

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Backlund was portrayed as old during his second run. I remember being really impressed how this old man lasted so long in the 93 Rumble.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Backlund was portrayed as old during his second run. I remember being really impressed how this old man lasted so long in the 93 Rumble.

It's kind of hilarious that his gimmick in the Hart feud was crazy old man who screams at the cloud. The fact that he made it work is impressive, it's a shame they couldn't at least give him 1 PPV to defend the title.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

iamsosmrt posted:

It's kind of hilarious that his gimmick in the Hart feud was crazy old man who screams at the cloud. The fact that he made it work is impressive, it's a shame they couldn't at least give him 1 PPV to defend the title.

I mean he didn't really, the two matches with Hart were pretty bad.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Backlund's heel gimmick was great but he was pretty meh to bad near the end of his first run for the title and he did not better with age

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Backlund's entire run was worth it for the crazy promos like "I FEEL LIKE... A GOD!" and screaming nonsense words.

Backlund's face stuff was generally terrible, because his style just didn't work with guys like Ramon, though he was clearly athletic and skilled. Plus, his "WHOA WHOA WHOA!" thing he did when he got hit or rolled out of the ring made zero sense for a face. Doing it when he was a crazy old man was perfect, though.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

To be fair, he laid on the ground outside the ring for a while. I thought he meshed with Flair really, really well, though.

MassRafTer posted:

The match he had with Bret where he snaps was really good, from what I recall, though I thought the ending was a little confusing. I also like the towel match, except for the Bulldog being brain dead, but I'm a mark for Bret. The 'I Quit' match was terrible, and pretty much every other match he had in his return was bad.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I NEVER HAVE EVER EATEN MARIJUANA

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Red posted:

Backlund's entire run was worth it for the crazy promos like "I FEEL LIKE... A GOD!" and screaming nonsense words.

Backlund's face stuff was generally terrible, because his style just didn't work with guys like Ramon, though he was clearly athletic and skilled. Plus, his "WHOA WHOA WHOA!" thing he did when he got hit or rolled out of the ring made zero sense for a face. Doing it when he was a crazy old man was perfect, though.

My friends and I loved Backlund at the time in what was probably an ironic way and we would just yell "WHOA WHOA WHOA" all of the time. He was a giant weirdo but for some reason captivating to 12 year-olds? When he snapped, it really was something interesting for us – here was this kind of boring old wrestler who wasn't flashy or exciting who suddenly loses his mind and turns into a maniac. We also totally bought the crossface chicken wing as a legit finisher and would use it on each other all the time when we wrestled.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Fair point, though I wasn't so much praising his match quality as much as the fact that he turned a random WWF Superstars appearance with Bret Hart into a world title push at all is way above 95% of that era's roster's accomplishments. They also did a pretty good job of turning the chickenwing crossface into a pretty big deal of a finisher, mostly because of how crazed he looked when he locked it in.

How many other "unbreakable" submission holds led to world titles before they were eventually broken?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I NEVER HAVE EVER EATEN MARIJUANA

I think about this every time I have an edible.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s kind of strange they don’t trot out Backlund every so often like they do with all living wrestlers who want to make a buck

Red
Apr 15, 2003

oldpainless posted:

It’s kind of strange they don’t trot out Backlund every so often like they do with all living wrestlers who want to make a buck

Didn’t he have a match with Heath Slater?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Last I remember was Make Darren Young Great Again which, yeah

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Red posted:

Didn’t he have a match with Heath Slater?

Man, did Heath Slater job to every legend? I know he was one of the last people to get any offence on Bret.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Maigius posted:

Man, did Heath Slater job to every legend? I know he was one of the last people to get any offence on Bret.

