Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kesper North posted:

Do you think the Klingons have kids TV

Like, was there Klingon Nickelodeon where they'd dump bowls of gagh on peoples' heads
“You Can’t Do That in Sto’Vo’Kor!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

I actually rather liked 09/Into Darkness/Beyond’s peaks into civilian life and pop culture of the Federation and how it was still fairly recognizable to our own but just more technologically advanced. TNG was almost like looking in on a completely alien culture with how sterile and stoic human culture was presented as being in the future.

Meanwhile JJ Trek has Uhura strutting into a bar to a blaring funk song, hooking up with all her Starfleet besties, and then ordering like 20 shots of Jack Daniels from a holographic menu.

Sorry, I think you mean JJ Trek has Kirk driving his Chevy Corvette and talking on a Nokia carphone to the bar where he orders a refreshing Budweiser and a Jack Daniels & Coca-Cola on the side

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
JJTrek has Kirk stealing an ancient car, using an antique car phone and playing classical music on a joyride.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"classical" in Voyager or JJTrek never includes, say, the 2070s, because it's an increasingly lazy way to make modern-day pop culture references aside from a time travel episode

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 23, 2021

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
"now but with more LEDs and transparent screens" is with few exceptions almost always the laziest future.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

galenanorth posted:

"classical" in Voyager or JJTrek never includes, say, the 2070s, because it's an increasingly lazy way to make modern-day pop culture references aside from a time travel episode

It’s entirely for the audience’s sake. If the show presents us with recognizable pop culture references, it doesn’t feel new and strange to us. We can recognize it as something that exists in the past of the show, because we’re in the past of the show. Theremincore Neopop from the 2130s would sound like weird future music, so the audience would have to take the show’s word that it’s classical.

Yeah, it’s weird that every pop-culture history buff in Star Trek knows about Green Day but it doesn’t feel weird, and that’s what matters.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I don't like when they refer to pop rock as classical music because even at this point, the term refers to a very distinct style of music, same as how regardless of how it actually sounds, I would expect "rock & roll" to survive as a genre description in the distant future.

Also, while I think it's lazy I don't think it's super-unreasonable to at least have stuff that's current now be known in the future - to a point. Like it was handled in a dumb way, but yeah, I'd expect people who listen to a lot of music to know who the Beastie Boys or Led Zeppelin were in a century or two. If you can argue that a band or singer had a major impact on global music, I think it'd be reasonable to assume their names stick around.

(although to be totally fair, if DS9 referenced Zeppelin it'd probably be in the context of Sisko explaining another way in which Black contributions to society were marginalized and stolen from them)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I mean, rock music from the 90's and '00's is considered "classic rock" now, which blows my mind, even though it shouldn't. 70's and 80's music was classic rock for me when I was growing up in the 90's and '00's.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I don't like when they refer to pop rock as classical music because even at this point, the term refers to a very distinct style of music, same as how regardless of how it actually sounds, I would expect "rock & roll" to survive as a genre description in the distant future.

Also, while I think it's lazy I don't think it's super-unreasonable to at least have stuff that's current now be known in the future - to a point. Like it was handled in a dumb way, but yeah, I'd expect people who listen to a lot of music to know who the Beastie Boys or Led Zeppelin were in a century or two. If you can argue that a band or singer had a major impact on global music, I think it'd be reasonable to assume their names stick around.

(although to be totally fair, if DS9 referenced Zeppelin it'd probably be in the context of Sisko explaining another way in which Black contributions to society were marginalized and stolen from them)
Your problem is that a really fresh cultural reference could fail hilariously, like that Super Mario Super Show episode about Milli Vanilli.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, rock music from the 90's and '00's is considered "classic rock" now, which blows my mind, even though it shouldn't. 70's and 80's music was classic rock for me when I was growing up in the 90's and '00's.

yeah that one :psyduck:s me a little but I get it. But the stuff from the 70's/80's is still "classic rock" too!

Nessus posted:

Your problem is that a really fresh cultural reference could fail hilariously, like that Super Mario Super Show episode about Milli Vanilli.

Yeah, it's lazy for sure, and made even lazier by the fact that if you want to do it right you pretty much have to stick to a name that most people would agree was as "big" as Beethoven or Mozart, so like you could argue that the Bee Gees were a better band than the Beatles, but history has already kind of cemented the Beatles as one of the "completely revolutionized music" bands.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

yeah that one :psyduck:s me a little but I get it. But the stuff from the 70's/80's is still "classic rock" too!

Yeah, it's lazy for sure, and made even lazier by the fact that if you want to do it right you pretty much have to stick to a name that most people would agree was as "big" as Beethoven or Mozart, so like you could argue that the Bee Gees were a better band than the Beatles, but history has already kind of cemented the Beatles as one of the "completely revolutionized music" bands.

or you do a gag where everyone knows about MC Hammer or NSYNC, and the Beatles are an obscure footnote.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Wyclef Jean is canon as of Discovery, and by proxy, so are The Bee Gees.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tunicate posted:

or you do a gag where everyone knows about MC Hammer or NSYNC, and the Beatles are an obscure footnote.

tbh I think that would work too, the silly inversion doesn't actually make it more plausible or realistic but I think it'd be a tacit acknowledgement of the overall laziness of current-culture references

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

unrelated, I think I post this every time I watch Yesterday's Enterprise but man do I love the Ambassador-class. IMO it's a perfect representation of the transition from the TOS era to the TNG era.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I've always enjoyed the design

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The original Probert design is very sexy compared to the rush job that made it on screen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think it looks too much like the Galaxy class

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

HD DAD posted:

The original Probert design is very sexy compared to the rush job that made it on screen.

The problem is that the Excelsior and Ent-B just kinda sucks as a design. Trying to bridge the gap from B to D sucks when B is already bad. Probert’s C did look great though, prob cuz almost everything that madlad did was great— the dude even helped make the DeLorean in BTTF. (TNG season 1-2 six-foot Galaxy model 4 lyfe)

It’s really amazing how good the Galaxy design was in comparison to how “next generation” the Excelsior was supposed to look.

Edit - I know Oberth was made to look dorky but gently caress that one is the worst

jeeves fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 24, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

jeeves posted:

The problem is that the Excelsior and Ent-B just kinda sucks as a design. Trying to bridge the gap from B to D sucks when B is already bad. Probert’s C did look great though, prob cuz almost everything that madlad did was great— the dude even helped make the DeLorean in BTTF. (TNG season 1-2 six-foot Galaxy model 4 lyfe)

It’s really amazing how good the Galaxy design was in comparison to how “next generation” the Excelsior was supposed to look.

Edit - I know Oberth was made to look dorky but gently caress that one is the worst

I wish the Pegasus was a Probert-C instead of an Oberth. It really undercuts the mystique of it being this near-black ops ship that everyone involved with is sworn to silence by Starfleet Command regarding its mutiny and the experiment onboard that went awry, and then they get inside the asteroid and it's just a loving Oberth. Gawd...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

I wish the Pegasus was a Probert-C instead of an Oberth. It really undercuts the mystique of it being this near-black ops ship that everyone involved with is sworn to silence by Starfleet Command regarding its mutiny and the experiment onboard that went awry, and then they get inside the asteroid and it's just a loving Oberth. Gawd...

The original plan was to kitbash an Ambassador class era Nebula, but time and budget stopped that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That would have looked a lot cooler

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Someone did it up

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I will definitely take that over the Oberth any day of the week

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I never understood the idea of having an engineering hull and then not attaching the nacelles to it?

Of course the Kelvin was the absolute worst of this weird idea.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

The original plan was to kitbash an Ambassador class era Nebula, but time and budget stopped that.

Oh drat, that would have rocked.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

But yeah it's not like they didn't like the Probert C, it was just unworkable for a TV shop. So they gave it to Sternbach and went 'hey do something kinda like this but that we can make' and he gave them the Enterprise-C we saw, which is all geometric curve segments and symmetrical elements and straight lines, and they went and made that instead. The Probert C would've been as complex as the Enterprise-D, which ILM made originally and then took ages for the in-house shop to make the 4-foot copy.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 24, 2021

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Too soon

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Kelvin owns, to hell with Gene’s bullshit mandate that ships have to have even numbers of nacelles. It’s a magic space warp engine powered by plot, slap 23 of the fuckers on there, who cares?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

jeeves posted:

The problem is that the Excelsior and Ent-B just kinda sucks as a design.

I cannot let this affront, this slander, this utter untruth, stand any longer than it already has. The Excelsior is, and I'm paraphrasing a bit here I admit, but, it's totally rad.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Kelvin owns, to hell with Gene’s bullshit mandate that ships have to have even numbers of nacelles. It’s a magic space warp engine powered by plot, slap 23 of the fuckers on there, who cares?

My issue is like, why does it have an engineering hull and nacelle but not connected heh

I guess they had to store their cavernous shuttle bay somewhere

Goblin Craft posted:

I cannot let this affront, this slander, this utter untruth, stand any longer than it already has. The Excelsior is, and I'm paraphrasing a bit here I admit, but, it's totally rad.
Okay Excelisor is at least on the not fukken stupid scale, even if it’s at the bottom. Anything made after Voyager... is not.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Goblin Craft posted:

The Excelsior is an ugly-rear end bucket of bolts and I hate that it informed Starfleet designs for the better part of two decades. Between the pregnant guppy engineering hull, the dipshit nacelles and pylons and other aspects like the thicc neck between the saucer and engineering hull ... nope.

Stick to Star Wars designs, ILM; between the Excelsior and the laziness behind the Klingon Bird of Prey, y'all suck when it comes to Trek designs.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, that looks pretty weird. Like are you just piping the warp juice through the saucer where everyone lives and THEN to the nacelles? What's the advantage here? What if the warp pipes break? Everyone will get space warp piss!

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How about this, you forget about genes mandate about nacelles if you remember how horny he wanted the show to be

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Timby posted:

The Excelsior is an ugly-rear end bucket of bolts and I hate that it informed Starfleet designs for the better part of two decades. Between the pregnant guppy engineering hull, the dipshit nacelles and pylons and other aspects like the thicc neck between the saucer and engineering hull ... nope.

Stick to Star Wars designs, ILM; between the Excelsior and the laziness behind the Klingon Bird of Prey, y'all suck when it comes to Trek designs.

We're lucky we got what we did: the 'main' study models based on concept art for the excelsior were these things

Bill George did up his own takes in spare time and made these:

Nimoy picking out those for Excelsior was basically what established the Enterprise shape as kind of the 'standard' starfleet arrangement, before that we'd never seen it repeated.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 24, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jeeves posted:

I never understood the idea of having an engineering hull and then not attaching the nacelles to it?

So you'd prefer something more like

https://i.imgur.com/QqFGqK1.mp4

IT'S THE TITAN!

https://i.imgur.com/XlHyIDQ.mp4

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gotta love the Luna-class

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I really like the light strip things on the torpedo pod, even if I'm not 100% sure what they're actually doing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Delsaber posted:

I really like the light strip things on the torpedo pod, even if I'm not 100% sure what they're actually doing.

They put the extra pew in the pew-pew.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I love the oberth, it's so nautical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Timby posted:

The Excelsior is an ugly-rear end bucket of bolts and I hate that it informed Starfleet designs for the better part of two decades.

This is my issue with it— it was designed to look dumpy as a “ew gently caress new poo poo” sentiment that Scotty correctly has.

Then they just kept reusing the design out of laziness. We’re loving lucky that Probert made an amazingly unique design for the Galaxy