Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
My coworker, who doesn't know a single thing about stocks, asked me on Friday if I had heard of SPACs. I responded with "yes, a little" and he proceeds to start telling me why I need to buy lots of shares of X, Y and Z.

Really gave me the "shoe shine boy giving stock tips" vibe... :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

My coworker, who doesn't know a single thing about stocks, asked me on Friday if I had heard of SPACs. I responded with "yes, a little" and he proceeds to start telling me why I need to buy lots of shares of X, Y and Z.

Really gave me the "shoe shine boy giving stock tips" vibe... :ohdear:

Everyone is the shoe shine boy now. After the GameStop stuff everyone wants in, until Wall Street breaks everyone it’s gonna be like that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Pretty sure I’m gonna go ahead and harvest my GIK loss and leave everything else in.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
AJAX up 2.5% on DA news they're merging with Cazoo.

These days a pop above $10.50 does seem tasty.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

AJAX up 2.5% on DA news they're merging with Cazoo.

These days a pop above $10.50 does seem tasty.

If a crappy deal like this had even a modest pop it makes me cautiously optimistic. Better than the string of DAs that immediately tanked that we've had

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

On r/PSTH, they post a new picture of Bill Ackman holding another unique footlong sub for every day until PSTH announces a DA. They are on Day 29.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Chad Sexington posted:

On r/PSTH, they post a new picture of Bill Ackman holding another unique footlong sub for every day until PSTH announces a DA. They are on Day 29.

I like collaborative art

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
What are some good buys at the moment? Beyond just "anything close to NAV"

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
BITE just announced that they’re splitting units starting April 5. Do I need to wait til then before calling my broker, or can I call in advance so that the process begins asap?

Does anyone have experience getting Schwab to split units?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

iirc schwab charges a fee for splitting units. might be worth considering transferring your holding to a brokerage that doesn't before splitting

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Power Walrus posted:

BITE just announced that they’re splitting units starting April 5. Do I need to wait til then before calling my broker, or can I call in advance so that the process begins asap?

Does anyone have experience getting Schwab to split units?

I think you have to wait until the split. At least with Fidelity, even if you call a day or two after the split date, the actual split won't happen right away and they may just have to put in instructions to execute later.

And yes, Schwab charges. That's why I moved to Fidelity.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks! Yeah I think it’s $39 for the split at Schwab.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

Shear Modulus posted:

iirc schwab charges a fee for splitting units. might be worth considering transferring your holding to a brokerage that doesn't before splitting

It cost $50 to move stuff out.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

DoubleT2172 posted:

Down 6.5% on 400 shares each of SPAQ.U and SRNGU now which I basically thought wasn't possible due to the intrinsic price floor so this is a fun journey lol

I bought GRAMF cuz a goon told me these things have a price floor and like, weed + spacs!

poo poo has been hovering just above $7 for a couple weeks now.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

splifyphus posted:

I bought GRAMF cuz a goon told me these things have a price floor and like, weed + spacs!

poo poo has been hovering just above $7 for a couple weeks now.

The price floor only applies up until the merger, which already happened for GRAMF. After that it's not a spac anymore, it's just a regular stock that can go to $0

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Also the floor only really exists if you hold until the merge vote and actually vote to get the $10 for your shares. They sure as hell can sell for 9.95 to someone that wants to make $0.05 a share. Again going up to the vote. After the vote that ship has sailed.

It doesn't matter if the vote passes or not you don't even have to cast a vote to merge. You can just check the box "I want my money"

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Jose Valasquez posted:

The price floor only applies up until the merger, which already happened for GRAMF. After that it's not a spac anymore, it's just a regular stock that can go to $0

lol

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Finally getting some upwards movement on IPOE again. Looks like some people are expecting the vote/merger to happen tomorrow?

This random guy thinks it should be valued close to $24.
https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/why-the-social-finance-merger-deal-with-ipoe-stock-looks-undervalued-2021-03-26

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 9, 2021

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-09/ginkgo-bioworks-said-to-explore-over-20-billion-sloan-spac-deal

and I had the dumb luck to liquidate a bunch of positions yesterday and buy 10000 units at 10.20. :stare:

I'm more lucky than good.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014

FistEnergy posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-09/ginkgo-bioworks-said-to-explore-over-20-billion-sloan-spac-deal

and I had the dumb luck to liquidate a bunch of positions yesterday and buy 10000 units at 10.20. :stare:

I'm more lucky than good.

