Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I have no idea why but so many of these songs just give me this tense feeling in the pit of my stomach and the game world is so off putting.
I love it.

I think all the comparisons to this game and Ocarina of Time are really funny, because just earlier in the games thread I said that in my mind this game is like a more-realized version of the sort of surreal dread of Majora's Mask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Played halfway through the original on my PS3 before I had the yellow light problem and lost all my saves but this version seems so much better than that one. Glad I didn’t listen to the downers before release saying the new soundtrack was a downgrade and the graphical changes ruin the vibe. Always thought the original looked like a butt and played like one too, very nice improvements all around so far.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

New soundtrack? Sounds about the same to me.

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

Pollyanna posted:

It's definitely remastered. I was worried at first but it's a nice addition.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Huh. It’s been a while, I guess.

Are there any weapons you can only get in the first half?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Pollyanna posted:

Huh. It’s been a while, I guess.

Are there any weapons you can only get in the first half?

Weapons are not missable.

torn grimoire
Mar 21, 2021

something is clearly WRONG

Pollyanna posted:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ChaosArgate posted:

Weapons are not missable.

Sweet!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alright I feel like a dingus. For one, achievements have boss spoilers, don't look at them. Secondly, it has them plainly visible in the form of "beat x boss in under y time." I just beat the first boss and was like "well gently caress, I missed my shot at the achievement. Might as well restart so I can try for it, I'm not that far in and I'm gonna like, 100% most of the rest of the game anyways."

So I restart, beat the little intro, save over my last file, and then decide I should check a full list of achievements just to know if there's any that I should start working on now. Turns out one of the hidden achievements is beating the game in 15 hours! Oops, guess I'm gonna do two playthrough anyways and just wasted the last three hours

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
https://youtu.be/C_oYWIVxgaw

It's godly :worship:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think I like the original Blu-Bird more than this one.

Also, does anyone else’s PS4 sound like it’s going to take off when they play this game?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Alright I feel like a dingus. For one, achievements have boss spoilers, don't look at them. Secondly, it has them plainly visible in the form of "beat x boss in under y time." I just beat the first boss and was like "well gently caress, I missed my shot at the achievement. Might as well restart so I can try for it, I'm not that far in and I'm gonna like, 100% most of the rest of the game anyways."

So I restart, beat the little intro, save over my last file, and then decide I should check a full list of achievements just to know if there's any that I should start working on now. Turns out one of the hidden achievements is beating the game in 15 hours! Oops, guess I'm gonna do two playthrough anyways and just wasted the last three hours

Oh lord, you’re 100%ing it. Good luck.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Also, does anyone else’s PS4 sound like it’s going to take off when they play this game?

Slightly different problem because I have the PC version but the game will constantly get mad and crash during loading and then also crash all of my firefox tabs and also sometimes discord and force my graphics card to restart

e: I guess four of those crashes were when I was trying to start a new game, only one crash during actual gameplay that caused me to lose progress. Starting to get fuckin worried though because there does NOT seem to be many save points around

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
PC version running like an absolute champ for me.

Ryzen 5
16 GB memory
1660 Ti
1080p locked at 60 fps
Xbox controller
Latest drivers

Way better than automata on release.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Oh lord, you’re 100%ing it. Good luck.

Somehow, that feels insufficient.

Anyway, I've been through LPs, but seeing the game in action, some of the contrast between Nier and 2B as protagonists stands out.

After the prologue, both Nier and 2B run into harmless enemies. Nier has no choice but to kill them, because it doesn't matter what the player wants. Nier has to keep Yonah safe.

2B, meanwhile, doesn't have to. Under her mask of cold professionalism, she has empathy for her enemies that comes up in several sidequests.

It's kind of a nice touch, considering late game reveals.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

After spending a while trying to get things to work properly on PC hooked up to my TV I just said gently caress it and did a refund and got it on PS4.

