Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

It cannot be emphasised enough how poo poo Peterson is, not only because of poo poo like "the feminine dragon of chaos" but also because he fundamentally doesn't interact with myths as much as say they mean something in particular and not look at them inside of their context.

Whenever he does this, Roland Barthes spins in his grave

e: 100 = January 1st, 2000: The Millennium Dome is opened, having cost £789 million (£1.38 thousand million if adjusted for inflation) to build. It was absolute shite, and it was closed at the end of the year and sold off for £28.7 million. In conclusion, New Labour was dogshit

Venomous fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

that's the sort of thing you occasionally find hand drawn and left under a bunch of car windscreen wipers

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

YAHWEH: pee
THE VOID: pee

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
pee is stored in the Precosmogonic egg

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It cannot be stressed enough that Bigbrained smart boy Jordy P got so mad at vegetarianism and veganism being actual practical dietary choices that he ate himself into a coma on an insane all beef diet against all medical advice.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Mr Phillby posted:

It cannot be stressed enough that Bigbrained smart boy Jordy P got so mad at vegetarianism and veganism being actual practical dietary choices that he ate himself into a coma on an insane all beef diet against all medical advice.
I thought the coma was an experimental Russian technique (against all medical advice) to overcome his benzo addiction

The raw beef diet was some other dumb poo poo

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Sounds like Jordo should've stuck with all-natural organic drugs :smugbert:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Borrovan posted:

I thought the coma was an experimental Russian technique (against all medical advice) to overcome his benzo addiction

The raw beef diet was some other dumb poo poo

Iirc part of the reason for seeking medial advice in russia was that all the doctors in the US told him his diet was insane and wasn't helping him get over his addiction in the slightest.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mr Phillby posted:

Iirc part of the reason for seeking medial advice in russia was that all the doctors in the US told him his diet was insane and wasn't helping him get over his addiction in the slightest.

Nah the two are completely unrelated, other than the all-beef diet and the "Just pay Dr. Nick to put you into a coma to avoid benzo withdrawals" were both the idea of his daughter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is a shame that it didn't fry his brain badly enough for him to stop writing books.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

love this bonkers image from his twitter feed

I never knew Cummings worked on Zybourne Clock

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

It is a shame that it didn't fry his brain badly enough for him to stop writing books.

I don't think him frying his brain would stop him from writing more books, nor it would be possible to tell :v:

il_cornuto posted:

I get this quite a lot, usually just skirting the line where I can't quite yell at them for being racist but definitely making sure to mention the ethnicity of the specific person they have a problem with. Or "I know you're not supposed to say this these days but <problematic phrase>". I'm certain it's just because I'm white and have a fairly posh English accent.

I get the same thing quite often, in two distinct flavours.

1. English people conspiratorially complaining about "eastern bloc" migrants, not clocking me for being one

2. English people actually clocking me for being an "eastern bloc" fella, and then conspiratorially complaining about blacks/asians/whatever, assuming I'm as racist as they are

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The closest thing to an actual real life "These days, if you say you're English..." pub rant I heard was from a guy who was convinced that "these days, if you call the police to report a crime, you can't say even that it was a Lithuanian that did it, otherwise you get done for racism."

I mentioned that I'd be hard pressed to tell a person's nationality or ethnicity beyond like 'white' or something if they were fleeing a crime scene unless I knew them personally.

"Ah, but it's the Lithuanians who are coming here and causing all the crime."

Can't even cultivate bizarre ethnic conspiracies about crime and its causes without being called a racist, these days.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am impressed that Lithuania is doing it to. Considering it has a smaller population than London I am impressed.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Venomous posted:

Whenever he does this, Roland Barthes spins in his grave
Roland Barthes is not dead which may eternal lie,
And in strange aeons, even the author may die.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have to wonder what "get done for racism" means to people like that, do they actually think there are roaming squads of wokestapo going to send you to gay jail or something if you do a racism?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Being politely told off or being considered less good by other people.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I have to wonder what "get done for racism" means to people like that, do they actually think there are roaming squads of wokestapo going to send you to gay jail or something if you do a racism?

Things I would legitimately gulag people for re-education on (part 1/?).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I assume in his case it was police saying "sir, unless you know for a fact it was Lithuanians who are disturbing your plant pots, please stop bothering us with nonsense" or more likely something quite fictional that he'd been told by the pub racist grapevine.

Either that or Eastern Europeans really are going around doing crimes dressed like this just so that pub racists can better identify them

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was robbed by a bolshevik and the lady off a old butter packet.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

While it would be deeply unfair to the people of those nations who have to live here, it would be astonishingly easy to rob these people by putting on a fake moustache, learning a couple of words in whatever Eastern European language you fancy and putting on a crap accent. Hell, you could probably just take off the moustache when you get round the corner and they'd be none the wiser, like a racist, gammony Clark Kent.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
some lithuanian bloke is this country's some peurto rican guy

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Around the villages near where I used to live there was a brief spate of "women" in niqabs (is that the one? The Saudi one that covers everything) robbing post offices

iirc they turned out to be English dudes

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Lmao the Tory candidate is so bad the Speccy prefers Binface

https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1385589395709960195

This is great

quote:

Londoners, desperate for something that has been utterly lacking from all the major candidates, have scoured Binface’s manifesto and found that amongst the joke policies, there are some not half-bad ones in there. ‘No shop to be allowed to sell a croissant for more than £1,’ has been pounced upon as particularly noteworthy. The fact that maximum pastry pricing is one of the meatier policy announcements in this election says a great deal about the whole campaign to be London’s next mayor.

Sounds like a great election coming up.

The shitbird speaks:

https://twitter.com/GillianMcKeith/status/1385936184430452740

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Josef bugman posted:

I am impressed that Lithuania is doing it to. Considering it has a smaller population than London I am impressed.

Coarse it does cos they've all come over too engerland. But seriously... there's probably labour candidates writing leaflets decrying a Lithuanian infestation as we speak.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

il_cornuto posted:

I get this quite a lot, usually just skirting the line where I can't quite yell at them for being racist but definitely making sure to mention the ethnicity of the specific person they have a problem with. Or "I know you're not supposed to say this these days but <problematic phrase>". I'm certain it's just because I'm white and have a fairly posh English accent.

I am also white and have an unfortunately very posh English accent and I get this fairly regularly too.

I remember an anniversary meal being rather sullied - we went out to a locally renowned traditional ex-coaching inn. It February, there was snow on the ground, a big log fire in every grate. Like having dinner in a Quality Street tin picture. Meal over, we asked if we could have tea and dessert in the snug room that was also the waiting/reception area for the restaurant. While we were enjoying our drinks, a couple in their 50s or 60s came in and sat down while their table was made ready.

I have never experienced a conversation going from zero to fascist in so little time. This is, as close as I can remember it, verbaitm:

:v: :j: : This is nice isn't it?

:) : Yes it is. We're lucky to have it just down the road.

:v: :j: : Yes you are. We're from Kent and we get away as much as possible because where we live is full of foreigners and [GRT-related slur]

:yikes:

Then they proceeded to talk at us about how there were too many (foreign) lorries on all the roads, and how they had voted for Brexit specifically so the lorries wouldn't come down their road anymore (possibly making them one of the few Leave voters to get exactly what they wanted...), how Kent was - to judge by their description - just a dense sea of traveller's sites, immigration centres, homeless camps and B&Bs full of quote-unquote 'asylums' and undergoing some sort of violent crime wave that would make inner-urban Detroit in the 1980s seem like Henley-on-Thames.

It's so frustrating that it's generally seen as acceptable to have a good moan about tabloid target demographics without so much as a by or leave to strangers you encounter in public, but if I was to disagree with them in equally forceful tones and language I'd be the rear end in a top hat for being 'argumentative'. As it was I just stuck to occasionally saying "I really don't think that's true" or "it's not their fault - it's [government policy]" until they either ran out of reactionary talking points or realised that we weren't up for a back-slapping bigotry session.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Send em back, imo.

to kent.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Venomous posted:

e: 100 = January 1st, 2000: The Millennium Dome is opened, having cost £789 million (£1.38 thousand million if adjusted for inflation) to build. It was absolute shite, and it was closed at the end of the year and sold off for £28.7 million. In conclusion, New Labour was dogshit

If I'm reading correctly, the dome wasn't sold for £28.7 million, it cost the government £28.7 million to get rid of it.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
as a 10-year-old who had totally bought into the THE MILLENIUM hype and saw the adverts i badgered my dad into taking me down to london to see the dome. looking back it was kinda crap from what i remember and probably not worth forcing my dad to take me 400 miles down the country but i definitely had bad enough taste to enjoy it at the time

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Surprised gillian mcceith is still a thing, though she was drummed out of UK mediasphere after it came out she that she wasn't actually a doctor.

Edit: millennium anecdote, spend it working as a taxi controller in a manky portacabin for £3 pH. At midnight the computer system actually crashed totally and we had to old school it with post it notes on a big map. Called the owner who refused to believe that it happened because the y2k bug was just a big hoax obviously.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 24, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Borrovan posted:

Around the villages near where I used to live there was a brief spate of "women" in niqabs (is that the one? The Saudi one that covers everything) robbing post offices

iirc they turned out to be English dudes

Niqab leaves eyes free, burqa is full face with just a mesh panel to see through (as in the blue burqas seen in Afghanistan, and the sort of silvery black mesh panel on many women in Siwa (east Egypt - near the Libyan border).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/24118241

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I primarily remember the Millenium dome as a massively expensive background prop in a Bond film. I'd honestly forgotten about it's existence until it was mentioned in this thread.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
really want to see a Defunctland episode on the millenium dome now. how do i blackmail the guy

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Soylent Yellow posted:

I primarily remember the Millenium dome as a massively expensive background prop in a Bond film. I'd honestly forgotten about it's existence until it was mentioned in this thread.

It's now the O2 Arena.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

keep punching joe posted:

Surprised gillian mcceith is still a thing, though she was drummed out of UK mediasphere after it came out she that she wasn't actually a doctor.
Someone who is not a qualified expert whipping idiots into a frenzy at actual experts has been the entirety of public discourse over the 20teens, I'm surprised there aren't churches dedicated to her by now.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

So, there IS a point to Sir PlankOfWood after all!

As someone on Facebook commented: is this the new 'power point' instead of the 'power stance'.
I wonder if both could be combined?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Labour's communication team have listened very very hard to those people who criticised Cameron et al for that ridiculous thumb-pointing thing that was meant to appear less aggressive.

this is the new, powerfully strong and direct Kieth. he'll 'ave you, yes he will

when he's finished his ice cream, at least

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

CGI Stardust posted:

when he's finished his ice cream, at least

Loving the sly giving the photographer the bird in that pic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That looks like the lovely end of redcar seafront but that also looks like the steelworks in the background so i guess they kept using that railing all the way to hartlepool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
relevant to pubchatchat