Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit

PhazonLink posted:

this would be a great honeypot to reveal all the dumb succlibs that fair weather environmentalists that care more about bank account numbers than climate temp numbers.

e: also can a coin thats the opposite of the empty drives . completely filled drives be made?

Seriously asking. With Americans dropping their hashrates wouldn't this just encourage all the power usage to go to a less regulated country, probably with less renewable energy opportunities in the immediate future?

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Matryoshka SexDoll posted:

Seriously asking. With Americans dropping their hashrates wouldn't this just encourage all the power usage to go to a less regulated country, probably with less renewable energy opportunities in the immediate future?

That pressure already exists, people will always mine where it is cheapest. But higher prices enable additional hashing in places where energy is more expensive (like mining with your gaming PC in the US). It's not like people aren't mining in countries where energy is cheaper already.

Less demand for Bitcoin globally means less money flowing in that pays for current hash rates. Personally, I think trading cryptocurrencies should be banned, but really high tax rates are a good step towards eliminating the idle speculation and huge energy waste that is happening.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Matryoshka SexDoll posted:

The most important contribution from the USA to the bitcoin ecosystem (and to crypto in general) is the USD. Reduce the amount of USD going towards crypto, and the bubble pops. Hashpower is completely irrelevant in comparison.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

LanceHunter posted:

Also, it's great to see Dogecoin really just pull back the curtain on how absurd all crypto is, and causing the true believers to freak out. One of them recently shared this tweet...

https://twitter.com/CoinDesk/status/1385604125031817220?s=20

quote:

“It should not be compared to Bitcoin, which is a store of value. Dogecoin lacks many fundamental attributes of a serious cryptocurrency,” said Boring.

lmao

SunChips
Nov 16, 2006
hello friends, I love vaginas

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
FUNDAMENTAL SERIOUS BITCOIN VALUES:

- seriousness
- number go up to at least 50
- thousands of lunatics online who claim it is a bit like gold, but on your computer machine
- funny nickname that no one has said yet
- no dogs allowed

signed, BORING

SunChips
Nov 16, 2006

Hammerite posted:

- seriousness
- thousands of lunatics online who claim it is a bit like gold, but on your computer machine
- no dogs allowed

signed, BORING

why ae you gay

signed - uganda

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
things that make money but don't make sense will have sense provided later

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

SunChips posted:

why ae you gay

signed - uganda

why do I need a reason to be gay

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Hammerite posted:

- seriousness
- no dogs allowed

signed, BORING

Friday is a paycheck day for many, and bitcoin still isn't able to hit $50k despite a lot of suckers "buying the dip". It'll be interesting to see what happens come the first of the month, a much bigger paycheck day. If that doesn't lead to a recovery, we might in for a real ride.

SunChips posted:

why ae you gay

signed - uganda

Hacked account posting? Things are getting retro around here.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SunChips posted:

why ae you gay

signed - uganda

Don't sign your posts.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I just cash out my bitcoin in drugs like a reasonable person. No capital gains on that

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Fried Watermelon posted:

I just cash out my bitcoin in drugs like a reasonable person. No capital gains on that

You're supposed to pay capital gains even if you use bitcoin to buy something, you'll probably get a stricter sentence for the tax evasion than the possession

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I don't know enough about capital gains stuff to know if you're taking the piss.

Do you really need to pay capital gains tax if you use bitcoin to buy stuff directly?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

MechaCrash posted:

I don't know enough about capital gains stuff to know if you're taking the piss.

Do you really need to pay capital gains tax if you use bitcoin to buy stuff directly?

Yes

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/367764

quote:

Using crypto for goods or services
When you exchange cryptocurrency for goods or services, you are taxed on the increase in value that cryptocurrency has from the time of purchase until the time it is exchanged. For example, if you bought a Tesla with $100,000 worth of Bitcoin, you would need to track when that $100,000 in Bitcoin was purchased, and you would then pay tax on the increase. If that Bitcoin were purchased at a value of $40,000, then there would be a gain of $60,000 when that Bitcoin is then exchanged for the Tesla. If held for over a year, it will be a long-term capital gain and will be at preferred rates. If the Bitcoin was held a year or less, the $60,000 gain will be taxed at short-term capital-gains rates.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

LanceHunter posted:

Also, it's great to see Dogecoin really just pull back the curtain on how absurd all crypto is, and causing the true believers to freak out. One of them recently shared this tweet...

https://twitter.com/CoinDesk/status/1385604125031817220?s=20

They almost understand. They just need to take one more step.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

LanceHunter posted:

Friday is a paycheck day for many, and bitcoin still isn't able to hit $50k despite a lot of suckers "buying the dip". It'll be interesting to see what happens come the first of the month, a much bigger paycheck day. If that doesn't lead to a recovery, we might in for a real ride.

If I am understanding you correctly, Biden needs to send out another stimulus check to fix things?

blakangel
Mar 28, 2004
broken reflection on the surface of never
Looks like I sold a few coins at the right price. Paying off my mortgage Monday :smugdog:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

blakangel posted:

Looks like I sold a few coins at the right price. Paying off my mortgage Monday :smugdog:

Don't forget to keep 80% for your capital gains tax.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

That is really awesome. Also smart move taking a profit and doing something that is life changing.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I am genuinely happy for you mate, keep a good percentage of that squared away for taxes and you're set to do whatever with the rest. You're smarter than literally all the crypto idiots I sometimes see on the Internet, because you actually got out.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Stealthgerbil posted:

That is really awesome. Also smart move taking a profit and doing something that is life changing.

A friend was in a similar position recently, debating selling the last few coins he had CPU-mined a decade ago. I told him: "Look at it this way, there's no way of knowing what the coins will be worth in the future. But if you sell the coins and pay off your house, you'll not only have the house; you'll have the story of having paid off your mortgage with bitcoin."

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Or he could have waited more years and paid off many mortgages

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Or they could crash and he could bitterly regret it into his next six lives.

I do not endorse butts, and would not have blamed this CPU-miner friend if he kept one just in case, but paying off your house seems like a pretty good use

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

blakangel posted:

be aware that the bank also charges a penalty for an early mortgage payoff.

other than that, congratulations, well done!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

tango alpha delta posted:

That depends a whole lot on the terms of your mortgage and your local laws. I know in Texas it is illegal to charge any form of early-payment penalty for a loan or mortgage.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

If you’ve gotten a mortgage in the past e: seven or so years, you probably don’t have a prepayment penalty thanks to Dodd-Frank.

corgski fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 24, 2021

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

blakangel posted:

Crypto still dumb, but congrats on being smart enough to take your win.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

blakangel posted:

but it's impossible to cash out! there's no real money in the system!! etc etc

Congrats brother :cheers:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Pre-payment penalties are illegal federally, with a few small exceptions. Even if he qualifies for one, the penalty is capped at 2% of the loan value, which is still cheaper than a year of interest payments.

E: Unless it's a pre Frank-Dodd loan, but even then, a lot of states had them abolished as userous/predatory lending before then.

Double edit: Convince me not to touch the poop by setting up a Chia farm using my spare hobo-SAN storage space.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 24, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LanceHunter posted:

A friend was in a similar position recently, debating selling the last few coins he had CPU-mined a decade ago. I told him: "Look at it this way, there's no way of knowing what the coins will be worth in the future. But if you sell the coins and pay off your house, you'll not only have the house; you'll have the story of having paid off your mortgage with bitcoin."

The technical term for this is "paper-handed"

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

corgski posted:

If you’ve gotten a mortgage in the past e: seven or so years, you probably don’t have a prepayment penalty thanks to Dodd-Frank.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Pre-payment penalties are illegal federally, with a few small exceptions. Even if he qualifies for one, the penalty is capped at 2% of the loan value, which is still cheaper than a year of interest payments.

"everyone using the forums lives in the United States of America" - American forums users

my mortgage currently does not have an early repayment fee, and I'm taking advantage of that. but for the first 5 years of the mortgage (which ended earlier this year) I was on a fixed-rate deal which allowed overpayments, but specified that the maximum total overpayment in any 1-year period (sliding window) was a certain percentage of the original principal - any overpayments exceeding that limit would have resulted in an early repayment fee being payable.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Fame Douglas posted:

The technical term for this is "paper-handed"

Yes, for the stacks of paper he’s got now that he has no more mortgage payment.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Hammerite posted:

“It should not be compared to Bitcoin, which is a store of value. Dogecoin lacks many fundamental attributes of a serious cryptocurrency,” said Boring.

One such attribute is that I do not have much of it, therefore it is not useful.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hammerite posted:

"everyone using the internet lives in the United States of America" - American internet users

Fixed. See also "reposting for the night crew", otherwise known as "people that live in other parts of the world for whom it is actually daytime right now".

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

salt shakeup posted:

Madoff could cash some people out too as long as he found new bag holders.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

salt shakeup posted:

they sold in the middle of a buying frenzy, idiot

e: and a second exchange in Turkey has collapsed. The authorities caught them before they fled the country this time

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 24, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
In a parallel world on a parallel forum, the person who bought those coins at 63k is complaining about the subsequent crash and falling behind on their mortgage. Makes you think

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Hello Sailor posted:

they sold in the middle of a buying frenzy, idiot

e: and a second exchange in Turkey has collapsed. The authorities caught them before they fled the country this time

LOL - 24hr BTC volume is in the mid $10's of billions, "buying frenzy" or not, get a clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Double edit: Convince me not to touch the poop by setting up a Chia farm using my spare hobo-SAN storage space.

https://chiacalculator.com/

How much space does your hobo-SAN have?

1Tb of storage today is a win every 5 months at the moment and that's getting slower quickly.

blunt fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 24, 2021