Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

laserghost posted:

Cutscenes are raw video files, MP4 format I think. And some of them are in 3840x2160 format so they desync and lag when your PC tries to scale them down to your display resolution.

site posted:

No, they are poorly upscaled versions of the videos from the original release of the game so every file is like 5 times the size but looks about the same so the game needs a (comparatively) huge amount of hd space

I like the game itself tho, and the fan service

Ah, that's somehow even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bill Murray sounds so :geno: in that game. Even more than his usual not caring roles.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Like The Thing game the Ghostbusters game shoulda been an FPS.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SeANMcBAY posted:

Bill Murray sounds so :geno: in that game. Even more than his usual not caring roles.

Thats okay venkman is the least interesting character anyways

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I have never seen Ghostbusters. AMA

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i was disappointed when i learned that the 'the thing' game's whole system of your group members possibly being creatures or not was kind of fake in a way and at times it just automatically has one of them morph out on you even if you'd literally tested them a second beforehand and found them to be human. it was basically set up in a way where just testing yourself repeatedly to boost group morale and never testing your team members was the way to go because the former preserves the kits well enough and the latter just has a risk of having you lose a team member earlier than you might have otherwise, especially since some of them were just going to change no matter what you do or how well you kept track of them.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Here's an update on AMID EVIL's RTX and "The Black Labyrinth" prequel expansion.

Included is a new scythe-weapon(?) that seems to teleport you to THE SHADOW REALM, an overlapping dimension that is more shadowy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fame Douglas posted:

Remedy this.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i was disappointed when i learned that the 'the thing' game's whole system of your group members possibly being creatures or not was kind of fake in a way and at times it just automatically has one of them morph out on you even if you'd literally tested them a second beforehand and found them to be human. it was basically set up in a way where just testing yourself repeatedly to boost group morale and never testing your team members was the way to go because the former preserves the kits well enough and the latter just has a risk of having you lose a team member earlier than you might have otherwise, especially since some of them were just going to change no matter what you do or how well you kept track of them.

Yeah I bought the game on launch and it became obvious everything was scripted. I started to worry at the first level when you go through the ruins of the base and you find Blair's UFO...because it had been destroyed in the film.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 24, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fame Douglas posted:

I saw it for the first time a few years ago. It’s pretty good but Back to the Future is still my favorite 80s action comedy. BTTF also got a much better game sequel.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
Look up any comparison video of the original Ghostbuster game to its "remaster" (the version you get on digital platforms nowadays), you can see the remaster looks absolutely hideous in all its upscaled textures, glossy reflective surfaces, and more "advanced" shadows that completely breaks its art style.

Much better to watch a playthrough of the original version.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

He and Ramis hadn’t spoken to each other I 16 years, and wouldn’t until Ramis was dying 5 years later. So that probably adds quite a bit to the awkwardness.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

NoneMoreNegative posted:

tfw there are too many Zombiemen in the vicinity

Yesyes YES!!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Fame Douglas posted:

When someone asks you if you're a god, what do you say?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm watching Darkplace now and it's good

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

haveblue posted:

I'm watching Darkplace now and it's good

insanely good

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest, I actually feel like the "ideal" video game version of Darkplace would be an FMV adventure game filled with terrible design decisions. Obtuse nonsensical puzzles, puzzles that require you to have the manual open on the table next to you, and endless opportunities to trap yourself in an unwinnable state. Oh, and the game should be build to run only with some obscure flavor of Windows NT or OS/2 and be an absolute nightmare to get running on any system made after 2001.

Come to think of it, Darkplace and the recent tweets about Cruelty Squad's design have me wondering how exactly games can be made with intentionally "bad" design decisions. While a TV show with intentionally bad acting, writing, direction, and special effects can still be watched start to finish with no problem, games with intentionally suboptimal design decisions can actively impede the player's ability to interact with and progress through the game. Is there a "sweet spot" of bad enough to be noticeable, but not bad enough to be unplayable?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Marshal Radisic posted:

To be honest, I actually feel like the "ideal" video game version of Darkplace would be an FMV adventure game filled with terrible design decisions. Obtuse nonsensical puzzles, puzzles that require you to have the manual open on the table next to you, and endless opportunities to trap yourself in an unwinnable state. Oh, and the game should be build to run only with some obscure flavor of Windows NT or OS/2 and be an absolute nightmare to get running on any system made after 2001.

Come to think of it, Darkplace and the recent tweets about Cruelty Squad's design have me wondering how exactly games can be made with intentionally "bad" design decisions. While a TV show with intentionally bad acting, writing, direction, and special effects can still be watched start to finish with no problem, games with intentionally suboptimal design decisions can actively impede the player's ability to interact with and progress through the game. Is there a "sweet spot" of bad enough to be noticeable, but not bad enough to be unplayable?

So basically Realms of the Haunting?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Johnny Joestar posted:

I enjoyed the game, but I came to it years after it came out so I was aware. The bit that stands out to me was one annoying boss, where you can cheese it by pushing an AI buddy through the door in front of you, since it's supposed to close off and leave you alone for the fight. You buddy will unload on the boss during the cutscene and when you get back control it's nearly dead.

