Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I'm firmly in the camp that the best adaptations take ideas from the source and do something different and I think this show is doing a great job with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I liked the way they played the scene with Rudy (Robot?) putting his original out of his misery. Would've been so easy to have him go to immediate Prestige murder for cheap shock, but instead they wrote character.

Sad to lose Zachary Quinto's creepy voice though. New guy sounded super familiar to me and it was making me go nuts, but apparently it's just some guy from the mid-late Walking Dead?

Gotta admit, the Lincoln reveal whizzed past me, I initially assumed the implication was that Immortal was the assassin! Seems like a LOT of people missed it completely.

We saw the kaiju in a previous ep, right? I swear they set it up, but I can't remember.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
My only real complaint about the show is that it's not as funny as the comic was. I get most of that is down to how many events have been moved forward or changed, but I'm really missing the more satirical elements of the early issues.

Oh and I hate Robot's new voice.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

VagueRant posted:

We saw the kaiju in a previous ep, right? I swear they set it up, but I can't remember.

Yeah, they showed Nolan fighting it on the news in a previous ep

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yo that ep was loving sick

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

One thing I couldn’t help compare with the Boys was the invisible wetworks team in the Grayson house and how it mirrored the cabin scene with Homelander and the dispatch team he dealt with.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

JT Smiley posted:

VagueRant posted:

Sad to lose Zachary Quinto's creepy voice though. New guy sounded super familiar to me and it was making me go nuts, but apparently it's just some guy from the mid-late Walking Dead?

Gotta admit, the Lincoln reveal whizzed past me, I initially assumed the implication was that Immortal was the assassin! Seems like a LOT of people missed it completely.

Yup, new Robot's voice suuuucks, just super flat and boring (and not in a way that feels like the actor's doing it on purpose because he's been a bottle boy for so long). I actually didn't realize it was Zachary Quinto on the original Robot voice, and I moused over for the Amazon X-Ray thing and it showed Zach Quinto as Robot(!) and further on down the list Some Guy I Don't Recognize as Rudy(who?), and I kept thinking how weird it was that Quinto sounded so dull.

But otherwise omg that was an amazing episode. I couldn't believe they kept up the action scenes the whole time, I thought that stuff was too expensive to do so much of it. Felt like we were getting spoiled when Mary showed up, and then Rage-Mode Abe Lincoln was just ridiculous. They say he fought a bear, you know.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ruddiger posted:

One thing I couldn’t help compare with the Boys was the invisible wetworks team in the Grayson house and how it mirrored the cabin scene with Homelander and the dispatch team he dealt with.

I was thinking the same thing :hfive:

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also mainstream superhero comics back in the day used to constantly suffer from "sitcom syndrome"

MiddleOne posted:

Someone has never suffered through a CW show.

That's my point though, Invincible seems to be radically opposed to the idea the world isn't going to change much in a universe filled with Superman/Sayian Knock off who can destroy cities on a whim and super geninuses who can make gravity beg like a dog. Look at how fast this series moves in just one season; a lot of time has passed

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Anyone else get some serious Akira vibes in this episode? The ion cannon firing and getting trashed, Robot being this freaky baby mutant, just everything going bonkers with Omniman, that whole vibe?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Yup, new Robot's voice suuuucks, just super flat and boring (and not in a way that feels like the actor's doing it on purpose because he's been a bottle boy for so long).

I suspect it's purposeful, given that Ross Marquand also plays The Imortal (and the Aquaman knockoff too).

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Even that doesn't make sense, though, because it's not like he's been secluded or anything, and he's shown he knows how to use, like, inflection and stuff when he was talking through the Robot suit. They really should have kept the original actor.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Even that doesn't make sense, though, because it's not like he's been secluded or anything, and he's shown he knows how to use, like, inflection and stuff when he was talking through the Robot suit. They really should have kept the original actor.

Well, no, but my point is that I doubt it's down the voice actor.

I suspect the plan is to modulate the performance over time, to compliment the character's arc.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

He’s using the vocal cords of Rex’s body so if anything it should be rex’s voice actor, but this is prepubescent Rex so I thought he did a good job of sounding like it :shrug:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I'm just happy we somehow dodged the bullet of 2 Jason Mantzoukases, one trying to do a preteen voice. That would have been a loving nightmare

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Does Rudy have Rex's powers now since it's a cloned body?

