Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

DalaranJ posted:

How do you decide which characters should pursue which skill types? Should everyone aim for a mastery or is there value in splitting some characters between physical and magic?

You just kind of feel it out. In general you can kind of take a look at their starting Arts and weapons and get an idea of what they're good at, and the character progression system for humans is such that you can kind of mold them into whatever with enough effort.

I don't place too much value on Mastery, because I like characters to have at least some manner of recovery magic.

Xalidur posted:

Any tips for defeating the Big Diggers in Tataros? They can kill any of my characters in one hit and seem to have insanely high HP.

Alternatively, can I avoid them and come back to kill them later?

I'm T260G using the other three mechs and Gen.

I don't think you can revisit the area after you clear it, so it's now or never (or coming back in NG+ I guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Harrow posted:

Mastery is helpful for learning new skills but the WP/JP savings are less critical in the late game. It can be really useful to have a couple spells on physical attackers (Mind and Rune magic can be especially useful) and guns share a lot of stats with magic.

So, there might even be a case for working solely on physical, until say I glimmer into DSC on a character, and then grabbing spells.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 24, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

So, there might even be a case for working solely on physical, until say I glimmer into DSC on a character, and then grabbing spells.

That can be helpful for glimmering, yeah, especially if you're trying to get something the character doesn't have a talent for.

As for spells, some useful ones for physical fighters include:
  • Rune: Vitality Rune (good heal-over-time) and Victory Rune (weapon damage buff) are nice. Neither requires the gift.
  • Mind: Mind Heal (strong self-heal with status effect removal) is great and doesn't require the gift, so mystics can use it, too. Awakening is a big buff that's probably too expensive for most attackers but it works great for gunners--their skills are cheap enough that doubling the WP cost isn't as big of a deal.
  • Light: Solar Blade is great for just about anyone, even casters. It's one of the most powerful swords in the game, automatically gives you Deflect while it's active, and has a passive stat boost while active, too. Even if you're not going to attack with it, it's strong. Requires the gift.
  • Shadow: Shadow Servant doubles all your attacks except for combo moves like DSC and is a huge damage boost, but goes away if you get hit so it requires more maintenance. Requires the gift.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Harrow posted:

That can be helpful for glimmering, yeah, especially if you're trying to get something the character doesn't have a talent for.

• Shadow: Shadow Servant doubles all your attacks except for combo moves like DSC and is a huge damage boost, but goes away if you get hit so it requires more maintenance. Requires the gift.

Also, worthwhile to note that when you do take that hit Shadow Servant absorbs all damage.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The break lasted two jours lol.

So the giant to save Gina is kicking my rear end.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is there an ingame indicator for BR?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ardryn posted:

Also, worthwhile to note that when you do take that hit Shadow Servant absorbs all damage.

Yeah, so it's really good in a lot of ways. Shadow gift is worth it on a lot of characters for that spell alone.

There are also ways you can provide some cover for your Shadow Servant, like having a mystic on the team use Mirror Shade to give you something to take a hit before your Shadow Servant does.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is there an ingame indicator for BR?

Not really. You can figure out what your battle rank is by getting into a fight and seeing what enemies appear to get an estimate (most areas have a range of battle ranks relative to yours so one fight alone won't just tell you).

The Bio Research Lab's encounters are always two battle ranks higher than your own, so you can get into a fight with the first enemy in there and look up the main enemy that appears in an encounter guide (I think there's one on GameFAQs), then subtract 2 from the result to find your battle rank. If it's a Crystal Tree, your BR is either 7, 8, or 9 (the max).

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Harrow posted:

[*]Light: Solar Blade is great for just about anyone, even casters. It's one of the most powerful swords in the game, automatically gives you Deflect while it's active, and has a passive stat boost while active, too. Even if you're not going to attack with it, it's strong. Requires the gift.

According to the big gamefaqs mechanics guide, it gives its own, unique version of deflect that has a higher activation chance, scales with mental stats, doesn’t require a sword move to be queued and stacks with the basic deflect skill as well. It’s a really good spell.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Progress-report on my own Arcane-quest with Asellus:

-Spooky ghost card was astonishingly easy. To be honest, I don't even know what I did. Kind of fitting for a magic card involving weird ghost poo poo. 2/4 done.

Now I've bought a ton of accessories to neutralize/lower both fire and ice damage. Next card is two bosses, and hopefully another pokemon for my team.

After that is the Swamp of the Drunks, and I guess I should look around to see if I can get gear to block charm and berserk. :shepface:

Edit:

So, frost giants are giant sons of bitches, noted. Is there any gear to protect against wind I can get? Seems I've met the master of TPK-attacks here on this mountain.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 24, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Harrow posted:

If Fuse's scenario counts, Earth Dragon is now a required boss for Fuse's Asellus case file I think. The other two, though, I can't think of any main quests they're a part of, yeah.

Oh right I always forget about Furdo's workshop

What is Furdo’s Workshop?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Furdo's workshop is a dungeon in the Magic Kingdom. The gimmick is that everything is a statue and you have to wait for a fairy to go around bringing everything to life.

One tip for the Magma Slimes battle is that they will attack illusions made by the MirrorShade and Magician spells. If you have someone who can wipe out the monsters with AoE attacks, you can use your other characters to spam those spells and reduce the amount of LP they can take.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Xalidur posted:

Any tips for defeating the Big Diggers in Tataros? They can kill any of my characters in one hit and seem to have insanely high HP.

Alternatively, can I avoid them and come back to kill them later?

I'm T260G using the other three mechs and Gen.

Do you have Logic Bomb on any of your mechs? With high mobility, you can usually make them lose their turn due to inflicting status ailments on them (stun, paralysis, or confusion). It also tends to do some fairly decent damage as well. Using that, I would only see them get a couple of attacks off on me the entire fight.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Kagon posted:

Do you have Logic Bomb on any of your mechs? With high mobility, you can usually make them lose their turn due to inflicting status ailments on them (stun, paralysis, or confusion). It also tends to do some fairly decent damage as well. Using that, I would only see them get a couple of attacks off on me the entire fight.

I do have it and will give that a shot after grinding a bit to try to get more HP. Sounds like I can't leave the area though!

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Xalidur posted:

I do have it and will give that a shot after grinding a bit to try to get more HP. Sounds like I can't leave the area though!

Yeah unfortunately you can’t leave nor return. You can’t even head back if you saved in Leonard’s lab like I did in my current playthrough. As long as you can give whoever has logic bomb the most mobility possible, you should be fine. I think one of the attacks (the buzz saw one) has priority which can somewhat ruin your day, but I rarely saw it occur.

Also, one of the Big Diggers can use Maelstrom, so be careful with that one. It’s in the northern-most switch room after a treasure chest. That one gives Dragon Program when absorbed, so it’s worth it to give it to T260. The others give Maxwell Program (WP recovery in battle), so if you can beat all of them, it’s a nice advantage moving forward.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sounds it would be a capital idea to note down all the traps. Usually points of no return are signposted, but sometimes you get warped to another dungeon without earning, like T260g's scenario.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Libluini posted:

Progress-report on my own Arcane-quest with Asellus:

-Spooky ghost card was astonishingly easy. To be honest, I don't even know what I did. Kind of fitting for a magic card involving weird ghost poo poo. 2/4 done.

The first time I played Blue's quest on the PSX I accidentally skipped over Gen's commentary about how to line up the cards and spent like an hour on it because I kept getting fights. Then the next time I ran it and saw what he said I got it first try and usually do it in 1-2 tries now because like he said you just need to not look and time yourself with the sound so that you hit the button right before it and the symbols stop on the sound with their delayed reaction.

