Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Oh poo poo, I took England (as Denmark) and now the Pope is pissed and calling a crusade. I have like 3K men at arms and about 7000 levies, and precious few allies. Any tricks on fighting off the heathen Catholics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Last time I had a crusade called against me they dropped small independent armies all over England that I could destroy individually like a 1000 year old game of whack a mole.

Otherwise use whatever terrain or man advantage you can. Ransom everyone you can that's not worth tremendous warscore to keep the mercs flowing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You can only get crusades called on you if you're not Catholic!

English is actually really good to defend as everyone disembarks piecemeal and half-starved. Those malus' add up! But with only 10k total units vs all of Catholic Europe you might be in the hole there, mate.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I thought I understood this really well. But I am learning now idk wtf I’m doing. My wife has claims on like half of France. Her father is the duke of Aquitaine. Shouldn’t her children (my heir) get claims on the duchy of Aquitaine? There is a male heir to the duchy but I thought her claims were inheritable...

Oh she probably needs to die first.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I thought I understood this really well. But I am learning now idk wtf I’m doing. My wife has claims on like half of France. Her father is the duke of Aquitaine. Shouldn’t her children (my heir) get claims on the duchy of Aquitaine? There is a male heir to the duchy but I thought her claims were inheritable...

So look at her claims.

You'll see, at the bottom of the claim, either a plus or a minus. Pluses indicate pressed claims. These are claims that will be inherited on the death of the character by that character's heirs.

Minuses indicate unpressed claims. These types of claims will not be inherited by the character's heirs upon their deaths.

You can change a claim from unpressed to pressed by fighting for the claim in a war that ends in a white peace. And only with this resolution since, if you surrender, you give up the claim entirely, but if your opponent surrenders, well, you now own the territory, you hypothetical dingus.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Yeah she should have pressed claims to her father's possessions, and her children will receive unpressed claims as a result, but she has to die first.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Kaza42 posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't declare war on friends, but not positive

I declared war on my brother who was my friend.

In my defense, he shouldn't have converted from our ancestral religion (Apostolic).

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Veryslightlymad posted:

That and being good to your Spouse(s).

Speaking of, one thing that annoys me is if you run a faith that allows multiple spouses, and your primary spouse dies, you don't get any control over which spouse is set as the primary. What if I wanted the one who had slightly lower stats overall, but was more lopsided to stewardship?

I think an event for this can make a spouses death more meaningful by having you choose with pros/cons if you choose one with more/less seniority. Honestly a harem mechanic for dlc would be a lot of fun. Ruler sets a harem policy by decision on inheriting the title, gives the primary spouse a new role, and can add more options for future spouses, intrigue tests with significant risks, and vassal interactions. The Abbasid Court had ~4000 women at its peak for reference.

You should be able to set a secondary spouse to primary by right clicking their portrait, though. It will impact the relationships.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

guidoanselmi posted:

The Abbasid Court had ~4000 women at its peak for reference.

Imagine being 15/16 and someone yes you that you can bang any or all of these 4000 slaves.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

guidoanselmi posted:

I think an event for this can make a spouses death more meaningful by having you choose with pros/cons if you choose one with more/less seniority. Honestly a harem mechanic for dlc would be a lot of fun. Ruler sets a harem policy by decision on inheriting the title, gives the primary spouse a new role, and can add more options for future spouses, intrigue tests with significant risks, and vassal interactions. The Abbasid Court had ~4000 women at its peak for reference.

You should be able to set a secondary spouse to primary by right clicking their portrait, though. It will impact the relationships.

Alternatively, a harem dlc would be gross and cater to the wrong audience. Sure, you're already participating in arranged marriages and kidnapping, but let's not bring that into focus any more than it already is

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

Kaza42 posted:

Alternatively, a harem dlc would be gross and cater to the wrong audience. Sure, you're already participating in arranged marriages and kidnapping, but let's not bring that into focus any more than it already is

Nah, you can murder babies and steal wives as concubines... If it’s educational and historically accurate I’d be down for a harem dlc. I’d also like to see the game reflect the commonality of sacking a city vs peaceful surrender and how common slave taking was.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Any tips for succession management?

Last few successions I've had very early wars immediately upon inheriting -- usually a Liberty war, an Independence War, and a peasant rebellion.

Is there a way to avoid these more easily? I feel like I'm always on the backfoot since the rebellions are ticking up as soon as I inherit.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
aaaaaaaaaaaaa god i hate a murder at court events. thanks heir for murdering all my wives and then loving off into the wilderness before i could murder you in revenge

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I should really just auto-imprison my heir when that chain kicks off, it’s very rarely not him

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

alcaras posted:

Any tips for succession management?

