Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Is beer on tap at work actually a thing

so like are you supposed to be hammered while writing code for ad algorithms lol

Wework. I don't know about other silicon Valley companies, but it was a feature they promoted to employees and customers. I went to a meeting in an office in Jakarta and was absolutely confused at its inclusion, and absolutely unsurprised nobody drinks the beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

so like are you supposed to be hammered while writing code for ad algorithms lol

I visited a startup with a tap like this once

there was a giant list of rules next to it that basically amounted to it would be on from 5pm-6pm only and you could have one beer.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It's a thing they can say they have which no one will ever use. As no employee, except upper management I guess, wants to be seen drinking on the job - even if it is technically ok.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

had a job once where the managers gave the most junior hire a few 20s to run out and buy some cases of beer each Friday at like 3pm. there were always leftover beers hanging out in the break room fridge, but no one got into them unless they were working late enough to be eating dinner there.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

fatelvis posted:

It's a thing they can say they have which no one will ever use. As no employee, except upper management I guess, wants to be seen drinking on the job - even if it is technically ok.

I've worked in a few environments with official work beer, it was nice and we definitely drank it lol.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

SchnorkIes posted:

I've worked in a few environments with official work beer, it was nice and we definitely drank it lol.

i feel like you get more work done if you're allowed to be slightly buzzed. maybe not when you're operating heavy machinery. i mean you'd probably get more work done there too but you'd lose a lot of time scrubbing the blood stains.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you guys need to work in outside sales. or at least with outside sales. sure you can’t expense a three martini lunch anymore but you can probably expense a Guinness if you claim a customer was there

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
the beer is for kids out of college who start drinking around 5, hang out for a while to socialize about work, then either go to a bar to continue talking about work (ie meetings the employees pay for) or put in a few more hours once the office is quiet enough to actually get work done

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I work in advertising and my CD starts most client meetings by giving us shots before it starts. That was precovid tho, I'm assuming most of my peers are getting liquored up off screen.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

uber_stoat posted:

i feel like you get more work done if you're allowed to be slightly buzzed. maybe not when you're operating heavy machinery. i mean you'd probably get more work done there too but you'd lose a lot of time scrubbing the blood stains.

This is the premise of Another Round

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I am definitely looking to work at a place that has beer on tap.

My old job one of the managers would bring a couple of growlers in on Friday afternoons, that was nice.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I work in advertising and my CD starts most client meetings by giving us shots before it starts. That was precovid tho, I'm assuming most of my peers are getting liquored up off screen.

I’m pretty sure advertising and journalism were the last oases for the lushes

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

The Saddest Rhino posted:

This is the premise of Another Round

i'm not familiar with that one. oh, it's a Mads movie, need to check that out.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

fatelvis posted:

I visited Oculus a couple of times, and they had refrigerators that had wine and beer in them. The employees said people mostly just hit them up during events and Friday afternoons.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Bushiz posted:

This might be true in the sense that the sort of people who were suckered into fake benefits like beer on tap and unlimited vacation are now being suckered into fake benefits where the company is woke.

Real hot take ya got here. While it's important that your job give good benefits and salary, it turns out that working at a place that's inclusive, diverse and emotionally safe is important to well-being in the workplace and enjoying the job you do. While the best of both worlds is probably what you should go for, I know people that would probably settle for diversity and wokeness over benefits because most benefits don't cover the therapy that is required to work in a hostile workplace.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
My current company is quite woke, at least at the official level I guess. The other day I had a sensitivity training meeting. I learned that instead of calling somebody a "beta-male" I should call them introverted instead.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gods_Butthole posted:

My current company is quite woke, at least at the official level I guess. The other day I had a sensitivity training meeting. I learned that instead of calling somebody a "beta-male" I should call them introverted instead.

Loving that I can't tell if this is a real thing that happened

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

pre-covid we would get beers for fridays or when people would stay after work to play d&d or something but no one like, drank during work

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

The Bloop posted:

Loving that I can't tell if this is a real thing that happened

Oh it's very real. I have a whole list of words and their appropriate substitutes. It started pretty normal with your typical "don't call women bossy, call them assertive instead", but then they brought out the male version which was hilarious.

Weak -> Honest
Sissy -> Compassionate
Crybaby -> Sentimental
Not a 'Real Man' -> Considerate
Beta Male -> Introverted
Pushover -> Helpful

I still prefer this to my old job where I once heard the owner say we "need to deal with the brown person problem in this country" amongst many many other horrendous things.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Real hot take ya got here. While it's important that your job give good benefits and salary, it turns out that working at a place that's inclusive, diverse and emotionally safe is important to well-being in the workplace and enjoying the job you do. While the best of both worlds is probably what you should go for, I know people that would probably settle for diversity and wokeness over benefits because most benefits don't cover the therapy that is required to work in a hostile workplace.

This, but also even as someone on the "privileged" side of everything, it's just good on its face.

All I want is a workplace that is maybe just passively evil instead of actively evil, but also secure enough that I can contribute to a 401k and I don't need to worry about them possibly missing payroll one day.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gods_Butthole posted:

Yeah no kidding! I was blown away by the breadth of knowledge. Thanks again for sharing.

Just watch out for the noticeable dropoff in the last 2ish years where he starts huffing his own farts and leaning too hard into his gimmick. Still a shitload of content there tho.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gods_Butthole posted:

I still prefer this to my old job where I once heard the owner say we "need to deal with the brown person problem in this country" amongst many many other horrendous things.

I mean sure, in the way I'd prefer to get herpes over AIDS

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

withak posted:

Just watch out for the noticeable dropoff in the last 2ish years where he starts huffing his own farts and leaning too hard into his gimmick. Still a shitload of content there tho.

Looking at his latest videos he's improved again but at times he was fuckin incomprehensible

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Gods_Butthole posted:

Oh it's very real. I have a whole list of words and their appropriate substitutes. It started pretty normal with your typical "don't call women bossy, call them assertive instead", but then they brought out the male version which was hilarious.

Weak -> Honest
Sissy -> Compassionate
Crybaby -> Sentimental
Not a 'Real Man' -> Considerate
Beta Male -> Introverted
Pushover -> Helpful

*standing up in this meeting* im sorry this is extremely cspam modded

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

more falafel please posted:

pre-covid we would get beers for fridays or when people would stay after work to play d&d or something but no one like, drank during work

I had a job where we drank in the parking lot constantly but that wasn't any kind of official work-endorsed thing, we just drank in the parking lot and then did our jobs lovely because we were drunk

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
i worked in a bar/restaurant for 6 years. everyone got drunk after work constantly, that is if they didn't show up to work drunk, and that's a big if.

You do an open shift saturday or sunday morning and half your staff is hung over or still drunk from the night before

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Sometimes people did heroin on lunch at my call center job.

Fuckin' Sprint.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Skulk Hogan posted:

Fuckin' Sprint.

oh my god heroin, jesus! Wow. What call center?? Just to know to not apply there

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Just work for Sprint for more than three months. You'll find heroin through sheer force of need.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Skulk Hogan posted:

Fuckin' Sprint.

Worked at a call center similar to that one, we got a lot of emails "gently reminding" us that there were to be no drug deals on company grounds and that the gym showers were 1 person max.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
If you ordered Dominoes Pizza from the Hammond, Indiana location in 2004 I am sorry to say that the guy who made it (me), and the Nazi who delivered it were both doing H while working. It may have gotten to you slow but at least I didn't give a gently caress and you got more than the recommended toppings.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

lmao who keeps letting squares into the asylum?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

the only time I was mad about drug use at work was a coworker agreed to meet me in the parking lot and she was apparently trying to kill herself via od and the idea was I'd find the body. A little peeved there. She lived. Still, not cool.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Zil posted:

Worked at a call center similar to that one, we got a lot of emails "gently reminding" us that there were to be no drug deals on company grounds and that the gym showers were 1 person max.

My friend Charles snorted H on the call center floor on multiple occasions. It was really inspirational.

Desert Bus posted:

If you ordered Dominoes Pizza from the Hammond, Indiana location in 2004 I am sorry to say that the guy who made it (me), and the Nazi who delivered it were both doing H while working. It may have gotten to you slow but at least I didn't give a gently caress and you got more than the recommended toppings.

Saints. :swoon:

Edit: I worked at a produce packing plant in Missouri once and a toilet got clogged with loving syringes.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Desert Bus posted:

. It may have gotten to you slow but at least I didn't give a gently caress and you got more than the recommended toppings.

We had a regular who every Saturday night would order delivery, a bacon cheese burger with extra extra cheese “loads Of cheese!” As she put it. Now my boss would say “that’s 3 slices of extra cheese, max!” But we made a game of seeing how much cheese we could reasonably fit on the burger for her. I think my record was 14 slices. And I had to melt it in sections and transfer it on to the burger.

Also she was crazy and she had a dog/wolf hybrid as a pet who looked like a demon dog but that’s neither here nor there

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

The Nastier Nate posted:

We had a regular who every Saturday night would order delivery, a bacon cheese burger with extra extra cheese “loads Of cheese!” As she put it. Now my boss would say “that’s 3 slices of extra cheese, max!” But we made a game of seeing how much cheese we could reasonably fit on the burger for her. I think my record was 14 slices. And I had to melt it in sections and transfer it on to the burger.

Also she was crazy and she had a dog/wolf hybrid as a pet who looked like a demon dog but that’s neither here nor there

We had a regular who would always show up past carry-out and get a thin crust with extra extra extra extra sauce, the more sauce the better. You couldn't make it the normal way where you coat it with cheese and shake the rest off because it would all just slide off. He tipped great though and I hope the people who worked there after me kept up the arrangement. This was 2004 Dominoe's sauce so it had to have been terrible, but slip me an extra $5 and sure, I'll make your lovely tomato soup pizza.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I don't know if this is more :allears: or :magical:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gods_Butthole posted:

I don't know if this is more :allears: or :magical:

Who's really the sociopath, the woman with a psychiatric condition or the man who plays tennis for Liberty U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/1386121283025342468