I couldn't get it up to 60fps in 4k (it would sort of jump around between 40 and 60) and for some reason it has a 30fps lock if I turn the resolution down to 1440p while running it on the TV. I'm sure there's probably some way to address this, but I have a feeling it would be a pain in the rear end that I'd have to deal with every time I wanted to play the game (since I'd have to switch to the TV and reconfigure the resolution to a custom 1440p or something).

For some reason my PC generally runs things worse than it should. GPU is a 2080S and CPU should be good enough (an i5 from a couple years ago), but I also have big problems when playing other games that seem unrelated to graphics settings. Cod War Zone, for example, will gradually start running worse and worse as I play it, and even at the beginning (before it goes to complete poo poo and literally drops to 15-20fps) I only get 50-60fps at 1440p that remain the same regardless of what the other graphical settings are).

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

For some reason my PC generally runs things worse than it should. GPU is a 2080S and CPU should be good enough (an i5 from a couple years ago), but I also have big problems when playing other games that seem unrelated to graphics settings. Cod War Zone, for example, will gradually start running worse and worse as I play it, and even at the beginning (before it goes to complete poo poo and literally drops to 15-20fps) I only get 50-60fps at 1440p that remain the same regardless of what the other graphical settings are).

Is it possibly a ram issue? I've upgraded ram several times and it just never feels like enough. Warzone I had to give up on entirely because of ram

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

After spending a while trying to get things to work properly on PC hooked up to my TV I just said gently caress it and did a refund and got it on PS4.

I couldn't get it up to 60fps in 4k (it would sort of jump around between 40 and 60) and for some reason it has a 30fps lock if I turn the resolution down to 1440p while running it on the TV. I'm sure there's probably some way to address this, but I have a feeling it would be a pain in the rear end that I'd have to deal with every time I wanted to play the game (since I'd have to switch to the TV and reconfigure the resolution to a custom 1440p or something).

what's your RAM situation?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
For months my motherboard ran my 3200MHz RAM at 1333MHz for some reason. I felt like a real idiot when I found that out. Went through so many RMAs

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Pollyanna posted:

My geriatric PS4 always sounds like it's a jet engine in desperate need of maintenance.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Gibbering posted:

My geriatric PS4 always sounds like it's a jet engine in desperate need of maintenance.

I had mine uplugged for a good few months because it started doing that triple beep thing like it was constantly trying to eject discs
I finally just took the little plastic button off with a screwdriver and that "fixed" it

whose loving idea was capacitive buttons

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Did they change the dialogue of the infamous fishing quest ? Because the dude explicitly said "the fish is not here but in the other beach"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I have planted flower seeds.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

MonsieurChoc posted:

I have planted flower seeds.
godspeed, you poor, mad bastard

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I had mine uplugged for a good few months because it started doing that triple beep thing like it was constantly trying to eject discs
I finally just took the little plastic button off with a screwdriver and that "fixed" it

whose loving idea was capacitive buttons

Well I'll be damned. The "3 beeps / disk ejection" issue us why I unplugged my ps4 a couple years ago. I do miss Bloodborne so.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'll always have a soft-spot for middle-aged dad Nier but I do have to admit that Nier being a naive little kid kinda does just work better for the story that's being told.
Zach's performance gives him a lot of personality too.

Augus fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 24, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It never really made sense for a Dad to go on two day fishing benders but I still thought it was very endearing

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Being a westerner, I wonder why Bro Nier is considered more relatable in Japan than Dad Nier. Are there just way more deadbeat dads in Japan or what?

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Japan has a modern history of absent father figures, either because they died horribly in WW2 or are dying a living death working salaried jobs 24/7. If you ever played Eathbound, that’s why Ness’s dad is invisible/a telephone.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

hatty posted:

It never really made sense for a Dad to go on two day month long fishing benders but I still thought it was very endearing

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Welp, got the Steam version and my version won't even boot up (and I have an RTX 3060 with an AMD Ryzen 9), just get a white screen.

