Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

astral posted:

, :siren:not keep the images stored in the database:gonk::siren:,

Lmao

Sorry for all the attachment for giving threads I've made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

With the 6hr window for downtime on the 25th- all of us get to experience the magic of a sixer whether we've earned one or not. :2bong:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SniperWoreConverse posted:

the forums must become more gay to compensate.

Finally, the moment my life was created for

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Knot My President! posted:

$0.50 to change an avatar for 24 hours when :stonks:

This is the money maker OP

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

astral posted:

Personally I'm more worried about their escalating anti-adblock masures. The forums have so many imgur images at this point that I would hate to see it go the way of imageshack, waffleimages, etc.

All the more reason to have our own service. So many classic goldmine threads are there because of the images in them. A lot are now kinda pointless because the images are now lost when imageshack and the like died.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Justin Godscock posted:

All the more reason to have our own service. So many classic goldmine threads are there because of the images in them. A lot are now kinda pointless because the images are now lost when imageshack and the like died.

The SA imageshack archive still exists, but whether it's hooked up properly to the relevant posts is another question. Some of the waffleimages still exist on what I believe to be their last-surviving mirror so there is hope of preserving many of those, as well.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

astral posted:

Before the 2016 cloud move, the hosting costs were, in fact, much higher, but my understanding is the forums also made even more money back then.

what was the old server layout from back then? I think ZDR had talked about it before during the move but I don't know where to look at to find it. The physical servers must have been just mental on how they worked and with how things are described we largely were trusting god knows how old hardware with no backups for the forums for drat near 15 years.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Thanks for being one of the better sites out there, hope the migration goes smoothly and we're still here tomorrow.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

astral posted:

Personally I'm more worried about their escalating anti-adblock masures. The forums have so many imgur images at this point that I would hate to see it go the way of imageshack, waffleimages, etc.
They still have their API so you can upload poo poo via ShareX on desktop (or probably like 20 different mobile apps) and hotlink it here without ever having to so much as see their website. If they start putting the screws on that, then yeah, it's a good time to panic.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This is the money maker OP

Not to mention later, when people change their avs back at full price...

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Wow, dark mode is sexy time, love it

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I actually tried to keep it Quote Yellow but it was pretty eye-searing. I went for a nice rich blue instead. Thoughts?

The blue kind of blends in with the rest of dark mode. Maybe something with contrast but not so hard on the eyes, like a soft and light pink? Or lavender?

No, forget it, it's awful.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Valko posted:

The blue kind of blends in with the rest of dark mode. Maybe something with contrast but not so hard on the eyes, like a soft and light pink? Or lavender?

Orange is complementary with blue. Maybe a nice darker orange?

E: #8a4c0b

Armitag3 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 24, 2021

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
You wish to pay the writers but not the posters? Top posters, such as myself, deserve at least a fraction of a penny for every time their post is viewed, a la the Spotify model. If my posts earned even a mere $0.001 per view, I would surely be a :10bux:aire at this point.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Armitag3 posted:

Orange is complementary with blue. Maybe a nice darker orange?

E: #8a4c0b

Too bright! Some dark brownish or reddish colour would be better.

Quick paint job red:

purple:

hmm... still too bright...

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

#6a5675

It used to be purple with SALR so this would be going back to our roots

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

astral posted:

Over the last week we've largely rectified this. We've taken backups, spun up three new database servers (2 live forums, 1 archives), imported all the data, set up replication (meaning changes to the main database server are sent to the replica database server), and after the cloud provider maintenance is behind us we'll work on migrating the forums from the old database servers to the new (timeline TBD).

I mean zero shade by this, but thank you for bringing the forums into 2006.

Chief McHeath posted:

You wish to pay the writers but not the posters? Top posters, such as myself, deserve at least a fraction of a penny for every time their post is viewed, a la the Spotify model. If my posts earned even a mere $0.001 per view, I would surely be a :10bux:aire at this point.

Only if we can put midroll ads into your posts.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Thanks for all of this! I am one of the old timers that came back when I heard there were changed happening.