Heath had a reputation for being very safe and easy to work with.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Maigius posted:

In the lead up to the the 1000th episode of Raw he'd come out and cut a promo using a legend's catchphrase and then that legend would return and beat him up.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Weird thing that just occurred to me:

- 1983: Backlund drops the belt to Sheik
- 1984: Backlund moves down the card and eventually leaves
- '84-'91: Backlund works AWA, Japan, coaches amateur wrestling
- 1992: Returns to the WWF

Backlund was gone from the WWF for about 8 years, but the WWF (and the business) changed wildly when he came back. Look at WWE now, and think back to 8 years ago, or 2013. WrestleMania 29 included Rock/Cena, HHH/Lesnar, Del Rio/Swagger, UT/Punk, and Shield/Orton-Show-Sheamus. There was no women's match, but a lot of those bigger stars are pretty much done, and guys from the Shield graduated (even if one of them moved on) - but WWE hasn't really changed that much.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Seams posted:

In the lead up to the the 1000th episode of Raw he'd come out and cut a promo using a legend's catchphrase and then that legend would return and beat him up.

Yup, and it was loving awesome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNlQXoJ09KA

Slater was hilarious in this role, and the way he sold JBL's lariat is probably one of my favorite sells of all time. That said, as usual this angle didn't lead to any career advancement for Slater, but it was very enjoyable while it lasted.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Germansimp posted:

Slater was hilarious in this role, and the way he sold JBL's lariat is probably one of my favorite sells of all time. That said, as usual this angle didn't lead to any career advancement for Slater, but it was very enjoyable while it lasted.

lol there's nothing better than someone screaming "that's not funny!" at a bunch of people laughing at him, good instincts on him

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Germansimp posted:

Slater's niche was 'extremely good punching bag.' It is not a bad niche, but it is a niche. And it was his.

Heath Slater getting clowned on by legends is the best possible use of Heath Slater.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Beating the christ out of Heath Slater was a much better sendoff for Vader than his previous sendoff

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

DeathChicken posted:

Beating the christ out of Heath Slater was a much better sendoff for Vader than his previous sendoff

I still remember Vader kinda going "You remembered" after the pinfall. It was surprisingly poignant.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That’s what made Slater’s release so hosed up. He was a solid guy you could trust in the ring with delicate older wrestlers that could also still make them look like a million bucks. And he also made the most of the afterthought that was his tag team with Rhyno.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That’s what made Slater’s release so hosed up. He was a solid guy you could trust in the ring with delicate older wrestlers that could also still make them look like a million bucks. And he also made the most of the afterthought that was his tag team with Rhyno.

he's gonna win the WWE championship when he comes back to fulfill the prophecy of 3MB

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Slater getting trucked over and over and over at the '18 Rumble before finally being thrown in the ring by Sheamus just to then eliminate him was great.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

mongo :smith:

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1385629206084820999

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I haven't read this story because it's paywalled, but that picture :smith:

https://twitter.com/danwiederer/status/1385613450781630464

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

RC and Moon Pie posted:

If you use dev tools in your browser you can remove the div blocking the content. There's an interview with him there and in between getting heavy and being serious, he cracks some jokes like the Mongo of old.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

what a lovely way to die.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

WatermelonGun posted:

what a lovely way to die.

I've watched a few men die of ALS now.

It's a lovely way to die.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/MarcMero/status/1386293226915733504

:unsmith:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Last night I came across an ESPN feature on Mongo from 1991. His homelife is portrayed thusly:

Pepe is no surprise to WCW fans, but Mongo did not have any children in 1991. He just owned a Reptar RC toy for himself. Lived his best life and that's why he has no regrets.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H8NuYw0I-c

I love reading/watching stuff about Starrcade 97/98. It's amazing how this company built up big main event angles really well and then just screwed the pooch so spectacularly twice in two years at the same show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Seams posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H8NuYw0I-c

I love reading/watching stuff about Starrcade 97/98. It's amazing how this company built up big main event angles really well and then just screwed the pooch so spectacularly twice in two years at the same show.

Starrcade 98 had an absolutely horrendous build. They introduced Bam Bam Bigelow as a nemesis for Goldberg but were doing Nash vs Goldberg at Starrcade, so we got a bunch of really lame matches with no finishes because of it. Then you had the Flair heart attack angle during the Bischoff build and it was just awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn't they do the Flair heart attack angle twice? And the second time they had to really double-down because nobody believed it and they were just pissed off it was being attempted again?