Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ambitious Spider posted:

Incident at Loch Ness is a found footage horror movie about Werner Herzog making a Loch Ness Monster documentary. I don't think Ive ever seen it streaming anywhere, so when I first heard about it I picked up a cheap dvd on ebay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPaDD9dXkhU

Haha awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
It's a nice satire about Hollywood as well. It's basically Life aquatic with Steve Zissou meets Werner Herzog.

I'm also in the club of people who read unexplained mystery style book in my teens. When I nostalgia binge on youtube for that sort of stuff it always surprises me that those list people still use the 70's stuff almost ad verbatim. Dyatlov! Moving coffins!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

david_a posted:

I like cryptozoology because it’s sorta a real science. Obviously stuff like the Jersey Devil is completely supernatural and silly (but fun!). However, some of the more mundane creatures might have some basis in undiscovered animals. Stuff like the shunka warakin is *sigh* 99% certain to just be folklore + a lovely taxidermy job, but how cool would it be if it wasn’t???

uhhh haven't you heard of a little documentary called The X Files

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I'm watching The Legend of Boggy Creek at the moment

It's pretty good. It's fun that it's all based on 'real' events. The monster is obviously just a dude in a gorilla costume but the framing makes it work pretty good anyway

Also, if nothing else, there's a bunch of nice nature footage

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh man, such weird memories with this one. I both loved it and was terrified by it, on the same level as watching Jurassic Park the first time. It's also a complete :psypop: because somehow in my extremely sheltered, conservative home, nobody batted an eye at the nudity in a PG movie. I'm guessing this one hasn't aged too well.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Barry Foster posted:

I'm watching The Legend of Boggy Creek at the moment

It's pretty good. It's fun that it's all based on 'real' events. The monster is obviously just a dude in a gorilla costume but the framing makes it work pretty good anyway

Also, if nothing else, there's a bunch of nice nature footage

Boggy Creek II And the legend continues also by Charles Pierce is worth a watch too.

They're both super atmospheric. One of them has an MST3K episode too,but I forget which

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

Boggy Creek II And the legend continues also by Charles Pierce is worth a watch too.

They're both super atmospheric. One of them has an MST3K episode too,but I forget which

It's the second one, which is actually the third one because the original Boggy Creek II was actually unrelated to the first one's director.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh man, such weird memories with this one. I both loved it and was terrified by it, on the same level as watching Jurassic Park the first time. It's also a complete :psypop: because somehow in my extremely sheltered, conservative home, nobody batted an eye at the nudity in a PG movie. I'm guessing this one hasn't aged too well.

I remember it being incredibly violent and unpleasant for a kid's movie. Also even as a kid I thought the title was dumb.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Crossposting myself because that's a headline that needs to be seen

Treguna Mekoides
Jun 17, 2008

A witch is always a lady except when circumstances dictate otherwise.
I'm queueing up the documentary now, but I must say immediately that this:

quote:

Directed by Joshua Rofé (“Lorena”), the Hulu series follows gonzo journalist David Holthouse as he investigates an anecdote he heard at a cannabis farm in Northern California in the 1990s.

may be the most tenuous basis for a documentary I have seen in some time. I'm strapped in.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals
Hell yes, thanks for all the suggestions! Troll Hunter is an absolute favourite of mine, I can't get enough of it.

The Herzog Loch Ness one is definitely going to be the next one I look out for. I remember going to Loch Ness as a kid and visiting the (a?) Nessie museum. This was late 90s/early 2000s, so I think they'd just started doing big sonar scans of the loch to find Nessie. It was so sad walking through years of displays of newspaper articles and TV reports saying "maybe it's a plesiosaur! Maybe it's an undiscovered species! Maybe there are a few of them!" to a room at the end that said "we scanned it, just found fish. Maybe it's invisible and/or magic. Here's the gift shop!". Wonder if it's still going?

Edit: of course it's still going. Now with lasers! https://www.lochness.com/exhibition.aspx

Chris Pistols has a new favorite as of 12:49 on Apr 20, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chris Pistols posted:

The Herzog Loch Ness one is definitely going to be the next one I look out for.

You should definitely buy/rent it online if you can but if you can't access a paid copy for some reason someone uploaded the entire thing on vimeo :ssh:

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

You should definitely buy/rent it online if you can but if you can't access a paid copy for some reason someone uploaded the entire thing on vimeo :ssh:

Watched it this afternoon with my Dad (bought it like a good boy). It was made all the better by Dad believing it was a real documentary all the way through. Solid recommend, well worth the £3.50!

Now I'm just waiting for that Hulu sasquatch doc to make it to the UK...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Chris Pistols posted:

Watched it this afternoon with my Dad (bought it like a good boy). It was made all the better by Dad believing it was a real documentary all the way through. Solid recommend, well worth the £3.50!

Now I'm just waiting for that Hulu sasquatch doc to make it to the UK...

Disney+ seems to be grabbing all the Hulu stuff for the UK. I’ll keep an eye out tor it there.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chris Pistols posted:

Mothman Prophecies worth a go?

I've seen it twice, once when it came out on DVD or w/e and once last year. It's ok! Kinda bland, can't remember much to say about it other than "chap... stick"

Good ambient soundtrack though. My dad bought the CD and I was a bit shocked finding out his musical tastes weren't just classic rock and 90's country.

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Now here is a something of a 'white whale' for me. There is a book called The Field Guide to North American Monsters (very tongue-in-cheek) which features a monster called Penelope, basically a person mutated by toxic waste that roams the Sierra Nevada.

I am starting to conclude the source of this story is ONLY from that book as a complete troll, but I do wonder if anyone has heard of it elsewhere.

http://www.weirdca.com/location.php?location=163

I'm a few pages late, but I definitely remember this monster. In my case, I heard about it from The Encyclopedia of Monsters, which contained obviously-fictional movie monsters alongside "real" ones. Even as a kid, Penelope struck me as a bit of a far-fetched tale.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is the Hulu Sasquatch thing good?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh poo poo someone caught a real live jackalope on video!!!!
https://i.imgur.com/EnAcFR7.mp4

veni veni veni posted:

Is the Hulu Sasquatch thing good?

Ehhh, it's okay. They try really really hard to shoehorn the Sasquatch angle into the show as much as they can (in the first episode they interview Bob Gimlin, Prof Jeff Meldrum, Bobo from Finding Bigfoot and a few other squatchers and they spend a LOT of time showing spooky footage of the redwood forest with sinister music playing over it) but it's really only adding padding to a fairly standard true crime blog-style investigation. They leave it right until the very end of the final episode to reveal the investigator never believed in bigfoot at all so there never was any reason for him to interview all those squatchers except to fill airtime

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Chris Pistols posted:

Are they any passable cryptid films? I'm told there has never been a decent Bigfoot horror made, which is a shame. Mothman Prophecies worth a go? B-movies are one thing, but surely someone's had a go at making a good film involving one of these beasties.

"Bigfoot movies" are split between movies about bigfoot and movies about cryptozoology. "Exists" is probably the best example of the former, where you unambiguously have a giant ape-man running around and doing stuff. Bigfoot is a full-fledged character there.

Movies like Willow Creek are much more common, where they're primarily about people struggling to document creepy experiences in the woods and they basically end up being ghost stories. That's a tradition going back to well before Bigfoot: the Legend Of Sasquatch, since a big chunk of that movie is devoted to campfire tales and the guys in the woods end up with jack poo poo in terms of evidence, yet everyone ends up convinced about beings outside the realm of perception. It's very noteworthy that Bigfoot: the Legend Of Sasquatch depicts an entirely fictional expedition where they could have included anything, but they still refused to end with the bigfoot being killed, captured, or even photographed. It's an admission that Bigfoot will forever be 'just on the other side of that mountain'.

