Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Yeah that's the game base. Warmaster uses 40x20 bases for everything except characters.

You could do that for this flying unit but it would be impossible for infantry strips:

I've seen STL files for Warmaster-specific bases that have recessed "trenches" for slotting in strips of dudes/dudettes like you have here, so that the texture would sit flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

jesus WEP posted:

I’m always a bit nervous of throwing something as flammable as meths or ipa into the ultrasonic. probably completely irrational

My buddy puts the models in a small jar of acetone and runs that in the ultrasonic cleaner full of water. No problems to speak of.

he still does this in the garage of course

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

jesus WEP posted:

I’m always a bit nervous of throwing something as flammable as meths or ipa into the ultrasonic. probably completely irrational

I've used mine with meths a good few times, I had a big ebay lot needing stripped and its only a small ultrasonic cleaner, so it was running continuously for about half an hour, the meths heated to about body temperature, so I let it cool back down for a while before running it again, because better safe than sorry. I kept an eye on it obviously, but it was fine.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Don't throw your IPA into a ultrasonic. It will probably be fine but it also may burn your house down. Someone in a discord I hang out in had their ultrasonic cleaner full of IPA spontaneously combust, and would probably have burned their house down completely if they hadn't had quick reactions and a fire extinquisher nearby.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
So if theoretically you were an idiot and forgot to clean out your airbrush... what would that theoretical person do? Soak the whole brush in airbrush cleaner? Something else?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

So if theoretically you were an idiot and forgot to clean out your airbrush... what would that theoretical person do? Soak the whole brush in airbrush cleaner? Something else?

Don't have a good solution but I do know that you shouldn't soak the whole thing, you can destroy the seals that way

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ipa, pipe cleaners, interdental brushes

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Disassemble it and clean each piece as thourouly as you can. Use only airbrush cleaner otherwise you'll melt any plastic bits like the joints (obviously if you're cleaning a piece with no plastic then have at it). Buy some of these dental hygiene pick things, they are cheaper than the hobby ones and work better (and also being made of plastic they won't damage your airbrush). When you tighten the nozzle back on, stop screwing as soon as you feel even the smallest resistance - this is the most fragile piece of the airbrush and many people broke it. Check your reassembly with water, if there are bubbles it's either still clogged or you didn't tighten the nozzle enough.

Source: That theoretical person you're talking about is me 3 years ago, then 2 years ago, and almost a week ago.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Furism posted:

Disassemble it and clean each piece as thourouly as you can. Use only airbrush cleaner otherwise you'll melt any plastic bits like the joints (obviously if you're cleaning a piece with no plastic then have at it). Buy some of these dental hygiene pick things, they are cheaper than the hobby ones and work better (and also being made of plastic they won't damage your airbrush). When you tighten the nozzle back on, stop screwing as soon as you feel even the smallest resistance - this is the most fragile piece of the airbrush and many people broke it. Check your reassembly with water, if there are bubbles it's either still clogged or you didn't tighten the nozzle enough.

Source: That theoretical person you're talking about is me 3 years ago, then 2 years ago, and almost a week ago.

Thanks, I'll theoretically do this!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I've seen STL files for Warmaster-specific bases that have recessed "trenches" for slotting in strips of dudes/dudettes like you have here, so that the texture would sit flat.

I actually got in touch with someone who does just this. It also inspired me to start messing with blender:

The Knights are made by Forest Dragon, but I've created a base with an insert and am adding some 3D grass tufts. Maybe it would print okay?

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I actually got in touch with someone who does just this. It also inspired me to start messing with blender:

The Knights are made by Forest Dragon, but I've created a base with an insert and am adding some 3D grass tufts. Maybe it would print okay?

I lurk in like a dozen 3D printing threads/groups but I don't own one myself (yet), so I don't have a lot of expertise on the actual process side, sadly.

We DO have a really experienced 3D print thread in hobbies/crafts/houses here on SA if you're not already in there.

One day a Saturn will come up for not 1 million dollars and I will finally be made whole. And maybe a PLA printer. And maybe a wash station.

And maybe...

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I lurk in like a dozen 3D printing threads/groups but I don't own one myself (yet), so I don't have a lot of expertise on the actual process side, sadly.

We DO have a really experienced 3D print thread in hobbies/crafts/houses here on SA if you're not already in there.

One day a Saturn will come up for not 1 million dollars and I will finally be made whole. And maybe a PLA printer. And maybe a wash station.

And maybe...

I dont own a printer and have no space for one, but I'll check out to make sure I'm not missing something obvious for when it comes time to printing!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's also a 3d printing for tabletop thread right here in trad games. It's pretty new though https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3959573

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
With the earlier talk about stippling, do you think the stippling technique could replicate/approximate the mottled/tortoiseshell pattern of moth wings like this?