Libluini posted:

After that is the Swamp of the Drunks, and I guess I should look around to see if I can get gear to block charm and berserk. :shepface:

You can but it's not easy since iirc its items like the Tao you buy for LP. I forget if aliment resistance can block drunk effects but running Grail on Riki or Asellus is rough due to the lack of mechs to cheese it with.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there anywhere to get an HG Cannon that isn't a random enemy drop? I've been trying to get it to drop for a long time and I've given up, but I'll probably want one in T260G's scenario next.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Kagon posted:

Some good advice.

I was able to defeat them all thanks to the Logic Bomb tip and ZEKE having 99 Mobility. It was worth it!

Now I've got what I assume is T260G's ultimate form and I need to find a way to teach them Multislash before I go after the RB3...

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I forget if aliment resistance can block drunk effects but running Grail on Riki or Asellus is rough due to the lack of mechs to cheese it with.

It can; White Rose never got hit with Charm, Confusion, Berserk or Sleep because of her Mystical Mail while I was trying to get the Grail card in my Emilia playthrough, and people who had Blind immunity from equipment never got hit with Blind from Drunk either.

Asellus can recruit Silence if you take her through Omble to get the gift for Shadow Magic; between him and White Rose, that's two characters immune to mental ailments who can help you get through the swamp.

Riki's stuck with just Dr. Nusakhan to try and get you through since the only other Mystic he can recruit is Mesarthim, and this is like the one edge case where her not being locked into Mystical Mail is a drawback, not a benefit.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

The first time I played Blue's quest on the PSX I accidentally skipped over Gen's commentary about how to line up the cards and spent like an hour on it because I kept getting fights. Then the next time I ran it and saw what he said I got it first try and usually do it in 1-2 tries now because like he said you just need to not look and time yourself with the sound so that you hit the button right before it and the symbols stop on the sound with their delayed reaction.

You can but it's not easy since iirc its items like the Tao you buy for LP. I forget if aliment resistance can block drunk effects but running Grail on Riki or Asellus is rough due to the lack of mechs to cheese it with.

Oh... Oh! I always hit the button when I heard something, must have done the right thing solely thanks to my slow reflexes :shepface:

Re: Swamp. Sounds actually great, if I can cheese the LP-shop with characters I don't want to use. (I have a growing stable of characters I'm not planning to develop, so it would be great if I could use them to buy LP-gear. Is this possible? And where to I find those shops? Since Asellus' great escape I haven't seen another shop accepting life points.)

But right now I'm stuck fighting a Batman villain on a mountain. Most of his puns don't do anything thanks to all this protective gear I've put on Asellus' party, but at some point he just yells "WHAT KILLED THE DINOSAURS???THE ICE AGE!!!" and the pun is so bad it just punts everyone flat on their asses, like a great gust of wind...

No idea how to deal with this attack, it seems there is no wind element gear in the game?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

You can only spend LP from your protagonist at the LP shop, and there is only just the one.

As for wind, it's not an element. I'm not sure what attack you're actually talking about, if I did I could tell you for sure what element it was.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Xalidur posted:

I was able to defeat them all thanks to the Logic Bomb tip and ZEKE having 99 Mobility. It was worth it!

Now I've got what I assume is T260G's ultimate form and I need to find a way to teach them Multislash before I go after the RB3...

Glad to hear! Multi slash overall isn’t too bad to get since most mechs (type 1 which is T260’s normal body, along with types 3, 6, 7, and 8 which is T260’s ultimate form) can learn it randomly after absorbing high enough rank mechs. Usually rank 4 or higher mechs give a good chance of allowing it to glimmer for them on absorption, so Crab Mechs or better.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I have completed my first ever route, the T260G run. The poor final boss was no match for Five Robots. I had a lovely time.

I really loved Final Fantasy Legend 2 and 3 as a kid but haven't played any other Saga games until this one. Brings back good memories since Humans, Mechs, and Monsters work in the same general way.

I like this game a lot. It's breezy and very charming. I think I'll do the Blue or Asellus route next since I didn't engage with the magic system at all this go around!

I think it's going to be tough to beat a stack of Mechs chaining Multislash with Tiger Rampage though...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Omnicrom posted:

You can only spend LP from your protagonist at the LP shop, and there is only just the one.