Along these lines, there's a somewhat-interesting chupacabra movie called Indigenous. The bulk of it is a decent-but-generic creature feature about kids dying in the woods, but then the last act takes a swerve where the 'cabra accidentally ends up objectively proven. Suddenly there are worldwide repercussions: cryptozoology is effectively destroyed because it's lost the fringe appeal and has been overtaken by actual zoologists. Chupacabras are studied like any other animal, put in zoos and whatever. Basically all the stuff that's left out of your typical monster movie, and that cryptozoologists have failed to accomplish for decades.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Along these lines, there's a somewhat-interesting chupacabra movie called Indigenous. The bulk of it is a decent-but-generic creature feature about kids dying in the woods, but then the last act takes a swerve where the 'cabra accidentally ends up objectively proven. Suddenly there are worldwide repercussions: cryptozoology is effectively destroyed because it's lost the fringe appeal and has been overtaken by actual zoologists. Chupacabras are studied like any other animal, put in zoos and whatever. Basically all the stuff that's left out of your typical monster movie, and that cryptozoologists have failed to accomplish for decades.

That actually sounds pretty intriguing depending on how substantial it is, the ending basically sounds exactly like what I'd want to see from a monster movie to make it stand out from the crowd.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
If you guys havent seen it, you might enjoy Hellier. Its free on YouTube or on Amazon Prime.

Its a rabbit hole that some paranormal investigators go down after receiving some emails about goblins in Kentucky that someone asked them to investigate. 2 seasons long so far, its a well produced documentary. Not really about the goblins so much as it is about their search for them and the weird stuff they encounter along the way.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Curious: do posters ITT wanna believe, but can't get past the obvious lack of data?

Like, personnaly, I wish my dead partner would come "haunt" me, but he just hasn't. My cat has brought me lots of dead stuff too. I want to get haunted! :(

I would LOVE for a big foot to really be found or even actual DNA, but the odds are unlikely.

Same with aliens. That would be COOL! The odds are good that alien life in some form exists, but that it's gotten here? Nope.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Otteration posted:

Curious: do posters ITT wanna believe, but can't get past the obvious lack of data?

Like, personnaly, I wish my dead partner would come "haunt" me, but he just hasn't. My cat has brought me lots of dead stuff too. I want to get haunted!

I would LOVE for a big foot to really be found or even actual DNA, but the odds are unlikely.

Same with aliens. That would be COOL! The odds are good that alien life in some form exists, but that it's gotten here? Nope.

Oh I'd be over the moon if any cryptid was proved to be real, I got real excited when it looked like someone had evidence of a live thylacine a few months back until I went "Wait, let's look at some of this guy's other videos ....... oh no he's a bullshit artist"

Thousands upon thousands of people have been specifically hunting for bigfoot for over 60 years now, plus there's been tens of millions of hunters and hikers and tourists traipsing through "bigfoot country" for centuries and there's never been any irrefutable evidence ever discovered. Not one single strand of hair, not one bone, nothing. That pushes the odds way down to practically zero.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh yeah, I want to believe in a lot of cryptid/paranormal stuff, just because I like the idea of there being fantastic things that don't quite fit into the everyday mundane world. But I'm also just fascinated by solving mysteries, I'd be just about as happy to figure out if there's actually stuff going on that explains things like Bigfoot or UFOs beyond peoples' confusion or mental problems, or tying things like infrasonic vibrations to specific "hauntings".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I absolutely want all that poo poo to be real because it'd rule. It's probably why myself and anyone else got into it as kids. There was a post early in the thread that was bizarre because they said it wouldn't really be a big deal if any of this was found to be real and I have no idea how they could ever think that.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
On a similar thought, if you could choose any one cryptid to actually exist, what would you pick?

I'd pick the Fresno Nightcrawler. Imagine a field full of slow walking, ethereal pants. So majestic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If "extant megalodon" counts as a cryptid that'd be my pick but of the hall of famers it'd have to be Nessie.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Otteration posted:

Like, personnaly, I wish my dead partner would come "haunt" me, but he just hasn't. My cat has brought me lots of dead stuff too. I want to get haunted! :(

