Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

infraboy posted:

After finishing up P5 strikers, it seems like they kind of left room for another Phantom Thieves game but I imagine a future Persona 6 would be a totally new cast unless were expecting another off shoot of P5.

Gotta get Morgana Kart in there before we can get P6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

You tell 'em, Ryuji.

loving epic.

E: Started the 3rd trimester just now, and I like unhinged give-no-fucks teammate Akechi.

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 24, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

infraboy posted:

After finishing up P5 strikers, it seems like they kind of left room for another Phantom Thieves game but I imagine a future Persona 6 would be a totally new cast unless were expecting another off shoot of P5.

P5S was developed in tandem with P5R, so they definitely left both games slightly open-ended.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

infraboy posted:

I hope not but judging by the period between P4 and P5 we should expect 12 more years of outsourced P5 spinoffs while the new team settles into making P6.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

anakha posted:

loving epic.

E: Started the 3rd trimester just now, and I like unhinged give-no-fucks teammate Akechi.

It is and Akechi is so much better when he goes full evil. Though I feel that P5R really should've given you Satanael there and not lock him to ng+. I get that the MC doesn't really need a powered up version of their base persona but I think it's a shame that you discard Arsene/Izanagi 20 minutes into the game.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
They changed the Persona rosters just enough in Royal that I feel very confused when I run into ones that I feel should come later

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Item Getter posted:

I hope not but judging by the period between P4 and P5 we should expect 12 more years of outsourced P5 spinoffs while the new team settles into making P6.

P5's also made a much bigger impact, I think. They've done collabs with a whole bunch of gachas, and Joker's in Smash. P4 had a million spin-offs but they were mostly self-contained aside from being in BBTAG.

I'm hoping they're a bit better/pace themselves with milking P5 lest we get sick of them/PTs start getting really flanderized, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them trot out P5 things for several years to come.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Also, the auto-progression function for text seems wonky, is there any way to make it more permanently stay on or off?

e: nvm, I got it

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Joker is apparently real.

Japanese man arrested after dating 35 women at the same time

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I remember screwing up my first p5r playthrough and missed the deadline for the 3rd semester and got the vanilla ending with no romance, it was peak pandemic so I had nothing better to do and played it through again on Ng+ without needing to worry about the stats. So much patience to romance Kasumi even though her story is so hosed up and sad

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

quote:

The story elicited mixed responses online, with one reader commenting that "He’s an awful person, but I envy his time-management skills,” according to SoraNews24.
Yeah, that's date-everyone Joker.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

How I spent my Sunday:

Watching Tanktop Millionaire got me to 2 Guts and the "special drink" plus medicinal bath got me to 2 Charm, so a very productive day. Also bought the Share of Spring Set.

"Sunday Funday" indeed

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Vanilla P5 question: Does the battle with Yaldabaoth occur in December as well? Was curious to know how Atlus spaced out the dungeons in the original and if they intentionally left January open to slot in the expansion material in P5R.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

anakha posted:

Vanilla P5 question: Does the battle with Yaldabaoth occur in December as well? Was curious to know how Atlus spaced out the dungeons in the original and if they intentionally left January open to slot in the expansion material in P5R.

It does, all on the same day.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

anakha posted:

Yep. Things in Royal diverge pretty soon after that fight.

In vanilla, things skip from there to February, then to March for the ending. Royal added the January events.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Interesting, so that month was deliberately left open. I guess the expansion was already in the plans even when the game first came out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

anakha posted:

Interesting, so that month was deliberately left open. I guess the expansion was already in the plans even when the game first came out.

Not necessarily. For example, Persona 4 skipped from December to March. Anything between there was added in Golden.

In vanilla, Yaldabaoth was the final boss. Everything from there was just ending. There were a couple events in February and a couple of final days in March and that's it, no big surprise March dungeon like in Persona 4.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The BGM for the P5R bonus palace is so loving good. Hits you right in the feels.

E: It's still early January for me in the game timeline, but there's something that's been bugging me about the premise for the Royal storyline: If Maruki wanted to put Joker in a setting where he would be perfectly content and happy, why wasn't the latter removed completely from Tokyo and placed back with his folks with the Shido encounter never happening? All the other Thieves had their lives basically retconned except for him.

anakha fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 25, 2021

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

anakha posted:

The BGM for the P5R bonus palace is so loving good. Hits you right in the feels.

E: It's still early January for me in the game timeline, but there's something that's been bugging me about the premise for the Royal storyline: If Maruki wanted to put Joker in a setting where he would be perfectly content and happy, why wasn't the latter removed completely from Tokyo and placed back with his folks with the Shido encounter never happening? All the other Thieves had their lives basically retconned except for him.