As for wind, it's not an element. I'm not sure what attack you're actually talking about, if I did I could tell you for sure what element it was.

Welp, I thought it was obvious enough: It's called GUST and just kills everyone with 2x max HP damage.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Red's scenario complete! That's four down, three to go. Red's scenario is a blast, lots of unique dungeons and bosses along the way. And getting to use Re Al-Phoenix Al-Phoenix X at the end feels really cool. I ended up with a team that could combo like crazy with Al-Phoenix X so the final boss absolutely melted.

The Fuse case file for Red is really amusing, too. You get to see a bit of how the IRPO squad works together and Cotton gets some fun scenes.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Libluini posted:

Welp, I thought it was obvious enough: It's called GUST and just kills everyone with 2x max HP damage.

The "elements" that attacks can have in SaGa Frontier are Slash, Pierce, Blunt, Heat, Cold, Electric/Shock, Spirit, and Status/Ailment. Gust (formerly Windblast) is Pierce and Spirit.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wicked Them Beats posted:

The "elements" that attacks can have in SaGa Frontier are Slash, Pierce, Blunt, Heat, Cold, Electric/Shock, Spirit, and Status/Ailment. Gust (formerly Windblast) is Pierce and Spirit.

That is some seriously funky logic. Didn't know a cold winter day is blasting me with the magical elements of pierce and spirit when I go outside. Huh, you learn something new each day.

Anyway more seriously, thanks. I guess now I have to somehow cram even more protective gear into my party. I'll have to say, having to protect against four different "elements" just to not face a TPK is an odd balancing decision, but at least I can now see the light.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Libluini posted:

That is some seriously funky logic. Didn't know a cold winter day is blasting me with the magical elements of pierce and spirit when I go outside. Huh, you learn something new each day.

Anyway more seriously, thanks. I guess now I have to somehow cram even more protective gear into my party. I'll have to say, having to protect against four different "elements" just to not face a TPK is an odd balancing decision, but at least I can now see the light.

Since it's a piercing attack I think Wall Rune can prevent it, if you have someone with the gift for Rune Magic. Otherwise loading out whoever you can with Powered Suits or Warlord Armor should do the trick, assuming you've got the cash to buy them and aren't running a full party of mystics (most mystics you'll just have to give decent gloves/boots/accessories since their armor slot is taken).

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

I always find it weird just how much harder the Arcane quest is when compared to the Rune quest.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m doing Asellus’s quest, which I never beat back in the day. gently caress that squid but then again I had White Rose absorb him into her Mystic Gloves :getin: huge stat bonus plus Tiger Rampage. Her Faeblade absorbed those dead knights from Sei’s Tomb so she’s a beast now.

I’m at the part where you fight the bosses who randomly show up all over the world, who can I get in my party that doesn’t suck? I assume I have to start the Rune/Arcana quests. I don’t want to do the Light/Shadow mastery quests until I get more people. This is an annoying one.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m doing Asellus’s quest, which I never beat back in the day. gently caress that squid but then again I had White Rose absorb him into her Mystic Gloves :getin: huge stat bonus plus Tiger Rampage. Her Faeblade absorbed those dead knights from Sei’s Tomb so she’s a beast now.

I’m at the part where you fight the bosses who randomly show up all over the world, who can I get in my party that doesn’t suck? I assume I have to start the Rune/Arcana quests. I don’t want to do the Light/Shadow mastery quests until I get more people. This is an annoying one.

Aside from the various mystics: Gen (just need to start the arcane quest if he doesnt help by default), Fei-on (rune quest), Rouge. Roufas and Lute too if you need filler but TBH you can just get Tiger Rampage on a team of mystics and self-combo it to decimate everything.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah there are some characters you can pick up now to smooth out the road between you and Mystic Squad, though I definitely plan to go for a strong mystic team by endgame for Asellus.

