Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Multiplayer mod is much better now. I recently played through it with a friend. It works, but ultimately the problem with subnautica is that there isn't a lot of stuff to do with two players. Base Building works, but is ultimately pointless, and there are no puzzles or anything made easier/harder or more interesting with two players. You need twice as many materials so you can each build a vehicle, but it doesn't really matter.

Both of you can board the cyclops, both can harvest materials, and both can explore on your own, or together. Be aware that your scan data doesn't carry over between sessions, so you'll "rediscover" what a peeper is every time you load back into the game. Blueprints stick around though.

The story is a bit fragile in general and with two players it'll be hard to track what you are supposed to be doing as the event log still isn't great. If anything, playing multiplayer might inspire the person who hasn't played it before to give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:psyduck:

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I was chilling in my cyclops doing some basic stuff when my cyclops suddenly tilted bow up, surfaced (from about 120m) and got relocated about 250m.

I still haven't figured out what happened.

Been enjoying playing this game before bed. I just explored the lost river for the first time and am getting stuff together to go into the lava zone under it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TheGreySpectre posted:

I was chilling in my cyclops doing some basic stuff when my cyclops suddenly tilted bow up, surfaced (from about 120m) and got relocated about 250m.

Sweet, Cyclops jump jets?! If you can HONK while you're in the air, you instantly win.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

Sweet, Cyclops jump jets?! If you can HONK while you're in the air, you instantly win.

I mean if modders can put arms on the seamoth...

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
can modders mod in a giant glock for the Prawn so I can get these god drat leviathans off my lawn

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Danaru posted:

can modders mod in a giant glock for the Prawn so I can get these god drat leviathans off my lawn

there's a mod for a cyclops laser and a seamoth laser, but no guns for the prawn

the only equivalent for the prawn is Drill Damage, just use it and a grappling arm and lay the hurt on the undesired beasties

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I accidentally figured out that the fire extinguisher works like a rocket underwater

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Inspector Hound posted:

I accidentally figured out that the fire extinguisher works like a rocket underwater

I've been following this thread for years and this is the first time anyone has ever mentioned this, holy poo poo

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
BRB reinstalling

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Complications posted:

there's a mod for a cyclops laser and a seamoth laser, but no guns for the prawn

the only equivalent for the prawn is Drill Damage, just use it and a grappling arm and lay the hurt on the undesired beasties
This might be tempting even if you don't want to go levithan hunting. Because I have lost track of the amount of times I was drilling nodes with the prawn, try to intercept a lava leech, and they just power on through the drill stabbing through them until they latch onto the cockpit and I need to climb out to get it off :sigh:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Complications posted:

There's a mod for a giant Repulsion Cannon gun-arm for the PRAWN.

It's...pretty powerful.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

EimiYoshikawa posted:

There's a mod for a giant Repulsion Cannon gun-arm for the PRAWN.

It's...pretty powerful.

I may or may not have used it to gently relocate the local gasopod population about 3 zip codes over.

It’s also powerful enough that you can just pick up and move things like thermal generators around instead of rebuilding them.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Any recommendations for dealing with lava mynock slug things? I feel like I have to get out of my cyclops every 30s to clear them off and even with that it still feels like I'm blowing through batteries.

I really wish there was a depth module for the seamoth that let me go down into the lava place. It's so much more fun to drive then the prawn or the cyclops.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

TheGreySpectre posted:

Any recommendations for dealing with lava mynock slug things? I feel like I have to get out of my cyclops every 30s to clear them off and even with that it still feels like I'm blowing through batteries.

Either use the shield or do what I did and just take the prawn the rest of the way and leave the cyclops at the entrance to the lava zone.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Leave the cyclops at the entrance, take the prawn and do your best to get the materials for the thermal power mod for the cyclops, which prints power extremely quickly there

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Jump jets plus grappling hook for the prawn lets you get everywhere you need to go very quickly in the lava zone.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I didn't realize how much energy silent running uses and now I feel like kind of a dumbass for wondering why my power was going down so quickly

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Beat it tonight. Never found the grapple. (Last part). I saved right before the end, so I can go back and build out the base more, and go gently caress up the reapers. ( I had one close encounter, otherwise stayed out of their zones.

Great game, going to be a top 5 for me this year for sure.

I’d recommend Once you think the story is done, or towards that point, glancing at a guide so you have.The materials you need for the end.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was interested in exterminating every reaper but the wiki says there are a whole 25 of them in the game, 10 around the aurora alone

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, pretty much everywhere you find a Reaper you find more than one. It's easy to flee one straight into the jaws of another.