Also I never saw the final cutscene because there was some issue and the game crashed right as it started.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Marshal Radisic posted:

With games I feel the answer isn't making things intentionally bad(because bad gameplay isn't really enjoyable for the most part), instead the answer is to make them weird

This is specifically for game mechanics mind you, stylistic suck can be used in games for things like graphics or sound just fine

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/TheIlluminado/status/1385460093177585665

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Like The Thing game the Ghostbusters game shoulda been an FPS.

I was going to suggest a lightgun game, and then found out they made an arcade game in the last decade. But it's some weak rear end poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJaYOjrbiGc&t=15s

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Shameless plug time, I guess! I've updated my GZDoom gameplay mod for the first time in a year several forevers, bringing tons of bugfixes, new and overhauled monsters, and some toys from the new age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaTOFJ086PE

Download it here, or read the apocalyptically-long changelog if you want to know precisely what's new.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Just started playin' BTSX with that bad boy. I just wanna say, as a lover of sound design, the sfx are so fucken good. Mixing the different sources together is such a dope touch.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mierenneuker posted:

I was going to suggest a lightgun game, and then found out they made an arcade game in the last decade. But it's some weak rear end poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJaYOjrbiGc&t=15s

Why...why wouldn't you make the guns shaped like the neutrino wands???

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Why...why wouldn't you make the guns shaped like the neutrino wands???

They're probably reusing moulds/spares from a previous unrelated cabinet to keep costs down. A lot of light gun games do this and iirc there's an Aliens cabinet that uses the same guns as well.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Disproportionation posted:

They're probably reusing moulds/spares from a previous unrelated cabinet to keep costs down. A lot of light gun games do this and iirc there's an Aliens cabinet that uses the same guns as well.
All depends on the cab. I know there's Aliens: Extermination which has the Pulse Rifle light guns

but then Aliens Armageddon has to share cabinet design with Terminator Salvation so you have generic AR-15-looking light guns.

Haven't seen an Aliens cabinet that has the same setup as that Ghostbusters one though.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

Shameless plug time, I guess! I've updated my GZDoom gameplay mod for the first time in a year several forevers, bringing tons of bugfixes, new and overhauled monsters, and some toys from the new age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaTOFJ086PE

Download it here, or read the apocalyptically-long changelog if you want to know precisely what's new.

:eyepop:

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
New update on the development of Dread, the amiga doom-like project, this time it's about sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCYkAAzdFuk

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Angry_Ed posted:

All depends on the cab. I know there's Aliens: Extermination which has the Pulse Rifle light guns

but then Aliens Armageddon has to share cabinet design with Terminator Salvation so you have generic AR-15-looking light guns.

Haven't seen an Aliens cabinet that has the same setup as that Ghostbusters one though.

I enjoyed that Terminator Salvation arcade game so much more than the movie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Same i put a lot of money into that game

Never saw the aliens ones though

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I remember playing Virtua Cop amd other ones like that with a big rear end AR. Loved them, also House of the Dead with akimbo pistols and auto reload. The owner of the arcade was a friend and after he closed, a bunch of us brought sodas, beers, all kinds of fast food and we all played for free and with different settings. Played Sega Rally tournaments for hours.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Guillermus posted:

The owner of the arcade was a friend and after he closed, a bunch of us brought sodas, beers, all kinds of fast food and we all played for free and with different settings. Played Sega Rally tournaments for hours.

This sounds incredible.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish Daytona and Sega Rally would get new ports. Kinda janky playing them emulated.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

We have discussed here a few times the different health systems in FPS. Pure health regeneration vs healh on map vs usable items by the player vs recover health on kill.

There is another one, an interesting variation on the last one, recover health on kill. It's used on Vermintide 2 (which I'm playing again for the new mode). Basically, you recover a lil' bit of health on some kills, under certain conditions, like kill stunned enemies or damage several enemies with a single attack. However, it's temporary health, that is spent if you are hit (before your permanent health), and after a few second it slowly depletes on its own.
Because the conditions to get it and the small amount, it's usually only noticeable when the enemy attack in big numbers, where you can kill a lot in a short amount of it.

As it's a temporary health, it's a resource you need to be in the thick of battle, it's a nice buffer to have against attacks you can't see behind you, etc. It doesn't reward the player too much because it isn't permanent so if you were low on health you will stay on low level on the next fight, but it supports and rewards the players that gets on the thick of it, and in fact it's mostly gained when you get on the thick of it. That's the beauty of the system.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'd definitely go for an FPS with a Bloodborne health recovery/damage system.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'd definitely go for an FPS with a Bloodborne health recovery/damage system.

How does it work in bloodborne? Do you heal some degree of damage via damaging enemies?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

How does it work in bloodborne? Do you heal some degree of damage via damaging enemies?

When you lose health you have a few seconds to regain it by hitting the enemy. The more enemies you’re fighting the more hits you’re doing and thus the more health you can regain.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7rPFDxPTM8

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The rally system in Bloodborne is great, the healing vials is traaaaash. Any game taking that system needs to retool it for that reason alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Outriders has a system where you heal by playing to your class's strengths when it comes to killing people.