Edit: vvvvv That makes total sense, and I hope my wings come out as good as your capes.

Dienes fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 19, 2021

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I think so, but a slightly faster version would be to use a very small sponge. Which is sort of a less accurate stipple. Really depends on the scale of the object. If it's a little part of the model, stipple. If it's a cape or robe then use a sponge with some stippling for really fine detail touchups.

I'm still very very proud of the sponging/stippling I did for the camo cloaks on my space marine snipers, which was just done with an eyeshadow sponge and mixing a grey scale gradient from black and white

So for that, start with a black base. Then sponge grey, then an orange brown, then mix off-white or a pale yellow into the orange brown to do the bright colors. Something like that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Crossposting from the BattleTech thread.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Finally finished up my Fortress-class DropShip. Not sure what I'm going to call it yet. Probably the Quilt or the Patchwork or something.

The mapscale Atlas is for scale.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Harvey Mantaco posted:

https://spraygunner.com/createx-4008-restorer-4oz/

Disassemble and soak metal parts (not the body). Do not spray it through the airbrush.
You can strain, rebottle and reuse the restorer afterwards.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Finished painting up this bloodbowl werewolf! Really happy with how these guys are coming out so far.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 20, 2021

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Verisimilidude posted:

Finished painting up this bloodbowl werewolf! Really happy with how these guys are coming out so far.

Another great one; a simple scheme executed cleanly paying back dividends. That verdant green looks fantastic. I must have missed the zombie lineman earlier but that skin tone gradient is also excellent.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Can somebody from Europe recommend a good bottle shaker that isn't overpriced? I only need it for the more difficult paints like "Liquid Pigment" and some metallics, or bottles I haven't used for a few months.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Furism posted:

Can somebody from Europe recommend a good bottle shaker that isn't overpriced? I only need it for the more difficult paints like "Liquid Pigment" and some metallics, or bottles I haven't used for a few months.

I just got one of these. Not the most powerful thing in the world but it works just fine.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Does anyone have any tutorials they can share for blocking off with tape / painting those cool fleur-de-lis and such on Bretonnian models?

Chunkystyle
Sep 7, 2018
Did couple of more blood ghosts. Kinda happy with photographing this time!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Chunkystyle posted:

Did couple of more blood ghosts. Kinda happy with photographing this time!

I love the gloopy blood ghosts. Everyone's seen spooky ghosts, spectral ghosts, wispy ghosts, and gossamer ghosts. These guys are all messy, moist and ready to mangle.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Help me pick out some paints, friends!

I've been having fun following the fairly basic painting guide for the clanrats and I will finish this regiment soon, I'm down to 5 more rattos and then its time for a second regiment.

Now, I've been having my own ideas for a paint scheme. It's going to be a modification of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAU8Xv_U3lA

I want to use matte black as the primer, and I want to use kind of a brownish, rusty and metallic cover for the weapons and metal bits for my next one. Agrax and Leadbelcher worked great, i will likely just continue to do that.
For clothing, I wanted something that was like a purple. I've got Army Painter Purple and i bought Genestealer Purple for a lighter shade. I've heard good things about using Nuln Oil as a shader, what do you guys think? Also with purple, I wanted to use a very bright green for the warpstone and such, what as the best ways to get that creepy, glowy green for poison-tipped blades and warpstone powered weapons and stuff?

That's the general Aesthetic i wanted to go for my personal rat army, a nice 90's kid's show aesthetic with bright purples and greens, poison with green and opulence with the purple. I even came up with my own idea for a clan( I'm going to assume the fact that you just pick a clan type, each of which has millions of sub-clans is an open invitation to make up your own fanfiction.). I've even been looking into doing a bit of Kitbashing, having seen someone put a Verminlord's head and tails on a slaneesh thing. This hobby is fun

Kitbash I found:

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 22, 2021

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

So I didn’t realise until too late that dreads aren’t supposed to be chicken walkers. Battletech / Blood Angels crossover!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I've been having fun following the fairly basic painting guide for the clanrats and I will finish this regiment soon, I'm down to 5 more rattos and then its time for a second regiment.

Now, I've been having my own ideas for a paint scheme. It's going to be a modification of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAU8Xv_U3lA

I want to use matte black as the primer, and I want to use kind of a brownish, rusty and metallic cover for the weapons and metal bits for my next one. Agrax and Leadbelcher worked great, i will likely just continue to do that.
For clothing, I wanted something that was like a purple. I've got Army Painter Purple and i bought Genestealer Purple for a lighter shade. I've heard good things about using Nuln Oil as a shader, what do you guys think? Also with purple, I wanted to use a very bright green for the warpstone and such, what as the best ways to get that creepy, glowy green for poison-tipped blades and warpstone powered weapons and stuff?

That's the general Aesthetic i wanted to go for my personal rat army, a nice 90's kid's show aesthetic with bright purples and greens, poison with green and opulence with the purple. I even came up with my own idea for a clan( I'm going to assume the fact that you just pick a clan type, each of which has millions of sub-clans is an open invitation to make up your own fanfiction.). I've even been looking into doing a bit of Kitbashing, having seen someone put a Verminlord's head and tails on a slaneesh thing. This hobby is fun

Kitbash I found:

I haven't tried it but Tesseract Glow is a contrast paint for all the glowy bits on Necrons so that might work for Warpstone and poison blades if you play around with layers and tinting.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Kitbash I found:

Sounds like a good strong colour scheme, you'll have to post pictures when its done!

Tesseract glow might be good for warpstone like Eej said; Its what I used to paint the magic flames on this guy;

Literally just white undercoat, then slap on the Tesseract Glow. It naturally pools green in recesses and leaves the raised areas tinted yellow. You could go in with some white afterwards if you wanted to push the effect I think. Also makes for easy mode object source lighting, as its quite translucent you can slap it on top of your base colours to give a passing impression that the flame is casting light onto the figure.

If thats too bright you could maybe think of Hexwraith Flame, its a similar idea but the effect isnt as pronounced and its a more sickly green, less yellow and vibrant. Not the best picture but this guy

Is just white undercoat, Hexwraith flame, and a white dry brush.

You can use both of course, this guy

had his magic flame painted with Hexwraith, then the end (and the bit in the middle where a flame was sort of forking off) was heavily drybrushed white and then Tesseract glow over that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Got another gloss varnish of a different brand and this one tints blue instead of yellow. But unlike the previous one over bare white plastic there's no colouring at all. Think it's reacting with the white primer I'm using. I'm ruining a lot of plastic this week.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 22, 2021

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I finished another take. I know I'm going to redo the sword, whenever I figure out what that's going to be, but I do like how some of this turned out.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

sassassin posted:

Got another gloss varnish of a different brand and this one tints blue instead of yellow. But unlike the previous one over bare white plastic there's no colouring at all. Think it's reacting with the white primer I'm using. I'm ruining a lot of plastic this week.

You can always use pieces of sprue to test on.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I finished my first squad of Clan-rats.

Tons of fun, very enjoyable. Glue for the base is still drying but this...this a good hobby. I liked it. The warhams community is pretty great and kind.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Crossposting for Space skaven love

The back piece that goes up top is just warpstone, with chain dangling holding even more warpstone.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Needed a break, painted a tiny Ian McKellen

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Blocked in all the colors for this Valor Korp general. I think I want to go for a colorized black and white photo look, so I won't be going much further than this in terms of definition. Really happy with the color choices here as I start working out how to paint this army quickly. Sticking with as few steps as possible, this took me about 30 minutes to get to this point.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Winklebottom posted:

Needed a break, painted a tiny Ian McKellen

Now throw him down a neverending hole and he'll come out the other side white and that's how you paint white.

nice work :)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Finished this model I think (except for some kind of varnish, but I'll hold off until I finish a few more). Really happy with the glow effect but I can't seem to capture it effectively on camera, it's much more noticeable in person since the blue of the coat and the glow of the blade are very different saturation levels and tones.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Last Christmas my 6 years old convinced his grand mother to buy him one of the new SM vs Necron box. I asked him if I could paint the two "bosses" but he said I should paint them all except a couple he wanted for himself. Cool, free minis to train / test on!

So I painted Shiny Marines as a way to test a metallic base with something like 6 or 8 layers of ink glaze over it. I think they turned out a little too dark but I kind of like them.

The main problem with this is you can't really gently caress up it seems. Mistakes are virtually impossible to fix, unless you re-do the whole process for even the slightest wrong brush stroke. I wasn't that committed to them so I was just extra careful, but there are a bunch of mistakes that are hard on the eye. Oh well, I really like how shiny they are. I used Vallejo Metal Varnish and it seems to be giving just the right amount of gloss.

Sorry for the crappy pictures.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Verisimilidude posted:

Finished this model I think (except for some kind of varnish, but I'll hold off until I finish a few more). Really happy with the glow effect but I can't seem to capture it effectively on camera, it's much more noticeable in person since the blue of the coat and the glow of the blade are very different saturation levels and tones.

That is a very cool glow effect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Thanks, he's going down the first neverending hole I find, together with his balrog buddy once I get that done