Did the Mauler Twins take some of Immortal's DNA to make new clone bodies for themselves? Seems like they should have as it would probably be a huge upgrade.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 24, 2021

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Good Citizen posted:

I'm just happy we somehow dodged the bullet of 2 Jason Mantzoukases, one trying to do a preteen voice. That would have been a loving nightmare
His is the only voice right now that pulls me out of the show. JK Simmons nearly does but he sounds so good I don't mind.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

JT Smiley posted:

My only real complaint about the show is that it's not as funny as the comic was. I get most of that is down to how many events have been moved forward or changed, but I'm really missing the more satirical elements of the early issues.

Yeah, one of my favorite gags from the comic is that Damien Darkblood is a actually a joke character. He is an ancient demon that doesn't use modern technology, so he shows up to reveal that Nolan was the killer after the entire world already knew for weeks. I prefer that over the lame attempt at a mystery plot the show did.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Does Rudy have Rex's powers now since it's a cloned body?

Did the Mauler Twins take some of Immortal's DNA to make new clone bodies for themselves? Seems like they should have as it would probably be a huge upgrade.

The other thing is they made a big point out of how Robot's brain was abnormal and was super dense (hence his superintelligence) but if the mind-transfer was to Rex DNA does that mean that Robot isn't as smart now as he used to be? I guess as long as he already has the technology it may not matter much, but it seemed like that'd be a thing.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I absolutely love the explanation that the Mauler cloning machine intentionally blurs together the minds of both so they truly don't know which is the original or the clone. Improves the Maulers in the whole comic run and the show.

The scene with Robot saying goodbye to his original body was really touching and shows the true sacrifice he made to make a better life. It's a throwaway line in the books but it has an impact here. Monster Girl realising that he did it for her was way better than him having to spell it out

Every scene in this episode was an improvement on the books. Kirkman said he is treating this show as a second draft of the comics and this episode proved it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I'm firmly in the camp that the best adaptations take ideas from the source and do something different and I think this show is doing a great job with that.

I've heard this is what happened with the Expanse. The writers of the books are writers on the show, so they took oppertunites to change things, expand characters roles, flesh more stuff out.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Since a bunch of people here never read the comic and next week is the last episode of the season, I wanted to mention that up through issue 53 is currently free on comixology unlimited (linked to amazon) and the rest of the series is discounted because of the show.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
That episode was some no-joke edge-of-my-seat poo poo, and I've actually read the original comic run years ago, for a few volumes most def.

This feels like a solid reimagining without being obvious or hokey. Totally can't wait for the finale!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Every Omni-man scene since episode one has been dripping with tension but this episode blew all that away, just fantastic.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

That's my point though, Invincible seems to be radically opposed to the idea the world isn't going to change much in a universe filled with Superman/Sayian Knock off who can destroy cities on a whim and super geninuses who can make gravity beg like a dog. Look at how fast this series moves in just one season; a lot of time has passed

I liked that it's heavily implied the world was super stagnant until the events of the first episode and that things are now heavily accelerating off-course.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I really like the show. Looking forward to the finale. I am sure it will end on a cliffhanger. :gonk:

One thing that keeps happening in superhero shows that I will never understand is why grunts, especially those who should know better, try to engage demigods with guns. Even after they have seen in person that they are totally ineffectual. I think their leadership must be lying to them: 'Okay squad, I want you to take care of Omni-Man/Homelander. Don't worry, the bullets we have given to you are Omni-Man/Homelander killing bullets. We swear!' *fingerscrossedbehindtheback*

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

some general thoughts thus far:

- i don't know about the rest of you, but j.k. simmons has permanently been etched in my mind as the nazi rapist from oz, so seeing him in literally any other role is almost impossible for me. ESPECIALLY when he's playing a good guy. or 'good' guy in this case.
- the power scaling in this show's kind of weird. the cyborgs were waaaay more powerful than i figured. mark isn't as strong as his dad, but it was surprising to see how much trouble he was having. same with omni man even though he did wind up eventually beating them. i mean, this is a guy who went through a space station sized satellite as if it was paper. why would someone like that have trouble with cyborgs?
- not a huge deal but cecil said they removed all the pain receptors from the kaiju thing. so why was it screaming in agony when mark electrocuted it?
- as far as the immortal/abraham lincoln thing, did it imply that he 'died' after JWB killed him and came back? or was he just pretending to die?

i hope they bring him back cause it would seem like a waste to have him revived only for omniman to kill him again within 5 minutes

- speaking of which, this show is BRUTAL. i was expecting some heightened level of violence, but it significantly more vicious than i thought it'd be. and i hear the comics are somehow even worse :monocle:
- the animation budget for this show must be insane. not just cause of all the crazy long fight scenes but cause each episode is an hour to boot.

Tarquinn posted:

I really like the show. Looking forward to the finale. I am sure it will end on a cliffhanger. :gonk:

One thing that keeps happening in superhero shows that I will never understand is why grunts, especially those who should know better, try to engage demigods with guns. Even after they have seen in person that they are totally ineffectual. I think their leadership must be lying to them: 'Okay squad, I want you to take care of Omni-Man/Homelander. Don't worry, the bullets we have given to you are Omni-Man/Homelander killing bullets. We swear!' *fingerscrossedbehindtheback*

i'm glad someone else mentioned this, cause i thought it might be nitpicky. but yeah, it makes no drat sense. like, what the hell did you EXPECT you were gonna do? the first 500 bullets didn't even scratch him, but i'm sure if you stick around a while longer, you'd totally take him out. :lol:

NutritiousSnack posted:

I hate the Amber storyline honestly I know it's a high school relationship, but even in the flow of the show it feels like filler. Her [i[reaction[/i] is fine, but it should be over being duped; her knowing and getting mad he went to cape when a cyborg was destroying the campus is literally insane considering how soon he comes clean right after that. What in the gently caress did she expect? Him to just call the cops while his friend was killed? Why even tentatively get back with him in the first place when he hasn't come clean, if you're that angry and think he doesn't want to come forward. Seems like they wanted to fully subvert a trope and didn't think it through.

totally agreed. it definitely sounds like they wanted to subvert a trope by thinking about what they wanted her to do/trick the audience, and the worked backwards from there. thought it was incredibly lame and non-sensical.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tarquinn posted:

One thing that keeps happening in superhero shows that I will never understand is why grunts, especially those who should know better, try to engage demigods with guns. Even after they have seen in person that they are totally ineffectual. I think their leadership must be lying to them: 'Okay squad, I want you to take care of Omni-Man/Homelander. Don't worry, the bullets we have given to you are Omni-Man/Homelander killing bullets. We swear!'a1*
@ *fingerscrossedbehindtheback*

I always chalked it up to the same stupidity that has f-tier marvel supervillians robbing banks in downtown Manhattan instead of travelling to Miami to do battle with the likes of Florida man.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

- speaking of which, this show is BRUTAL. i was expecting some heightened level of violence, but it significantly more vicious than i thought it'd be. and i hear the comics are somehow even worse :monocle:

The show is actually probably more violent than the comic so far

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I loved how single minded Immortal was when he woke.

why didnt he do that with jefferson davis

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Mr Interweb posted:

- the power scaling in this show's kind of weird. the cyborgs were waaaay more powerful than i figured. mark isn't as strong as his dad, but it was surprising to see how much trouble he was having. same with omni man even though he did wind up eventually beating them. i mean, this is a guy who went through a space station sized satellite as if it was paper. why would someone like that have trouble with cyborgs?

There was a line in the previous episode where Cecil said something about how impressive it was that the guy who made the cyborgs did it in a sewer with no budget, so I think the implication is that the new cyborgs are what he can do with the best equipment Cecil has

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Good Citizen posted:

Since a bunch of people here never read the comic and next week is the last episode of the season, I wanted to mention that up through issue 53 is currently free on comixology unlimited (linked to amazon) and the rest of the series is discounted because of the show.

Seconding this so everyone sees it, after the first two episodes I went and read all the comics on Comixology and it was great ride.