Ugh, well, good on the people who were able to get it working on PC. I'm probably going to refund this poo poo and wait until SE patches a lot of this.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Hikaki posted:

Being a westerner, I wonder why Bro Nier is considered more relatable in Japan than Dad Nier. Are there just way more deadbeat dads in Japan or what?

i think it was more that the brother was the original concept, then they added dad later to try to be more appealing to the west, rather than the brother being designed to be more appealing to japan

Andrew_Jackson5
Jan 9, 2015

what a web sight

Hikaki posted:

Brother Nier comes from Yoko Taro thinking about and inverting the very anime/JRPG little sister stock characters he wasn’t a fan of, same with Furiae in Drakengard. That character archetype is not prevalent in the same way outside of Japan, so Square pushed for a Dad character for western regions.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Is it possibly a ram issue? I've upgraded ram several times and it just never feels like enough. Warzone I had to give up on entirely because of ram

I suspected this and actually just today installed another 16gb that I ordered (so I have 32gb now). It hasn't addressed the initial framerate in War Zone being lower than benchmarks I've read online indicate (and performance in Nier is the same), but I haven't had the chance to see if it affects the massive drop-off over time yet.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Hikaki posted:

Bro nier's just what the story was originally envisioned with, Dad was the one made with regional appeal in mind. The one anecdote we know of is people from the california office thinking "a young man wielding a giant sword is too silly", which is pretty funny coming from a SE employee, but it was the 2000s I guess.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Motto posted:

Bro nier's just what the story was originally envisioned with, Dad was the one made with regional appeal in mind. The one anecdote we know of is people from the california office thinking "a young man wielding a giant sword is too silly", which is pretty funny coming from a SE employee, but it was the 2000s I guess.

I thought the different versions of Nier were for the PS3 and Xbox versions, and they just scrapped the one version for the Western release?

I think it's very funny though that in 2009 they thought that a brother/sister would be the overplayed version of the game, but accidentally spawned a whole genre of "Grizzled dads protecting their kids" video games in the West and then decided to go with the opposite version for the remake because those are too overplayed now

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
I'm a Dad nier fan but after a few hours, boy nier is pretty good too. I ended up getting it for PC and it's been running fine so far. Have a 3070 with Ryzen 7 3700X and Xbox controller, running at 4k/60. Just after a few hours I don't think I'm hitting 60 100% of the time but I also haven't bothered tweaking any settings or trying some of the fixes that are out, but then I'm not that annoyed by sub-60. So far I'm feeling the nostalgia rush of good memories, especially the music thats in my top 5 OSTs. I don't know if I'll go for literally all endings like I previous did on PS3 but we'll see how much it sucks me in again.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

game good

what level do i need to hit and/or what weapons should i obtain before i can reasonably expect to not get instagibbed by that boar on the northern plains

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I thought the different versions of Nier were for the PS3 and Xbox versions, and they just scrapped the one version for the Western release?

I think it's very funny though that in 2009 they thought that a brother/sister would be the overplayed version of the game, but accidentally spawned a whole genre of "Grizzled dads protecting their kids" video games in the West and then decided to go with the opposite version for the remake because those are too overplayed now

It ended up that way, but the reason they made two versions the way they did is because of those consultations. If anything, the fact that Gestalt was only on xbox and only had an English dub makes it more clear what it was for.

And as far as I can tell, the decisionmaking never factored his relationship with Yonah, it was just "realistic protagonist" vs "skinny boy". Honestly the swap colors Nier's interactions with Emil and Kaine a lot more than with Yonah, though part of that is the original localization outright papering over things like Emil's sexuality.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
https://twitter.com/Theswweet/status/1385757947112804357

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Solovey posted:

game good

what level do i need to hit and/or what weapons should i obtain before i can reasonably expect to not get instagibbed by that boar on the northern plains

0, just jump up on the big rock and pelt it with magic bolts :c00l: