Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I'm the same way sometimes. Playing Civ6 without wars is fun if the mood strikes.

I really want Endless Space 2 but with less combat and more political stuff/quests :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That said, I have the base game and none of the DLC. I have the DLCs on my wishlist but I haven't felt confident enough to pull the trigger on any of them. They're like £7 a pop even on discount, and I just can't be sure they actually solve the problems I have with the game.

In case this is of interest to you: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/stellaris-discovery-bundle

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

That said, I have the base game and none of the DLC. I have the DLCs on my wishlist but I haven't felt confident enough to pull the trigger on any of them. They're like £7 a pop even on discount, and I just can't be sure they actually solve the problems I have with the game.

Greenmangaming has a sale on (I think it's still on) and there's a humble bundle with a lot of the DLC included. Quite a bit of it is directed at having more things to do in the mid and late game. That said, I kind of agree - I never play any 4X game to conclusion because I enjoy the start so much. Stellaris is great for the race creator and the early game is so much fun.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

I have a love-hate relationship with Stellaris. I haven't played it much, but I really really like the theme; it's the only game where I feel you can make a Star Trek-like universe come to life, without any of the pre-scripted Star Trek IP.

for me, stellaris is a clicker game with a really good space 4X skin. just make all the numbers snowball sky high, while painting the map purple

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=UHdVcxYAP5uarzR2

This should be good for a Stellaris Key.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Truga posted:

maybe the new stellaris patch will alleviate the insane micro needed to keep on top of things post early game if you don't want to let the AI ruin your empire's economy and the game will be good again :v:

Well, it does look like they are addressing shuffling pops around to where the jobs are so that will help a lot.

It's my biggest beef with the end game right now. I have a huge number of planets and most of them are full and I spend a huge amount of time every few years moving pops from the full planets to the planets that need pops and it makes the game slow to a crawl.

edit: I think I would love a game that just goes an order of magnitude more heavily into the 'exploration' X of the 4X formula than even Stellaris.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 17, 2021

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Murgos posted:

Well, it does look like they are addressing shuffling pops around to where the jobs are so that will help a lot.

It's my biggest beef with the end game right now. I have a huge number of planets and most of them are full and I spend a huge amount of time every few years moving pops from the full planets to the planets that need pops and it makes the game slow to a crawl.

I always play with 0.5x habitable planets to help with this, at least for a little while.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

kloa posted:

I'm the same way sometimes. Playing Civ6 without wars is fun if the mood strikes.

I really want Endless Space 2 but with less combat and more political stuff/quests :sigh:

Speaking of which, do you guys recommend any particular game if I want a similar experience? I genuinely like a lot of the research, economics, resource gathering, and exploration that goes into 4x games, but my attention span tends to evaporate when it gets into building fleets/armies and slowly conquering my neighbors. I guess I'm basically looking for a 3x- explore, expand, exploit.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1264280/Slipways/

This may be similar to what you are looking for? They have a 8bit proof of concept somewhere. Anyways, you shoot probes around to reveal the map then plan out your colonies that supply and demand different resources. You can research tech to open up new options like solar farm world to produce energy (wild card resource) or strap rockets on planet to move it around. No combat, each game's only an hour or two.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

Speaking of which, do you guys recommend any particular game if I want a similar experience? I genuinely like a lot of the research, economics, resource gathering, and exploration that goes into 4x games, but my attention span tends to evaporate when it gets into building fleets/armies and slowly conquering my neighbors. I guess I'm basically looking for a 3x- explore, expand, exploit.

Anno 1800 with either: easiest AI (makes it easy to alliance and trade) or straight up no AI competition has been a fun time after playing so much ES2/Civ6.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

kloa posted:

Anno 1800 with either: easiest AI (makes it easy to alliance and trade) or straight up no AI competition has been a fun time after playing so much ES2/Civ6.

Oh hey, you know what? Anno is exactly the itch I was trying to scratch, thank you!!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Omi no Kami posted:

Although it's not quite what you asked for, you could also check out https://store.steampowered.com/app/446000/Stellar_Monarch/.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I don't know why people haven't been creating turn-based town builders that are basically like playing Civ with no opponents and balanced for it.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Banished always hit a similar feeling for me, but since it had so many survival elements it eventually hit the classical survival game problem where once you understand the mechanics well, a lot of it (e.g. tools & furs) become tedious tasks instead of engaging.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Megazver posted:

I don't know why people haven't been creating turn-based town builders that are basically like playing Civ with no opponents and balanced for it.

If you remove opposition then I suppose the instinct is to beef up the town building and then you end up with Anno/Sim *park/Sim City sort of thing.

I'd like a sim golf remake.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Wasn't banished abandoned in a basically incomplete state?

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Nope, it released finished and got some mod support updates a bit later.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Murgos posted:

If you remove opposition then I suppose the instinct is to beef up the town building and then you end up with Anno/Sim *park/Sim City sort of thing.

I'd like a sim golf remake.

Have you looked at Golftopia?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Have you looked at Golftopia?

Never seen it before. Thanks!

