Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

Meltzer: It's one of those things, um, with, you know, they make you real subconscious [self-conscious] about your looks when you're a woman in wrestling and it's just, it's one of the negatives about it, but it's the reality of it

what a heel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

Here is a transcript of the whole thing Dave said, in the context of Alvarez quickly throwing out other names as well and asking about injury or contract status (Rousey, Orton, Bryan):

Alvarez: Charlotte?

Meltzer: Yeah, so she's, the suspension is a cover reason because she's having, uh, dental work done. So, she's just having a complete makeover, you know, and that's just basically what's happened. It's one of those things, um, with, you know, they make you real subconscious [self-conscious] about your looks when you're a woman in wrestling and it's just, it's one of the negatives about it, but it's the reality of it, and so um...but that's, that's why she's going to be out, that's why she was suspended.

SHOCKING AND APPALLING

Is this legitimately the quote Dave is getting dragged for? :lol:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Wezlar posted:

Is this legitimately the quote Dave is getting dragged for? :lol:

Yes. I went back and transcribed it myself because I wanted to be sure it was as much of a nothing as I remembered. And that’s all of it, after the end of the last sentence I typed they started talking about Orton’s shoulder and then Dave goes on a very Dave ramble about how they work the left side for a worked injury in the United States but the right side in Mexico.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I'm glad we've confirmed what we all knew, that if you criticize the wrestling industry, and specifically the organization that invented women's wrestling, modern WWE, you're a sexist piece of poo poo.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
dave meltzer is a ghoul. he should stop talking about other people and just mind his own busINESS!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Frank Kazarian growing his hair back made me self-conscious about my bald head.

This isn't a joke. I was like "Man I wish I wasn't balding, I should get plugs like Kaz" and my wife said I was being silly.

Roman's new teeth didn't make me want to get my teeth embiggened though.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
get teeth plugs

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Can you phrase that as "I want to get plugs like Kaz"?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Shayna Baszler posted:

get teeth plugs

Hell yeah.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
ALL OF THESE THINGS CAN POTENTIALLY BE TRUE AT THE SAME TIME:

* Dave's intent with the Peyton Royce thing was discussing that it appeared to him that she had difficulty adjusting to wrestling with implants, decided to go vague, and things went to hell when he could have handled it many better ways.

* The Peyton Royce thing still went too far and he was right to apologize for it.

* Dave was deemed an approved target, hence public pile-on.

* The talent were genuine in their feelings nonetheless, even if a few responses (Tyler Breeze's weird he should apologize -> it doesn't matter if he apologized -> blocking spree response) felt off.

* Dave has shown, long-term, that his motives are on the right side of the pro wrestling body image conversation, but has gotten increasingly worse at expressing it, especially relative to the guy 20 years ago who was constantly recommending a book about gymnastics and figure skating so wrestling fans could better understand the pressures on the female performers.

* He move the Charlotte thing too far and too specific/personal and should have reached out to her before saying anything, regardless.

It doesn't have to be boiled down into an entirely black and white argument.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Now that we've got that settled

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

davidbix posted:

* Dave has shown, long-term, that his motives are on the right side of the pro wrestling body image conversation, but has gotten increasingly worse at expressing it, especially relative to the guy 20 years ago who was constantly recommending a book about gymnastics and figure skating so wrestling fans could better understand the pressures on the female performers.

What book?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lolling at this gigantic child story on WOL

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Only Bryan would set up a long term feud with a baby.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Arbite posted:

What book?
Little Girls in Pretty Boxes. Well worth your time and/or money: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CGI3F2O/?tag=bixswrestlinm-20

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
smh should've hid the referral code in a url tag, bix.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i respect bix's hustle lol

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MJeff posted:

smh should've hid the referral code in a url tag, bix.
I WAS BEING TRANSPARENT.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

JOHN CENA posted:

i respect bix's hustle lol

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Rick posted:

I feel extremely owned for reading all these posts about it and that was the quote.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

please use this tag instead to view the book. the money generated goes to feeding my family http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CGI3F2O/?tag=cavauroplaystation5-20

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That guys is a loving fraud, he's just trying to get you to buy him a PS5, use this link instead. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CGI3F2O/?tag=cavauro2playstation5s-20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I desperately want to read a Marvel script written by Bryan Alvarez now.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
dave is sometimes good, but also, sometimes bad

that's my hot take

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

MJeff posted:

That guys is a loving fraud, he's just trying to get you to buy him a PS5, use this link instead. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CGI3F2O/?tag=cavauro2playstation5s-20

Can you blame him? He's out here playing PS4 like a heathen!

El Generico posted:

that's my hot take

In conclusion, Dave Meltzer is a land of contrasts.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Lamuella posted:

In conclusion, Dave Meltzer is a land of contrasts.

Ya know, it's just the nature of the beast.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

El Generico posted:

that's my hot take

Dave, well, what I'm hearing, you know, what some of the people are saying, it's like, well, whatever, sometimes he's good, like, he's OK, it's like he's good, the same way a good MAYYYYTCH is good, but also it's like, well, sometimes he's not good, back when Bret Hart, it was like, no, well whatever, it's like, because Roman Reigns and that's just the way they want to do it, it's like, whatever, sometimes he's bad (swallows so loud it breaks the mic)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Not enough paper rustling , ***1/2

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I don't know why, but I smirk every time Dave says "cool moves".

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Two new Rudo Wrestling previews are up! We talk Impact Rebellion and next week's AEW Dynamite. Support your fellow goons and subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVDPHENR2n0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nbu3bycMY8

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Dave owns

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The LT story from today's show is low key an all time Dave story

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bryan losing his poo poo over trent? is also very good

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that was funny because i was talking to two friends who just started watching aew having never really liked wrestling and they think trent? is cool and funny

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

bryan losing his poo poo over trent? is also very good

I loved how he was saying it would make no sense and people would be confused and put off by it, while at the same time cackling and having a great time thinking about all the possible origins of the name.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Jerusalem posted:

I loved how he was saying it would make no sense and people would be confused and put off by it, while at the same time cackling and having a great time thinking about all the possible origins of the name.

I mean, explaining that he used to be Trent Baretta in WWE, and took the name Trent? as an alternative or the indies but kept it because it was amusing and distinct enough for lowkey real weird Greggy is kind of hard to explain.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
“Trent” is a really good joke.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wazzu posted:

I mean, explaining that he used to be Trent Baretta in WWE, and took the name Trent? as an alternative or the indies but kept it because it was amusing and distinct enough for lowkey real weird Greggy is kind of hard to explain.

Yeah, but my point was that rather than going,"Oh this is too silly, this makes me look down on this company!" new viewers are probably far more likely to joke amongst themselves about why he's called Trent? and come up with fun, silly ideas just like Bryan and Vinny found themselves doing, and that also by happy coincidence (or.... is it!?!) happens to match the same goofy, weird kind of silly energy that Trent? and the Best Friends have

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Bryan is definitely one of those people who just needs every joke to have a punchline or an explanation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPJoker
Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone else checked out the new Fight Game Pod on the Observer site?