Also the show has been different enough to warrant continuing to watch it as well.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Holy poo poo, what an episode

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
lolling at the straight up Akira SOL scene reference. Even when I saw it coming the shot of the satellite threw me for how completely similar it looked.

I feel like they spent a sort of unreasonable amount of time flying around the octopus monster’s mouth instead of, IDK, using their super speed to fly away.

Oh also RIP (Book Spoiler): agent Colton. Who will comfort Rick about being a cyborg now?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tarquinn posted:

One thing that keeps happening in superhero shows that I will never understand is why grunts, especially those who should know better, try to engage demigods with guns.

It's pretty much a trope but that makes it even funnier when one of them goes "I'm not paid enough for this, bye!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMd4S-LkywI

NutritiousSnack posted:

Yeah the superhero genre isn't really speculative fiction, it's power fantasy fiction that evolved from pulp fiction/westerns where a lone hero had to take matters into his own hands and enact vigilante justice. They were pretty much always about preserving order rather than advancing society, they're deeply conservative at their core if you really drill down into them. (The MCU has really struggled with this in recent years but that's a whole other discussion ....)
Of course that was before guys like Alan Moore addressed the issue directly and dragged it all out into the open. There's still a lot of "old fashioned" superhero comics around but the scene as a whole is quite different these days.

E: Atom Eve's whole "I've saved more lives these past three weeks than I did in three whole years with the Teen Team" speech is also a good critique of the genre

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 24, 2021

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

imo the power scaling mostly feels weird because of how they're treating Nolan - he's largely doing all the stuff he does in the comics but appears to actually be somewhat affected or challenged by a bunch of stuff that his comic equivalent found trivial

in the comics the Reanimen were surprisingly strong and had a very good showing against Invincible at this stage in his career

the show is obviously doing its own thing and I can see a few different ways this approach might work out, but there's definitely some funkiness b/c of how the original plot related to Nolan's power level vs. the deliberate decision to show him as limited/vulnerable in this adaptation

vvvv I rephrased things a bit, but it seems odd to characterize discussion of things that have already happened in the show vis a vis their execution in the original comics as "spoilers" vvvv

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 25, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

This post is full of comics spoilers and you should fix that.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 24, 2021

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Caros posted:

I always chalked it up to the same stupidity that has f-tier marvel supervillians robbing banks in downtown Manhattan instead of travelling to Miami to do battle with the likes of Florida man.

Two theories here. One is the 'criminally insane' variety out of Gotham and Central City who simply lack the self regulation to know how unlikely their success will be (or, like Joker, Megamind, etc just seem to enjoy the conflict for its own sake). The other is that even F tier supervillains can often put up a North Hollywood Shootout level of opposition against conventional forces at the very least, and if there's lots of villains but only so many heroes then they can gamble on successfull heists (for the sake of plot even good superheroes are facing an uphill battle in stopping all this stuff, Batman can only be in so many places at once). Also, crooks are going to be where the money is. The banks that store big bags of gold coins aren't setting up in Tampa, they're going to be in Metropolis where godlike superheroes are more likely to protect it. So of course the villains are going to be there too.

Tarquinn posted:

In the case of mooks, I think it's an act of desperation because they are certainly not going to outrun their adversary. From a story perspective it helps establish power levels to have mooks at least try to fight back and it also is a chance to show how courageous unpowered characters can be in the face of impossible odds. Remember in Man of Steel when Christopher Meloni's character was magdumping a SMG into Faora to no effect, pulls out his pistol, empties that, then pulls out a knife to which Faora, almost impressed, replies something to the effect of "It will be a fine death". This reminded me when Omniman confronted Donald, who only really tried to stall him long enough that the other agents can get out of the blast radius. Not to mention the sheer level of planning by Cecil who knew it was inevitable that confrontation was going to happen (they were spying on them from just across the street Fer crying out loud!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Maybe it's like video games where you shoot the boss a hundred times and it just goes plink-plink-plink and he doesn't even react, but then after a hundred and twenty shots he starts blinking red and moving faster, and then after a hundred and fifty shots he just dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
A superhero immune to 199 bullets a day (resetting once every 24 hours) would be a pretty funny superpower.