Nice work man!

SRNGU is the largest of my admittedly small positions - 330 @ 10.36. Really wish I’d averaged down.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
I wondered why I got that email while I was sleeping this morning about high volume in SRNGU, that's cool. It's 20% of my positions.

Unfortunately 20% of my positions is only $600 lol.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ASTS, formerly known as NPA, is eating poo poo like crazy lol

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Shear Modulus posted:

ASTS, formerly known as NPA, is eating poo poo like crazy lol

I'm in that one longterm. I don't think it'll do poo poo until BW3 goes up.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

GrandmaParty posted:

I'm in that one longterm. I don't think it'll do poo poo until BW3 goes up.

I cannot read this and think anything except Buffalo Wild Wings

and ASTS holders are now discussing calling their brokers to make sure their shares are not available for shorting. yes, exactly like gme.

:yikes:

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 9, 2021

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
ASTS 10p were $0.10 2 days ago. Options are there for a reason if you’re going to be obsessing about every price tick.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

All my long-term-in-before-split plays are officially split. I kind of just want to sell all the warrants now to claw some money back but I will instead continue to try to be patient.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
If you've been flat or red since February, just remember it could always be Worse:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SPACs/comments/mrlxt1/portfolio_obliteration_support_group_20/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

lmao

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 16, 2021

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
LOL now THCB is scrambling to get enough people to vote for the extension so it can merge with Microvast. But so far they don't have enough and there's a chance the extension will not pass. You had to have owned the shares on March 17 in order to vote in the extension, but there are probably tons of shares that have been sold since that date in the big SPAC selloff and those old owners sure don't give a gently caress enough to bother voting.

I only have 100 warrants left but those are probably going to 0 soon.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I'm watching GIK and THCB with a lot of morbid fascination. Both SPAC teams have done a terrible job, and now the mergers are at real risk.

I feel bad for holders but I believe it would be healthier for the market to have a couple of the worst offenders fail spectacularly. For a year now, SPAC promoters have brought whatever the hell they can get their hands on to the market, not caring about what happens after the merger because they're getting paid. They need to be checked until they start delivering quality targets and deals. I say rip the drat bandaid off.

:colbert:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
PSA: HERAU (new Betsy Coen 850m SPAC) splits on Monday with 1/4 warrant per unit. It's trading at 10.02 right now. I just bought 10000 units. It's the safest bet on the board right now and is almost guaranteed profit barring the sudden end of civilization.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
at this point i'm just waiting for my spcx to go back to green so i can sell it all and buy voo instead, gently caress this bullshit

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

what do you guys think of IPOF?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I'm interested but not at 10.70

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

PawParole posted:

what do you guys think of IPOF?

It's got a high premium and an unannounced target. Chamath's a hype man so it'll run pretty hard when it does.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

FYI if anyone's holding TWCT, Celebrite, the Israeli phone hacking company they're merging with, is now in a spat with Signal where Signal seems to have owned their hacking software.

https://twitter.com/signalapp/status/1384906127360548869?s=20

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Shear Modulus posted:

FYI if anyone's holding TWCT, Celebrite, the Israeli phone hacking company they're merging with, is now in a spat with Signal where Signal seems to have owned their hacking software.

https://twitter.com/signalapp/status/1384906127360548869?s=20

Rip, dumped that when the DA moved the price exactly 0.00 dollars.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
THCB merge vote failed. So they've adjourned the meeting until May 10th. Some people think the whole thing is now hosed because the deadline is Friday and they don't have the votes. Others think there is a clause in the adjournment release that will let the board buy public shares to reduce the float and brute force the percentage to 65% "yes".

I bought some cheap May 21 12.50 calls. Gambling is fun.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
It's a total mess, just like THCB has been since the beginning when they were looking for a weed merger. The SPAC team is a joke. Total stay-away imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Hahaha spacs are so dumb:

"According to Article Sixth, as of May 1, 2021,the vote required for approval of the Extension Amendment Proposal will be reduced from 65% of the shares outstanding to a majority of the shares outstanding on the record date."

So I guess it passes because they say it does. Hopefully my calls will be profitable tomorrow.