Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
"Gosh golly, how do I get to Seaport??" Nier asks, full of poo poo. "Why, through the Southern Gate," Popola answers, knowing full well Nier is being full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Thanks for the RAM timing tip. 3770k @ 4.3 wasn't cpu capped and 1070ti was running 50% so went and peeked my poor DDR3 was only at 667mhz. cranked to 800 where it should have been and getting 60fps now up from 45-50.

Yes my cpu is 8 years old and still kicking.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
poo poo... Booting up the village in PS4 graphics after all these years made me feel such a strong nostalgia. The graphics are no FF7:Remake or anything, but the kind of plein air feel of new version suits it really well. Hearing Devola's new version of Song of the Ancients playing filled me with the same sense of wonder as the first time I heard it :allears:

I know it's a simple, stripped-down, and almost generic rpg town, but the village in Nier just has song a strong feeling attached to it for me.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
https://twitter.com/helpmywaifu/status/1385791621879500801
:allears:
are computers some kind of strange and arcane mystery to Squeenix, or what?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's been a while sine I played the original game, could someone remind me exactly when the time skip happens? I mean, what event kicks off the attack on the village. I'm knocking out all the side quests that aren't a giant pain in the rear end and I don't want to miss out on any because I accidentally progressed too far.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Blaziken386 posted:

https://twitter.com/helpmywaifu/status/1385791621879500801
:allears:
are computers some kind of strange and arcane mystery to Squeenix, or what?

I mean could it be some kind of hidden thing, like that one unlock everything cheat that was found a few months ago.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Veotax posted:

It's been a while sine I played the original game, could someone remind me exactly when the time skip happens? I mean, what event kicks off the attack on the village. I'm knocking out all the side quests that aren't a giant pain in the rear end and I don't want to miss out on any because I accidentally progressed too far.
Right after the Resident Evil Mansion

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Welp, that point of no return came quicker than I expected.

And lol, these are some slow rear end plants in my yard. Five years has passed and these grains I planted still haven't gotten ready to harvest.

Blaziken386 posted:

Right after the Resident Evil Mansion

Isn't it actually right before that event? At least one quest failed right after I returned from the mansion but before the monsters attacked

ymgve fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 24, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ymgve posted:

Welp, that point of no return came quicker than I expected.

And lol, these are some slow rear end plants in my yard. Five years has passed and these grains I planted still haven't gotten ready to harvest.

Time-skip isn't so much the point of no return as the game going from act 1 to 2. There's an actual point of no return way ahead if I'm not misremembering.

EDIT: Anyway, is the game functional? The price tag is kinda making me want to wait but on the other hand I'm nostalgic as hell for replaying Nier so... :unsmigghh:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 24, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

MiddleOne posted:

EDIT: Anyway, is the game functional? The price tag is kinda making me want to wait but on the other hand I'm nostalgic as hell for replaying Nier so... :unsmigghh:

I would get the PS4 version if you want. The PC version has been crashing for me which is making me really nervous with how sparse save points are. Otherwise, runs perfectly fine, but it does eat up all my memory and make my other programs crash

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Only own a Switch so no luck in that department. Kinda getting the impressions from reviews that both newer and older nvidia cards are a hazard-factor presently.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Heh, I bought it on my PS5 and the only thing that happens when I launch the game is loading splashscreen forever, maybe that is the existential anguish I was meant to feel

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

MiddleOne posted:

Time-skip isn't so much the point of no return as the game going from act 1 to 2. There's an actual point of no return way ahead if I'm not misremembering.

It is kinda a point of no return, since NG+ starts you after that point, so any quests missed from there are permanently lost.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm betting that some horrible hack was implemented to prevent a crash because they couldn't fix the actual error.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

It is kinda a point of no return, since NG+ starts you after that point, so any quests missed from there are permanently lost.

I guess.

I'm still awaiting to hear if they kept the OG penultimate point of no return.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I'm doing all the sidequests because I'm stupid. A few of them are good but I've sure spent a lot of time killing goats and moving between towns. Listening to Devola at the fountain for a bit was more moving than I expected. I was also surprised by how much I like brother Nier. Game good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished act 1! The entire climax was fuckin sick, and doing from Forest of Myth to here without any side stuff to distract me really helped me get into the story more

The voice actor for Grimoire Noir is really bad lmao

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

the music for these games is so good it's ridiculous. i dunno if i've ever just stopped, closed my eyes, and listened before

the load times seem a bit excessive but other than that i've been perfectly happy with the game on ps4 pro so far. didn't want to risk pc fuckery given their history

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Really enjoying it so far. I know bits and pieces about the plot from Automata and all of the discourse that surrounded it but I'm interested to see where it goes.

It's weirdly dissonant that the visuals and combat have been modernized so much but the menus and menu sound effects still feel like a late PS2/early PS3 game. I like it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

So, having just finished part 1 and hit the time skip as much as it hurts me to say as a fan of the original game since it came out and a fan of Papa Nier: Brother Nier works better.

I know the dialogue has been reworked some for this version but I feel it's mostly the same and stuff that felt a little weird coming out of Papa Nier's mouth just works for the Brother. Also I never got the feeling that Papa was that much different after the time skip, maybe a little more jaded and he started wearing an ugly eyepatch for some reason. The Brother growing up and getting an entirely different model and voice actor immediately lets you know things are different.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it true item drop rate is tied to difficulty because OH MY GOD farming in the Junk Heap is useless

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
How is the new combat engine? The swords-and-spells of the original was cool but a little basic. I don't expect them to have gone full DMC/Bayonetta but is it a lot closer to how good Automata's was?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just dug around in the Steam folder for the pre-order mini OST and it's literally three tracks. Very mini. :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oneiros posted:

the music for these games is so good it's ridiculous. i dunno if i've ever just stopped, closed my eyes, and listened before

This is one of those rare games where I’ve delayed changing zones just to keep listening to the music.

Pierson posted:

How is the new combat engine? The swords-and-spells of the original was cool but a little basic. I don't expect them to have gone full DMC/Bayonetta but is it a lot closer to how good Automata's was?

I haven’t played the original, only watched videos and read Dark Id’s LP, but from what I can tell it’s a LOT better now. I’m enjoying it more than Automata’s, but I was never very good at Automata’s gameplay.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 24, 2021

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I got on a chat with Amazon customer service to ask about the preorder bonus code not arriving. I think I lucked out cuz the guy I got has no idea what to do and in a panic just refunded me 30 bucks. I definitely came out ahead even without getting any download codes

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

hatty posted:

Played halfway through the original on my PS3 before I had the yellow light problem and lost all my saves but this version seems so much better than that one. Glad I didn’t listen to the downers before release saying the new soundtrack was a downgrade and the graphical changes ruin the vibe. Always thought the original looked like a butt and played like one too, very nice improvements all around so far.

The new soundtrack is at best a sidegrade, but imo a lot of the remixes are just worse than the original. :colbert:

The graphics and gameplay are much improved though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 24, 2021

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

This is one of those rare games where I’ve delayed changing zones just to keep listening to the music.

The Lost Forest was my favorite track in Nier and it's pretty funny the area you could listen to it in was like 10 feet long

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Ytlaya posted:

I suspected this and actually just today installed another 16gb that I ordered (so I have 32gb now). It hasn't addressed the initial framerate in War Zone being lower than benchmarks I've read online indicate (and performance in Nier is the same), but I haven't had the chance to see if it affects the massive drop-off over time yet.

Could be way off base but this sounds like there might be some overheating issues, degraded performance over time running games is usually heating related in my experience. Check the cooler for the cpu is mounted properly, a while back I had one of the corner clips pop out on a cheap lovely cooler I was using, so the cooler lost full contact with the cpu and caused problems similar to what you described.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What’s this about that boar being hard, again?

https://twitter.com/retrocombine/status/1385980444097892352?s=21

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Escobarbarian posted:

Finished act 1! The entire climax was fuckin sick, and doing from Forest of Myth to here without any side stuff to distract me really helped me get into the story more

The voice actor for Grimoire Noir is really bad lmao

Grimoire Noir wears blackface so take no pity

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LMFAO, forget performance issues. Game won't even boot, just white screen of death.

EDIT: Thank god it was just a file integrity error.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 24, 2021

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

I guess there is some hidden enemy level mechanic because the first time I encountered the boar a hit took over half my health bar, but returning a few hours later a hit took much less of my health bar

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

You absolute, utter coward scrub :colbert:

Rumour has it I might have taken the same approach. Just like back in the day.

ymgve posted:

I guess there is some hidden enemy level mechanic because the first time I encountered the boar a hit took over half my health bar, but returning a few hours later a hit took much less of my health bar

For sure. Certain enemies in the world show up early enough that you aren't necessarily best placed to deal with them, but hey, you're welcome to have a pop nonetheless. But mostly you'll come back later. That boar just has the misfortune to be in a place where there is a big rock that can protect the player.

Edit: It has been long enough since I played Nier Gestalt that I don't have a good read on the combat differences between that and Ver 1.22. I don't have any particular memory of disliking the combat back then, but regardless, certainly enjoying it now. I appreciate it isn't as deep as many other games, but I'm always fine with 'sufficiently engaging' mechanics that don't ask *too* much of me, since I'm generally not playing games *for* the combat.

magimix fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 24, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

You can just, like, roll out of the way of the boar.

But yeah the first time I met him getting hit by it nearly one-shot me, but an hour or so later it only took half my health.

Are people turning on enemy health bars? I'm torn between wanting to know how much health stronger enemies have and how ugly the bars are.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

ymgve posted:

I think its less 'hidden level mechanics' and more Nier having utterly batshit level scaling, iirc.

You start with 100HP, then by the end of the game you have like several hundred thousand.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Question for the OG experts: is this section in the second half with Seafront and you exploring a shipwreck completely new to this remake, or was it previously in a Japanese version but not a western release?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Escobarbarian posted:

Question for the OG experts: is this section in the second half with Seafront and you exploring a shipwreck completely new to this remake, or was it previously in a Japanese version but not a western release?

As a gameplay thing, entirely new. But it was the subject of a short story in Grimoire Nier.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BisbyWorl posted:

As a gameplay thing, entirely new. But it was the subject of a short story in Grimoire Nier.

Thanks! That’s very cool that they managed to put it in.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Son of a bitch I think they changed the quest split to 50/50 for the remake and the uncertainty is making me paranoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BisbyWorl posted:

Son of a bitch I think they changed the quest split to 50/50 for the remake and the uncertainty is making me paranoid.

I definitely did every quest in the first half and it was on 50