While it isn't exactly spelled out, I think it's strongly implied in the deep Degasi base logs that the wounded Reaper that Maida brought down to the base ended up attracting a hungry Sea Dragon coming up from the Lost River.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

While it isn't exactly spelled out, I think it's strongly implied in the deep Degasi base logs that the wounded Reaper that Maida brought down to the base ended up attracting a hungry Sea Dragon coming up from the Lost River.

Nah, it's definitely a large Reaper. You can hear it screaming right at the end of the audio log where the conversation gets interrupted by the attack.

Also (fairly large BZ spoilers) Maida's audio logs confirm that it was a Reaper and she did manage to kill it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, pretty much everywhere you find a Reaper you find more than one. It's easy to flee one straight into the jaws of another.

Comrade Koba posted:

Nah, it's definitely a large Reaper. You can hear it screaming right at the end of the audio log where the conversation gets interrupted by the attack.

Also (fairly large BZ spoilers) Maida's audio logs confirm that it was a Reaper and she did manage to kill it.

I always get a laugh at how this sends what was probably not the intended message in the first game. "We need to kill poo poo to survive." "Please stop killing predators, it is mean to nature and I want live samples for SCIENCE!." "Okay, Fine. Jesus. Here, I didn't kill it this time." and you see exactly how well going full pacifist worked out for them.

I think there was also a lighter tone log about Harvesting stalker teeth directly from the habitank but I could never manage to find it again around the time they changed the Stasis gun description to no longer say "Due to high power consumption and non-lethality, conventional weapons are recommended for personal defenses"

Granted, I'm a big fan of the repulsion gun over the stasis gun because when it works, it WORKS :byewhore:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I won’t embed them here but I ran across a Subnautica post on Imgur, I chuckled: https://imgur.com/gallery/CdXs7Qb

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

I won’t embed them here but I ran across a Subnautica post on Imgur, I chuckled: https://imgur.com/gallery/CdXs7Qb

This brings back memories of killing myself with the seamoth in early access by bailing and ending up in front of it while it was going full speed.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Thats bad a habit that formed with BZ.
So now in the Seamoth when I hop out I get my spine severed every single time.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I've never done a playthrough of subnautica where I didn't park my seamoth at 199 above the mushroom degrassi base and do 3 to 5 stressfull loot dives.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I always assumed that was the intended approach really.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Depends on if you grab the free depth module from the Seamoth bay in the Aurora.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Parking it at 199m is too risky, a fish could bump it down to 200m, better to be on the safe side and stop at 195m.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I feel I musta played super cautiously in comparison, I treat the Seamoth like the glass sphere it basically is. Though I still got one smashed by a Reaper when I thoughtlessly left it behind the Aurora.

Interesting thing that the Crash Site seems to attract Reapers mostly because it's their ideal territory; the other places you find them are wide open spaces with little plant life and shallow to moderate depth.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I’m about 10 hours into my first play through on PS4 and I still haven’t found any Beacon fragments. I just raided the 250m Degasi habitat and have a decent little base going.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It's a shame, too, because that geothermal crater down the slope from the mushroom forest would make a great mid-game base location.

My bases were on the border of the safe shallows and grassy plateau, then midgame on the floating island with the vent, and late game in the lost river on the shelf overlooking the tree.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I was interested in exterminating every reaper but the wiki says there are a whole 25 of them in the game, 10 around the aurora alone

They respawn after a couple hours. I've probably offed the underside leviathans four or five times in a save while making materials trips for building my large topside bases.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

brainwrinkle posted:

I’m about 10 hours into my first play through on PS4 and I still haven’t found any Beacon fragments. I just raided the 250m Degasi habitat and have a decent little base going.

Beacon fragments are in the safe shallows at several places - scout a ring around the shallows and you should find some.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I found the beacon fragments right after complaining after searching the shallows some more.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The blueprint that took me forever was the compass. I'd built the Cyclops before I found it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Moon Slayer posted:

It's a shame, too, because that geothermal crater down the slope from the mushroom forest would make a great mid-game base location.

That is my favorite spot for a base. There are lots of things to look at and there is easy and unlimited power.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The blueprint that took me forever was the compass. I'd built the Cyclops before I found it.

I've built the Cyclops, Moon Pool, Prawn, but I still haven't been able to find the parts for the battery charger. I've got the power cell charger, but not batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I found tens of battery charger fragments in the wrecks in the Grassy Plateau.