Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Maan I've been really enjoying this all day. Running around doing sidequests is very nice when you uncap your framerate and book it across the map :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It is genuinely buckwild that I’m playing a remake/remaster of an eleven year old game that I was warned against buying used from GameStop for ten bucks in 2010 because it’s “not very good”. It’s just absurdly weird that I live in a universe where square enix spent the money and time making and then promoting a game that literally killed a studio due to its, let’s say, fluctuating level of quality.

This is truly a strange time I am living in.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

NieR Occomata posted:

It is genuinely buckwild that I’m playing a remake/remaster of an eleven year old game that I was warned against buying used from GameStop for ten bucks in 2010 because it’s “not very good”. It’s just absurdly weird that I live in a universe where square enix spent the money and time making and then promoting a game that literally killed a studio due to its, let’s say, fluctuating level of quality.

Takahisa Taura gave Yoko Taro the gift of a gameplay system to match his ambitions. All he has to do is keep iterating now and these games will sell like hot cakes, hopefully.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

NieR Occomata posted:

Nier was a treasure on release so really this just it getting what it always deserved.

Which stands in contrast to Drakengard which is trash with an adding of trash. Fascinating trash! Buy very much trash. Looking forward to the re-release in 2023.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Uhh Weiss....why is that lady in her underwear

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
The voicelines in this game are S tier

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I used to characterize NieR one as the “best worst game ever made” and I still stand by it, but the controls and combat not being garbo in the remaster really does help sell it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Escobarbarian posted:

I definitely did every quest in the first half and it was on 50

this is a 10/10 troll

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone heard the Weiss edition soundtrack yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1hQAQywzA8

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Pierson posted:

How is the new combat engine? The swords-and-spells of the original was cool but a little basic. I don't expect them to have gone full DMC/Bayonetta but is it a lot closer to how good Automata's was?

There's actually a juggle mechanic present like the DMC games, for small enemies. Press jump and then immediately strong attack, it'll shoot them into the air, do light attacks, then strong again to slam them down.

Also after installing the default KS files, game runs more consistently at 60. Seems to have given me a 5-10FPS boost.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Arkage posted:

There's actually a juggle mechanic present like the DMC games, for small enemies. Press jump and then immediately strong attack, it'll shoot them into the air, do light attacks, then strong again to slam them down.

Also after installing the default KS files, game runs more consistently at 60. Seems to have given me a 5-10FPS boost.

It seems to disable Denuvo so that might be doin it

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Escobarbarian posted:

I definitely did every quest in the first half and it was on 50
There's one quest in Seafront that triggers late which Devola doesn't mention (in the original), featuring an idiot and his expensive girlfriend

Did you do that one and still have 50% completion?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Takahisa Taura gave Yoko Taro the gift of a gameplay system to match his ambitions. All he has to do is keep iterating now and these games will sell like hot cakes, hopefully.
now all we need is for someone to make a good Drakengard engine

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Blaziken386 posted:

There's one quest in Seafront that triggers late which Devola doesn't mention (in the original), featuring an idiot and his expensive girlfriend

now all we need is for someone to make a good Drakengard engine

I grabbed that one, Devola is all tapped out on quests, and I'm at 50%.

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
I'm having an absolute wtf moment

I died to the Barren Temple boss and they changed to the music to Nier Automata when I retry it and I'm losing my mind

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m like four and a half hours into the game and I only just realized that Triangle exists and is a completely separate attack from Square. :negative:

Ruffini posted:

I'm having an absolute wtf moment

I died to the Barren Temple boss and they changed to the music to Nier Automata when I retry it and I’m losing my mind

Might want to spoiler that, just in case.

vv :goleft:

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
REMASTERED NIER AUTOMATA MUSIC AT THAT

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh god these sidequests. I wish there was some way to differentiate between the ones that actually unlock stuff and the ones that just give cash. And now the game's mocking the fact that there's no fast travel.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blaziken386 posted:

I did indeed!

I’ve done everything in act 2 except for the climactic stuff so I’m back to side quests. Gideon why do you need ten titanium alloys to make one kitchen knife you loving poo poo

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Pollyanna posted:

I’m like four and a half hours into the game and I only just realized that Triangle exists and is a completely separate attack from Square. :negative:

Thanks for this because I didn't realize that triangle exists until this post. I can't even remember if the original had it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s not the most amazing game out there, but hell, I’m having fun. Junk Heap is a bit of an :effort: dungeon so far though.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Escobarbarian posted:

Is it true item drop rate is tied to difficulty because OH MY GOD farming in the Junk Heap is useless

God help you if you're looking for Titanium. :P

Memnaelar fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 24, 2021

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Memnaelar posted:

God help you if you're looking for Titanium. :P
would it really be NieR if the developers didn't hate you and your completionist ways??

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

100%ing this game sounds miserable.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

100%ing this game sounds miserable.
that is indeed the point, i'm at 33% of quests not having missed something yet but going after everything would be truly insane

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Pollyanna posted:

It’s not the most amazing game out there, but hell, I’m having fun. Junk Heap is a bit of an :effort: dungeon so far though.

I like how they looked at Junk Heap and realized it was so lovely, they had to add doors that don't open just to make it seem bigger than it is. Like when tiny restaurants cover their walls in mirrors to make the room seem bigger.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

BisbyWorl posted:

Son of a bitch I think they changed the quest split to 50/50 for the remake and the uncertainty is making me paranoid.

I’m also facing the same dilemma

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
For PC users that might still be experiencing the white screen of death on start up even after limiting it to 60 fps, it seems this game just cannot handle refresh rates above 60hz. My laptop only has settings of 60hz or 300hz, so I have to switch the display mode every time I want to boot up this game.

Other than that, thankfully no real problems running the game so far.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Is there like...another boar after the one you kill in the early quest for the tusk? I've heard so much about this thing but just killed it without doing any sort of standing-on-rock cheese and it was really easy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you finish the A ending you can access the DLC which makes getting certain drops (Titanium among them) much easier.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arkage posted:

Default KS files?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mid-game spoiler:

“She gave me the strength to deal with this goddamn mutant body! Do you know how long I’ve been like this? How much I loathe myself!?”

Kainé my babyyyyy :smith:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 1, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also, love2look something up on YouTube and get hit with endgame spoilers. New endgame spoilers. :negative:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

If you finish the A ending you can access the DLC which makes getting certain drops (Titanium among them) much easier.

Any chance you could elaborate on this?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I changed my mind and decided to give PC version a shot again after realized the PS4 version definitely isn't 4k (I think it's just 1080p) and also didn't seem to be consistently 60fps

I'm very glad I did, because I apparently fixed the issue and now it runs buttery smooth at 4k and max settings. The lowest the framerate ever goes is like 58/59.

The cause of the fix was likely one of the two (new) changes I made using SpecialK - I activated the Waitable Swap Chain thing and also Sleepless Render. When I didn't have luck earlier I was also using SpecialK, but hadn't set those two settings.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reminder for anyone who missed it that (big spoilers!!!) Grimoire Nier got a fan translation.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vEP2iZ52P-DWhQBQ2Is6R8Wjao99AGi0YuWShTvA-tA/preview

It provides backstory on stuff like the black scrawl, how things tie into Drakengard, the shades, weapon stories, etc.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, awesome! Thanks!

The weapon stories are in the game now, which is cool

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

drat, the part they added in where you get possessed and play as a shade is crazy!

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

MiddleOne posted:

Default KS files?

Meant Special K

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

very slight spoilers regarding The Lore of the series: there's a new loading screen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Anyone playing Replicant on a One S? If so, how's the framerate?