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
This isn't _exactly_ a 4X game but I figured this was the best thread for it:

I'm trying to remember the name of a relatively recent game (from within the last 5 years or so) from an Eastern European studio. Fantasy medieval setting with Slavic flavour: there was some kind of great titanomachy and the gods are all dead. You run a settlement of characters and set them to work in various jobs, but also mount expeditions out into the world. When you get into combat, it's card-driven and your deck is built out of the characters you brought.

This ringing any bells for anybody?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mandatory Assembly posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a relatively recent game (from within the last 5 years or so) from an Eastern European studio. Fantasy medieval setting with Slavic flavour: there was some kind of great titanomachy and the gods are all dead. You run a settlement of characters and set them to work in various jobs, but also mount expeditions out into the world. When you get into combat, it's card-driven and your deck is built out of the characters you brought.

thinking that's Thea. i played the first one and there is a sequel which i have not played.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mandatory Assembly posted:

Thea and Thea 2, I imagine.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, that’s exactly it. Thanks, goons.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Those look really neat. I’m gonna play the first one.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Happy Hedonist posted:

Those look really neat. I’m gonna play the first one.

The first game had the mumble duels, so that's the correct choice.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Big day for historical 4X.

- Last update for the Civ VI NFP, maybe ever?
- New OpenDev for Humankind
- New update to Old World with their first scenario

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Anno posted:

Big day for historical 4X.

- Last update for the Civ VI NFP, maybe ever?
- New OpenDev for Humankind
- New update to Old World with their first scenario

When is Old World coming to Steam, my interest is piqued, but not enough to use Epic Store.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

epic store is probably the second or third least offensive launcher imho

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Statutory Ape posted:

epic store is probably the second or third least offensive launcher imho

Oh yea, for sure. The launcher isn't too bad, its a bit clunky, but usable. Its just that I heard it was coming to Steam and was willing to wait it out as there's no shortage of games. I'd probably have taken a punt now if it was a forever exclusive. There's also an element of preferring to just have everything in one place.

Origin is the worst launcher IMO

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It’s coming up on a year, which is sometimes when you see EGS stuff pop up on Steam. It could also just be on EGS for the length of its early access, I think maybe a couple of games have done that.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The game isn't even out of Early Access yet, I somehow doubt we're going to get any news on a Steam release before its actual release date, whenever that is.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Super Jay Mann posted:

The game isn't even out of Early Access yet, I somehow doubt we're going to get any news on a Steam release before its actual release date, whenever that is.

Satisfactory is still in Early Access and came to Steam from Epic Games.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The reach for the stars remake was deeply underrated. Neat races, good colonization system, actually usable ship designer, race-specific tech trees including some that started out with massive hulls and had to research miniaturization, as an example and the only 4x campaign that actually worked, with a persistent "bigger map" that scenarios could be set on a part of, keeping changes that you made in one scenario that would carry over to the rest of it.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
EXTREMELY IMPORTANT NEWS:

For all those that were unaware, in Civ 6 you are now able to Pet The Dog (Select a scout unit, the order should be under there)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

NewMars posted:

The reach for the stars remake was deeply underrated. Neat races, good colonization system, actually usable ship designer, race-specific tech trees including some that started out with massive hulls and had to research miniaturization, as an example and the only 4x campaign that actually worked, with a persistent "bigger map" that scenarios could be set on a part of, keeping changes that you made in one scenario that would carry over to the rest of it.

Is it available to buy anywhere? I see it was a Matrix published thing but they no longer sell it and it's not on steam.

Although I did see:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/354480/Stars_Beyond_Reach/
First time seeing

quote:

Planned Release Date: Unlikely To Ever Release

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Yeah, it was Chris Park's try at making a city builder but it never really worked out. I've played it, and I kinda feel like he realized that what people want in a city builder is not really the kind of game he wanted to make and the various builds are lines of thought leading to that conclusion.

Not turning that into a game is one of the things that ended up putting Arcen in bad times financially.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Panzeh posted:

Not turning that into a game is one of the things that ended up putting Arcen in bad times financially.

Arcen have never understood the difference between a game and a wrapper for all the interesting ideas they had in the last two years. Ideally there would be a fund to give them a million a year to churn out weird projects, but instead it'll be bankruptcy or endless sequels to ai war.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So people who've pre-ordered Humankind can play in a short beta now. Has anyone tried it?

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/humankind-offers-first-four-eras-to-play-in-latest-opendev-2926006

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Megazver posted:

So people who've pre-ordered Humankind can play in a short beta now. Has anyone tried it?

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/humankind-offers-first-four-eras-to-play-in-latest-opendev-2926006

They've had a couple of open beta periods and people have been posting about them in the Humankind thread

The last one was okay, I thought, haven't tried the latest but people seem to be up on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

NewMars posted:

Reach For The Stars had such a cool campaign, but the final mission in it was incredibly unstable for me and kept crashing repeatedly until I was forced to shelve it. Still, a game, nevermind 4X, that had such unique races as one that was so tiny it lived on asteroids and never got anything bigger than destroyers. Another that was the devouring swarms from Stellaris but had to go All In on rushing because its tech tree was less than half the size of the rest of the races, and all of them interacted with the very simple combat system in different enough ways even though it boiled down to whether you wanted to stay at short, medium, or long range. I was pretty disappointed when I found out I couldn't buy a copy that worked on modern systems anywhere (and my own copy has long since been lost in moves over the years).