I'd assume because he truly values his friends despite how he came to Tokyo

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Playing through Golden right now and I didn’t realize materials for quests and for the shop had limited space... been grinding and wanted to finish quests but because I didn’t sell everything I won’t get any more items on this run. So don’t be like me, sell everything you come across AQAP and give them to the quest folks, don’t hoard them like me. :sigh:

(Note you can still get the max of the same kind of item but there seems to be a limit in unique types of items )

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

anakha posted:

We don't know what Joker's ideal reality was, but I think with his friends and possibly with Sojiro as his actual dad. Lavenza (the butterfly) lead him out of the school before we really had time to explore it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Royal spoilers:

I was bracing myself for the Sumire rejection to be even worse than Haru's, but that was a surprisingly calm scene. Still, leading up to that choice, she came across as so codependent (which uncomfortably reminded me some someone IRL) that there was no way I wasn't rejecting her.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Morgana please... this hits too close to home right now

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

For Royal, are Jose's Mementos changes permanent?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah. And it is possible to max out all.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BearDrivingTruck posted:

For Royal, are Jose's Mementos changes permanent?

You can reset them as you please.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

just a heads up

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1386547008001896449

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Progress report I'm 70 hours into original Persona 5. Having never played a Persona game before I had no idea what I was getting into.

It turns out it's pretty amazing for a remote working dad with no outside social life. At 70 hours the game does start repeating itself and perhaps overstaying its welcome. But since I got nothing better to do, it's a great way to spend quiet evenings and pretend you are leaving the house.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Argh I forgot to redeem my lottery tickets yesterday (I do the same thing in FFXIV...) though I'm sure it will be worth the wait--

lol gently caress off

Anyway, this is the content I'm here for

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Playing through Royal and Strikers makes we really wish that we got regular press conferences where rich people just admit to a whole bunch of crimes and prostrate themselves before the public

We just get legal battles and denial

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This why I argue that P5 is more of a power fantasy than any superhero or shooter game

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

Playing through Royal and Strikers makes we really wish that we got regular press conferences where rich people just admit to a whole bunch of crimes and prostrate themselves before the public

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This why I argue that P5 is more of a power fantasy than any superhero or shooter game

It's actually a sentai game.

https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1250854963489710082

anakha fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 27, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Jesus Christ, P5R was released over a year ago. :psyduck:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
And we've 'only' had three spin-offs released since the base game if you don't count Royal (Q2, Dancing Star Night, Strikers). That's not as insane as feared.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The real heart of the game:

Probably thinking too hard but it was a tough choice between doing Sojiro's confidant which wasn't going to rank up, or to do the coffee which would get one point with him anyway

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Powered through the final boss fight and got the 'good' ending just now. 176 hours spent total, of which probably 50-60 were spent tinkering around with persona builds.

Only PS trophies I'm missing out on are the lottery and maid cafe ones, and if I'm ever in the mood to do a New Game+, those will be my priorities.

The Maruki story arc, Palace and boss were so much more satisfying then Yaldabaoth, so it's definitely a good thing I got the Royal version. Akechi being Joker's retcon as compared to those of the other Phantom Thieves was completely unexpected but a welcome little twist.

I don't see this game ranking less than 2nd or 3rd in my top 10 games played by the end of the year - it's definitely my top played game for 2021 as of right now.

Things I liked:
  • I'm a fan of turn-based RPGs and this was the best implementation of turn-based combat mechanics I've ever played outside of strategy/tactical RPGs. Elemental coverages, two types of physical attacks, technical damage, party substitution among others were all great additions.
  • Great soundtrack, especially once you get to the bonus Royal content
  • Overall better localization and characters than P4G
  • Better implementation of dungeons compared to P4G

Things I'm meh about or disliked:
  • The storyline was ambitious and, as other posters have mentioned, the underlying theme falls apart somewhat at the end
  • couple of plot holes opened up by the bonus Royal content
  • The social aspect/resource management part could drag at times, and cause lulls, and that's already with the shortcuts introduced by Royal - I can't imagine how tedious it would have been without those QOL additions

Overall, great game and one I expect to join the list of 'games I'll replay every few years'.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Considering I'm so used to his performance as Rean in the Trails games, I legit cannot tell that this is Sean Chiplock voicing Mishima. He uses a higher pitch and more nasally voice for Mishima-- dude has incredible range

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 28, 2021

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Posting here because I'm at my wit's end. I just started playing Persona 4 Golden on PC, and on the evening of 4/26 the background music stops playing every time. I still get other sounds and light background ambience (eg rain), but no music in town. I do get music in the Velvet Room and pub. It never comes back (at least for ~4-5 days out that I've played after). I am using the P4G Community Enhancement Pack. I have not opted in to any betas because the mod instructions said not to.

Things I've tried:
- Doesn't matter what action I take or if I just go home and rest until evening.
- Doesn't help to adjust music volume in the menu
- Doesn't help to save and reload
- Doesn't help to quit and restart the game
- Doesn't help to restart computer.
- Doesn't help to run the game without mods.
- Doesn't help to uninstall and reinstall the game.
- Doesn't help to update audio drivers.

I looked online and saw similar posts stating the issue was installing the game to the C drive (or whatever main OS drive) but my game's already installed there.

Anybody have any ideas? Or am I just background music-less?

Edit: Well who loving knows, it picked up again in May. Does the game just not have background music for certain days? That's a little offputting.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 1, 2021

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

I remember there being days with no background music, just ambient sounds (mostly on rainy days?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

GoodApollo posted:

I remember there being days with no background music, just ambient sounds (mostly on rainy days?)

Yeah I just came off of Persona 5 and didn't expect it.