Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I’m sure they will for season 2, should they do it.

VVVV More like Captain America and Sarah’s Boyfriend

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
It should be Captain America and White Wolf Bucky hates the Winter Soldier :colbert:

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
It felt like they tried to cram 2 hours worth of show into 1 but I still liked this finale more than wandavision

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Its Rinaldo posted:

I was really worried for Bucky's cake at the end :ohdear:

When you're the only white guy at the cook out, you gotta bring that grocery store cake.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

thrawn527 posted:

What you're describing would require us to find the Guardians having found Gamora in between movies, and having had a similar arc as before that we didn't see. And that would be incredibly cheap and bullshit.

Oh my god, calling it:

Once they find Gamora and it turns out she's understandably standoffish, Quill will persuade Mantis to alter Gamora's feelings to "fix things", which of course is a big no-no and will lead to additional conflicts they'll have to overcome.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Good.

good. Loved the action. That was sone good action scenes. lol at Zemo's butler. That was so ridiculously evil

I'm a dork fangirl screaming at Bucky to ask Sarah out. And I'm so glad Sam got finally fleshed out. Im on my phone so i can go on big deeps about this episode.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

live with fruit posted:

I wonder if they eventually change the official title of the show to Captain America and the Winter Soldier.

I've been super hoping the reason they haven't committed to a second season of TFatWS is because they wanted to be cagey about the title change for the show.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Did none of you watch the episode till the end? They literally call it Captain America and the Winter Soldier at the end

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Frankenstyle posted:

I've been super hoping the reason they haven't committed to a second season of TFatWS is because they wanted to be cagey about the title change for the show.

They might be moving to movies with Sam as Cap. Might be worth it to have some continuity for the new Avengers they seem to be setting up, along with a bit of a leader dude who has experience and heart for that job.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Wuxi posted:

Did none of you watch the episode till the end? They literally call it Captain America and the Winter Soldier at the end

Yes. That's the point behind the theorycrafting.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

mcbexx posted:

Oh my god, calling it:

Once they find Gamora and it turns out she's understandably standoffish, Quill will persuade Mantis to alter Gamora's feelings to "fix things", which of course is a big no-no and will lead to additional conflicts they'll have to overcome.

Oh god please don't make Quill a rapist. He's a bit of a goofy fuckup but he is one of the purest hearts in the MCU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Gunn announced that the Holiday Special comes between Love and Thunder and GOTG 3 so he could use it to set up the search for Gamora.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Tracking down Gamora doesn't seem like it would have to be all that difficult. I could definitely see the Holiday special being entirely focused on having the characters bounce off each other as they pretty much hang out together and do some mild adventuring, with everyone (but Quill in particular) acknowledging that she isn't the person they lost, but they want her to be a part of their life anyway and start rebuilding some of those bonds. End with Quill convincing her to dance a little to a christmas song and you're good to go from there.

If Gunn would rather make renegade badass non-Guardian Gamora a proper thing in Guardians vol. 3 that's a perfectly valid way to go, but I can see the argument that the runtime/plot of that movie could be improved if that conflict's already resolved through a combination of Love and Thunder setting up where she is and the holiday special having the guardians interact with her.

I trust James Gunn and the marvel crew to figure it all out and deliver a satisfying movie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Gunn announced that the Holiday Special comes between Love and Thunder and GOTG 3 so he could use it to set up the search for Gamora.
I want Thor as Santa so bad. Just in a sleeveless red suit, ribbing the gently caress out of Quill. "And what do you want little Starlord, ho ho ho?"

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
I wonder how small the room with Isaiah's exhibit is. I hope there's MTU groups that put in the effort to make sure his story is in full Smithsonian glory. To me it's like the Tuskegee Airmen and Henrietta Lacks, an important part of the story that needs to be told. And yes I cried at the reveal then bawled again once I read the exhibit text.

On a different note, Bucky bringing lovely grocery cake to a cookout and casually flexing with kids hanging off his cyborg arm during a conversation are things I approve of.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

live with fruit posted:

the Holiday Special

I'm sorry the what

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bleck posted:

I'm sorry the what

There's gonna be a GOTG holiday special in December.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Dec 2022.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I watched the episode with subtitles (lol actually working on Friday) and I liked how in the first few moments of the show it's subtitled "Sam" when he's talking to Bucky and then when he bust in wearing the new suit the subtitles change to "Captain America" when he speaks.

The audio description also switched to calling him Cap at that point too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Marsupial Ape posted:

When you're the only white guy at the cook out, you gotta bring that grocery store cake.

You bring foil and paper towels.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

"Holiday Special" makes me immediately think of the Star Wars Holiday Special. So I winced on the initial read of this post.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
:thejoke:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Floppychop posted:

"Holiday Special" makes me immediately think of the Star Wars Holiday Special. So I winced on the initial read of this post.

That's definitely intentional:

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1385495785136168964?s=20

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Normally, I wouldn't be a fan of this, but I think the Guardians crew can make it work. Bonus points awarded for each Star Wars name they can get in the credits.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Wait, were the guys trying to kill everyone in the cargo stacks in ep 3 just bounty hunters? I'd assumed that was the power broker's goons the whole time. And who put the bounty out if not the power broker?

This makes no sense to me given what we now know.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

VagueRant posted:

Wait, were the guys trying to kill everyone in the cargo stacks in ep 3 just bounty hunters? I'd assumed that was the power broker's goons the whole time. And who put the bounty out if not the power broker?

This makes no sense to me given what we now know.

Yes, the series as a whole felt very disjointed and rushed.

They cut and ADRed the hell out of this thing.

Doom2020!
Dec 31, 2020

If you think this has a happy ending then you really haven't been paying attention

Wuxi posted:

I absolutely noticed and loved that. I loved that episode. I actually cheered several times during that episode and made a mate chuckle and call me a bloody kid. I know this seems weird but that episode brought me joy. So many things just hit me in a good way: a genuine good guy that looks like me embracing the mantle, the words he spoke, the recognition he gives to Isiah Bradley while keeping the fact he is still alive quiet, that he isn't a punchy Cap but a guy who tries to inspire and uplift not just his people but all people. He is the dream of what Captain America should be, of what a real hero should be. He believes in that better world and makes you want to believe. If I see kids walking around in this costume it will make me get a giant arse smile. Also now I want to move to this fictional small town and eat crawfish at their party. Man that episode just made me feel good. Bucky bringing the cheap store cake was hiLARIOUS.

Such a good end. By the way, if anyone wants to know about that amazing song at the end - here it is. I'm gonna go out and enjoy this happy feeling before a rewatch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzPW69YVz44

The whole album is good.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

Yes, the series as a whole felt very disjointed and rushed.

They cut and ADRed the hell out of this thing.
I'm assuming covid led to the use of ADR, and some of the completely bizzarre editing this episode, and the closeups of faces. (When John Walker confronts Karli they're literally not in the same shot until it's stuntpeople) There were some weird moments in previous eps, but this one felt cobbled together from start to finish.

SO curious if it the pandemic actually changed the planned story, or just butchered the telling of it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Isn't there an "unspecified" movie on the docket for October 2022? That could be Captain America and the Winter Solider

edit: sorry, I'm too used to Discord spoiler tags.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

Jeez, of course the new captain america has the power to summon drones.

With invasive facial recognition no less.

The_Doctor posted:

The text at the end:

ISAIAH BRADLEY

Isaiah Bradley is an American hero whose name went unknown for too long.

Isaiah was one of a dozen African-American soldiers who were recruited against their will and without their consent for participation in human testing in pursuit of the super soldier serum. Most did not survive. The few who lived through testing were sent on secret missions during the Korean War. During the conflict, against all odds, Isaiah Bradley rescued his fellow soldiers and 25 other POWs from behind enemy lines.

However, fearful of the ramifications of a black super soldier. Some individuals within the government tried to erase Isaiah’s story from history. His family was issued a falsified death certificate. And for decades, the truth of his unflinching bravery was buried.”

”Some individuals” Absolutely :chefskiss: perfect

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Umbra Dubium posted:

Yes, please.

Don't anyone go putting your mental health at risk to wade into the socials, but if you come across any chuds gettin' mad, do post them for us to laugh at.

From past episodes

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

fractalairduct posted:

Where is this idea that Walker is joining HYDRA coming from? Is it because of Val? Because she was Agent 14 of SHIELD for far longer than the brief period she was Madame Hydra, and even then, she actually turned out to be a mole for the Russian group Leviathan.

I haven't read any of the comics, but to me it's pretty dang foreshadowed, what with her flippant attitude, costuming, and behind-the-scenesy talk. I suppose they've left that door open for someone else to enjoy resolving.

Do they have another announced movie planned that's using these characters in the pipeline?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I was ready to write the series off as garbo centrist poo poo when Karli doubled down on everything and got herself killed. Then I was worried that the message would ultimately be some weak poo poo along the lines of 'protesting is for villains, you wouldn't have failed if you'd expressed your wishes through the official channels'. But that speech did a fair amount to win me around - even if the idea that the powers that be would actually change course after that is laughable.

It's a shame it was impossible to take it seriously with Sam in that ugly as gently caress mask.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

From past episodes

"Sources claim Kevin Feige sleeps nude in an oxygen tent which he believes gives him sexual powers."

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

stev posted:

I was ready to write the series off as garbo centrist poo poo when Karli doubled down on everything and got herself killed. Then I was worried that the message would ultimately be some weak poo poo along the lines of 'protesting is for villains, you wouldn't have failed if you'd expressed your wishes through the official channels'. But that speech did a fair amount to win me around - even if the idea that the powers that be would actually change course after that is laughable.

It's a shame it was impossible to take it seriously with Sam in that ugly as gently caress mask.

The important thing is that the finale happens on television, which change the optics.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm trying to imagine whether we get the same ending to this story if Sam had come back from the blip to find his boat and family house had been taken by strangers.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

VagueRant posted:

SO curious if it the pandemic actually changed the planned story, or just butchered the telling of it.

Apparently the Flag Smasher's big plot was going to be releasing some sort of highly infectious virus on the population, which is why they were stealing vaccines in episode 2. This plot line was scrapped for obvious reasons.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I think the biggest problem with this series is that it was trying to tackle so many ideas at once and a lot of the metaphors got mixed. A lot of the stuff around Walker is weird. In a vacuum, his arc is satisfying, it feels like a great adaptation of the character as he was in the comics. But this, of all Marvel shows, doesn't want us to look at it in a vacuum, because they're tackling extremely real and relevant political issues. So he's a cop metaphor, and we get this scene which is a very obvious commentary on real-world police brutality in America, and the show even goes out of its way to say America and its systems are what directly create people like Walker. So with this in mind it's weird to turn around and give him the redemption moments he gets here. It feels a little like saying "give murderous cops a second chance and they can be heroes, actually! :)"

I'm not against giving him redemption. That scene in the court in episode 5 was great - it establishes him at once as clearly in the wrong but also sympathetic. I actually wanted them to do something with Walker where he sorts himself out... but the problem with Walker is so much deeper than that he wanted revenge, which seems to be where episode 6 stops with him. He's redeemed because he does hero poo poo instead of killing some guys he wants to kill. I think it needed to spend a little time unpacking what any of what happened actually meant for him. I think you can leave this episode thinking like maybe just because he did one good thing doesn't make him good now - he's still angry, traumatized, twitchy, and about to cluelessly become a covert ops guy. And Bucky even calls his rear end out for his corny Lincoln line. But... I dunno. I get what they were going for but I think it needed more.

I think a scene where Walker spoke to Sam briefly after his speech and openly conceded the shield and title of Captain America to him would have done a lot to help me - Walker realizing he didn't deserve this role but still driven to do something and prove himself. You kind of get that with some of the shots of him looking on during the speech, but I think having him exchange words with Sam outright would have done a lot of work.

The problems with this series are... not a matter of malice or bad beliefs, just clumsiness and maybe biting off more than they could chew. And maybe a little naivete, but I can forgive that in a superhero thing. I think this series 90% lands, and despite that clumsiness, the people who generally watch Marvel stuff really needed to hear and see this material come from a superhero's mouth. It isn't perfect in its execution but I feel like there is a non-zero chance this series changes some minds about race and America - and that is so much more than I'd ever expect.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm one of the people disappointed that Karli isn't going to get to be Nomad going forward. I guess if they really want to, they could say she wakes up in the ambulance and then went underground (because who would believe her if she went around claiming Sharon was the Power Broker? All the evidence is in Madripoor, and it'd just let her know Karli's still around) if they change their mind later.

The Sharon heel turn is going to be interesting down the road - as others have said, it'll probably figure into Armour Wars. I kind of hope that it turns out she's not a Skrull, because that'd kind of be a copout (he said, hoping they retcon Karli's death). I'm guessing she killed the fence they met in Madripoor before she could reveal her identity, and I guess was playing along with Sam and Bucky to use them as a lead on Karli. I imagine only a tiny amount of people actually knew she's the power broker, they just think she's the art dealer. Obviously she wasn't expecting Zemo to cap her serum guy, but hey, Sam did manage to get her an in to the US government to work with.

Mackie killed it as Cap, and that speech at the end, while heavy handed, was nonetheless great. And frankly being subtle wouldn't have worked.

Honestly everyone turned in great performances throughout.

All in all, drat fine show. Think I might do a Cloak & Dagger rewatch now. (I'll say it again, it's the most underrated live-action Marvel series. I will be taking no further questions). Kind of feels like it shares a lot of the same DNA with FATWS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Golden Bee posted:

The important thing is that the finale happens on television, which change the optics.

Exactly. If John Walker had beaten that guy to death in a room with no witnesses, he'd still be "Official" Captain America. Since he did it in public and on-camera - and therefore embarrassed his bosses, not so much. If Sam had button-holed that guy in private, Senator Asshat would have laughed him out of the room. Since he did it in public on TV as Captain America after saving their lives from the angry freckled cute teenage girl terrorist, the GRC has to do the right thing - or at least not do more of the wrong thing.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 23, 2021