Sometimes I wish this stuff was literally, physically real, but I think the people who bash around in the woods or use high tech gear to spot orbs in abandoned houses miss the point of what makes these things compelling. Folklore, religion, and mythology (and these kinds of things fall into at least 2 of these 3 categories, and to go by some of the claims made by UFO afficionados, maybe all 3) aren't important because they represent reality, they're important because the stories we tell each other and ourselves shape the way we think and reflect the values of our cultures and societies. Part of me wishes that bigfoot, for example, could be found and studied and if it's close enough to humanity perhaps even communicated with, but a much larger part of me values the story of bigfoot. If bigfoot is really discovered, it's just another animal, but if it's forever a possibility, that we can all say "yeah, probably it doesn't exist but who knows, I heard that a friend of a friend's cousin's uncle's boyfriend's daughter saw one once," that uncertainty is fun and interesting and a compelling cultural phenomenon that goes away if it becomes just another animal that we can see at the zoo or watch David Attenborough documentaries about.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As is probably implied by the OP, across the board I'm a fairly firm skeptic who doesn't believe in the supernatural. For me the interest lies in the historical/sociological aspect of cryptids, how modern myths form and evolve and permeate/reflect culture. I do think it would be cool if some of this stuff was real, and often wondered and daydreamed about it as a youth, but personally I feel that pretty much everything we've discussed in this thread resembles folklore and legend more than anything literally physical or scientific. Could there be a surviving thylacine out there? It's possible, but highly unlikely since we know they existed but there is no significant evidence that they are still around—we have far, far more reason to believe that they are extinct than extant. Big cats in the UK? Technically possible, sure. But highly unlikely. Could there be a bigfoot, or ghosts, or alien abductions? No, personally I don't think so, and I don't think we have good reason to suspect there are if you dig into the record in any significant capacity. I do believe that other life in the universe exists, but not that it has or could ever visit our solar system.

e: That being said, there's still plenty of incredible stuff on and off of this planet for us to discover and the unknown is vast. I just think that cryptids and such are cultural or sometimes even religious artifacts, not scientific ones. But to each their own!

feedmyleg has a new favorite as of 21:29 on Apr 23, 2021

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I loved the hulu documentary Sasquatch. It subverted my expectations and the last stinger was great lol

when he goes down the rabbit hole of old contacts and druggies and finds out a guy named "Bigfoot Gary" was operating in the region at that time was great! Like a real dun dun duuunnn moment

But yeah i wouldnt recommend it if you were looking for some real cryptid stuff

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Mutant Headcrab posted:

On a similar thought, if you could choose any one cryptid to actually exist, what would you pick?

I'd pick the Fresno Nightcrawler. Imagine a field full of slow walking, ethereal pants. So majestic.

Not a "cryptid" per se, but alien life. At the least just to watch right wing churches contort themselves into explanatory knots (as if they are not already tied up thusly anyway).

E: yeah, the science would be fun too. :)

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Thousands upon thousands of people have been specifically hunting for bigfoot for over 60 years now, plus there's been tens of millions of hunters and hikers and tourists traipsing through "bigfoot country" for centuries and there's never been any irrefutable evidence ever discovered. Not one single strand of hair, not one bone, nothing. That pushes the odds way down to practically zero.

Every single video of the "swamp fart" or whatever local version that exists is so obviously a god drat dude in a fur suit. My personal challenge is to find out how fast I can fast forward through this poo poo. Not fast enough, yet.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Otteration posted:

I mean I never get upset about specific cryptids not existing because there are so many animals that are proven to exist who are just a strange or even stranger. Bigfoots might not be real, but we absolutely have gorillas and a bunch of other really cool apes. We also have bats, and sloths, and cuttlefish, and platypuses, and giant squids, and luna moths, and possums, and a while bunch of other beautiful weirdos. Oh, and cats and dogs! They live in your house and want to be your friend, how cool is that!? There could be one sitting on you right now!

For me personally I like cryptids for the same reason I like Pokemon, animals are cool and fun to think about and made up animals are also cool and fun to think about. Cool monsters are cool regardless of whether or not they actually exist.

And in regards to hauntings: No. Absolutely not. gently caress that poo poo. Listen, you sound like you're interested in having a very sweet and wholesome haunting involving a visit from a loved one and I respect that, but knowing my luck whatever ghost came to visit me would be the rear end in a top hat kind. The kind that breaks poo poo and tries to push you down a flight of stairs. Keep that supernatural bullshit far away from me forever please.