I'm loving dark more so far. Much easier on the eyes at night.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
So I take it I won't be getting the fix. :(

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Katamari Democracy posted:

So I take it I won't be getting the fix. :(

Oh we'll snip those balls one of these days.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Chief McHeath posted:

You don't get paid to post?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Overall dark mode looks great, but can we get some slightly separate highlight colours for threads in the user control panel when using dark mode? Some bright pink and purple or other stuff that's easier to tell apart. The current colours are kinda hard to distinguish with dark mode in their darker form.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Armitag3 posted:

Oh we'll snip those balls one of these days.

Take em both I don't fuckin need them

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

frogge posted:

With the 6hr window for downtime on the 25th- all of us get to experience the magic of a sixer whether we've earned one or not. :2bong:

Do crimes today.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Darkmode worth :tenbux: all on its own, thank you all!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hold up where the gently caress is TITAN?!?!?!?

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Valko posted:

Yeah that's the one thing not perfected (yet) in the dork mode design.

Maybe make it show some gay rainbow strip when it's yours.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
really loving the dark mode, definitely nicer than the userstyle i was using. thank you.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

I mean zero shade by this, but thank you for bringing the forums into 2006.

It is but one stop on our journey to modern times. :shobon:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Carbon dioxide posted:

Also, for the people who keep talking about the previous owner's lies, please remember that Jeffrey's very nickname isn't the truth. I got a copy of Jeffrey's birth cert right here and he definitely wasn't born in YOSPOS.

Buddy, YOSPOS isn't a place you are born into, it's a place that is born into you are heart.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Carbon dioxide posted:

Also, for the people who keep talking about the previous owner's lies, please remember that Jeffrey's very nickname isn't the truth. I got a copy of Jeffrey's birth cert right here and he definitely wasn't born in YOSPOS.

He wasn't born he has always been. :tinfoil:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Which came first, the Jeffrey or the YOSPOS?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Zil posted:

Which came first, the Jeffrey or the YOSPOS?

Lol if you can't remember when byob was the only fyad-lite

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

After an extended break, I feel like I jumped back in here at the right time. Things feel more fresh and community-like. Great job.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BonHair posted:

Lol if you can't remember when byob was the only fyad-lite

I remember when YOSPOS used to be called YCS

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Just wanted to say how glad I am that the forum is finally run by someone competent who cares about the community. Keep up the good work.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

astral posted:

We would eventually like to see Attachments 2.0, a modern system that would allow you to attach more than one image to a post, :siren:not keep the images stored in the database:gonk::siren:, and have actual ease-of-use (drag-and-drop convenience, images not disappearing on post preview, can edit/remove them without involving a moderator, etc.).

Not an arbitrary image host, though—just post attachments.
Could this system theoretically allow us to embed images in the middle of our posts, rather than just lumped at the end? That's the main reason I've never used the attachment feature, alongside the out-of-date file size limitation, but if they're actually being stored in the main database then no wonder it's never been increased. In a lot of effortposts it flows better if we can reference pictures in between sentences or paragraphs rather than them having to be down at the bottom like a footnote. In every forum with attached images I've seen they're always grouped at the bottom, and it kind of sucks.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

What kind of size are we talking about for a full db backup, anyway?

Edit: also lol at images stored directly in the db.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

The Kins posted:

They still have their API so you can upload poo poo via ShareX on desktop (or probably like 20 different mobile apps) and hotlink it here without ever having to so much as see their website. If they start putting the screws on that, then yeah, it's a good time to panic.

yeah i was gonna say even the program i use to make xcom clips is able to hook in and upload them anonymously, and then vomit back the url i need to post

there is a weird situation where doing it through that can sometimes produce urls like ABCD123h.gifv and there is a set of terminating characters that form thumbnails, lowercase h is for huge and if you don't manually cut that one off it won't load when you go to preview posts. Also it seems to arbitrarily fail for no known reason sometimes? It gives an error in programmer speak that I can't understand.

it's not super optimal because it's still a host that's not by goons for goons™ or whatever and they could go out of business or something, but I think it should be completely possible for you to be able to click "insert pic" and your browser asks for the file, and then it uploads it to imgur for you, and then it loads the url into the post. I know this kind of stuff already works on other forums but not the details of how it works :shrug:. I think there are other hosts that let you do the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Schweinhund posted:

#6a5675

It used to be purple with SALR so this would be going back to our roots

This looks good, visible and not eye-searing. FWIW the Awful App uses green for quotes and that also works well in darker themes.