Last few successions I've had very early wars immediately upon inheriting -- usually a Liberty war, an Independence War, and a peasant rebellion.

Is there a way to avoid these more easily? I feel like I'm always on the backfoot since the rebellions are ticking up as soon as I inherit.

Peasant Rebellions are largely random (and also easy to defeat, especially if there's a civil war raging that will wipe their armies for you) those are best ignored. Popular Opinion is what drives it if you want to look into it, but the main thing is don't do long Offensive Wars.

As for keeping your vassals on side there's not too much you can do, rebellions following succession are pretty normal, the Short Reign modifier is a bitch. The big one is to make sure your vassals don't hate your previous character, since the Opinion of Predecessor is a thing. Landing your heirs may help them build Prestige, but it may also turn them into Profligate Murderers. You can always concede a level of Crown Authority to the Liberty faction too if you're feeling especially weak.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I was having a good sicily run until I was overthrown and made duchy and now I can't go back for a day or two because rebuilding sucks in this game.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Lot of arranged marriages also help with stability as allied vassals cannot rebel.

Having Insular Christianity is basically cheating as you have zillion spare sisters/uncles/kids to marry off to and every Insular vassal can marry 3 women and they usually have a free spot for a quick marriage.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thanks.

PittTheElder posted:

Peasant Rebellions are largely random (and also easy to defeat, especially if there's a civil war raging that will wipe their armies for you) those are best ignored. Popular Opinion is what drives it if you want to look into it, but the main thing is don't do long Offensive Wars.

Hrm, my previous ruler chained offensive wars as I tried to clean up some border gore (usually wars of my empire against a county or a duchy). Had a pretty high Offensive War modifier. Not sure what I can do to better gobble up territory while managing that.

Re: Alliances -- how do alliances go across generations? They don't seem to? e.g. if my king marries off his daughters and secures alliances, the heir ... won't have those alliances, right?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

alcaras posted:

Thanks.

Hrm, my previous ruler chained offensive wars as I tried to clean up some border gore (usually wars of my empire against a county or a duchy). Had a pretty high Offensive War modifier. Not sure what I can do to better gobble up territory while managing that.

Re: Alliances -- how do alliances go across generations? They don't seem to? e.g. if my king marries off his daughters and secures alliances, the heir ... won't have those alliances, right?

I mean, surely if it's your empire vs a county or duchy the war should be over fast enough such that offensive war penalties aren't really an issue? You don't need to fight their armies or defend your territory in that case, just rush your siege over to the objective and get that 100% warscore.

And it's correct that alliances don't carry over across generations.

Edit: Something I like to do to secure stability is, if you're not abusing dread to make everyone too scared to rebel, is bribe/sway people that have joined factions who have a fairly high opinion of you already. If it gets over a certain threshold they'll leave the faction. If there are more than a few you can just try and choose the ones with the largest military power, that can make the factions too weak to present an ultimatum.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 21, 2021

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Yeah, I think I had one drawn out offensive war that stacked up a big malus (it was early in my reign and had rebellions spawn during it and I didn't want to White Peace out and...). Learned not to try to offensive wars early in a reign :)

It does take forever to raise and lower troops for each small war though, I wish there were a way I could just raise a few troops instead of all.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

alcaras posted:

Yeah, I think I had one drawn out offensive war that stacked up a big malus (it was early in my reign and had rebellions spawn during it and I didn't want to White Peace out and...). Learned not to try to offensive wars early in a reign :)

It does take forever to raise and lower troops for each small war though, I wish there were a way I could just raise a few troops instead of all.

You can interrupt troop gathering by hitting the X button on the army that has the countdown until it finishes mustering, or by crtl-clicking to force the army to start moving even though it's not yet finished mustering.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

alcaras posted:

Yeah all you can really hope to do is keep wars short. But to reiterate, it's generally best to treat Offensive War as just a number, and deal with the peasant uprisings that follow. Unless you're using Scandinavian Elective it's very safe to ignore Popular Opinion (and if you're Asatru you don't have the Offensive War penalty at all anyway, it's a Religious Tenet thing).

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Serephina posted:

You can only get crusades called on you if you're not Catholic!

English is actually really good to defend as everyone disembarks piecemeal and half-starved. Those malus' add up! But with only 10k total units vs all of Catholic Europe you might be in the hole there, mate.
I survived the deluge. I had about 6K men at arms, more than I'd thought. Called in everybody with more than 1000 troops from alliances and dynasty, made the troop numbers roughly even. I stacked all my men at arms together and played whack-a-mole in southern England, while I sent a few thousand levies to besiege the undefended papal territories. That plus a couple of well-timed mercenary hires and I won pretty handily.

E: and then I hit the wrong button and surrendered to Anglo-Saxon populists and lost a third of England to them :negative:

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 22, 2021

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

The best way to smooth out succession is to keep a few spare family members around and use them to secure alliances with the biggest vassals who join the post-succession coalition. That and keeping a decent treasury. I make a point of trying to have enough money to buy the mercs necessary to fight my biggest threat, whether it's a neighbor or my own vassals.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
It is pretty weird how having too stable AI blobs is annoying, but player blobbing has to be supported because it feels so bad playing with less pieces after a succession. I wish I could just roll with succession and roleplay it out instead of gaming it when my current guy is almost dead by extorting subjects and selling titles to make sure my preferred son inherits a big treasury.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Eh Byzantium is the only blob I have an issue with not breaking up

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Good news: I've gotten my dynasty to take over Byzantium!

Bad news: I'm no longer dynasty head because the Byzantine Emperor is. :-/

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm just trying to avoid game over. I don't mind inheriting less territory at all. Especially because it gives me an excuse to slowly move across the map. But you do gotta stop those factions, so if I have enough alliances and knights and am old, I just let my children sit around single for my heir to benefit from.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Yes! Finally! My alcoholic failson of a nephew who unexpectedly won the vote when his uncle was poisoned 6 months in held on to become Sea-King!

Also my vassals have been busily conquering Wales and Prussia without me, and yes, that is Italian Holland, why do you ask?

E: celebrating with a literal goblet of mead.

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 23, 2021

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Befriend seems brokenly strong. Just Befriend your councillors and Befriend your powerful vassals and uh, well, no rebellions!

Now that my empire is enormous (it's about 1250 AD, tempted to try forming Slavia though it'll involve a slugfest with the Byzantines for the parts of Slavia they own), I tend to open ruler Lifestyle trees like so:

Diplo (Foreign Affairs for +3 Diplomacy) -- I don't find I need the Fertility or Prestige from the other options
Spend about 5 years here, enough to pick up:
Befriend, Groomed to Rule, Confidants, Flatterer

I don't find the rest of the tree or anything else in Diplo worth picking up. (Though maybe Forced Vassalage in the Diplomacy tree casus belli is worth it? Not sure what's eligible to be Vassalized though -- would it enable me to war on various neighboring Kingdoms and have them become my vassals, or do they need to be de jure land for that to work? Or is it anyone to whom I can offer vassalage (almost no one is able to accept, sadly)?)

I get Diplo early so as to stabilize the succession -- Befriending Powerful Vassals is huge.

Here there's a choice:
I'm fine financially and don't need to build buildings.

If I'm fighting wars against equal power enemies (this doesn't seem to be the case in the late game, when I'm just much more powerful and can hire mercs, but early game this is very strong):

Martial, picking Chivalry for the +5 Advantage.
Then basically fill out the (very good) Strategist tree.
Pick up the right side of Gallant down to +4 Knights.

If I need money:
Stewardship (picking Wealth) down to Avaricious.

If I want to build (can cheese with the Lifestyle once-a-lifetime reset):
Stewardship (picking Wealth) down to Architect.

Lastly I sometimes pick up Scholar's right side (down to Scholarly Circles, and sometimes picking up Pedagogy) if I want to push along Cultural Fascinations.

Lately I've just been educating heirs in Stewardship then opening with Diplo into Architect (I'm sitting on like 10k gold while constantly building buildings and going to war, so I figure I don't need Avaracious at the moment). Once they finish Architect I dabble into Scholarship.

Anything I'm missing Lifestyle wise?

Dynasty-wise I'm done with Blood + Martial and picked up Kin2. Not sure where to go next. Nothing seems particularly attractive of useful if my goal is to form Slavia.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Really wish I had double-checked the Game Rules I had set before starting my Russia campaign, because I get Northmen invasions targeting Vepsia, Luki, and Novgorod every 5 loving years. It's not exactly a big deal for me right now, as I can easily field 40k levies, but it's annoying having to swat these flies all the time while I'm busy warring elsewhere to expand the influence of the Kievan Rus'. At the very least I get an easy 400 gold each time they show up to get stack-wiped thanks to the Making a Killing perk. Really loving love the new Norse Pillage dynasty perk tree. I hope we'll see more unique cultural or regional perk trees in the future, though it's going to be really hard to top that pillage one.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

alcaras posted:

Befriend seems brokenly strong. Just Befriend your councillors and Befriend your powerful vassals and uh, well, no rebellions!

It's harder to befriend people if you already have a lot of friends, or if they don't like you much; and eventually the game will make you have to choose between your friends. Befriend isn't like "guy I talk to on discord a few times a week", it's like "dude I would totally help move, or help move bodies"

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

They really should make the Kingdom of Finland into Kingdom of Suomi if its held by the locals and maybe rethink the name for Duchy of Finland, maybe Duchy of Aboa, or Duchy of Finland Proper.

EDIT: Also its not nitpicking, the developer is Swedish so they should know better since it used to be part of their kingdom. Kingdom/Grand Duchy of Finland is what was made by the Russian Empire in the 19th Century and no-one called the Abå/Turku region Finland without meaning the entire eastern part of the kingdom that is everything from Turku to Vyborg and north until Kajaani/Oulu region.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 23, 2021

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

zonohedron posted:

It's harder to befriend people if you already have a lot of friends, or if they don't like you much; and eventually the game will make you have to choose between your friends. Befriend isn't like "guy I talk to on discord a few times a week", it's like "dude I would totally help move, or help move bodies"

It was pretty jarring when my Best Friend, the Byzantine Emperor, declared war on me for Sweden (he had a claim). The message started with "My dear friend..."

(We white peaced out after he ran his 40k stack into my 20k stack that was sitting on a mountain province and remained besties).

--

Speaking of stacks ... how do folks manage attrition from going over the supply limit? My "strategy" right now is to raise everything, ctrl-click when it I see MaA are raised (there's usually a discontinuity / big jump when this happens, not sure exactly when this is but I go from 5k to 20k and that's usually it, so that I don't have to go to the fully 40). Then I right click on their capital, taking attrition as I go (since I'm going beyond sieged land). But usually sieging their capital is well worth it.

Questions:
- Should I be doing this? Or is the "proper way" to play micromanaging individual stacks and slowly carpet sieging (this seems horribly tedious to do)
- Should I be grouping my army into one army (instead of the 6-7 it starts out with) controlled by my best general?

alcaras fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 23, 2021

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i usually just split everything into 1.5-2k stacks and put them all around where ever i'm currently sieging so they can converge if an enemy stack shows up

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

alcaras posted:

It was pretty jarring when my Best Friend, the Byzantine Emperor, declared war on me for Sweden (he had a claim). The message started with "My dear friend..."

(We white peaced out after he ran his 40k stack into my 20k stack that was sitting on a mountain province and remained besties).
"My dear friend, I hate to do this to you, but my marshal's gotta take something this season, and I do have a claim on Sweden, you know. Meet you for dinner after the inevitable peace negotiations?"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"Sorry, bro. My bad. I owe you a beer for invading your country. At least only peasants died."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean that is probably more accurate than you think. Unless there is like a historical bloodfued I doubt a nobleman could realistically take war personally or they would have no one left

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

alcaras posted:

Speaking of stacks ... how do folks manage attrition from going over the supply limit? My "strategy" right now is to raise everything, ctrl-click when it I see MaA are raised (there's usually a discontinuity / big jump when this happens, not sure exactly when this is but I go from 5k to 20k and that's usually it, so that I don't have to go to the fully 40). Then I right click on their capital, taking attrition as I go (since I'm going beyond sieged land). But usually sieging their capital is well worth it.

Questions:
- Should I be doing this? Or is the "proper way" to play micromanaging individual stacks and slowly carpet sieging (this seems horribly tedious to do)
- Should I be grouping my army into one army (instead of the 6-7 it starts out with) controlled by my best general?

Control click Raise All Here to get everything in one stack, wait till the MAA muster up, stop mustering, move many/most of the levies into a separate army and disband that, then go besiege the wargoal generally, and then make progress towards the capital.

I definitely avoid storming through 10 provinces worth of attrition, I don't know why you'd do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean that is probably more accurate than you think. Unless there is like a historical bloodfued I doubt a nobleman could realistically take war personally or they would have no one left

There's a whole set of customs around that. "The kiss of peace" and similar things. The friendship will be fine, you guys will sponsor a tournament together or have a sleepover and everything will be right as rain. (Both actually things kings did to show how they were totally burying the hatchet after conflict)