If you grabbed the Phantasm sword while you were in Facinaturu at the start, you'll also have an easier time.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 24, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

In addition to what Evil Fluffy said, you can also get Thunder (Lute's brother, Yorkland) and Cotton (Bio-Research Labe on Shrike, just run from all fights if they're too strong. You only have to survive ca. 2 fights to free Cotton), though their usefulness depends on how far you're willing to delve into monster mechanics.

The Arcane-quest also gives you Emilia if you go to Bakkarat. Hell, if you go there with 4 gold ingots, you can get Emilia and one of the four cards in one go, the Bakkarat-card is the easiest of the four to get.

Fuse will join if you got to IRPO-world, but only if you actually manage to finish the card quest. Though if you can defeat the iceman waiting for you here (optional boss) you also get a third monster character (Suzaku Jr.) for your party.

I think the other characters for Asellus are all linked (5 at least, though I may have missed another Rune-quest character) to you progressing the main story more first.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Alard posted:

I always find it weird just how much harder the Arcane quest is when compared to the Rune quest.

The thing that always gets me is the optional dragon fight in the Shield card quest- they guard some pretty nice items but are a real pain to take on early.

Suzaku is harder to beat than any of the rune bosses, though mercifully they let you leave the area when you lose. It's also weird that it's the only boss in the quest, with the rest being generally difficult non-boss stuff like the swamp gauntlet (which gets a lot harder if you do it at a high BR) or spending half an hour trying to push the button when they want you to.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Libluini posted:

If it's any consolation, "spirit" has previously been translated as something like "force". It's about the closest thing SF has to generic non-elemental magic damage.

If you want further confusion consider that the spell Galeblast (formerly Mega Wind Blast) deals Heat, Cold, and Spirit damage.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The third boss, the green sage guy, keeps blocking me from completing quests. Luminous is blocked and so is Wakatu lol gently caress, I’m so underpowered right now whyyy

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Omnicrom posted:

If it's any consolation, "spirit" has previously been translated as something like "force". It's about the closest thing SF has to generic non-elemental magic damage.

If you want further confusion consider that the spell Galeblast (formerly Mega Wind Blast) deals Heat, Cold, and Spirit damage.

Welp, turns out I didn't need my super-expensive new gear. I made a short trip to the swamp, and the enemies had upgraded again, to Basilisk. Cotton learned multiple petrify-causing attacks during the swamp run, and Basilisks turned out to be vulnerable against their own attack! Ample save scumming and a truly stunning amount of luck (I managed to run into something dumb like 20x fights on my way to the goal, and only 3x got some of my characters charmed, and never long enough to let the RNG use my most devastating attacks on ourselves.) made me get the third card. The gag at the end was very welcome: Turns out you need all that alcohol because the third card only shows up in an alcohol-induced hallucination, ha ha. :allears:

Back on Death Mountain, the giga ice man I had so much trouble with also turned out to be vulnerable to petrify: Instead of flattening my party for the 6th time in a row, he went down in the first turn. Suzaku Jr. is now my newest monster member, and as soon as the fireboss made of fire is done with, I'll probably take Suzaku Jr. in as my main monster (or maybe not, petrify attacks are so incredibly strong, I'll probably stay with Cotton until I run into Basilisks again, then feed those skills to my other monsters).

Anyway, pretty anticlimactic. 3/4th done plus optional boss: Frost Giant-Pain-in-the-rear end defeated. Time to get the flaming big bird and finish this bullshit, I want to go back to the story now, thanks

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How is it that I love this game more now than I did when I was a kid, and I already loved it then? I'm having an absolute blast here.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

How is it that I love this game more now than I did when I was a kid, and I already loved it then? I'm having an absolute blast here.

I've never played it until now and therefore nostalgia isn't even a factor, and I really, really like it. It's a good game! There's just something incredibly charming about it.

Finished my first T260G run only to immediately be hyped to try a different one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Going through SF Remastered just solidifies how much I fuckin' love that entire era of weird and experimental PS1 JRPGs.

Gods, what a wonderful time that was. :swoon: