Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Dumb question: How do I press claims of a guest to my court?

My understanding:
1. Recruit them
2. Land them (?)
3. Press claim

I am trying to expand into the steppe and noticed a woman was a guest who had an unpressed claim on a duchy I wanted.

I recruited her to my court -- but when I went to declare war on the ruler of that Duchy, didn't see a CB option.

I conquered a different, neighboring county, and tried to land her -- except I'm Catholic and can't land women.

What am I missing here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Landing them is unnecessary, if you press their claim to a title that's lower than your primary title, they'll become their vassal.

However for religions that have gender preference, you cannot press claims in war unless the current holder is illegitimate in some way. So in the case of a (presumably Christian) woman, you cannot press her claim unless the current holder is a woman or child.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thanks! Any tips for recruiting claimants to my court? All of the others rejected my invitations, even if I sent a gift.

(As an aside, Diplo’s Forced Vassalage CB is convenient for gobbling smaller duchies/kingdoms in the late game)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean that is probably more accurate than you think. Unless there is like a historical bloodfued I doubt a nobleman could realistically take war personally or they would have no one left

I had a lover that spontaneously generated as a Rival. We still had positive rep. That would have been some [i]very/i] spicy bed play...

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Callous with an irritable rival is wonderful because you'll sometimes get messages where your rival throws a temper tantrum and you then lose stress.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea I've got a question about that one, other people's temper tantrums seem to lower your stress regardless of your traits. I thought it was sadistic etc but then got a all-virtue character who also get stress loss from it?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Just go with it man

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Being able to make friends and lovers at will is easy mode yeah. I think that gets to the heart of why it feels like ck2 with a cheat code: you basically do actually have a cheat code button for the interpersonal relations that the game is based on. At the very least friendships and lover relations should take two to tango like real life, instead of being a one sided dice roll heavily in the player's favor.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Kinda wish they took some cues from the Stellaris ethics system and have it so characters holding opposing traits will just never get along

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
"Never get along" seems too harsh. I can see adding something about stress for it. Like from time to time people with opposing traits in the same court or with close ties (marriage, alliance) can either quarrel or get stress.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Some of his stuff is not my bag but I recognize that I'm in my 30s and no longer with It.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Best Friends posted:

Being able to make friends and lovers at will is easy mode yeah. I think that gets to the heart of why it feels like ck2 with a cheat code: you basically do actually have a cheat code button for the interpersonal relations that the game is based on. At the very least friendships and lover relations should take two to tango like real life, instead of being a one sided dice roll heavily in the player's favor.

The "no negative bonuses to seduction" is insanely broken. Like, some people should be a hard no, even if you fill out the tree.

Edit
It should not BE a loving (heh) tree. It should have its bonuses stripped and dispersed among other trees.

I like how if you don't touch the tree, you might have more success with certain personalities on romance schemes than seduction. And you do see a lot more of the incompatible traits bounce off each other.

My favorite interaction I have seen recently? Cynical likes Theologian. Apparently, the cynic just wants to know more and debate. Really more of an agnostic trait than a cynical trait, but whatever.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 24, 2021

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
is there a way to piss off a character to the point they duel me?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

A lot to unpack in this one, but....

1)Yes, my steward is tattling on himself but he's also insistent that:

2)My vassal Asatru Norse Sheikh who just conquered a Welsh Catholic county is very insistent that the old laws of the county imply that none but the "Emir" can be its protector.

3)I am the Emir of Seville.

I feel like that law does not exist, dear Haesteinn.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 24, 2021

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Holy poo poo I gotta vent.

I often like to play this game and try to stay as close to history as I can.

I am the King of England, Wales, and Britanny, I hold most of northern france, which is in a totally turbo hosed state due to me sticking my nose in their successions.
London is like development 28 and my income is +30 with about 3k MaA.

I've been planting my dynasty members all over england and so there is a shitload of de normandie houses.

The only Duchies controlled by non normandies is york and lancaster. I recently landed lancaster so they love me, my heir is a an intelligent sociopath and is married to a genius. When I die the stupid horrible bitch-Dutchess of york pushes a claim the duke of mercia has on the kingdom of england. I get into a loving hellwar and she has about 20k in allies and I am hanging on with like 10k al on my own. My sisters had been married off to secure some powerful dukes from rebelling...

The duke of Mercia is a 60 year old infirm seducer and is on his loving deathbed throughout this war. My plan was to hold out until the duke of mercia loving dies. He doesnt, I lose and he dies immediately of old age.

Mother FUCKERS.

So there was with one loving country in ireland deep in the loving hole. I get myself out of the financial burden and eventually ally castille and aquitaine. I take back my throne but the stupid evil Yorktress dies before I can get her in my monstrous clutches. I intend to extinguish that loving dynasty and eveyone related tyranny is about to loving skyrocket.

I also wanna share what france looks like because I'm kind of proud that without conquering anything there its been a loving thunderdome, this is the most consolidated its been in a couple generations.

Also, something super hosed up, when they wont the kingdomof england they stole everything from me. When I took back the kingdom title I only got the kingdom title and not all of my land.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Do you have claims on it at least? Either way just take it out on those guys by revoking your land back.