Also, I don't want to be involved in any fake hauntings either. No weird wind sounds, no gas leaks causing me to hallucinate, no weird poo poo involving electricity, no assholes pulling a prank on me with hidden audio equipment, I want none of it ever. I have enough nonsense to deal with in my life without having to worry about either real or fake ghosts.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, I'm not confident or actually hopeful that any of it will actually happen. But that does go to why posters ITT still watch this stuff (including me occasionally), which was my op. Study of human nature might be it, but hey, it might happen, so why not? :)

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I think a lot of it comes from wanting to see something no one, or at least very few people, have ever seen in this age where everything's been explored. Two hundred years ago you could daydream about sailing to some remote island no human had ever set foot on before and find living dinosaurs and who knows what else, and as far as anyone knew that was possible. Now we've explored everywhere and I can Google up the rarest creatures in seconds, so we've had to start fantasizing about weird things in our own backyards. I know when I'm out hiking around I often think about how cool it'd be to find something totally unexpected, not a bigfoot or anything but like someone's released pet alligator or something. Just that thrill of "what the hell is that!?" you don't get in your normal day-to-day.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea I am skeptical about basically anything. The proof offered for all this stuff is all circumstantial at best, out and out lies and fabrications at worst.

I'm into it because i love spooky stuff like ghosts and monsters in myths, legends and fiction. I see this stuff no different than hydras or werewolves or tyranids. It does really bother me that people take this poo poo so seriously. I don't mean people in west virgina that sell stuff mothmans, but the people who who do those bigfoot shows that are so drat insistant that bigfoot is totally real and they totally have proof, we just need to go out into the woods and yell a bunch.

I do with ghosts were real, because after I die i'd love to be a ghost haunting some rich rear end in a top hat. Pay your workers mooooooooore or i'll leave ghost jizz on all your suits!

Speaking of bigfoot shows I watched a video about them, and like I thought finding bigfoot was pretty bad, but one of the shows they talked about was called Shooting Bigfoot, which featured a bunch of the exactly kind of people who you'd think would get all horny for shooting bigfoot. It was like Preppers, all just itching to start blasting away, though rather than black people or zombies, its bigfoot. They had shotguns with scopes, wtf?

The best part, they are in Texas, which is hilarious because Bigfoot is a pacific northwest monster.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Otteration posted:

I admit, I believe in them all. Cryptids, Mythologicals, Ghosts, Aliens and UFOs. We just haven't come across good evidence since 99.9% of what gets shown is either a hoax or totally mundane explanation. I believe because there is still so much on this planet we still have yet to discover, it's just a matter of time. I just hope it happens in my lifetime.

When I was really little, I believed the Movie Monsters were real, the reason I didn't see them around the neighborhood or the grocery store was they all moved to Hollywood and made movies to pay the bills and put food on the table. That it was just makeup didn't disillusion me, same as any cryptids/mythologicals/etc.. being proven as something mundane won't disillusion me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Satan

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Otteration posted:

Selective believer. I mean I believe in life elsewhere in the universe but not so much with UFOs and alien visitations for instance.
When it comes to cryptids I'd be more inclined to believe that marine ones exists than land ones, due to the size and depth of the ocean.
Like others I'd love if they were real, but at the same time if they were they'd lose their luster somewhat and just become yet another animal out there.

But otherwise they're just an interesting cultural thing, when it's not co-opted by really awful people that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

twistedmentat posted:

The best part, they are in Texas, which is hilarious because Bigfoot is a pacific northwest monster.

Bigfoots have been reported in every US state and East Texas is a real hot spot. They've been holding bigfoot conferences/conventions in Texas for several decades now

Of course, bigfoot has also been spotted all over the UK & Ireland:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1s1zOmmdM216PMftPUM9K1qqGrFg&ll=52.210354432013936%2C-0.9924323534613866&z=9

..... and also all Australia

https://www.yowiehunters.com.au/
https://studiopentagon.info/stats/yowiemap.php