Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

nut posted:

Has anyone posted documentary recs on here? I saw someone post recently about cold case hammarskjöld so i'll check that out but does anyone else have anything? I watched the Mirage Men one recently but found it incredibly disappointing

Its not a documentary but I watched Mr Freedom again the other day and it ruled. A very good and accurate portrayal of the CIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

nut posted:

Has anyone posted documentary recs on here? I saw someone post recently about cold case hammarskjöld so i'll check that out but does anyone else have anything? I watched the Mirage Men one recently but found it incredibly disappointing

there is an OKC documentary out there that is somewhat complimentary to Painting’s stuff. at the very least she and the director of it were on the Opperman report together.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Danger posted:

there is an OKC documentary out there that is somewhat complimentary to Painting’s stuff. at the very least she and the director of it were on the Opperman report together.

I think this is it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trN122LbnWA

lol at the video name

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Ah yes, nazi publishers that believe the djinns control the world :laugh:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Goddamn it
https://twitter.com/Kenmore_Dave/status/1385350211032207367

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

NOOOOooooooo!

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

Ah yes, nazi publishers that believe the djinns control the world :laugh:

They say conspiracy theories is Marxism for idiots.
It's no surprise that Nazis fall into similar, dumber, conspiracies like "Global financial institutions are controlled by Arab wizards."

nut posted:

^ Great post!

Thanks! I debated actually writing out that post several times thinking "If I write about The Mothman Prophecies in the Epstein thread I might as well start saving my toenail clippings or something." But I'd glad some people found it interesting.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
new ghis art dropped

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Some courtroom sketch artists have genuine talent and it makes me want to see their fantasy animals, robots and landscapes.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Delta-Wye posted:

new ghis art dropped

lol the judge looks like matt gaetz

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

is that arm hair?

or dirt?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

inferis posted:

is that arm hair?

or dirt?

Forearm shadowing

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

what happens to all those court paintings later

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Delta-Wye posted:

new ghis art dropped

Looks like a tik tok video

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
https://youtu.be/etHfZsI19-w

Edit: this is a good use of technology imho and represents the peak of civilization as we know it

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Why the hell do we still have court painters, anyway?

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

WrightOfWay posted:

1. Tradition.
2. It's cool.
3. Keeps cameras out of courtrooms for a variety of legitimate and illegitimate reasons.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

WrightOfWay posted:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Big_(police_procedure)

quote:

In a Mr. Big case, also called the Canadian method, the police usually place the suspect, typically someone socially isolated and financially disadvantaged, under extended surveillance, typically for weeks. Having thus learned about the suspect's personality and habits, the police develop an interactive scenario. Pretending to encounter the suspect by happenstance, an undercover operative solicits a small favor from the suspect, perhaps to fix a flat tire. Exploiting this acquaintanceship, the operative soon offers entertainment, gifts, companionship, meals, and eventually employment.

The undercover operative pays the suspect appreciable money for petty tasks, such as counting cash or making deliveries, associated with fictitious criminal activity. As these tasks grow in importance and frequency, the suspect is treated as an "up-and-comer" in a criminal organization. As many as 50 operatives may be involved, crafting "a steady escalation in association, influence and pressure, leading up to the creation of an atmosphere in which it is deemed appropriate to encourage the target to confess".[3] Eventually, the suspect is introduced to Mr. Big, the fictitious crime organization's kingpin, actually a skilled police interrogator.

Employing enticements and threats, Mr. Big tells the suspect of receiving from the police incriminating information about the suspect, whose impending arrest threatens the gang—why Mr. Big must know the unsolved crime's details. Mr. Big may offer to clean up the situation by framing someone else, perhaps a terminally ill confederate willing to take the fall for the gang. Or Mr. Big might claim that a mole within the police department can tamper with incriminating evidence. Sometimes, the confession is demanded to show good faith, loyalty, or trustworthiness, or serve as "insurance", to Mr. Big. The final meeting is usually recorded.

Once the police either obtain a confession or become convinced of the suspect's innocence, the lavish lifestyle and elaborate underworld evaporate, and (where a confession has been obtained) the suspect is arrested. The Mr. Big technique is often a last resort in cold cases, or where the police's strong suspicion is paired with insufficient evidence. The Mr. Big technique has been used to secure convictions in hundreds of cases, and has been highly effective in obtaining confessions from guilty suspects. Still, the technique also gives some innocent suspects compelling motivation to remain in the criminal organization; to maintain the new lifestyle and new friends, falsely confessing to Mr. Big may then seem an acceptable risk.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

where the police's strong suspicion is paired with insufficient evidence

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jesus Christ

edit: I am now even more paranoid of strangers

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

That Mothman post was absolutely incredible, well done.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

agreed, good post

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Let's work this case the way they do up north Joe, that's right the old Canadian snare trap

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

i posted a few weeks ago about a dateline I listened to that revolves around this and was presented as a cool and sly technique. it also explains a lot more of the nova scotia poo poo. also I’m willing to bet the “fake” parts of the plot aren’t so fake.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

like the rmp are legit running illegal smuggling operations to fund whatever and as a fun bonus can illicit confessions from people

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Danger posted:

i posted a few weeks ago about a dateline I listened to that revolves around this and was presented as a cool and sly technique. it also explains a lot more of the nova scotia poo poo. also I’m willing to bet the “fake” parts of the plot aren’t so fake.

So the cops get an unwitting confederate AND a convenient patsy! That's just good business.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Danger posted:

like the rmp are legit running illegal smuggling operations to fund whatever and as a fun bonus can illicit confessions from people

Well, if the CIA have a moth man

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i wish mothman and flatwoods had gotten even more traction as gay icons. i like to think it wouldve made gray barker and john keels ghosts smile even brighter.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
idk if this belongs here but i saw it and am just laughing my loving rear end off

https://twitter.com/MichaelBKelley/status/1385985667147120647

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I always knew there was something fishy about ol' Edward "HEY EVERYBODY, THE NSA IS SPYING ON YOU! USE TOR FOR EVERYTHING! NO ONE CAN SPY ON YOU IF YOU USE TOR!" Snowden.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lol that the Texas governor who was sitting next to Kennedy in Dallas went on to be Nixon's Treasury Secretary who ditched the gold standard.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Atrocious Joe posted:

lol that the Texas governor who was sitting next to Kennedy in Dallas went on to be Nixon's Treasury Secretary who ditched the gold standard.

lol that the book depository was owned by a guy that kennedy had pissed off

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

lol that the book depository was owned by a guy that kennedy had pissed off

heck, if we wanna do JFK then I will absolutely do this. I'm fresh off McVeigh and my mind is destroyed.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I always knew there was something fishy about ol' Edward "HEY EVERYBODY, THE NSA IS SPYING ON YOU! USE TOR FOR EVERYTHING! NO ONE CAN SPY ON YOU IF YOU USE TOR!" Snowden.

https://twitter.com/MichaelBKelley/status/1386052224074256386?s=19

wrong bitch snowden owns

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Wait what?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

mycomancy posted:

Wait what?

He agreed to take the money and speak just so he could call out the guy running it as a con man running a ponzi scheme and ruined the guys event.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ace of Baes posted:

He agreed to take the money and speak just so he could call out the guy running it as a con man running a ponzi scheme and ruined the guys event.

lol that owns

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Ace of Baes posted:

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

what made this guy decide that snowden was his must have guest?