I really wish Aquitaine was de jure part of France as part of the 1066 start though, France has such a hard time staying together.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I often like to play this game and try to stay as close to history as I can.

*record scratch*

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Regarde Aduck posted:

*record scratch*

Depending on the start, and world conquering games are boring imo. Staying semi true to historical borders is often really challenging.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's true. It's almost bizarre how many barriers the game throws in the way of things that did happen historically.

Maybe some of that is just that there's a lot of content additions needed from DLCs but yeesh. Then there's the balance issues around Islamic powers, they seem to constantly fall over after 50 years, can't compete with feudal powers at all, let alone threaten the Roman Empire.

E: VVV which warlord accomplishes isn't the point, it's whether any (AI) warlord can accomplish it at all. I can count on zero hands how many times I've seen Turks in Anatolia. Such an outcome is hardly unlikely from the 1066 start, when the Empire should already be staring down a civil war and succession crisis. The only reason they even lose the initial war with the Seljuks is due to a bunch of event troops.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 25, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Not really, there isn’t much stock for it happening how it did historically, considering how what happened depend entirely on the various warlords who led the countries

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I don't bother with conquest, and usually only eliminate someone if I perceive them as an existential threat. If I partition out a kingdom then oh well.

I'm currently regretting making myself Caliph because it overwrote all my laws in any personally held territory. Including lowering my authority to none.

What. You would think my authority would go up.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Turns out if you make your own religion (with spiritual leaders, appointed by the temporal ruler) and then make your heir your court chaplain ... it removes your heir and all his children from the line of succession. Fortunately my character survived the ten years needed to remove the heir from being chaplain, but he didn’t go back into the line of succession (even if I designated him heir) until I made him court physician. Weird. (I guess that pulled him back into the temporal realm),

Separately, would be curious to hear folks’ thoughts on Religious tenets and doctrines. Which are ones y’all would recommend picking up?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i like communal identity if you're going to culture and religion convert lots of provinces (russia). also esotericism for the talk to god decision and making wise man traits virtues

E: oh and make being witches allowed, there’s zero downsides to the form witch cover decision and tons of bonuses

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 25, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
At least some degree of gender equality, because you're just leaving talent on the table if you can't have women in the high council.

I tend to deliberately play small, so I also like polygamy, as this gives any new ruler the ability to make 4 alliances immediately.

I've yet to form my own religion, but I always give a lot of consideration to some form of Syncretism, just because that would let me make alliances with nations that I might otherwise not be able to.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

alcaras posted:

Turns out if you make your own religion (with spiritual leaders, appointed by the temporal ruler) and then make your heir your court chaplain ... it removes your heir and all his children from the line of succession. Fortunately my character survived the ten years needed to remove the heir from being chaplain, but he didn’t go back into the line of succession (even if I designated him heir) until I made him court physician. Weird. (I guess that pulled him back into the temporal realm),

Separately, would be curious to hear folks’ thoughts on Religious tenets and doctrines. Which are ones y’all would recommend picking up?

For min-maxing expanding you can't beat Pursuit of Power, but I don't usually play that way. I will say the only situation where I would consider having Lay Clergy is with Communion + Temporal Head, otherwise Theocratic clergy is better in pretty much every way I can think of. Personally I like to decriminalize as much as possible so my heirs stay out of trouble adultery-wise, though the downside is you have fewer reasons to imprison/revoke vassals. I also prefer Monogamy because I have too many kids anyway it always seems, I don't need a huge amount of spouses or concubines. I could see it being useful early on when alliances are important, but later on you should be able to win any way by yourself.

Esotericism can result in getting the mystic trait, which is flavorful and useful in that it gives you some piety + opinion boost. Ritual Suicide can be useful if you actually want to play as a young character now and then. Mendicant Preachers is probably the best thing for speeding conversion, and Polyamory eliminates most issues related to adultery.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Wise Man/Woman also lets you do a decision that results in some free learning experience if you're in to the learning perk trees (like I am).

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

alcaras posted:

There's a lot of talk on the net that can be found googling for it, and it's mostly on point imo.

My takes:
-I did Lay Clergy + Head of Faith + Communion. You crown yourself King-Pope and everyone who follows your religion throws money at you like mad. It's a hidden income of several hundred gold per month, it's nuts and breaks everything. Would not recommend unless you feel like winning, by a lot.
-A more tame version is Spiritual clergy, so you can have a pet Pop and your chaplain hands over all the gold from temples in the realm. It's balanced!
-Inbreeding things: Divine Marriage does almost nothing, Carnal Communion (sic?) is funny and gives a *lot* of fertility via double-dipping for each gender, but probably isn't worth it. Polyamory lets you have 50 lovers without dramas. Also you get infinite heirs, which can be set to auto-de-bastardization. Makes life easy, would recommend. Concubines give heirs and lets you do stuff like abduct married people. Extra spouses is just more alliances with more headaches.
-Pursuit of Power is just an extra set of holy wars, and that's GREAT.
-Make sure you get your religion right the first time around. Its a huge pain the arse dealing with converting everyone down the to count level (not to mention the holy wars and crusades...), and if you can't afford everything you want then don't do it. Just make your next heir get the -50%(multiplicative) religion founding perk. Note that other -% piety things stack additively, if you see some pre-existing religion you like it's possible to convert for effectively 0 piety.
-Your holy sites inherit from the religion you left.
-I'd probably recommend something fun and role-playish, if you're rolling your own. You don't need to be optimal about it, as by the time you can roll your own and not instantly die to a crusade the game's mostly in the bag.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thanks! I ended up going with Alexandrian Catechism / Escotericism / Pursuit of Power, along with Equal / Righteous / Theocratic. I mended the schism (and am about to reform the Roman Empire) so I'd say this first 867 Ironman playthrough is wrapping up well:

