Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Literally skyliner from there to everywhere but animal kingdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
No personal experience but the Swan and Dolphin busses are no longer Disney busses. I've heard that the service is pretty poor and it's faster to walk to Beach Club or Boardwalk to catch a Disney bus.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Zero One posted:

No personal experience but the Swan and Dolphin busses are no longer Disney busses. I've heard that the service is pretty poor and it's faster to walk to Beach Club or Boardwalk to catch a Disney bus.

Oh poo poo I wasn't aware of that. I know the boats were still stopping there a month ago, didn't realize buses got the axe. I think that tips the scales a bit in favor of a car

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

#1 - I didn't think the Skyliner got to the Magic Kingdom? Agreed that it's great to Hollywood Studios though.

#2 - Yea, the buses are no longer disney at Swan/Dolphin. So if you take them, it goes to Transportation and Ticket Hub for Magic Kingdom. Obviously Zero One is right though, we could just walk to Yacht club and take theirs.

#3 - Our biggest concern is absolutely getting from airport to resort, and to some of the resorts (we have reservations at Sanaa and Kona Cafe). I don't think we'd consider the expense of a rental, but we are staying at the Swan on points, and our tickets were paid for by work as a bonus. Our overall expense so far is just airplane tickets.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

couldcareless posted:

Oh poo poo I wasn't aware of that. I know the boats were still stopping there a month ago, didn't realize buses got the axe. I think that tips the scales a bit in favor of a car

There are busses but they are a third party hired by Swan/Dolphin. And the reviews I saw were not good. I'm not certain but I think they have to use the non-Disney bus stops at the parks too. Edit: yeah... Confirmed above.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

No Skyliner to MK.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I really hope that's just a budget cut change that will revert back. That's going to seriously impact the value of the swan/dolphin resorts which is a shame because they are very nice.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I'd definitely consider the car in your case. We stayed at Boardwalk with a two-year-old and had a couple close calls between nap meltdowns and working transportation out. Staying off buses/monorails would also slightly decrease potential covid exposure a little. Plus it'll be easier to get off property to grab groceries (or, god forbid, get a meal off property).

Also having a car is one more arrow in your quiver to get a toddler to go to sleep. Our then-two year old was pretty wired and just wanted to stay up all night, so doing laps around a parking lot probably would've been a godsend some of those nights.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

couldcareless posted:

I really hope that's just a budget cut change that will revert back. That's going to seriously impact the value of the swan/dolphin resorts which is a shame because they are very nice.

They are probably devoting more busses to disney resorts and park hopping due to the reduced capacity of busses to maintain six feet on busses. So Swan and Dolphin losses out right now.

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
Stayed at Swan and Dolphin in September 2019. The busses were Disney busses but still terrible. Completely unreliable, they also started operating later in the day then other resorts so no rope dropping. At one point, we waited 40 minutes for a MK bus so we could get to a reservation at the California Grill. When we asked, they suggested we take an uber. This was consistent service over the three nights we were there. So I can't see how it would be much worse.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Yep, and it's not being removed wholesale like Trader Sam, it's being replaced with the same scene/visual gag, but the characters on the pole will now all be Jungle Cruise tourists and their skipper.

I like that, and it actually makes more sense in context.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A slimmed down version of Lion King is opening next month.

https://twitter.com/wdwmagic/status/1384179712138776590?s=21

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

We spent the last 3 days at universal, it was her first time going, and I've gone a bunch of times. Things seemed to be as well handles as expected for covid times (including the team member with bullhorns reminding people who weren't masking up to do so), and the crowds were pretty bearable. The elevator part of the queue for gringotts was understandably not running, but the show at Ollivanders was a per group thing instead of a large party. They handed out sanitizer before every ride, and made sure you were social distancing in the lines. It was my first time on Hagrids, and it was pretty great all in all. Not being able to sit at any of the bars kinda sucked as did the full social distancing for all sit down dining, but I understand that. We'll probably go back after velocicoaster opens, and just avoid that area entirely.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Hagrid's is amazing. IOA already has a killer lineup of rides even without Velocicoaster.

And yet there is so much unused space there. They need to re-open Poseidon's Fury or replace it. Def need to replace Sinbad. The Lost Continent is such a neat idea for a theme, I hope they do more there. Toon Lagoon has two good rides... but only if you want to get wet. And even then it feels all around dated. There is such a big stretch of nothing until you get to Super Hero Island.

UO also has a lot of stuff lying fallow and rides that could be replaced tomorrow without one tear shed.

Why are they building a third gate when the two existing gates have so much unused space?!?!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Skyliner best thrill ride 2021

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN_LnR1hQDi/?igshid=1mk8k6sdn018l

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If they're.hitting each other in the station then they don't have enough/good enough liftees. It's not unusual to have to manually hold them back and stop them.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

If they're.hitting each other in the station then they don't have enough/good enough liftees. It's not unusual to have to manually hold them back and stop them.

how long til someone is the glass instead of the glass being the glass and wdw guests get to watch yet another cast member get smashed

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It's OK, everyone will be robots by then:

https://twitter.com/panzer/status/1385596388482813953

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1385581448363716608?s=21

:magemage:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

God dammit Zero One I was just coming here to post that. We're laughing at it in the Trumplol thread. This crosseyed fat gently caress is really a massive piece of poo poo:

quote:

My family and I have been loyal Disney customers for decades. We vacation at Disney World every year. We take a Disney cruise every year or two. Consequently, we spend way too much money in Orlando.

Unfortunately, I am strongly rethinking our commitment to Disney and, thus, Orlando. The more Disney moves away from the values and vision of Walt Disney, the less Disney World means to me. Disney is forgetting that guest immersion is at the core of its business model. When I stand in Galaxy’s Edge or Fantasyland, I know I am in a theme park but through immersion and my willingness to set the real world aside, something magical happens.

That spell is broken when the immersive experience is shattered by the real world. And boy, has Disney been breaking the immersion.

Recently, Disney announced that cast members are now permitted to display tattoos, wear inclusive uniforms and display inclusive haircuts. Disney did all of this in the name of allowing cast members to express themselves.

The problem is, I’m not traveling across the country and paying thousands of dollars to watch someone I do not know express themselves. I am there for the immersion and the fantasy, not the reality of a stranger’s self-expression. I do not begrudge these people their individuality and I wish them well in their personal lives, but I do not get to express my individuality at my place of business.

What’s next, is Disney going to end the rule barring on stage cellphone use by cast members as an infringement on self-expression.

More broadly, like many corporations, Disney has been politicizing its business. Full disclosure: I am a Christian and a conservative Republican, so the people who run Disney and I do not see eye to eye.

Regardless, corporations have always made politically motivated decisions. Usually, it is due to the desire to make a profit, but sometimes it is due to the values of the people in the corporation. Walt Disney used his corporation to express his patriotism during World War II and his pro-capitalism beliefs afterward. The difference today is that the people who run Disney use social media to scream to the whole world that a decision has been made for political reasons.

Disney is in the process of taking the woke scalpel to the Jungle Cruise. Trader Sam is out because he might offend certain people. Every grown-up in the room realizes that Trader Sam is not a representation of reality and is meant as a funny and silly caricature. It is no more based in racism than every Disney caricature of an out-of-touch white American dad.

The next time I ride Jungle Cruise I will not be thinking about the gloriously entertaining puns of the skippers, I will be thinking about Disney’s political agenda. That’s a mood killer.

Disney proclaims that Splash Mountain must change because of its association with “Song of the South.” Disney owns Splash Mountain so it can do what it wants. But if Disney screams at the top of its corporate voice, which is pretty loud, that it is changing it to appease a certain political point of view, now every time I look at the ride I am thinking about politics.

The same with Pirates of the Caribbean. Disney has made significant changes to Pirates of the Caribbean over the years. Whether Disney caved to political pressure or really thought the alterations were necessary is irrelevant.

Pirates used to be one of my favorite attractions. My family would always ride it first on our first day at the Magic Kingdom. Now, we do not even ride it every trip. When my family rides Pirates now, each of the changed scenes takes us out of the illusion because they remind us of reality and the politics that forced the changes.

Disney World is going to lose us as customers if it continues down this path. I do not want to have Disney World taken away from us because Disney cares more about politics than happy guests.

This should matter to the people of Orlando because, if Disney drives away customers like me, Orlando loses money. I can take my tourist dollars elsewhere. I would rather keep spending them in Orlando but people like me feel more and more excluded by Disney’s decisions.

The parks are less fun because immersion and thus the joy is taking a back seat to politics.

Disney, please return to the values and vision of Walt. The customer experience should be the core of your business model. Immersion should not be sacrificed on the altar of political correctness and appeasing the Twitter mob.

Jonathan VanBoskerck lives in North Las Vegas, Nevada.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Didn't Walt want to make a shitload of money? Those are his values, dude.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

What's the deal with the resort hotels right now? I'm considering an early December trip and there isn't much availability. Is that because everything is actually booked or have they just not released more rooms for reservations that far out because of covid?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Not every resort is open. Plus I think people are like starved for Disney so the end of the year may be pretty filled up.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Wait a second. Has Silly Burrito always had a mod star? Do I need to start being polite?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Grundulum posted:

Wait a second. Has Silly Burrito always had a mod star? Do I need to start being polite?

Braksgirl doesn't so you don't have to either. ;)

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Silly Burrito posted:

Braksgirl doesn't so you don't have to either. ;)

Shut up.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I rest my case, your honor.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Orlando Sentinel really sucks rear end.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Hazo posted:

God dammit Zero One I was just coming here to post that. We're laughing at it in the Trumplol thread. This crosseyed fat gently caress is really a massive piece of poo poo:

quote:

This should matter to the people of Orlando because, if Disney drives away customers like me, Orlando loses money. I can take my tourist dollars elsewhere. I would rather keep spending them in Orlando but people like me feel more and more excluded by Disney’s decisions.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but the unspoken assumption of "only people like me, Christian conservative white men, can bring prosperity to Orlando" is loving amazing.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Braksgirl posted:

Not every resort is open. Plus I think people are like starved for Disney so the end of the year may be pretty filled up.

Are the ones that are open at reduced capacity?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Jose Valasquez posted:

Are the ones that are open at reduced capacity?

Yes.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/1385636346086240265

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
my friends texted me that dumb oped, twitter won’t shut up about it, and it’s here too

god drat it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dren posted:

my friends texted me that dumb oped, twitter won’t shut up about it, and it’s here too

god drat it

The sentinel is garbage enough to endorse biden but publish these CHUD opeds all the drat time for the clicks. Just an awful paper.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Lol when James Gunn is calling you an idiot

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1385629975932375043

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He doesn’t see his problem because he’s not looking at it correctly

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Dren posted:

god drat it

I mean good, he deserves to be widely mocked for such a colossally stupid and racist take. Part of me wonders if the Sentinel knew what a dumb column it was and published it just to get views.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

CelticPredator posted:

He doesn’t see his problem because he’s not looking at it correctly

:drat:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Hazo posted:

I mean good, he deserves to be widely mocked for such a colossally stupid and racist take. Part of me wonders if the Sentinel knew what a dumb column it was and published it just to get views.

that’s exactly what they did

what is even the point of mocking this man with the comically bad take, the take so bad it is indistinguishable from a troll

everybody is so thirsty to get a dunk in

Dren fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Looks like we found twitter's main character of the day and just so happened to also be distwitter's main character of the day.

Just saw that this fella who recently went viral with his tiktoks is also dunking on the Op-Ed
https://twitter.com/ScottSeiss/status/1385670348901961731

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 24, 2021