Dumb Q: In the char designer there's no way to configure your own dynasty shield right? You just have to keep randoming?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PizzaProwler posted:

Wise Man/Woman also lets you do a decision that results in some free learning experience if you're in to the learning perk trees (like I am).

Even if you're not top picks in Scholarship are worth it for pretty much anyone if you just do it enough times to get that many perks.

alcaras posted:

Dumb Q: In the char designer there's no way to configure your own dynasty shield right? You just have to keep randoming?

That's a reasonable question, but no there's not currently. It's in the list of "planned features not yet in".

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I really wish you could just appoint new Theocratic vassals. I want Prince Bishoprics god drat it

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

I really wish you could just appoint new Theocratic vassals. I want Prince Bishoprics god drat it

I think I’ve seen some in Germany???

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah the HRE starts with a few, France has at least one, but the AI loves to revoke and feudalize them and there's no nice way to make new ones.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

They also have a tendency to become feudal whenever the holder of the owning changes faiths, which can include if a heresy pops up and they decide to convert (even if they convert back later). It's one of those strange things that arose from the lease feature, and it's up there with the "landless void Spiritual HoF" that I wish Paradox would address sooner than later.

Though my experience is that while a landed, vassal Head of Faith does make for a nice realm priest, they seem to neglect upgrading your domain temples in favor of upgrading their personal domain. Even if they have a ton of money they just can't seem to spend it fast enough. Oh, and vassalizing the Pope or any other HoF isn't nearly as good this time around, as you only tax their domain income, their other income doesn't get taxed.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

PittTheElder posted:

It's true. It's almost bizarre how many barriers the game throws in the way of things that did happen historically.

I'd argue this is the right approach. Big Important Events are often big and important cause people did not expect them. History is not a series of most likely events happening one after another.

I'm much more irritated how many unlikely historical events are basically forced in those games. Hearts of Iron 4 is the most obvious example. Early Nazi international adventures were huge gambles and could have resulted in much earlier but much quicker WW2. I understand why devs didn't want Munchen Conference to result in anything but peace in our time, but it's bad from an immersion point of view.

CK2 had many historical things that would be outright impossible. Like Eastern European rulers switching from Orthodox to Catholic faith at will, or Crusader states having alliances with Muslims. CK3 fixed a lot of that even if AI underutilizes those things.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

ilitarist posted:

Crusader states having alliances with Muslims

Shawar ibn Mujir al-Sa'di would like a word with you. It ended badly but alliances did happen

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 26, 2021

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I like syncretism because it gives me more spouses to choose from. Then monogamy so I don't have too many kids (having 10+ generic kids you don't care about gets old) and ancestor worship so they'll love me.

Generally I'd say pick doctrines that match the way you want to play, which will be pretty different between paint-the-map and storytime playthroughs.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Rynoto posted:

Shawar ibn Mujir al-Sa'di would like a word with you. It ended badly but alliances did happen

I worded it poorly. What I meant is CK2 didn't allow for things like conversion (apart from unreformed pagan => *real* faith) or alliances between people of different faiths. I guess you still could have relatives of right religion to marry for an alliance, but it was weird you couldn't have an alliance without marriage. Charlemagne start date had to push for a lot of events to simulate real history, like allowing for Charlemagne to ally some emirate in Spain and hire some famous dudes and intervene in a war in Italy. I think CK3 allows all of those things to happen under certain circumstances.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I had Inner journey and it was a nice way to destress relatively often and for free. Ascetism is worse, because when your vassals have nothing to do, they spam parties and quickly become sinful revelers. Monogamy seemed better, I couldn't find any concubines (I think last patches changed something about them, but I haven't tried it yet) and game would nag me about being below my concubines limit. And having a lot of children even in a monogamous relationship is easy in this game and I prefer having less of them.

I think I will try Ritual Suicide next time, because having 70-year old obese maimed drunkard murderer as a heir every time si rather annoying.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Convert to Islam and reform with Esotericism / Literalism / Fatwa, go all in on Learning education and lifestyle. Get two virtues for being smarter than everyone else, debate other nobles to gain piety, and justify revoking titles from all your fat, drunk vassals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I'm planning on reforming the Norse Faith. Is there way to keep Blots and not have the human sacrifice?